ottawa = bad food [General]

2008 Jul 16
hello. as my second post on this forum, i hope i don't get kicked off.

i've recently moved to ottawa and i'm saddened by the lack of good food i'm finding. what's the deal? there's a handful of decent indian restaurants, but beyond that, the shawarma's are dry, the chinese food isn't chinese food (i can't believe the chinese people actually eat this -- they're probably not "chinese"), fish and chips is non existent (although lapoints and the fish market is very decent), sushi is the worst i've had, korean food is nowhere to be seen, and the best letdown of all (so far), all the strawberries i've had tastes like water.

and these are just the popular cultures. i can't imagine how the others are like.

yes, ottawa makes great poutine (best poutine!! and please don't mention the elgin diner) and beaver tails. is that it? i did however have an exceptional (exceptional!) meal at the gastropub last week (although that name is absolutely ridiculous). for those that haven't been, think jamie kennedy on the gardiner, but more expensive. so i'm sure there is good food -- but as a whole, so far, as i've experienced, ottawa is waaaaaay behind the culinary times.

i feel like this is the town that loves shows like road grill and chef at home. (for those that like chef at home, i also USED to, but have moved on. for those that like matt dunigan, my apologies)

oh yeah... who's got the best food blog in town? (not including newspaper columnists)

2008 Jul 16
Since you mention Jamie Kennedy, does this mean you just moved to Ottawa from Toronto? Just trying to get a feel for where you were before Ottawa.

I recently moved from Ottawa to Toronto and can compare the two cities for food scene pretty easily.

2008 Jul 16
Go to the home page, work your way through the list of top ranked vendors and then get back to us.

2008 Jul 16
You sure you are really a foodie? Check out item 13 in the site FAQ and get back to us :-)

www.ottawafoodies.com

2008 Jul 16
Hey peterlapin:

1) "...korean food is nowhere to be seen..."

How about the following that have reviews here.

Arum
Bulgogi Garden
Ebi Sushi
Jade Asian Kitchen
Kochu Sushi
Korea Garden
Kwon's Chicken House
Maru
Miga
Restaurant Joy
Seoul House
SooRa

2) "...all the strawberries i've had tastes like water."

Try the local strawberries and not the ones from California

3) "...ottawa is waaaaaay behind the culinary times."

I'll let the picture address this point.

2008 Jul 16
LOL relax folks...
I understand his frustration - when you go to places that are just "around". But I think the thought that fuels this website is that if you research restaurants (whether through other people or not) that you will find real foodie gems, hidden or otherwise.

so. I would suggest opening your mind a bit more than your post suggests you are, and give the scene a try. There are certain types of restaurants that are lacking here, and I'm sure most of the posters here would agree to that, but in most cases what we lack in volume we make up for in quality!

2008 Jul 16
hello all.

thanks for the comments. i will try those korean places but won't hold my breath. i think people get too defensive -- that's why i said i'm new and my comments are so far based on the places i've tried. i'm originally from los angeles and grew up in manhattan. i mentioned jk's restaurant because that's another canadian restaurant i've been to.

i might be a snob. okay. but i like good food that is authentic. that's it. nothing else. i'm not looking for five star dining. i'm looking good, wholesome foods.

and the strawberries i've had in ottawa -- all local. or so they said when i bought them from the landsdown park, side of street at huntclub and conroy, off the street off p of wales beside the farm, and the other two that i bought... i'm sorry but i cannot remember which streets.

don't get so defensive. i'm here for a long time and want to find GOOD food cuz ottawa is such a pretty place. i'm just sad that my first impression of the food is bland and boring. and so far, lack in history. i'll keep searching. thanks. cuz i know these gems do exist -- but so far, no good burgers. no matter what you folks say on this site.

there's nothing like a burger from southern california. it's kinda like fish and chips and the east coast.

2008 Jul 16
My suggestion was completely serious.

2008 Jul 16
oh one more, Captain Casper

which would YOU say is the best korean restaurant in town? you're free to select the one that serves your favourite type of korean fare.

2008 Jul 16
We got defensive perhaps because you started out offensive.

"Hi, here I am. I've been to 3 places so far and all I can say is Ottawa sure does suck"

What the heck did you think we'd do?

