What is your secret foodie shame? [General]

2011 Feb 2
Thought it might be fun to have a confession thread of guilty pleasures. Not road food, diner or street food etc., which I think all of us enjoy, but hideous chemical filled crap food that we eat in secret. I'll go first. Kraft dinner with wonder bread slathered with butter. I usually will at least grate some real cheese into the kraft dinner. My deepest shame comes from my own squalid concoction: the kraft dinner sandwich which is best when the butter is ice cold and chunky from the fridge and melts slowly into the macaroni. Yes I might be white trash. Don't hate me for it.

2011 Feb 2
instant hollandaise sauce on toast.

2011 Feb 2
The only processed foods I like are chips and cheezies. Which is why I never have them in the house - otherwise I will look like Humpty Dumpty-;)

I do like interesting food combinations however. I just finished a rye sandwich with sliced hard boiled eggs and anchovies.

2011 Feb 2
I've already admitted this on my profile...KFC, once a year. Also, Cheetos Crunchits. When I was growing up, my mother baked all our bread and consequently, it was a HUGE treat for me to eat bought white sliced bread at friends' homes.

2011 Feb 2
Poptarts. I am so weak when it comes to the sugary goodness.

2011 Feb 2
* KFC
* Peanut Butter Oh Henry bars
* Oreo milkshakes
* Cheezies (Hawkins)
* Nacho chips with that plastic cheese

Poutine too, of course -- but there's no shame in that!!

2011 Feb 2
I notice the colour orange is a common thread in most responses. :)

This question was previously asked here:
Forum - Getting to know you...

2011 Feb 2
i second nacho chips with the tostitos cheese dip.....

2011 Feb 2
There used to be so many fake food guilty pleasures I used to have!

Now I can think of only one, because I've found that when you stop eating crapy food often (which I did for many years) it doesn't taste as good. Kinda disappointing in a weird way.

So my fake food favorite? Rockets. Although I'm not sure if Rockets count as food! But I think I could eat a pound in sitting! Would probably kill a lab rat.

The rye bread with eggs and sardines sounds kind of yummy. Think I'd add mayo. Maybe even olives for some extra salt!

2011 Feb 2
organicgirl I know about losing the taste for those guilty pleasures - if I were asked this same question 20 years ago I would probably have been able to provide a list-;) But I was in a long term relationship a few years ago with someone who liked to cook as much as me. Even when the relationship ended I just never went back to all that KD I used to enjoy.

As for the rye bread I had anchovies today but sardines are another favourite. My dad used to like sardines and ketchup. I used to remind him that you can now buy sardines in tomato sauce and he would say "but they don't use ketchup in that sauce". I guess some habits never die...

2011 Feb 2
7-layer burrito from Taco Bell!! Can't help but have at least one of these every time I go to Bayshore.

2011 Feb 2
"Poutine too, of course -- but there's no shame in that!!"

What about poutine once a week? ... I work in Hull.

2011 Feb 2
Joe Louis

2011 Feb 2
I like Kraft dinner with a lot of pepper on it, Vachon Ah Caramel cakes, and gummies.

2011 Feb 3
I like the Ah Caramel cakes- but can't remember when I are one last? 2 years ago maybe.

Really hate anything with fake cheese, always have, even as a kid I liked brie and Camembert better or medium cheddar :)

I like the Haribo cola gummies, also the Good Humour fudgesicles and the Strawberry shortcake popsicles.

But I have no idea when was the last time I ate those- at least 2+ years ago.

Usually I don't have very much artificial stuff that I eat.
most of the "junk food" I have does not have anything artificial in it.

I like chocolate fudge,but usually make my own.
Also I like the maple toffee you can buy in the market, the stuff they eat over snow at the sugarbush.
Not really a "chemical food" but that much sugar is not good for anyone.

I'll also add Laura Secord buttermallow bars, mashmallow brooms.

2011 Feb 3
Pretty Tasty - I think it's been 30 years since I had one of those strawberry shortcake popsicles. Used to get them when the good humour truck came through the neighbourhood. Thanks for that memory!

2011 Feb 3
McDonald's cheeseburger.

2011 Feb 3
I'm glad it was specified that street food/diner/hole-the-wall didn't count because the list would be long...

Humpty Dumpty salt and vinegar chips. I eat them until the roof of my mouth starts to peel. I really have to stay away from them.

2011 Feb 3
Humpty Dumpty BBQ chips and sometimes I sprinkle vinegar on them in a bowl a bit at a time. When mom & I started doing this years ago, an open bag was an empty bag.

KD and lime Jello, is a comfort food meal. Yes, we make amazing Mac & Cheese from scratch. Sometimes baked with a nice crust, sometimes not. Sometimes with sausage or baccon often not. Very cheezy very yummy but KD is in another category. Comfort food is often associated with childhood, tradition and memories isn't usually gourmet and it isn't necessacarily rational or the best but it is what it is. No guilt involved.

Occasional period craving of KFC's fries with gravy and the more occasional piece of chicken.

2011 Feb 3
chocolate
potato chips

2011 Feb 3
Microwave Hot Dogs (the shame!!!!) and instant noodles

2011 Feb 3
Poutine with ketchup
McDo quarter pounder with extra pickles and McChicken sauce
Au Coq quarter leg chicken meal...yummmmm

2011 Feb 3
Almost forgot this one.

Bubble Gum Ice Cream!!!

I don't know why I like it so much but I love love love it, the way I love Gianduja or Coconut gelato. Ice cream is the best medium for bubble gum flavour because you swallow it before the taste fades.

2011 Feb 3
KD with sriracha sauce mixed in, and i can't get enough jalapeno doritos

2011 Feb 3
I see I'm not alone with my predilection for KD, but thanks for the variations. Will definitely try it with Sriracha, and green IS the best flavor for jello. Bubble gum ice cream is wonderful, but my favorite "crap" ice cream flavor is birthday cake. Love all those chunks of frosting mixed in.

2011 Feb 3
DOUBLE Jos Louis

2011 Feb 4
Strawberry shortcake ice cream bars are nostalgia for me.... ah childhood.

Have you ever tried chocolate covered potato chips..... their YUM!!!! Discovered them when I was in PEI. I think they used Humpty Dumpty chips.

2011 Feb 4
Is there any foodie shame in loving licorice pipes and cigars (and babies too)...

2011 Feb 4
I have no shame still in eating anything Vachon makes. It tastes good, and they never tried to pretend they were healthy. (Anyone else remember their ad campaign with a Jos Louis on a bed of bean sprouts?)

Now, Humpty Dumpty orange cheesies, on the other hand... so not good for me, and I'm so weak... glad I only break at work where the tuck shop sells the small bags. I can resist the big bags at the supermarket.

I had some KD this week, after not eating it for years. Yeah, I'm not particularly missing it anymore.

Rockets? Brint it on. I have a roll in my coat pocket for... emergencies. (Though it'd be better used as an actual emergency for someone else's hypoglycemic attack...)

2011 Feb 4
Definitely Hawkins Cheezies. They taste like trips to the cottage! No wonder our decks of cards always were stained with orange gunk...

