Ottawa Foodies Potluck 2010 [General]

2010 Sep 3
So I'm back in Ottawa after a summer in Toronto. I've tasted and cooked many new dishes but miss the friendly foodie community in Ottawa. That is why I am once again calling for another potluck before it gets too cold!

2010 Sep 7
FFD: are you making any suggestions about when and where?
I'd be interested.

2010 Sep 7
Potential dates, times and destinations would definitely make foodies inclined to sign up...myself included

2010 Sep 8
Agreed! I would also like to attend depending on date and location.

2010 Sep 8
I'm in, if it's after Sept. 25 I can smuggle back Corsican goodness.

2010 Sep 8
I'm relatviely new to this website/blog/community, but this sonds fun, depending on where/when i would be interested.

2010 Sep 8
Sunday september 26 in the afternoon? Outdoor (britannia park?) Unless we want to rent a place?

2010 Sep 10
I'm away that weekend. Perhaps if we try to book an indoor venue and hold it a little later in October, that way people can plan around a date?

2010 Sep 10
I've got a really large yard and 900 sq ft 2nd floor deck and 3 charcoal bbqs. Depending on the date, my place may be open.

2010 Sep 10
If people are interested, I have a connection and can book the party room at the new Lebreton Flats condo, which opens onto a large semi-private courtyard. The room has a limit of 75 people, chairs, its own washroom and a full-service kitchen. This is another possibility.

2010 Sep 11
I've just moved to the area and am new to this forum but that sounds like a wonderful idea! Just let me know how many portions to bring...

2010 Sep 12
Oh my god, the pressure of bringing a good dish! :) I think I have to go!

2010 Sep 13
hmm we need some organizing... Sadly I don't have those skills.

Food Film Director: how much would it cost to rent that space?

My free dates are: Oct 10, Oct 17, Oct 30, Nov 6-7, Nov 13-14, Nov 20-21

I'm guessing later than that is too close to Xmas.

Should we get Fresh Foodie to advertise it or something?

...now what shall I cook?!

2010 Sep 13
The party room seems ideal and I would love to attend. Now to think about a novel dish I could bring...

2010 Sep 13
Wow, both those venues seems pretty cool. I will be there if the date chosen fits my schedule.

2010 Sep 13
How does Oct17th work for everyone?

2010 Sep 13
The room can be booked for free, as long as it's in advance. I suggest a Saturday. Before we choose some options for dates, I first have to call my contact to see which dates the room can be booked. That could take up to a week. I'll get back to you on that as soon as possible.

2010 Sep 13
That would be awesome FFD! The only Saturday that I have free in October is the 30th.

2010 Sep 13
The 17th of October, she is not so good with me. I think all the other ones have potential.

2010 Sep 14
I suspect that Halloween might be a factor for some if doing this on the 30th.

AS for myself, I will be out of town the first and second weekend in October. I am hoping this event doesn't fall on either of those dates but understand that its hard to make everyone happy when choosing a date for an event with a big group. FFD, keep us posted and thank you for all your efforts.

2010 Sep 14
Can we put four dates up and have everybody vote on them? We can then take the date with the most votes.

I propose that we start with the following dates (all Sundays):

A. Oct 10
B. Oct 24
C. Nov. 7
D. Nov. 14

2010 Sep 14
I believe that November 7th and 14th will work. October 10th and 24th will not.

2010 Sep 14
So we have two good for Nov 7 or 14 and counting....

2010 Sep 14
Both days are good for me.

2010 Sep 14
Yes, please. One of the 7th or 14th. Absolutely not to the 10th of October - I'm hosting Thanksgiving.

2010 Sep 14
votes so far:

A. Oct 10 - 0
B. Oct 24 - 0
C. Nov. 7 - 4
D. Nov. 14 - 4

Shall we tally how many people are coming as well or am I getting ahead of myself?

2010 Sep 14
People can submit their potential dates. But don't tally them until I know which dates the room is actually available. I can tell you right now though that October 23rd is the absolute earliest it will likely be available.