You are from places that have 10s of millions of people - of course there is going to be a better food selection.

Want good wholesome food?

My first pick :
Melrose Grocery

My second pick :
Istanbouli

Then any of the Pho Bo Ga places

Just off the top of my head.

2008 Jul 16
i don't recall saying that.

anyways, ollie, you're right. i've tried a good handful of those places that are on the vendors list. i've been getting most of my bread from the art is in bakery. they're spectacular. and there's also a belgium loaf that farmboy sells that is quite like the breads i used to spend my summers with in italy. yes. there ARE good foods. i agree. but why are you guys such snobs? what the heck is a foodie?

my apologies if i came off the wrong way. i was just very disappointed at the level of bad mass food that exists here. sure, there's a good selection of people who love food and know about food at these website, but as a whole, ottawa people -- know very little about food (FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN THUS FAR!).

for example, the ottawa bbq fest. wow, that was a load of crap. and yes, i tried all but one vendor. don't ask me which. but of course, that one vendor was probably gold.

looks like i'm at the wrong site. but i'll still wait for that korean place.

2008 Jul 16
peterrabbit Welcome to Ottawa. I am sorry to hear you have had such a negative restaurant experience. However the restaurant scene in Ottawa has a smaller market to draw on and we'd have a hard time competing with some of the top restaurants in Manhattan. However rest assured we do have some nice restaurants in Ottawa and getting better all the time! One good place to start is by browsing through the tags on this site and reading the reviews then trying some of the restaurants that you think you might like. You might be surprised to find we do have some good restaurants here! Good luck.

2008 Jul 16
Why are WE such snobs? That's rich!

Our reaction - or mine at least - was because you came across sounding like an incredible snob.

Anyway, I'll give you a 2nd chance. Hang around here and pay attention. There is lots of great food in Ottawa - which is what this site is all about.

2008 Jul 16
Hey Peter RABID - Ottawa Foodies are a friendly bunch generally... Just look at the numerous posters who are welcoming to you even though you've come into our "home" and not only insulted us, but started slamming doors (Ottawa Food Journalists, Ottawa based Food Tv, etc... you really should have come in graciously and found out about us (all of us) before you posted such a scathing comment). You've put me off with this post, and the first one I read from you, and I Quote:

"Ottawa has no real/good/kinda-good chinese food. however, i'm new in town. been here for 4 months. had dimsum at the two places so far on summerset just west of bronson. downright wrong. so far, ottawa's food is making me sad. i hope to turn this around. my apologies to everyone if i've offended yous."

Amazing how knowledgeable you are, you can judge a whole food category on two places... you truly must be our salavation... and your arrogrance at believing "I HOPE TO TURN THIS AROUND". You my dear are laughable... In four months you've no doubt ate at a handful of places vs. the 4600 plus reviews already on this site, you really should get out more... But then again, I see no cause for you to fill your self with food, you seem FULL OF YOURSELF already.

Cheers!

PS... Only 49 more days and you'll be back in your Grade 9 Social Studies Class, maybe this year you'll learn more about the world and how to interact in it than you did last year. (You are not the first student home on summer break who has found the internet as an amusement).

2008 Jul 16
Welcome Peterrabbit. Way to wake people up! :)

I don't have firm evidence, aside from seeing a couple restaurants opening in the past year, but i suspect the Sommerset area might see a small surge in Korean restaurants: there's already a couple and last time i looked there's another Korean-Japanese (read Korean) restaurant slated to open.

Anyway responding to your question for the Cap'n, i personally liked SooRa ... friendly, the owner is a recent arrival from S. Korea, food was well prepared and the menu's expanding.

2008 Jul 16
I find this topic very amusing. When I first moved to Ottawa I felt the same way. Now after some major searching I have found some places that keep me happy.