2011 Feb 4
Oh orange cheesies, I have a problem with them - my wife thinks I'm insane, but I like to eat them with chopsticks to keep the orange crap off my fingers.

2011 Feb 4
tre ~ how very civilized. Fantastic.

2011 Feb 4
I LOVE the chopsticks tre

2011 Feb 4
@Prettytasty - the buttermallow bars became my all time fav chocolate bar when I was 7 or 8 and got a mini one in my halloween bag. Sadly, they do not sell them as a bar anymore - you can only get a chocolate square now :( I rarely eat chocolate.

Candy is my big thing, but I also remember bubble gum and root beer jello.

Green jello is the bomb and is really the only thing I eat from the dessert area if I am "forced" to go to cheaper buffets.

Tostitos medium salsa (blended so each bite has punch) with chips is something I eat alot of and always have.

Now and then I will have a Mcdo hamburger with extra pickles and a small fry with ketchup. I hardly eat any salt, so it is quite a treat lol.

2011 Feb 4
Schnicken, I did buy 2 Buttermallow bars in January (when I used a coupon from Groupon too).

Bought them at the Billings Bridge store and was told they brought the bar back.
They are more expensive and their "special" is 2 for $3 or $2 for 1.
I only bought 2 of the bars and tried to limit myself.

-The chips with salt are interesting.
When I was a kid and went to a Flea Market in Nepean there was a lady there who had a table with homemade fudge,candies ect.
She actually has chocolate covered potato chips and this was at least 20 years ago.
It was actually pretty popular and she would sell out almost every week,

2011 Feb 5
OMG! Thank you pretty - that's awesome :)

2011 Feb 8
Nacho chips with salsa and cheese at the movie theatres. That fake cheese that nearly glows in the dark.

2011 Feb 8
Cherry Blossom candy chocolates-those are hard to find though.

Bridge Mixture chocolate mix,I just tried the generic Zellers brand in the box...bleh,could not finish..yuck!

Jellybeans.I like Jelly Belly,but also the PC no name jelly beans.
just bought some Life Brand jelly beans and those are just yuck,weird flavors,and not too sure where those are made. "packaged in Canada" whatever that means

2011 Feb 8
that's why it say's it's packaged in Canada, they know its crap haha.

Man, I love twinkies. I can eat a box in one sitting. I remember from watching unwrapped that it was made with banana cream at one point. wonder what that tasted like.

Oh yeah, mcdonalds fries. Wonder if someone tried to make poutine out of it.

2011 Feb 9
Geez I haven't had a Cherry Blossom in ages - time to add some to my chocolate stash in the fridge. If I find any I can keep you posted...

My mom was in a knitting club for many years and she used to buy licorice allsorts for the nights the club ladies came over. I was never allowed any before but I was always allowed polishing off the leftovers the next day-;) I still love licorice...

2011 Feb 9
I remember one time that McDonalds did serve poutine.... it was probably a limited time and were testing the market. Just like when they went into the pizza business too.... I remember the location at Rideau when it still had the seating upstairs... you had the option to have all you can eat pizza.

Try Sugar Mountain for the Cherry Blossoms...or maybe Bulk Barn.

2011 Feb 9
Cherry Blossom's they sell the 4 pack at Walmart :)
I buy that one (but not yet last year... and Walmart is the best place to get it as it is wrapped up in sealed plastic with the 4 blossoms.

Zellers should have those too.
I have also seen Cherry Blossoms at the cash at Independent and Loblaws.

-I actually have some licorice alsorts here,got them for Chrismas.
The Life brand ones are actually decent, the tin even says they are made with natural colour and natural flavors only.

McDonalds in Quebec usually has poutine. I'm pretty sure they still do now.
I can't really eat McD fries or anything fried from there without getting sick.
I can not tolerate their cooking oil they use....maybe that is a good thing though!

2011 Feb 11
I'll post a follow-up to the Art-Is-In thread, because I don't want to hijack it with pointless drivel.

for the record, I haven't bought McCain Deep and Delicious cake in years (it was good in university!) ... so it's not one of my foodie shame!!! but I do remember it being good munchies.

2011 Feb 11
Prepare two boxes of President's Choice Macaroni & White Cheese Dinner.
Cut a can of SPAM into small cubes and cook in butter until they get crunchy on the outside.
Combine, and enjoy with a huge glass of milk.

I can only do this when I'm alone because the Dragonlady says there is too much salt in SPAM.
That makes it both shameful and secret.

2011 Feb 11
Chef Boyardee Mini Ravioli. I buy it when it's on sale, hid it from the kids, and eat it when they're in bed. I add extra salt so that it tastes the way it did when I was a kid. Gross, but delicious. The kids aren't allowed to eat it.. LOL

2011 Feb 12
Funny,
I have never eaten Spam or any canned meats or pasta things!

Don't think I have the nerve or will to want to try Spam anyways (my email gets enough of it,lol).

Also for canned fish,I have only had a few bites of canned tuna once,and that was enough for me.

Canned sardines with a ton of lemon were ok years ago though.

For me I's day the worst thing I've done lately is eat too many cookies and pastries every week...am really trying to cut back and hopefully can lose 5 pounds doing so!

Guess I better stay away from that bakesale that is going on today!

2011 Feb 12
re Spam: In Hawaii, Spam is a staple and in the corner stores you can get something called a "Spam Musubi" (spelling?). It's like a nigiri sushi, a block of sushi rice, but instead of salmon or shrimp it has a big slice of spam on top. And of course the obligatory stripe of Black seaweed. They are everywhere and I confess they are a pretty tasty way of getting your weekly salt ration in 5 minutes, especially if you dip them in soy sauce.

2011 Feb 12
Here is a picture of the weird hybrid Spam Musubi.

2011 Feb 12
I may have heard of this before...I think?

Well, I recently heard that Hawaii was going to have their own special edition of Spam cans as they are the population that consumes the most Spam apparently.
I think there was/is a design contest for the design of the can.

For sushi, I think I will stick with the ones that have the sweetened egg on top...that or salmon skin rolls, extra spicy.

2011 Feb 15
Lowney's Cherry Blossoms? Available at many dépanneurs in Québec, I believe. However, they are strictly the kind with crushed peanuts in the chocolate coating (as the cut-in-half inside view on the box shows well). It has been twenty years since I have seen hide or hair (ew) of the pure-chocolate Cherry Blossom. They did exist. I know they did. I'm not imagining things. I'm not going insane, I'm not, i'm not...

2011 Feb 15
i'll admit it - i love kraft dinner. with TONNES of ketchup on top.
i also <3 grilled cheese sandwiches with processed cheese slices & ketchup. and mashed potatoes with ketchup. and EVERYTHING WITH KETCHUP!

2011 Feb 15
-The chocolate covered red jelly things that are in Bridge Mixture. Anyone know where I can buy JUST those ones?

-Ruffles sour cream and onion

-Outside rim of a cold Joe Louis

-Arrowroot cookies with peanut butter and chocolate chips on top

more later

2011 Feb 15
Snyder's pretzel pieces cheddar flavor are sooooo yummy

www.snydersofhanover.com

2011 Feb 15
Cait,

We bought this shirt this w/e for my 23-month old toddler. He loves ketchup on everything, he even fervently demands ketchup on dry white toast for breakfast.