2010 Sep 14
Sounds like fun, I'm good for Oct 24 or Nov 7.

XOXOXO KC

2010 Sep 15
Nov 7 and Nov 14 work for me

2010 Sep 15
So far....

A. Oct 10 - 0
B. Oct 24 - 1
C. Nov. 7 - 5
D. Nov. 14 - 6

2010 Sep 15
Available on any of the last 3 dates.

2010 Sep 15
7 or 14th work best.

2010 Sep 15
An easier way to aggregate the results:

whenisgood.net/foodies2010

The response seems to be in favour of the 7th or 14th, but I figure we should leave it open a bit longer.

2010 Sep 15
lwb - you may I suggest that you change your name to genius who bunches (gwb)

2010 Sep 15
I added my dates to LWBs site.

now: soon maybe we should have a "who brings what" list?...

2010 Sep 15
We should divide the food contributions into categories, like last time, to balance predictability and surprise.

List:
1. Appetizers, Soups, or Salads
2. Mains with meat, fish, and/or poultry
3. Vegetarian or vegan mains
4. Dessert or fruit
5. Alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages

Items:
1. Cutlery, plates
2. Cups
3. Napkins

Keep in mind I'm still trying to determine if there are any rules regarding the consumption of alcohol in the venue. Also, would it be too late in the year for barbequing? I'll ask if they have one.

2010 Sep 16
last time we did this I believe it was true pot luck - worked out pretty good I believe. Hopefully I can make it.

2010 Sep 16
Don't you know that it can never be too late in the year for barbequing? Just always make sure to keep a well shoveled path to the BBQ ;-)

2010 Sep 16
Last time, as sourdough said, I had a list of who was bringing what (or at least what they thought). I was the only one who knew, and did it merely so we didn't get 45 types of potato salad.

So far, everyone has said November 14. If you haven't replied yet, it's still open: whenisgood.net/foodies2010

2010 Sep 16
I'm having difficulty getting confirmation for those dates. My contact is very busy at the moment. If I can't get confirmation within a week, could someone arrange an alternative location for that date?

2010 Sep 16
Any idea how many people will there be? Can we rent the Urban Element?

2010 Sep 16
I talked to my contact and expect to get confirmation of our available dates by this coming Tuesday. I asked him to look at every Saturday and Sunday between October 23rd and November 14th.

2010 Sep 18
Love the idea but this fall is too crazy--when life settles down would love to particapate in one of these potlucks.

2010 Sep 21
bumping this up: please respond if you get the chance

whenisgood.net/foodies2010

2010 Sep 21
I've got my vote in.

2010 Sep 21
I would be interested in going if it is in October or after.
This weekend the 26th it is Capital Cupcake Camp..so a lot of people are going there!

I will make some tasty vegetable dishes.
I make a very good eggplant dip,beet and citrus salad, also do a lot of baking!

2010 Sep 22
Any date is good for me just let me know how many portions I'm looking at. Have to admit to being a little nervous though...

2010 Sep 22
Mark your calendars because the only date I was able to book the room was Sunday, November 7th, all day. If this date works, we can confirm the booking. If it doesn't, we can reject the booking and find somewhere else. Both options are fine with me.

2010 Sep 23
Good by me. :)

2010 Sep 23
Both options are good for me.

2010 Sep 23
The date looks fine. I've added it to my calendar.

2010 Sep 23
Fine with me

2010 Sep 23
Nov7th is good for me

2010 Sep 23
I'd offer my place as an alternative location but I'm not sure if I will be travelling or not at that time :( Right now it's looking like not, but I won't know for sure until late October.

2010 Sep 23
November 7th is good for us.

2010 Sep 23
Sounds good to me !!!! Nice to see some faces that link to our Foodies Names

2010 Sep 23
I assume this is for dinner. Should I book the room from 5 to 10 PM?

2010 Sep 24
Ah, crap! We're out of town that weekend!

2010 Sep 24
Dinner is good for me.

2010 Sep 24
Dinner is ok but I would have to be out of there by 8pm

2010 Sep 24
5-10 sounds about right...maybe 4-10 just to be on the safe side though. Also: a) this means there's no prep space? b) what is the cost associated with it?