Pubs...The Manx & Chez Lucien. Good food & service & they actually make the food they serve. Chez Lucien is suppose to have great burgers, have yet to try them though.
Fine dining...Wellington Gastro Pub, Oz Kafe, The Urban Pear, The Whalesbone.
Bread...Art-is-in Bakery.
Croissants...The French Baker.(requires its own heading, they are that good!)
Brunch/lunch...Benny's Bistro, Mariposa Farms.
Thai...Sweet Basil.
'Canadian style' chinese food...Ruby Inn.(have not found any true chinese I like yet)
Greasy Spoon...The Mayflower on Elgin, my hangover cure.
Sandwiches...Luciano Foods, DiRienzo's.
'Cheese & thyme/lemon flat breads', not sure what they are actually called but are highly addictive...Mid-East Food Company.

As for being a 'food snob' join the club, haha. Having said that something to keep in mind is that most food festivals/events in this city are questionable. So attend them with low expectations and you might feel satisfied. Sounds bad but it is true:( (eg. rib-fest, food & wine show)
Good luck on your search!

2008 Jul 16
thanks again for the welcome.

i really appreciate it. and just wanted to say that i don't think i insulted anyone here, did i? i just said i don't like the places so far, except for a good handful, which are on that list.

here's some of my logic. the top 4 vendors that you have are:

Ahora
The Manx
The Wellington Gastropub
Art-is-in Bakery

that's great. i've been to 3 and 4, and i've already said i love them. #1 i'm going to tomorrow for lunch; the manx i'm sure i'll visit soon.

so here's the thing. . . that's it?

you're right [my mom's a foodie and itchy feet]. there are great places but at the end of the day, ottawa is a small city. i understand that it doesn't have as much. it doesn't have the density of larger cities.

but what i'm looking for, and what saddens me, is NOT a handful of places.

what i'm looking for is GOOD food EVERYWHERE! that's where i'm from.

as a whole, where i grew up, i had good food on most corners. i didn't have to search high and low and read all the reviews to get good local cuisine. am i spoiled? probably. am i a snob? whatever.

but can we get beyond our petty selves and try to promote good food for everyone? not just you and me.

why can't people be critical?

on that list, i see one bakery. ONE (I say one cuz i've been to the french baker and wow oh wow, that place is horrible). almost everyone loves bread, but seeing that there is only one real good bakery that people have identified, this means that most of the people are not eating good bread. that's what i'm talking about. the lack of general knowledge the city has.

yeah, you're not included in that circle (well, probably most). but we're in a city that doesn't really know much about food.

is 4 months not enough to judge that? maybe. maybe not. but you certainly are.

(btw, urban pear: i found to be also horrible; mama grazzi: who ever she is, she ain't italian)

2008 Jul 16
Peterrabbit you need to get over yourself. I cannot imagine going through life with such negativity. WOW! Good luck to you.

2008 Jul 16
peterrabbit I will say this one last time we are not Manhattan or LA but we do have good restaurants in this city and no, four months is not long enough to make up your mind about any city not even somewhere as small as Ottawa. As for bakeries the French Baker is my personal favourite but we also have a few other exceptional bakeries in town IMO however I do not care to share this with you since none of our establishments in Ottawa are evidently good enough for you. Perhaps it is your confrontational attitude and arrogance that have put people off. Do you talk to people like this when you meet them face to face or just on a website where it is easier to conceal your identity? I'm not sure how you get through life with this attitute. Anyway good luck in your search to find "somewhere" to eat.

2008 Jul 16
This thread definitely gets my vote for most entertaining. I find on here that people tend to temper their criticism a little too much sometimes, but there is a balance between being a little too generous with the benefit of the doubt and strutting down from the mountaintop with your pronouncements of "this place is horrible, that one sucks" without bothering to explain specifically what you didn't like. I think that the one who in your own words needs "to get beyond their petty selves" may be you.

Teri Everitt
Pastry chef
The French Baker
119 Murray street
613-789-7941

2008 Jul 16
I think the major reason people are reacting this way is you aren't giving any details about why you disliked the places you've tried. French baker was horrible, how so? The places you've tried burgers, where and what didn't you like about them? What DO you look for in a burger? What didn't you like about the Urban Pear? Etc.

I can understand your frustration as well. I think once you've been in Ottawa for a while you'll get a stronger feel for what neighbourhoods have good food more readily available. It does take a lot more work there than in larger cities, that's very true. But the way you've presented your arguments is in a way that is 'asking' for a fight.