2011 Feb 15
hhh: I love this ketchup photo. I laughed so hard.

my shame: crap cup cakes and crap birthday cakes from the grocery stores.
They are totally gross. I used to work at the grocery store bakery, so I know what's in it! But can't help eating it once in a while.

2011 Feb 15
The ranch dressing at Denny's...

2011 Feb 16
Those chocolate covered jelly things in Bridge Mixture-well you could always make your own,lol.

Oh last year I tried the "new" zellers store brand of Bridge Mixture-saw it at the Bay, rideau st store and though it can't be that bad..what can they screw up?

Well, it was really not good,I tried and tried to eat that small box and could barely get through it.
Kind of wished I had gone for the money back garantee...but figured it was a bother for $1 something.

some no name candy is fine-like PC and some is just awful.

I like chocolate covered pretzels and butterscotch covered pretzels.
but since I couldn't find any last year I gave up and made my own.
now this year chocolate covered pretzels are "everywhere".

but I like my version better....still have not seen butterscotch covered pretzels or carob pretzels and those are tasty.
-only problem is I never have any left as I eat them as soon as they set :(

2011 Feb 16
Having had real tacos - i gotta admit I still have a soft spot for hard tacos - at least the ones I put together myself. (I fully accept these are not real/authentic - and I love real tacos). I also still like iceberg lettuce - even though it has gotten a bad wrap. One of my favorite comfort meals is "taco salad" of which the key components are iceberg lettuce, tortilla chips, ground beef, cheddar and horror of horrors - catalina dressing. (add whatever else you like to this mix)

2011 Feb 16
Oh, sourdough, you have brought up fond memories for me. El Paso tacos-from-boxes are so good.

Similarly, I'd add sloppy joes to my list, but they're too delicious to be a secret shame ;)

2011 Feb 16
HHH: *where* did you get that shirt?! And does it come in sizes appropriate to a 7yr old? ;D

2011 Feb 16
I got mine while in Florida. But I see they carry them on Amazon.com (and likely all over the web). They make sizes for all kids and adults.

2011 Feb 17
Peameal bacon on a bun. But the bun has to be the white Wonderbread variety and served with French's mustard.

(Although my eyes keep getting drawn to that neon blue ice cream Fresh Foodie posted. Not sure I want to try it though...)

2011 Feb 17
Ug, I really do not like soft tacos. At least store bought. I find they have this yeasty bland taste which detracts from the taco contents and all I end up tasting is the darn tortilla.

Several years ago, Lone Star actually had a hard taco option. Then one day, I went in, ordered the chili tacos and it turned out they were soft tacos. They fell apart in this gloppy mess on my plate and was very badly put together. The manager and I had a long talk about it (very nicely), but sadly they took the hard tacos off the menu. If you are going to use soft tacos, the filling can't be too runny.

Speaking of Lone Star - I really love their salsa and chips!!

I still make the El Paso hamburger tacos at home sometimes.

2011 Feb 17
Starchy IHOP pancakes, Southern style breakfast biscuits (McDonalds has them now but I have yet to try them), Dunkin' Donuts in the States, Krispy Kremes, ballpark dogs.

2011 Feb 17
Schnicken - do not mistake the grocery store tortilla/taco bell soft taco for the real thing. While you can get wheat tortilla, maze (corn) is the prevalent wrapper in most areas - and they aren't too big either (usually around 4 inches in diameter).

2011 Feb 17
This is an awesome thread :)

For me:

-KFC
-Fried Spam on Wonderbread with yellow mustard
-Tiger tail ice cream
-Cap'n Crunch
-Vegetable Mr. Noodles

And the best:

-Cherry chip cake baked in an angel food cake tin, frosted with "Added Touch" Chocolate frosting that is hard b/c the cake has been refrigerated, decorated with Smarties!! This was my birthday cake every year, and it still makes me smile (although now it also kind of makes me sick)

Haven't had a lot of that in years, but thinking about it kind of makes me want all of it....

2011 Feb 17
@Pasta Lover...here is a suggestion when next you feel like ice cream NOT from your freezer. Most ice cream places (Laura Secord, Baskin Robbins, Lois n Frima, etc) will allow you a taste. So ask to sample the bubblegum ice cream ... if you like it you can order it or order a smaller option if you are ordering in a cup.

2011 Feb 17
Tina: My mom used to make no bake cookies with Cap'n crunch, pretzel sticks and peanuts bound together with melted white chocolate. Drop them on waxed paper and chill. And I know someone who crushes up cap n crunch instead of cornflakes for oven-fried chicken coating.

2011 Feb 17
Cap'n Crunch breading? Gadzooks!

2011 Feb 17
blubarry, my mom made a similar thing. she added reeses pieces into the mix and something other than cap'n crunch. the whole thing got covered in white chocolate. she always called it 'white trash'.

2011 Feb 17
HFF well I have always maintained I am the product of a white trash upbringing LOL.

2011 Feb 17
Not caring about NOT using my Green Bin ! ~grin~

2011 Feb 18
hipfunkyfun, if you'd said you actually liked the White Trash confection then you would have won this little "most shameful secret" contest... ;-)

I found a recipe here: www.copykat.com

That is truly truly hideous! So hideous that I may have to try it one day. :)

2011 Feb 18
fresh foodie, i am too ashamed to admit how tasty it is. i am no fan of white chocolate, but once you mix it all together it tastes fantastic. i'll post my family's white trash recipe tonight for comparison ;)

2011 Feb 18
White Trash Cooking (Ernest Matthew Mickler 1986) is full of lots of these recipes. It is much more fun to read than it is to cook from. The names of the recipes are the best - eg. "Tutti's fruited porkettes". And the photos are scary indeed.

2011 Feb 18
Junkster Thanks for the tip regarding ice cream samples. I frequent Piccolo Grande in the Byward Market fairly regularly during the summer months and they have been kind enough to provide samples for ice cream flavours I haven't tried yet. It's just the colour of the bubble gum ice cream that puts me off-;) I'm sure it tastes very good but the colour just looks so scary. (Apologies to Fresh Foodie for dissing his ice cream...)

2011 Feb 18
Does a sporadicaly manifesting addiction to the Big Mac Trio amount to a secret foodie shame?

2011 Feb 18
I think anything fast-food-chain qualifies.

I'll add rice krispie squares to my list. And fudgeeos. Man, there's too many!

2011 Feb 18
Usually Miracle Whip, not by itself but rather as a portion to sandwiches. Bread, a layer of miracle whip, artificial brick cheddar then topped with garlic powder and onion powder before toasting.

Far too tasty considering how unhealthy it is.

2011 Feb 18
Can we really count Captain Crunch in this category anymore though? Chef Lepine did use it in a desert dish called, er, The Captain's crunch LOL.