Cheers

2010 Sep 24
will this be a family friendly event, or adults only?

2010 Sep 24
Yeah, family or adults only? Considering wearing a codpiece... let me know :|

2010 Sep 24
Made from real cod?

2010 Sep 24
4-10 would be better if possible. November is already dark outside :)

XOXOX KC

2010 Sep 24
- I can certainly do 4 - 10.
- All ages will be welcome. This was the approach last time. Alcohol was also available (but not in abundance). Of course, people were advised to use discretion when drinking and know their limits.
- There is prep space via a small but full-service kitchen (stove, fridge, microwave, counters, basic utensils). There are also tables and chairs
- There is no financial cost. The only stipulation is my friend who owns a condo in the building must be there. He is of course welcome as any guest. I've told him this and he said he may bring his own dish if there's time -but this is not guaranteed.

2010 Sep 27
Definitely up for this, Nov 7 is good for me.

I better find something else to do than pie this time. :)

2010 Sep 27
Nov. 7 works.

Just got back from the Mediterranean with an epic smuggling haul. Cheese, cookies, jams, cured meats, booze, vinegar, salts, wild herbs...now, the question is will anything be left in six weeks time? ha ha

2010 Sep 27
This should work for me as well.

2010 Sep 29
Can we say that this is confirmed for Nov 7th?

2010 Sep 29
I have confirmed the following details:

OttawaFoodies.com: Potluck 2010

Sunday, November 7th 2010
4:00 PM until people are too full to eat and drink any more
200 Lett Street (LeBreton Flats condo, Phase 1): Ground floor party room.

In a few weeks, I'll send out a detailed, secret survey of what people are planning to bring and how many will attend.

2010 Sep 30
FFD: Speaking from experience, it does not need to be detailed, nor particularly secret.

Survey Monkey worked well, but so would Google Forms.

All we need to know is:
-Username
-# of adults
-# of children
-Type of dish

I'm looking forward to this :D

2010 Sep 30
Alright.

On another note, should I invite Ron Eade?

2010 Sep 30
Too bad that I can't join you. I will be out of country.

2010 Sep 30
I certainly recommend inviting Ron Eade :)

2010 Sep 30
Can we get Ron Eade to speak?
He's my hero.

2010 Oct 8
adding 3 more foodies...Looking forward to this!

2010 Oct 9
I would be happy to attend with Nancy.
As for food, I would bring rillets or some other pate.
Cheers, to all. Nov. 7 at 4 p.m 200 Lett St.
Ron

2010 Oct 9
It's never too late in the season for Grilling and Smoking some tasty offerings. Being very new to this Forum, joined today,(Thanks Mr.Eade)my wife Jen and I would love to attend.
I would bring my trailer gill/smoker and prepare something special for the group.
Keep the Fire Hot!
Steph

2010 Oct 9
Wow! This event has suddenly been shifted light-years into the superlative. Thanx, Steph. To have Steph is exciting! This is a treat, with a special friend. Foodies.com should note and think seriously about attending this event! Steph is a special attendee, with stupidly great food!
Ron

2010 Oct 10
Too kind Ron.
Looking forward to spending some time with great new friends and some very kind old ones as well.
Here is a photo of my Honey and Dijon Frenched Lamb Chops Coated with Pecan Wood Cold Smoked Pecans.
Enjoy and Keep the Fire Hot!

2010 Oct 10
I'm glad more people are coming! Though don't give away too many secrets of your dish :p. Reading your posts is making my mouth water!

For all those interested in coming, within the next few days I'll post the link to the RSVP survey including what you'll bring and how many people plan to join you in your party.

2010 Oct 10
Perfect. As I said, put me down for rillettes. (Am making it today, but will make more.)
BTW, here's a pix of a kitchen project 2 weeks ago. Nancy was not impressed. (Relax. No jaw bones in my rillettes.)

2010 Oct 10
I only hope that the two new guests will remain active on OF. They certainly have a great deal to offer, and it's been a shame not seen Ron around these parts for the last few months.

I do, however, look forward to meeting you both!

2010 Oct 10
LWB,thanks for bringing that up re: level of activity on OF. I have been holding off on joining the event because I figure I am not a heavy OF participant compared to others that going. I thought it was more geared for 'gold' status.