2008 Jul 16
up to this point, i don't really have to justify why i don't like a place. i'm not food reviewer. no one pays me to do this. i still don't have any clue to why people are upset when you dont' own or work at the places (until the baker responded). you don't like me, apparently, so why do you even want to know the reasons? very odd.

as for teri the baker. to you, i owe an explanation to my comments, sure. and i stand by my comment about the pastries that i've tried -- as "horrible". they're actually not that bad, but because of the level of quality you're trying to create, it's horrible because it fails (with the two things i've had) oh so miserably. and here's why...

the croissants have way too much butter. croissants should be crispy on the outside and fluffy and moist on the inside. yours are moist, absolutely, but heavy and oily. now, perhaps i went during a humid day and the moisture in the air caused lots of issues. sure. but i don't remember the air conditions.

second, the pain au chocolate. the chocolate used is quite good. impressive. but because of the error in the dough, it fails.

and please excuse me if i'm terse (because i sure didn't think i was before -- i thought i was just talking to other fellow food lovers) -- but perhaps you are right. perhaps i am petty.

you must be proud.

this has been entertaining. cheers.

oh, and for those of you that don't know, the secret to a burger (or any sandwich) is the bun/bread. but for most places that sell such, it's the last thought, if not an afterthought.

2008 Jul 16
I chose a picture of a snob in my last entry in this thread (see ---> www.ottawafoodies.com <---).

From the Wiktionary:

snob Noun (Plural snobs)

1. (disapproving) (informal) A person who seeks to be a member of the upper classes and looks down on other classes such as lower classes.

maybe I should have chosen,

obnoxious Adjective (comparative more obnoxious, superlative most obnoxious)

1. Very annoying, offensive, odious or contemptible.

2008 Jul 16
how's the view up there on your high horse? there is bad food in every city - yes, even in NYC and LA! this site is here to share comments/criticism, and everyone is entitled to an opinion - but you're just making blanket statements.

2008 Jul 16
The point isn't justifying yourself. The point is giving useful information so people can actually help you find better food. If you simply say 'this place is awful!' then no one knows what you found terrible about it so they know what you're trying to avoid.

The point of this website is not 'bitch about places where you think the food sucks'. The point is to share which places are terrible (and why) and which places are great (and why) so others will know where to go for Ottawa's best food. That simple. If you just want to bitch about bad food, try the boards on chow.com. ;)

2008 Jul 16
"You must be proud"

That comment was addressed to me? Proud of what exactly? For finding your opinions entertaining? There is no need to be such a jerk, particularly since I was kind enough to post my full name, workplace and work phone number with my response to your(anonymous)comments.

I can't really respond in detail to your comments since I don't make either the croissants or pain au chocolat. That's the bakers' job and I work on the pastry shift. I make cakes, tarts, financiers, chocolates, biscotti, cookies etc. There are 4 bakers who make the breads, viennoise and lemon tarts(it's a little weird but the bakers have always made the lemon tarts). The humidity is a huge problem for the bakers and it's always a challenge to get the work done before the dough starts to melt. There are 3 pastry chefs and one helper who work in my department, so a lot of things in the case are a team effort since one person may have made the shells or cake for something, while someone else made the fillings or finished off the cakes. If you feel the need to critique something that I made all by myself....I always make the chocolate frangelico cake slices, the raspberry truffle tarts, the rhubarb financiers, the chocolate and sea salt cookies, the caramel truffles and the dough for the butter cookies. Do your worst...I find feedback helpful, not offensive. There is of course a distinct difference between feedback and just being obnoxious (thanks Captain Caper..it was just the word I was looking for.)

2008 Jul 16
mmmmmmmm, chocolate!!!

2008 Jul 16
Actually, peterrabbit, you do have to justify why you don't like a place. It's pretty bad style on the internet or in real life to just drop nasty comments left and right without the slightest justification. I looked in the site FAQ and did not find it, but I do know that our host Fresh Foodie has said in the past that this site works on the motto of "If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it". Yup, I've said bad things on this site about vendors, but I always back them up with "why"

I'm actually beginning to think that food and think is right - that you are nothing but a troll. You certainly don't seem to have a shred of common courtesy.