2011 Feb 18
ok, i looked and my secret family recipe for white trash isn't too shameful ;0

white trash candy

2lbs white chocolate
3 cups each: wheat chex, rice chex, cheerios, pretzels
16oz peanuts
big bag reeses pieces or m&m's
1 cup dried cranberries

- melt chocolate, add everything, spread on cookie sheet, break up into pieces when cool.

2011 Feb 20
@Pasta Lover...here is a suggestion when next you feel like ice cream NOT from your freezer. Most ice cream places (Laura Secord, Baskin Robbins, Lois n Frima, etc) will allow you a taste. So ask to sample the bubblegum ice cream ... if you like it you can order it or order a smaller option if you are ordering in a cup.

----------------------------------------------------------
Good suggestion :)

During the summer, every week I would go to Malak pastry and try half the gelato..my excuse is that they do not label the flavors and once I did not try what I was getting and bought the wrong chocolate ice cream.
bought chocolate with coffee and not dark chocolate that I wanted :(
-at least they will let you try all the flavors if you want,some places only let you try 2 flavors (like Truffle treasures...).

But I usually buy a small (or large) cup of sorbet or gelato every time I do my groceries and walk by Malak...so they don't mind too much.

-for the "white trash" candy mix you need some crushed potato chips in that.

2011 Feb 20
i'm making a shameful salad for dinner. i'm not sure of the name of it, but it is shredded cabbage, toasted sunflower seeds, toasted slivered almonds and mr noodles crumbled on top (you need the crunch). the dressing is oil, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and the flavour packet from the noodles. it is embarrassing but suprisingly delicious.

2011 Feb 20
HFF I'm sure I don't want to know what's in that flavor packet, but I'm betting it's delicious.

2011 Feb 21
HFF...Been there, done that, and you are right. It IS delicious!

2011 Feb 21
Ham (or Bologna), Whitebread, American Cheese, Mayo and Yellow Mustard. The Shame! Wonderbread + cheese wizz... I must hide my face.

And in all honesty, I love poutine which is a shame filled creation. It should be illegal. oh and dirty steamies...

2011 Feb 23
- fried bologna;
- crushed, uncooked (dry) ramen, seasonning mixed in (this was THE treat when I was in grade school);
- kraft dinner with parmesan.

2011 Feb 24
We like to keep a reasonably freshly/personally grated wedge of Parmesan in the fridge in a plastic container that we can use when needed. I find myself dipping into it frequently when I need a salt fix. Just a spoonful. When nobody is looking.

2012 Jan 10
Don't know if this qualifies as shameful or not, but I consider any variety of boxed cold breakfast cereal kind of trashy. Got it at a Latin Grocery and it's pretty tasty stuff.

2012 Jan 10
Sour candy, all kinds but especially Sour Skittles. I can't be trusted with more than a small package because I will eat them til they make welts on the insides of my cheeks.

Almond Joy bars

Oh, and ice cream floats made with Lime Crush and vanilla ice cream. Sooooo good!

2012 Jan 10
Ooh, blubarry! Was it a store in Ottawa? Which one? I never eat sweetened cereal, but every time I visit Latin/South America I seek out the leche condensada cereal. It's like frosted flakes, but with condensed milk. I've never seen it here, which is probably a good thing.

2012 Jan 10
Sorry travelicious. Honeybee Mexican Grocery in Detroit

2012 Jan 10
Cheese. All of it. Good cheese, stupid cheese, just plain cheese.

I would eat it on a boat. I would eat it with a goat.
I would eat it here or there. I would eat it ANYwhere.

MMmmmmm. Cheese.

2012 Jan 11
Mock chicken on white bread with Hellman's

The chocolate covered red jelly in bridge mixture (where can I get JUST that?!...)

The rim of a cold or frozen Joe Louis

Egg mcmuffin and filet-o-fish

Harvey's onion rings with root beer

Ruffles sour cream and onion

Cold Molson EX on a hot summer day ( dad's beer :o) )

Steamed hot dog with mustard

2012 Jan 12
WHERE CAN I GET A GOOD STEAMIE? I haven't had one in ages and I could just gobble up about 6 in a row right now.

2012 Jan 13
The only place I regularly get them is at any of the poutine joints in Alfred. But those aren't steamies; they're "steamé" ;)

2012 Jan 13
Rizak There *used* to be a place in the Bayshore shopping centre called Pik-Nik that sold steamies. I haven't been to Bayshore in forever so I'm not sure if they are still there.

Can anyone that shops at Bayshore confirm or deny if they are still there?

2012 Jan 13
steamés are still a quebec thing. Cross to the dark side and go to any Valentine or Casse Croute and they will all have them. I was obsessed with the valentine trio of shitty burger, steamed dog and fries for a while.

2012 Jan 13
A large Tim Horton's double-double, a bacon breakfast sandwich on English muffin and a box of assorted Timbits. At one point this summer I had to change my route to work so that I didn't drive past a Timmy's, otherwise my car automatically turned into the drive-thru without my having any say in the matter.

2012 Jan 13
Does anyone else remember the great hotdogs at the old Montreal Forum during hockey games? My memory says they were cooked on rollers and the bun was impaled lengthwise onto a hot poker to heat it from the inside then yellow mustard was squirted into the hole in the bun and the hot dog was dropped in the hole. OMG they were SO good. It was worth the trip to Montreal just for them washed down with a beer.

2012 Jan 14
Re:hot dogs - I used to love going to the Dominion store when I was a kid and they did the hot dogs on those sliding roller things and warmed the buns in a steamy drawer. My method of choice these days is to use the crock pot. Throw the dogs (I used Schneider's all beef) into the crock pot on low -no water or oil necessary) and let them roast on low for about 2 hours. About 20 mins before you want to serve them, throw a layer of paper towel on top of the dogs and toss the buns in. They get soft and sort of steamy. The dogs get a really nice roasted flavour (if they have good flavour to begin with - don't waste the time with cheap weiners) and sometimes I'll caramelize some onions and then cook them again in a bit of good quality bbq sauce. I've successfully used this method to do dogs for a crowd too.

2012 Jan 14
Bulk barn has the chocolate covered jellies and they really suck!
not very good candy inside. I only bought 5 pieces though and that was enough.

I would say buy from Nuts online- their quality is amazing.

I happen to like most kinds of candy...not too picky for sugary things- I like Haribo stuff or else the organic gummis from shoppers Nativa.

There used to be some steamies place on Rideau st a few years ago.
I remember they had something like $1 hot dogs or .50 cent hot dogs?
this was back when one of my good friends lived downtown and there were many more clubs and bars on Rideau St.

For "foodie shame" I don't know?
I like to snack on sweetened cereals.

I can't eat too many things from fast food or with a lot of preservatives or I get quite sick. So usually I have the "healthier" junk foods.

The natural jelly beans from Cedar's grocery are very good and very fresh.
have not seen them anywhere else in Ottawa either.
I have to not buy them or I will eat the whole bag I get- they are sold in bulk and are $9 lb :(
The brand on my receipt is Green Beans.

2012 Jan 14
I would second Denny's ranch, but sadly they changed to serving Kraft ranch! I was there, having an indulgence, and I noticed that the ranch wasn't as tasty, and way more sour. I asked the server if this was Kraft, and she said yes. She told me that Denny's used to make their own ranch dressing, but had switched. She said they are going to switch back because it's not very good.