2010 Oct 10
oh, heavens, no. at least, last year when we ran it there were all sorts of folk on there. names that i recognized and those that i didn't. it's a good opportunity to connect.

i'm quite pleased to see ron and his friend coming out - that said, i'd hate to see them treated as 'special' guests, different from anyone else who frequents this site.

2010 Oct 10
Thanks for that LWB. I hear you. There are many amazing foodies in Ottawa, either heavily contributing on this site or on their blogs or both. And from my vantage point, I am completely in awe at all that dedication to food in this city. That makes for a room full of some very special guests all round.

2010 Oct 10
I just found out open outdoor cooking is not permitted on the property of the potluck. Even residents can't light up barbeques on their own balconies! I hope that doesn't dissuade anyone from coming.

2010 Oct 11
Food film:
No BBQ allowed? That is unfortunate. I'm wondering, Steph, can you pre-do anything and heat on premises? Maybe a pre-do pulled pork sandwich ... Are ovens/microwaves allowed on the premises? Is there access to either?

2010 Oct 11
As I mentioned earlier, there is a full kitchen connected to the party room with oven, stove, microwave, fridge, etc. We can use it all we want.

2010 Oct 11
not sure I can make it
still convalescing after a month with h3n2 flu

2010 Oct 11
Steph, what can you do given limitations? Of course, I can still do fresh rillettes. Very Tasty.

2010 Oct 11
Hmmmmm.......no grills eh.........very unfortunate.
I will dig deep into my bag of BBQ tricks and come out with some tasty offerings to present to the assembled masses. No worries.
By the way this is the grill I was going to use, my Traeger COM190. 144,000 BTUs of grilling and smoking goodness.

2010 Oct 12
I am interested in going!

Not too sure what I could bring.
-since everyone seems to be making very good meat dishes.
I do not really cook much meats.

But I can make some very good chocolate chip cookies with either pecans,walnuts or macadamia nuts.

-I can also make some really good fudge-like chocolate and walnut fudge

or last night I made a chocolate rasberry cake and it was topped with a dark chocolate citrus mousse.
The cake is quite rich as it used 1 cup of whole rasberry purred and the mousse was made with a 70% cocoa chocolate bar.
-next time I'll use a 50% cocoa regular bar as this mousse is too rich for me (even tho it is good).

I had gotten the idea for the chocolate rasberry cake from Malak pastry.
they have the same flavor of ice cream there, dark chocolate and rasberry and I thought it would be good as a cake.
-the man who makes the ice creams at their store was very helpful and told me how they get the rasberry flavor in their ice cream (they use real rasberries...)
I did that for my cake and it worked great :)

2010 Oct 12
Chocolate is a food group--we need more than meat! Right now on Iron Chef the theme is cooking dinner with chocolate (8:55 Tuesday evening). BBQ is great but we need sides, salads and desssserts!

2010 Oct 12
Are the Iron Chef people cooking a chocolate cake on the BBq?
I have heard of smoked chocolate cake before..I think?

Whatever I make will be in an oven..have no bbq here.
or microwave for the fudge maybe..surprized how easy it is to do in the microwave.

I have actually never seen Iron Chef!

2010 Oct 13
I was hoping to some some mini scone sandwiches, with smoked scallop, and granish, but I can do a side or (ugh...) dessert if need be....

Oh, also I am in,

2010 Oct 13
Guys! Guys! Guys! What made last year a success was that we didn't nit-pick about who was bringing what. Bring whatever the hell you feel like. The true test of a potluck is when there are 45 different coleslaws and people don't go home hungry.

If people want, I can pull up the list of what was brought last summer, so you can get an idea.

2010 Oct 13
I agree, let's keep it simple and a surprise for participants. To help with this, I would like to unveil...

(remove imaginary curtain)

The Official OttawaFoodies.com Potluck 2010 survey
www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z3YXS73

If you intend to come, please fill out the short survey by November 2nd. I designed it for the same reasons LWB made her survey last year: to ensure variety of dishes and that there will be plates, cutlery, condiments, etc. All responses will be sent to my email only. I look forward to your replies!