2008 Jul 16
Wow, I'm so disappointed that I missed all this while I was at work. LOL

I have to admit that when I moved to Ottawa I wasn't thrilled with the food here, and I still feel that way sometimes, but ONLY when I think of food/dining options in relative terms. I've discovered so many cool gems, like La Cabana, DiRienzo's, the vast pho offerings in Ottawa, french/french Canadian cuisine, a modern take on Aboriginal cuisine at Sweetgrass, the numerous Lebanese restaurants (you should be able to find one that doesn't serve a dry shawarma - rule of thumb - don't order shawarma from a place where the chicken looks like a charred boot on a spit, pretty logical isn't it? Try Les Grillades on Holland Ave.), etc... some of these things are unique to Ottawa and others are not, but they excel at what they do and I'm glad they exist in Ottawa. Since, apparently, you've been all over the world, etc etc. you have a pretty high standard to compare things by, and you of all people should know that food, when taken out of it's original environment rarely lives up to the original. With that in mind, I look forward to constructive comments you could give to help out the foodie community here in Ottawa, especially since it's so... experienced, and knowledgable... apparently(?)

2008 Jul 16
Wow, this is some discussion! In general I agree with everyone who has posted on this topic. peterrabbit, if great food sources were easy to find in Ottawa then this website would have much less of a reason to exist. As for your comment that Ottawans don't care (or know) what good food is, that's a generalization. Like most stereotypes it is terribly unfair to the exceptions. There are upwards of 1100 exceptions who have already signed up for accounts on OttawaFoodies, and certainly many more to come.

Nobody would argue that the food scene in Ottawa compares favourably with LA or Manhattan, but to paint the whole town with one negative brush is to close your mind to any chance at a positive experience.

Perhaps you should try Stephen Beckta's restaurant (Beckta). He used to be a sommelier at Café Boulud in Manhattan. I'd expect him to have similar standards to yours. I believe his original chef (Stephen Vardy) at one time mentioned Domus (Domus Cafe ) as his favourite restaurant. Another good one to try...

If you read up on Croissants here (Croissants) you'll find that you aren't the only one who believes the French Baker version to be heavier than it should be. The only truly authentic croissants I've had within 2 hours of Ottawa were at Première Moisson in Montreal. I think Farm Boy still sells PM croissants here but the quality is highly variable (I'm guessing due to baker inexperience or inadequate equipment). Anyway, everyone has different taste, and you can't deny that many people love the croissants from the French Baker! Authenticity and excellence are two different things, though. Try thinking of them not as croissants, but as some kind of butter brötchen. That's what I do and I enjoy them that way for what they are. :)

As for Korean food, Arum (Arum) used to be awesome, but recent reviews are not so positive. I've really enjoyed Miga (Miga ) and agree with itchy feet's prediction about Korean catching on in a big way. I said to my wife just last winter that I think the next trend in Ottawa will be Korean. Hopefully the good places are the ones that survive!

Anyway, you've been given good advice in this thread. Please try to withhold your judgment until you've had a chance to visit more of our better places. And even then, keep in mind your experiences in other cities with populations in the sub-one-million range. I think you might be pleased. :-)

2008 Jul 16
Ooooooooooooo FF, What a smoothie !! ... and after such a 'storm'.

A very 'diplomatic' response. Are you sure you don't work as an Ambassador for DFAIT ?

All in all .... well said.

2008 Jul 16
"and just wanted to say that i don't think i insulted anyone here, did i?"

It's not insulted so much as bored by the generalizations. You're not the first out-of-towner to shit all over the Ottawa food scene.

I too wish we had great food on every corner. I love Toronto and Montreal for that. But that doesn't stop me from seeking out new food experiences and revisiting old favourites in Ottawa. I am optimistic about the city's slowly burgeoning scene.

2008 Jul 16
I guess I'll ramble on since this thread seems to mention practically every restaurant in town :-)

Like a lot of people on this list, I'm a recent transplant to Ottawa from somewhere else. And I'm still not sure how I feel about the place. But I do find myself talking to my friends back home about some of the great places I've discovered here. My newest find: Tea Smoked Salmon and Seafood Tagliatelle (with delicious scallops)at Jak's Kitchen. What a strange location for such good food. But I'll be back!