This is connected to my secret foodie shame! When I go to Denny's (once or twice a year), I treat myself to the Chicken Ranch Melt (breaded chicken, Swiss cheese, bacon, ranch dressing, lettuce, on a bun with garlic butter), and then I "upgrade" my side of fries to the "smothered cheese fries" (fries, cheddar cheese, cheese sauce and bacon), with extra ranch dressing. As I am typing this out I can't believe I've eaten this and loved it, LOL! Sadly, I won't have it anymore until they switch their ranch back.

Old Dutch Sour Cream and Onion potato chips are my junk food shame, they are the closest things to the old O'Grady's brand of chips that I enjoyed as a child.

As for steamed hot dogs, I've had some good ones at Frenchie's chip wagon on Wellington near the RBC/Grace Manor. I haven't had one in a while, so I'm not sure if they still offer the option!

2012 Jan 15
God help me if I ever see chicken fried steak with saddle gravy on a menu. They just took this off the menu at Lone Star a little while ago. This made Rizak sad.

2012 Jan 15
what is saddle gravy??
never heard of this.

2012 Jan 15
It's a white cream gravy with lots of pepper in it. It's the perfect way to offset the breaded, deep-fried steak. It keeps the dish nice and healthy.

2012 Jan 15
Rizak, Is that the same thing we call country gravy in the southern states? Also there's a version with sausage meat in it that is killer on fresh buttermilk biscuits.

2012 Jan 15
Yeah, I suppose it is. I have no idea where I got that name from. I've always just known it as saddle gravy. Maybe that's what you need to cook to get the taste just right.

2012 Jan 16
I read an old Junior League cookbook once that said it takes a southern housewife at least ten years to learn how to make a decent country gravy LOL.

2012 Jan 16
Pork crackling with salt!!! Cold or hot I will eat it till the fat dribbles down my chin...

2012 Jan 16
I second the country fried steak with white gravy. Whenever business travel puts me in the states I have to try everything i can to avoid eating this all the time. It's so good yet so bad.

2012 Jan 20
I like taking a package of ramen noodles and, after boiling and draining them, frying them off in a hot pan with hot sauce and any other asian related sauces I have hanging around. If I feel virtuous I add vegetables. Incredibly high fat content, but oh so tasty!

2012 Jan 20
Imported from Michigan: I liked it. you microwave it in the box and it's kind of like a warm glazed donut stuffed with cherry pie filling - acceptable cherry pie filling, with whole cherries, not just red goo.

2012 Jan 21
Mmm. I haven't had country fried steak in years. If someone finds a good place in town, do NOT tell me. I'm still trying to recover from holiday excesses.

My secret foodie shame is Pillsbury cinnamon rolls... the ones that last disturbingly forever in your fridge and make that lovely soft popping sound when you break the seal.

2012 Jan 22
I go one step further, and here we are with some pics.

You see, there is a particular website where I am well known for my love of bacon. The thread devoted to that topic is close to 200 posts now.
chroniclesofgeorge.com

rizak.info
01 - cinnamon buns and bacon (raw form)

rizak.info
02 - beautiful bacon laying naked

rizak.info
03 - bacon in a microwave save dish

rizak.info
04 - bacon, covered up

rizak.info
05 - bacon, fresh from the microwave

rizak.info
06 - bacon, semi-cooked (2 minutes)

rizak.info
07 - cinnamon buns, awaiting the bacon

rizak.info
08 - cinnamon buns, early in bacon mating

rizak.info
09 - cinnamon buns, post bacon mating

rizak.info
10 - greasing pan with bacon fat

rizak.info
11 - baconbuns in a pan, awaiting the heat

rizak.info
12 - baconbuns in a pan, after the heat

rizak.info
13 - baconbuns on a plate

rizak.info
14 - baconbuns on a plate, with icing

rizak.info
15 - no more baconbuns

What did I learn? Next time use twice as much bacon and cook it just a bit more.

Delicious! Shameful, but delicious.

2012 Jan 22
Rizak = genius. I bow to you.

2012 Jan 22
That looks awesome Rizak, but I think you may have misunderstood the purpose of this thread. You're looking for the thread called "Pure Foodie Genius" ...

2012 Jan 22
There is no shame in bacon. None. Nope. ;)

2012 Jan 22
Wow. And wow. I can't believe I'm admitting this, but I am so trying those next weekend.

2012 Jan 23
Original doritos and tobasco is disgustingly awesome. Also something we eat a lot of back home in Nova Scotia is fried pepperoni, just what it sounds like but you dip it in honey mustard, never see that around here sadly.

Also I'm totally writing most of these down... R.I.P new year's resolution.

2012 Jan 23
Some days I'd kill for a bowl of my great aunt's pizza soup. It's a ridiculous concoction of pepperoni and canned tomatoes and spices, but I love it.

May God have mercy on my soul.

2012 Jan 23
Hey GluttonousNurse, that fried pepperoni sounds to me very similar to one of the party foods we grew up with in Windsor: Kolbassa sliced thickly and broiled. Also used to dip in honey mustard which I liked, or bottled bbq sauce, which I despised.

2012 Jan 23
Creamed tuna on toast.

2012 Jan 25
@ Gluttonous Nurse, like you mean, battered and deep fried pepperoni? I'd crumble some doritos and cover that in tabasco lol

2012 Jan 26
eggo waffles

2012 Jan 26
Those stupid tortilla chips with a huge mound of refried beans, spicy salsa and probably 30 pounds worth of cheddar cheese grated over the whole thing. Oh my goooooodness!

2012 Jan 27
Every time I'm in the freezer section and pass by the frozen waffles, I get a tug of nostalgia.I know the Dradonlady would kill me though. It is a lot more work to make my buttermilk batter and then to make the waffles and they taste really great and all of that. Still, I crave the convenience and decadent sloth of a toaster waffle.

2012 Jan 27
A correction above:

I should have said saddle BLANKET gravy. I don't know where the phrase came from, but a quick search turned up a few places promising country fried steak "as big as a saddle blanket".

Here endeth the lesson.

2012 Jan 29
OMG. As a nutritionist I can't believe I had this tonight-pork rinds at the Sandy Hill Lounge and Grill (on Somerset E. near Ottawa U). Hubby and I were meeting our son (to give him a cheque of course since he is a student living in the neighbourhood!)These are not like your bagged pork rinds. They came out of a fryer, hot, crispy and delicious with a light vinegar taste and a dusting of salt. Really delicious with the $11 pitcher of Moosehead which filled 3 full pint glasses (they have other options on tap including Beau's). Thank goodness we don't go often to the area-I think these could be addictive!

2012 Jan 30
blubarrry's post (above) about the cherry pie in a box reminded me that I really miss going to the 7-11 for Hostess fruit pies (cherry, or apple if they were all out of cherry) when I was working late night security gigs. You have to nuke them, and then the glaze on the outside gets all gooey and the filling is hot enough to melt pavement.