2010 Oct 13
I added it to comments on the survey monkey - but name tags with your OF moniker as well as your first name would be nice.

2010 Oct 13
Hi Lady Who Brunches,
I agree. Take what you get. I didn't mean people need to follow food shows. I've been to lots of potlucks with 4 potato salads and 6 brownies (you get what I mean)...but all yummy! Bring your favourites at all potlucks. I will fill out the survey so maybe we won't have 10 potato salads and 20 coleslaws! And if we do, who cares!

2010 Oct 14
I'm in if the Nov 7th date is firm. I don't have my kids that weekend and haven't been asked to work.

2010 Oct 25
I'm in. My first foray with a foodie potluck. It has been fun bringing out recipes. Should it be tried and true or something new?
It's hard not to put a bit of pressure on yourself to bring something people will enjoy, especially reading some of the other offerings, but I like to cook and eat so think things will work out.

2010 Oct 25
My advice is bring whatever you want!

Here's an update on the potluck's official survey:

- 14 people will be attending
- most dishes will be an appetizer/soup/salad

Also, based on some people's suggestions, to reduce waste we should bring our own dishes, cups, and cutlery.

2010 Oct 29
Nov 07 -- I'm still on. Anyone else? Am buying ingreds and making rilletes this weekend for the event. How many people? Am keen to meet Ottawafoodies.com friends. Yous in Omnivores, Ron.

2010 Oct 29
As of today, about 15 people are expected to come. However, the deadline to fill out the survey is Thursday, November 4th. So I assume not all expected participants have filled out the survey. By the way, you're welcome to come even if you don't fill out the survey. However, filling out the essential info helps people determine portion size for their dishes. As a preliminary guide, last year people were encouraged to make enough for 10 to 15 meal-size portions (which becomes 20 to 30 typical sample-size portions).

2010 Oct 31
To clarify, that was 10-15 meal size portions for 30 people, so scale down for 15 people to maybe 6-8 portions? FFD, can you post the final count for people. Thanks!

2010 Oct 31
Will do! I'll post it by the deadline, which is Thursday, but can tell you now that the current total is 16.

At this time, apart from myself, the following potluck participants have filled out the survey:
Isabelle
Travelicious
solstice
little foodista
Mousseline
Poutine
omnivore's ottawa
sourdough
Jagash
Pasta lover

2010 Oct 31
Sorry, forgot about the survey. I sent it in. Looking forward to it!

2010 Nov 1
Food Film Director Is alcohol permitted? I'm just wondering if I can bring a bottle of wine...

2010 Nov 1
Alcohol is permitted (as host I should probably say this even though it should be obvious) as long as people are drinking responsibly.

2010 Nov 2
I will arrive at 200 Lett around 3 PM on Sunday. I would welcome anyone who arrives early to help set up tables and chairs.

2010 Nov 2
Just filled out the survey--3 of us are coming. We have filled out the survey and will keep a look out for needs and what is going on.

2010 Nov 3
Is there still a call for "main dish" types? I have one dessert lined up which I can do in my sleep, but could try something new... (and test it on friends beforehand!)

2010 Nov 3
Do them both I say! The more the merrier!

But seriously, do whatever you think is best.

2010 Nov 4
Taking into account some last-minute changes by people who already filled out the survey, the current expected attendance for the potluck is 23. If you haven't already submitted the survey but intend to come, please fill it out as soon as possible because the survey closes tonight at midnight.

While I have your attention, here is some useful info on how to get to the potluck for various modes of transportation:

Bus and on foot: The closest major stop is LeBreton Station. From LeBreton, walk 200 metres north on Booth Street, then 150 metres east (right) on Fleet Street (Warning: no sidewalk), and about 100 metres north (left) on Lett Street. The entrance to the event will either be through the front entrance or through the courtyard (accessible from near the front entry) to the door on your left directly connecting the party room to the courtyard.