Fresh Foodie, I like this prediction about Korean food catching on. My one trip to Soora so far suggests we have a real gem in our midst.

2008 Jul 16
This must be a record .... 32 replies within 8 hours of the original post.

2008 Jul 16
Peterfreak: Go back to hollywood and stuff your face with cob salads, or pull your socks up and try another shawarma. haha "This is war baby... war" Im just kidding Ive been waiting for a reason to say that.. For real, on the "real" just get over yourself and go to domus.

2008 Jul 16
Wow! Am I on Chow Hound???

Have to add though to the comment about the croissants. Every croissant I have ever had at the French Baker has been super crispy and fluffy on the inside. I actually like the fact that there is a lot of butter in them, if they could fit more I would love it! Butter/fat is my weakness:)

I am interested in hearing more about the 'horrible' experience peterrabbit had at The Urban Pear. I use to be a co-chef/owner and am curious to know where they went wrong? My ex partner has no time to look on these sites so I would like to pass the ways they can improve on to him.

Lastly I have to add that every city has its share of 'bad' restaurants. The larger the city the more of both the good and bad you will find. I have to agree though that Ottawa has a few more bad than good. You can find happiness from a handful of places, I did. Something comforting about the staff knowing my name, what I drink, asking me how my day was, etc..

2008 Jul 17
Hello Petie!!! Welcome to the food jungle where culinary confusion reigns. I am not from Ottawa or from North America for that matter. I am a born and bread European living here and as a European, I refuse to be politically correct so here's what I think. Some of what you say is sad (for us), but so very true. You mentioned "authentic food", I can tell you that the majority of ethnic restaurants definitely miss the mark. The Italian restaurants are simply DISGUSTING. Your comment on Mamma Grazzi's (and I would add Mamma Teresa's, Giovanni's (who the hell is he anyway???) Trattoria Italia, La Roma and all of the other Las on Preston street in the same mix) is far too kind. And how about those Greek restaurants. For anyone who has travelled there, Greek food is not fried calamari in Canola oil or salad with "parmesan" (not Parmiggiano Reggiano) rather than Greek (not Canadian) Feta. Nothing that is being used is at all authentic, everything is a copy of a copy of a copy, which makes me think that this city has an obvious identity crisis. The chicken fest, the barbecue fest, the other roasting fests here, which, honestly can there be more kitsch on a single street? All of these...crap. I had the most disgusting pulled pork sandwich from some place that had 18 medals hanging and 25 trophies...unbelievable. I would agree with you about The Wellington Gastropub. I personally have no problem with the name and find the service, food, drinks, everything fantastic there. However, if I had to compare this capital, with other world capitals, it just doesn't cut it. As for Beckta...I think it is incredibly overvalued and while we're talking about snobs that is the SNOBBIEST place in all of Ottawa - it is the who's, who (albeit generally badly dressed who's who's) hang out. It has the most conservative menu in the entire city...mostly meat, which doesn't really distinguish itself from other steakhouses, if you think about it. Huge lack of creativity. Cuisine is tradition and creativity. It is history and reinvention. It tells a story of who we are, where we have been and where we are going. Perhaps this is what Ottawa still needs to figure out. However, while we are waiting for this to happen, we can check out some of the new places that are coming about that are trying their best to offer all foodies something "good" to talk about and this site is a great forum for that...I generally find the comments very helpful and everyone quite pleasant...even if we have different points of view. WELCOME!!!!

2008 Jul 17
I must chime in. The food in Ottawa is not as bad as everything thinks. The pho here hands down beats Toronto. The Italian food in Ottawa is also quite good, regardless of what Mr. Red thinks. I grew up the godson of Italian restaurateurs and spent several summers in Italy on food tours. The food here, though not comparable, is still at a high level. As for Peter Rabbit's absurd comment about the French Baker, I must, in the strongest terms possible, disagree. In the months that I spent in Paris, consuming crossaints twice a day, French Baker definitely ranks up there. Anyway, I'm sorry that you choose to find something negative about everything that you eat. That is all. Oh, and I'm sure that the food and selection here probably beats the food in Baghdad right now.