I know that you can't get them around here anymore and my research shows I can get them delivered for an exorbitant fee.

2012 Feb 6
Rizak - Thanks again for your bacon cinnamon roll concoction. For the record, I did try those last weekend, leading to this breakfast table conversation.

Me: "Hmm. Adding the protein somehow makes these cinnamon rolls seem healthier".

Husband: "You're kidding, right?" (eye roll of epic proportions)

When we start replicating one another's foodie shames, it seems to me something has gone horribly awry with this thread....

2012 Feb 6
You're right. There is enough shame in my life without that one.
From now on, I will not let my love of the smoked pork belly shame me.
I will be a better man for it.
I will be a SMOKIER man for it.
So let it be written.

GO FORTH AND EAT BACON AND BE YE NOT ASHAMED!

2012 Feb 7
This thread is responsible for me eating Kraft Dinner with Sriracha. I think that there is something very right about that :)

2012 Feb 7
You're welcome :)

2012 Feb 11
I eat organic bacon that is locally made..so I can eat as much as I want of it as it has no preservatives!
it is also made with maple syrup...yummmm!

I have a package that I cooked and keep in the freezer-I might go eat some now...

2012 Feb 15
Pillsbury cheese pizza pockets. *drool*

Nachos with plastic cheese
Michelina's microwave pastas
Mr Noodles
KD
All potato chips

2012 Feb 15
KD (no other "real" mac & cheese can seem to top it for me--blame years of childhood tastebud assimilation)

Big Macs (with extra of that magical Big Mac sauce) and McDonald's fries with mayo

Frozen hors d'oeuvres meant for the oven but cooked in the microwave (think soggy puff pastry)

Seasoned instant mashed potatoes

Sunny D orange drink

2012 Feb 15
Saurian - have you ever tried Annie's Mac and cheese?? It's much better than KD imo. My kids agree. They love the white cheddar and the sharp cheddar. It can be costly at most places, but I picked up a case at Costco for just a bit more than a case of KD. The boxes are a bit smaller, and cost more, but so good.

2012 Feb 15
I'll second nachos with plastic cheese.

I also love McNuggets, pillsbury crescent rolls -- preferably stuffed with weiners or a combination of cheese and broccoli, but never with cheese and weiner -- and Canadian-chinese buffets (does this count?).

And pogos. But only if it's deep fried.

2012 Feb 16
I can't handle eating Mcnuggets, but do like the sauces- so usually I buy the sauces when I get a sundae (one of the few items I eat from mcd) and use the sauces for my veggie nuggets.

-I can't stomach the oil mcd uses to cook the food in- it makes me very sick.

Just remembered I like the Michelina's pizza. you microwave that and it has a crisper tray and the dough is like a crispy puff pastry.
-it is pretty skimpy on the toppings is i recall, but for $1 I used to get those.
haven't bought those in 1+ years, but might pick one up this week....

2012 Feb 17
Bobby Fillet: nope, never heard of it. Will have to give them a try next time. Thanks for the reco!

And I have to agree with one of those sauces from McDick's, the sweet & sour. Mmmm high-fructose corn syrup... but damn tasty on egg rolls.

2012 Feb 17
Ok, this might go under the "weird food people eat" category, but...

I sometimes eat peanut butter, cheez whiz and jam sandwiches...my kids think I'm odd, but I enjoy it. Does anyone else have any odd sandwiches that they whip up??

I also like cheddar cheese with red pepper jelly sandwiches. And cheese and jam in general.

2012 Feb 17
I just know there are some KD modifiers out there. I've seen people mix the strangest things with KD; can of baked beans being one.

When I first moved out on my own, I would mix KD with condensed tomato soup (undiluted) and hot dogs. That was my bachelor casserole! haha.

2012 Feb 17
Bobby Fillet I also like cheddar and red papper jelly sandwiches - what's not to like?-;)

As for odd sandwiches I guess mine would be sliced hard boiled egg and anchovies on rye. I tend to crave salty things...

2012 Feb 17
Cheese and jelly/jam is often a good marriage, but I don't know how anyone eats Cheez Whiz. That stuff barely qualifies as food, it smells and tastes like it's made from WD40 and axle grease.

2012 Feb 17
"I sometimes eat peanut butter, cheez whiz and jam sandwiches."

I think these sandwiches were in the 70's KRAFT commercials.

Those who remember, you know ... Mix three Kraft products together (sometimes chill) and serve !

2012 Feb 17
Cheez Whiz, on saltines, in my spaghetti sauce, in my mac and cheese, on toasts, on a burger, etc. etc.

And KFC, with a poutine, extra gravy.

2012 Feb 18
I come from southern Ontario, and there are often still Jello salads and marshmallow concoctions on the buffet table. My other half mocks me that I call anything containing miniature marshmallows "salad", but it is those sweet and creamy things that disappear first from any potluck offering.

2012 Feb 19
my most recent foodie shame is snagging a few single serve containers of cheez whiz from the hotel I was staying at last week.

2012 Feb 19
Jello salads are something my mom used to make for my birthdays when I was little. It consisted of green jello, cottage cheese, and pineapple chunks. I inherited that recipe and threaten to make it periodically when I have a potluck coming up. My colleagues really think I am going to make it-;)

My mom also used to make celery sticks with cheez whiz in the middle. I considered it a real delicacy when I was a kid. I really don't know why I liked cheez whiz so much - it has the consistency of melted plastic and no flavour.

2012 Feb 21
pasta lover, do you mean aspic?? when I was a kid, they were my least favourite thing!!! actually you wouldn't see me eating aspic today either.

2012 Feb 21
tourist My mom used to stir in cottage cheese and pineapple chunks into the jello powder/water mixture. She put it in a bundt pan and put it in the fridge until set. It looked a little like the image on the right.

My mom also used to make tomato aspic. I could never understand the appeal since it didn't really taste like anything and didn't really do anything to enhance the flavour of the main dish like a chutney or mustard would.

2012 Feb 21
Pasta Lover, if you've ever made aspic from fresh ripe tomatoes it can be a wonderful thing. And that photo reminds me of a jello salad my aunt used to make that required us making a cross border trip to buy boxes of pistachio jello pudding. And yes, they still called it salad - even though it contained pudding.

2012 Feb 21
blubarry I suspect my mom made her aspic with those underripe tomatoes from the grocery store hence the lack of taste. My dad had a vegetable garden with the sweetest tomatoes I ever tasted. He never used chemicals and grew organic vegetables long before anyone heard of doing such a thing. My mom used to tell me she didn't want to use those good tomatoes in aspic even though we always had a bumper crop of them. I suppose I should give it a try with fresh tomatoes - maybe that would persuade me to like it a little more.