Bicycle: If you're coming from Scott Street, it's the same directions as above. If you're coming from the Ottawa River bike path, take one of the two exits to Vimy Place, which you take past the War Museum to Booth Street, turn right on Booth then immediately left at the Ottawa River Parkway, then travel 150 metres east to Lett Street, where you turn right and will approach the building entrance on your left. If you exited the bike path at the old Preston interchange, follow the path about 600 metres to Booth Street, turn left on Booth and follow the walking directions. I'm pretty sure there are bike racks near the building's entrance.

Automobile: From Booth, turn right onto Fleet. There is parking on a gravel lot on Fleet and paved spots on Lett. There is also parking along the Ottawa River Parkway.

I look forward to seeing you all there!

2010 Nov 5
Oh, I have a potential +1 for the last few hours of the Potluck.

2010 Nov 5
The last few hours?

How long are we expecting the potluck to last?

I wasn't at the first one, how long did it last?

Not that I don't enjoy long hours talking about food. I'd just like to be able to give some kind of estimate of when I expect to be back home ;-)

2010 Nov 5
haha... good question! I think the last one petered out around 8pm, but a few of us hung around various places for another couple of hours after that. :-)

This one starts a little earlier, which fits well with the move away from Daylight Saving Time, so it may end a little earlier too.

2010 Nov 5
Isabelle I believe the room is booked from 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm. As I recall from last year people were coming and going between those times. It's up to you how long you would like to stay.

FoodFilmDirector You mentioned that the potluck will be held in a ground floor party room. Does it have a separate entrance or will we need a ring # to get in?...

2010 Nov 5
That is why I said in the directions that the entry will either be through the front door or the courtyard, depending on what the guy I got permission to use the room recommends. If it's through the front door, I'll ensure there's always someone at the entry looking out for guests.

2010 Nov 6
I'm getting excited about tomorrow but have to mention that Grilling Gourmet unfortunately won't be able to make it because a last minute job conflict came up. That shouldn't dampen people's excitement though. See you tomorrow!

2010 Nov 6
Have a blast everyone! Wish I was in town for this.

2010 Nov 6
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it. I hope everyone has a good time. If its anything like the previous get together you'll leave, full and happy. I'll be nursing the rest of the family back to health. I'm thinking some smoked pulled pork aught to do it.

2010 Nov 7
I'm excited! I'll have to concoct one of my dishes there, because it doesn't transport well, and is best when just-made. Which is why i am doing it because there's a kitchen. :) I'm bringing my own pots, because I trust and know them.

The other was done way late, but should be edible, just not right as I arrive... but it's dessert, so it can wait a little. :)

And a small libation...

2010 Nov 7
So sorry I could not make it out for this fantastic event. Small mid afternoon dinner catering job and chocolate smoking demonstration......next time.

2010 Nov 7
Went early to help Food Film Director set up and have just made it home--the potluck is probably just winding down. The food was incredibly delicious--I have lots of new ideas! But just wanted to say a big thank you to Freshfoodie for getting this whole Ottawafoodies thing going and to Food Film Director for organizing and setting up this potluck. What a great evening--thanks for all the yummy food (and Canadian libations!)

2010 Nov 7
SO
MUCH
GOOD
FOOD

Yeah. As good as last time, with some new people. I'm stuffed. And yes, I ate along with everyone else while I was in the kitchen! I snuck out and served myself. You think I could stay away from the food?

Grilling Gourmet, I'm now curious about the concept of "chocolate smoking". Is the chocolate the item being smoked, or is the chocolate used to smoke something else?

Recipe thread in 3... 2... 1...

2010 Nov 7
Hello Niall,
The chocolate is the item being smoked. I use a cold smoke method using different woods for different applications. Today I used my chocolate for a few items; a smoked chocolate orange creamsicle martini as well as a smoked chocolate ribbon of flavour in my 4 chocolate grilled cheesecake with smoked chocolate and wild berry coulis.

2010 Nov 7
Grilling Gourmet- that sounds interesting!
I have heard of a smoked chocolate cake somewhere before.

Also I know someone on another forum that made tobacco ice cream with bourbon and apparently it was good...dount it was smoked but still.

I know there is the Salty Don in Kanata that smokes herbs and spices and sells those.

---------------
What was the dishes served at the potluck?
if there is another one sometime I'll try and make it.

2010 Nov 8
Thanks again to Food Film Director for organizing the potluck. There was so much good food to sample. I. am. so. full.