2008 Jul 17
This thread reminds me of the comment made by a Montreal food critic on Canada Day. Her comments about Ottawa restaurant received numerous response. Ottawa people defended vigorously .

I personally believe that every one has right to express his/her opinion whether you agree or disagree. Ottawa restaurants have improved a lot when compared to the time when I moved to Ottawa 20+ yeas ago.

peterrabbit, a big welcome to you! Would like to hear more about your restaurant visits, good or bad!

2008 Jul 17
Wow, even more back and forth than the del monte fracas ! Having left Ottawa a little over a year ago and still talking who travel or live there I still maintain is a great food city. There are good restaurants in all price ranges that provide interesting foo dn good wine. The amount of raw food from Lansdowne to the shops like Bottega and Byward fruit is coming up to being on a par with Montreal or Toronto. Maybe instead of being an elitist snob monsieur lapin should first have asked what places people who live in the city recommend. Anyways glad to see everyone jump on the defensive so quickly.

2008 Jul 17
"but as a whole, ottawa people -- know very little about food (FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN THUS FAR!)."

Most of you have been polite in your responses and its always a good idea to do so. I know I sometimes see posts I don't like and I tend to ignore them or respond as kindly as possible. Today I cannot do that and if the post has to be deleted I will understand. Anyway...

There is an excellent feature I some other sites I go to regularly. Its called the ignore button. You identify the people you don't want to read and you never see their comments again. If it were available here, I would use it for the first time on this guy.

Sorry but your comments are offensive and I am not really convinced you know that much about food. You strike me as just being plain egotistical. While Ottawa cannot compete with the diversity that Toronto has in food supplies or restaurants, and we do not have the wealth of fresh food avaible in the Vancouver region, we do have a lot of nice restaurants and food supplies, particularly in terms of produce and meat too.

I do not believe that Ottawa is food nirvana but I do know this. This writer is not worth my time anymore.

Cheers to everyone else.

2008 Jul 17
I agree with Medicinejar. Many of the 'foodies regulars on here have offered advice and opinions only to be shot down by the original posters. This, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call a troll. He doesn't care what you have to say. He only posts here to get a rise out of us and a bit of cheap entertainment.

Yes, Ottawa has bad restaurants. But also lots of hidden jems from one side of the city to the other. I will drive to the East End to get my favourite Indian food and I'll walk 10 blocks to my favourite Vietnamese place. We're not Toronto or Manhattan and our quality restaurants are not located in one specific, concentrated area. It takes a bit more work to find our best restaurant—from the cheapest to the most expensive—but in the end, it's worth it. Part of the experience is in the hunt itself.

2008 Jul 17
MedicineJar, Nanook & Zym - I'm glad others see this for what it really is. You'll notice I have found a "foodie appropriate" picture.
(Captain C would be proud).

2008 Jul 17
et tu brute?

2008 Jul 17
troll here,

who ever went to italy and had comparable food to any italian restaurant in ottawa, obviously went to the wrong restaurant. hahahaha. even italy has bad restaurants. i've been to many.

looks like this is it for me. i didn't think i was a troll but because of my exit, i have become one.

my last thought. ottawa is the type of city that only a mother could love.

nurture your child well. i'm sure it'll bring you lots of joy.

(oh, P.S., chicken what? a real shawarma has lamb, and lamb shawarmas are the ones i enjoy the most. and apparently, ottawa doesn't really like lamb cuz it's not served that much. when it is, it's not eaten that much, THEREFORE it's dry. enjoy your chicken)

P.P.S.

you're all right. i am snobby and narrow minded. but that's the thing, so are you. which is okay. the difference is, i like good food.

2008 Jul 17
peterrabbit If Ottawa is such a bad place then why do you stay?...

2008 Jul 17
peterrabbit, i guess you are cooking at home these days. or eating mcdonald's when you are out?

ottawafoodies exists b/c it is hard to find good food in ottawa.

food is art. and art is subjective.