2012 Feb 21
Great flavored tomatoes = great flavored aspic :)

2012 Feb 23
My husbands family still serves aspic at family reunions--made with tomato juice and canned baby shrimp. And it all gets eaten (but not by me)

2012 Feb 23
Please don't judge me........:)

Sausage McMuffins with egg
McDonald's fries dipped in McChicken Sauce
Canned green peas (great with a turkey dinner....I know...gross for you...yummy to me)
Hawkins Cheezies
Canned jelly cranberry sauce
Harvey's onion rings
KFC gravy

2012 Feb 23
Home made jerk chicken poutine

2012 Feb 23
I picked up a bag of those Hawkins cheezies and I didn't like them much. The good thing is that the orange doesn't spread very far or get all over everything. I guess I just prefer my cheezies to be big, puffy and stain everything in sight. It must be a throwback to all those D&D sessions.

2012 Feb 24
I too love canned green peas with meat and potatoes meals. It's also essential with a hot sandwich as far as I'm concerned.

2012 Feb 24
canned green peas are great, along with unheated canned creamed corn!

2012 Feb 25
Krispy Kreme donuts hot and straight off the line. Nothing like it that fresh.

2012 Feb 26
Blizzards / McFlurrys .. currently wishing there was a Cadbury Creme Egg blizzard.

2012 Feb 26
I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but at about 9:30 last night I was overcome by a craving for sugary food (I've given up drinking for a while, so I suspect I may be substituting). Having no candy in the house, I made a quick batch of cookies and ended up eating way too many of them. Spent the next two hours lying on the sofa feeling very ill.

2012 Feb 26
I like having a poached egg on toast, with jelly/ jam on the toast. I don't use a lot of jelly but I like the sweet with the egg.
I like a medium poached egg and didn't even know you could order them this way until a friend ordered an egg over hard. I thought she was joking.
It's still a hit or a miss when ordering over medium.

2012 Feb 26
I like to save the skin from the grocery store deli-roasted chickens. Then, I fry it all up in a pan to make it extra crispy and throw some onions and eggs in. Sometimes a little bit of chopped pepper. When done, I'll pop that into some big tortillas with a little salsa and that's a good weekend breakfast bib-wiper.

2012 Feb 26
Thanks no shame, that's heaven Rizak! And frugal.

When I do chickens and the boil down the carcass for broth, I reserve any skin that I've not yet eaten and put it into the broth of course. You might think it would come out of there pretty flavourless after all that boiling, and indeed it does if you just eat it like that. But toss it into a pan and fry it, or better yet into the oven - let it crisp up and BAM it suddenly is just loaded with flavour!

I do it all the time to respect the birds I'm eating - don't want anything to go to waste.

2012 May 9
I love Oreos. Every flavor except the soft cakey ones. Here is one of the latest American Variations celebrating the 100th birthday of Oreos.

2012 May 9
They are also putting "ice cream" flavors into Oreos in the U.S. now. These are rainbow sherbet, but I've also tasted strawberry milkshake and orange creamsicle. I like to keep them in the fridge where the icing becomes hard and kind of lard-ish.

2012 May 11
Picking up a bag of Bugles while I was in NY state this week. I'm going to put them on the tip of my fingers and eat them.

2012 May 14
Bugles are the absolute best - and that is the ONLY way to eat them :) Thanks for this - made me all nostalgic for family trips to Maryland!

2012 May 14
Just checked to see who much shame is behind Bugles because my faint memory of eating them left an oil slick on my tongue.

No wonder :

bigfatboyfriend.com/?p=985

8 grams of SATURATED FAT in a 30 Gram serving ... from being fried in coconut oil. 1 gram more than a Mickey Dee's Quarter Pounder.

If I had liked them I certainly would be confessing my guilty shame here.

Good news .... no trans fats.

2012 May 15
My whole damned life is a foodie shame, but hardly secret.

KD with a packet of sugar
KD with hot dog slices
Poutine with ketchup
Random pasta with Maggi and hot sauce - rarely I'll add frozen veg or chicken
an entire bag of regular lays
microwaved Jos Louis
Elvis sandwiches (peanut butter, jelly & bacon)
Saltine and kraft cheese "sandwiches"
6 Tim Hortons' wagon wheel donuts (my poor stomach!)
McD's milk shakes
those finger-sized vanilla cream wafer cookies - 99.44% sugar!
deep fried perogies
pink cream soda float with neapolitan ice cream (I call it the pride float)

I think it would be easier to list the few non-shameful things I consume.

1. Beer
2. *shrug*
3. Beer
4. Phò
5. Maker's Mark

2012 May 15
KD with sugar!! haha. I must admit, I have tried KD with maple syrup and it was great, but never considered sugar...give the maple syrup a try!

2012 May 16
T&T Grocery shrimp dumplings and their General Tao's chicken. Delicious .

2012 May 18
When I'm on the run and in town a couple of $1.39 double cheeseburgers from McDonalds.

2012 May 22
Horribly shameful, but KD mixed with a can of tuna and a can of mushroom soup (instead of the milk/butter). Speaking of mushroom soup... that with chicken or pork chops on rice. So bad, so good.

2012 May 22
There's something about A&W Grandma double-burgers with the buttery bun and horseradish sauce.

Montreal hot subs.

Poutine Michigan or hot dog Michigan. Basically, topped with bolognese sauce. I believe the last time I had this was at my late uncle's old resto on Jean Talon East, maybe 20 years hence.

Add Suzy Q doughnuts to my ever-expanding list.

Peanut buster parfaits.

Finally, vanilla ice cream with some good balsamic vinegar.

2012 May 23
I've just recently been introduced to Hawkins cheezies. I don't know how it took so long, but I'm sort of glad they did, or I might have been several pounds heavier by now. They're awesome.

And yeah, those value menu cheeseburgers at McDonald's are pretty solid in a pinch or on the road.

2012 May 24
laura secords super kid ice cream, and kfc.... yummmmmyyyy, and costco poutine

2012 May 24
My list ...

* KFC - especially extra spicy which I can only get it in the US these days
* Susage and Egg McMuffin (or on a biscuit for even more fat)
* McDonald fries
* Biscuit with white Susage gravy
* Cheetos
* sour cream and onion chips
* pork rind - in Nola I had craving for them from memory of the fresh pork crackling from prev year so went through 2 packages of commercial stuff before getting some of the real thing at Jazz fest

2012 May 24
@Bacon: where do you get our Montreal hot subs?

2012 May 24
@foodtravel - Piggy market, frequently has fresh made pork rinds.

2012 May 24
Tree Pug, so far none in Ottawa, unfortunately. Mostly in Mtl, specifically Petit Quebec across from Henri-Bourassa metro station, a knock-off of sorts of the La Belle Province brand with the formica and neon and the rest of the '50s esthetic (not to mention the awesome and cheap fast food).

I just noticed Valentine in Gatineau doesn't have subs. Perhaps the other greasy spoon chain Patio Vidal does. Not too crazy about Mikes, probably very expensive too as they were back in the day.

2012 May 24
Vietnamese subs. Cheap, good food. I think I finally found a place in town that makes them, but haven't had the time to stop in yet. I saw a sign while driving down Sommerset, at the root of Preston. Must check it out.

2012 May 26
I haven't been to Mikes in ages, but I used to love their "Superstar" steak sub. Greasy, salty, cheesy... my three favourite adjectives! :D

2012 May 27
Just inhaled a bag of salted caramel bugles. So ashamed.

2012 May 30
I do enjoy cooking but have been on my own for a couple of days and supper has been Hienz canned spaghetti but I add cheese, and last night a liverwurst sandwich on a top split bun, yum
I should have gone with my first instinct to go to Izakaya, meal sounded delicious, but had sushi on Saturday.