Prettytastyreviews There was alot of food out on the buffet table so I am probably missing a few things. Off the top of my head: roast pork, a potato dish, a couple of salads, carrot burgers, pork rillettes, and chicken pâté. Desserts included a chocolate cake, chocolate caramel tart, tiramisu, and cookies.

2010 Nov 8
For those who could not make it ...Anyone got any pics to share ?

2010 Nov 9
Ron Eade took photos and has posted a thoughtful writeup on his blog: communities.canada.com

I usually avoid journalists because I rarely appreciate the spin they put on things, but I feel that Ron did us justice here. Thanks, Ron!

2010 Nov 9
I am so sad that I couldn't attend :(
But I will next time!!

2010 Nov 9
Mark the date, boys and girls.

November 9, 2010: Local media outlet officially calls Ottawa Foodies "unpretentious."

2010 Nov 9
Very upset I couldn't attend, but family commitments kept me in Toronto Last weekend. I actually stopped reading what was served after awhile, too much jealousy.

2010 Nov 9
Thanks to everyone for contributing to an enjoyable time. Particular thanks to Fresh Foodie and Food Film Director for making it all happen. Looking forward to the next opportunity to meet again...

2010 Nov 9
Thanks, Fresh Foodie. BTW, I usually avoid journalists, too, but because they are frequently self-absorbed. Come to think of it, so is the blogosphere. But I digress ... It was a fun evening. My appreciation to all those kind words about my rillettes. Hope no one had a heart attack afterward.

2010 Nov 9
So are we sworn to secrecy, or are we allowed to name names in these photos?

2010 Nov 9
Or at least ottawa foodies handles?

Both photos from Omnivore's Ottawa blog (Ron Eade)

2010 Nov 9
Nice touch, zym,
Bottom line: Am terrified of getting names wrong, or misspelled, or basically screwed up. If you can do L-R that would be welcomed.
Kind regards.

2010 Nov 9
Since this forum is readable by the entire internet, I would ask that everyone please play it safe and respect people's right to privacy.

Those of us who have no problem being known "visually" will likely already have our faces in our profile pics here. :-)

2010 Nov 9
Thanx, Fresh Foodie,
Am not trying to be difficult. I was assured those in my pix were good with that, but did not identify by name. If they choose, I would be happy to amend the blog.
In any case, it was a delightful event.
Kind regards to all.
Omnivore's Ottawa

2010 Nov 9
Ron Eade, I didn't mean to come across as quite so stern. :-) I'm sure nobody minds if you mention their nickname. I was specifically concerned about having names attached directly to faces. What you have in your article is great!

2010 Nov 9
No photos at our table, but tx OO, it was great to have you there...maybe next year we can find a date away from the Food & Wine Show!

2010 Nov 10
It was a great pleasure to attend, not to mention I was hidden from the photos by being at W.C's table. :)

Great article and great event; I can't wait for the next one!

2010 Nov 10
If people don't mind having their pictures taken and identified by their handles I don't see a problem. Especially since I am not in the photos (I like to keep a low profile here because some of my co-workers visit this website). Not to mention that I was probably parked at the buffet table when the cameras came out-;) I am already looking forward to the next potluck!

2010 Nov 12
I'm in the first photo, 3rd from the right - the only one eating. Meaning it was pretty late since I was out of the kitchen. :) I didn't even see the photo being taken... I was paying attention to the food! (Though I don't mind the photos.)

2010 Nov 14
I'm in the second photo, 2nd from left. The food was delicious I tried a bit of everything. I brought a beet salad (will post in recipe forum) and lasagna which i'm sorry to say my homemade pasta was the opposite of al dente.
I have put the recipes posted so far on file.
thanks so much FFD for arranging the potluck. I know you put a lot of time and effort into it.
It was nice meeting new people. With cooking in common, conversations were easy, moving from food, travel and in between. Ron Eade has some very funny stories

2010 Nov 15
solstice So you're the one that brought the yummy lasagna-;) Would you share that recipe too?

2010 Nov 15
I'm in the second picture, 1st one on the right, looking right at the camera.