2012 May 30
Eating butter.

2012 May 31
@foodtravel and lovetoeat--the best pork rinds my boys and hubby have found (including Mexico) are at The Sandy Hill Lounge and Grill on Somerset E. near Ottawa U. I couldn't stop eating them..foodie shame. They are hot, sizzling and delicious.

2013 Feb 3
The Superb Owl Party is today, so I'm assuming there will be many more additions to this page. Not from me, though. I'll be at The Manx enjoying all kids of jazz. They have no televisions in the place, so they do this every year so the people who don't enjoy sportsball have some place to go.

Yesterday I was left home alone with a grocery list. That never ends well. (Actually, I'm the one who buys all the groceries. I just felt like falling back onto old habits.)

- 1 small jar of hot salsa
- 1 small jar of salsa con queso
Mix well.
Put into the microwave on high for 2 minutes.
Dip corn chips in.
Enjoy.
Feel the shame burning your cheeks.

2013 Feb 5
Pop Tarts.

*curls in ball in corner, weeps softly*

2013 Feb 5
today I bought a jar of cheez whiz because I craved it on toast for my breakfast this morning.

2013 Feb 5
Eggo waffles, ripple chips, Burger King, something about 'flame broiling.'

2013 Feb 5
I just chowed down on a large bag of salt and vinegar chips. I actually went four months without chips so I decided it was time to correct that...

2013 Feb 5

2013 Feb 5
I love Wunderbars! And Smarties.

2013 Feb 6
Peanut butter and barbeque chip sandwich on cheap white bread (toasted, no less).
Crazy but damned delicious.

Presiden't Choice ketchup chips are a killer addiction for me. Fun fact: If you eat the entire bag, your mouth actually gets burned from all the acid.

Also those weird yellow un-cheezies from Cheetos. I think they're called corn twists? Those are addictive.

2013 Aug 6
Bought these yesterday in Cooperstown. Enjoyed some of the Chicken and waffle flavor last night. Definitely potato chip flavor overall, but with a slight maple sweetness and a hint of fried chicken-ness. Totally fakey fake tasting, but somehow I liked them. Haven't tried the Sriracha version yet.

2013 Aug 6
Cup of soup :) with saltines, it's my fall back meal for sure.

2013 Aug 6
Lay's Grilled Cheese and Kettchup chips

2013 Aug 7
BBQ Fritos.
It's not a question of how many i can eat. It's just about how many are available.

...having admitted that, i feel dirty inside.

Or possibly salty.

2013 Aug 7
Frozen banana thawed, then refrozen. Turns to mush. Looks awful, tastes great.

Bugels too.

2013 Nov 23
This morning: grilled cheese sandwich with Velveeta (chunk) on home made kimmel rye. I think the heart smart Becel coating offsets the Velveeta. No?

2013 Nov 23
I'm about to embark on a shaming tour of leftovers for breakfast.

On my plate will be pb and banana toast, some falafel (probably cold, not gonna lie), the wilted remains of the falafel platter (salad, potatoes, rice and nasty looking tomatoes) a little bit of veg stew and some chocolate/salted caramel coconut milk ice cream.

I'm a little ashamed and a lot hungry.

2013 Nov 25
I lurv cream soda.

And I dip my fries in Swiss Chalet dipping sauce, which I buy by the packetload at the grocery store. Actually, since I serve myself a soup bowl of the stuff, it's more like, "would you like some fries with that?"

2013 Nov 27
Returned from a southern road trip and realized I love many bad, bad foods..shrimp & grits(for breakfast!), biscuits & sausage gravy, mile high coconut layer cake, southern bbq any style. Charleston S.C. is a foodie paradise-high end and not...fried chicken anyone? Tried to duplicate here but just not as good...Snack today, pimiento cheese on ritz cheese crackers, so yummy.

2013 Nov 27
Shrimp and grits are NOT bad food! No matter WHEN you eat them.

2013 Nov 28
W.C. Whenever I go to Charleston I always hit the piggly wiggly or the harris teeter and pick up local flour and baking powder that help me to make more authentic southern food. Also got some relish there last time called "Wadmalaw Island relish" that is a kind of pickled onion condiment. so good!

2013 Nov 28
I love Cap n Crunch, and just finishing off a box of this Halloween version that turns milk a putrid shade of green. I often mix a scoop of cap n crunch in with healthier cereals.

2013 Nov 28
Just thought of a great one and now I'm having a craving.

White Wonder bread (or plastic bread as my Brit friend calls it) and cheap canned tomato sauce. That's it. A bowl of sauce and five or six slices.

Takes scarpetta to a whole new level.

2013 Nov 29
OH! Thanks. You reminded me of something I haven't had in years!

My dad used to do this all the time and I kind of like it too.

A couple of big slices of homemade white bread with lots of butter, and a dish of molasses. Maybe it's a Maritime thing.

You know, I'd just love to see that on a restaurant menu. Terry?

I haven't done that in years. Tonight ...

2013 Nov 29
MOLASSES SANDWICHES! :D I *love* those! (Yes, a Maritimer.. ;))

2013 Nov 29
Rizak, definitely a Maritime thing. Still one of my favourite desserts when we have fresh-from-the-oven white bread or hot biscuits. Interestingly, of my immediate family, only my one daughter who was born in the Maritimes is also a molasses and bread lover.

2013 Nov 29
Oh wow. Now I want bread and molasses.

I've done that same thing with maple syrup, but that would be amazing with molasses.

2013 Nov 29
Peanut butter and molasses sandwich!

2013 Nov 29
Okay, to carry on with the molasses theme running so slowly through here now ...

Homemade beef and cabbage stew with doughboys, with molasses poured over top.

I want my mommy to cook me dinner tonight.
Actually, no. I finally have a free weekend. I'll go get a nice piece of brisket and all the other ingredients I need and try to do it up proper. I've never gotten doughboys to come out right though.

2013 Nov 29
blubarry's shot of the White Trash cookbook convinced me to buy it a while ago. It has some truly repulsive entries.

In that same vein, some of you might get a kick out of this website below. I bought one of the books that the page has spawned and it is a real hoot.

lileks.com

The whole site is a scream, but the Gallery of Regrettable Food is a favourite.
Especially MEAT! MEAT! MEAT!

2013 Dec 15
No Name vanilla pudding mix, but substitute the milk with egg nog.
I've also done this with butterscotch pudding.

Decadence.

I'm sure you could add naughty bits to it like pieces of candy cane or gummy whatevers, but I like it like this.

2013 Dec 20
Me? Ramen noodles. I love boiling up a big old pot of it an consuming it in 10 seconds. Maybe cause I'm now a cheap college student.

2013 Dec 20
Oh hot diggity, Rizak, that's amazing.

I used to mix the same pudding mix with ice cream and refreeze for an hour. It's...so, so sugar. Your teeth will melt.