2008 Jul 17
That's the crux of the situation: when it comes to the Ottawa restaurant scene, there are a lot of generic places that aren't that good. Face it, we're a sleepy government town in many ways, and one of those ways is to make sure that nobody complains about where you go for lunch on Fridays ;)

But that's why they're generic, right? They're everywhere. It's the status quo, and you'll see the same thing in Toronto, in Montreal, or in any other town. And it's not always bad. As I think I've said, I'm a sucker for McDonald's breakfast, and for Kelsey's Buffalo chicken sandwich.

Inferiority complexes aside, Ottawa does have diamonds gleaming in the rough, and that's why we're here. To let people know that you can find good food in Ottawa, and now you don't have to try hard to figure out which ones.

2008 Jul 17
i also noticed that the local strawberries tasted watery this year. i had two good batches out of many. i buy at the farmers market, the in-city roadside stands and directly at the farmers fields. i assumed the increase in the water had to do with all our rain. i found shouldice farms, who have the stands on the street corners, the worst. they were great during week 1 of berry season, but went downhill. i am also disappointed that a number of farms have opted to grow the larger size strawberries this year. they are supposed to be sweeter, but i find the water content too much. i spoke with a few of the farmers themselves and they say it is because of the public's demand for bigger berries
:(

2008 Jul 17
If you read my post carefully, you would have noticed that I said that the Italian food in Ottawa is NOT comparable, but that it is still at a high level. Pretty sure that when you're on a food tasting tour of Italy they generally take you to the good places...

2008 Jul 17
HFF - Huh! I thought that a lot of the problem with strawberries this year is that we've had so much rain, too. Regardless, I'm still going to buy another basket next week. It's worth it.

2008 Jul 25
Peter Rabbit: Maybe it's time you learn to cook, and then see if you can even satisfy yourself.

Honestly, if you didn't come across as such an ass, I would sympathize with you. I'm living in Toronto now, and I've found it extremely difficult to find food here that I like. I've listened to all the suggestions on Chowhound, scoured food blogs, and tried a few hundred places that were in my price range, and I've been virtually always disappointed. I also find it funny that I've seen the following conversations again and again on Chowhound:

Q: What's Toronto's best Thai food?
A: Toronto doesn't have any good Thai food.

Q: What's Toronto's best Mexican food?
A: There is no good Mexican food in Toronto.

Q: Where can I find good Greek food?
A: Toronto's Greek food sucks.

Q: What's the best burger in the city?
A: There are no good burgers in the city.

etc, but if you suggest that Toronto's food scene is lacking, it's like a horde of rabid wolves have been unleashed upon you (honestly, I think that it's just that they're hungry for good food and see you as something to eat at that point).

Now, I have managed to find maybe six to ten places that I do like after much searching, and that I think are pretty damn good. Surprisingly, to me, despite the fact that I think the quality of food and depth of flavour at these restaurants is superb, and the prices are often but not always reasonable, there are a number of experienced foodies out there that don't like them. Clearly, then, I have to acknowledge that tastes are tastes, and mine aren't worthy of being put up on some kind of pedestal. This is where I think you may have failed.

Honestly, I like Ottawa's food scene. In fact, I like it a lot better than Toronto. Toronto just got its first palatable (and downright good) Thai restaurant recently, but before then, it was a wasteland of badly prepared crap. Ottawa has some really fantastic Thai restaurants. Ottawa's got great Lebanese food. Toronto's Lebanese food is not disgusting, but it's pretty boring. I can think of a bunch more examples, too, where it's my opinion that Ottawa outshines Toronto. (Then again, I find a lot of cities better than Toronto vis-a-vis food, like Washington, DC, which has awesome food.)

Really, you do come across as a snob. I understand what you're saying, and yes, we do *deserve* good food, but every other sentence out of your mouth is just dripping with superiority and condemnation, and you have to understand that by criticizing the restaurants that we love, you are criticizing our tastes, and hence criticizing us. You expect us not to get defensive?

It's one thing to say, "I didn't like the French Baker. I found the croissants to be too buttery." It's another entirely to say, "The French Baker is horrible. I'm not a food reviewer and I have no obligation to tell you why I think it's disgusting." Although I love the French Baker and disagree, at least I can appreciate why someone might make the first statement and I would feel inclined to help someone saying that find something that does satisfy them. The second statement makes me want to apply my hand to your face.

2008 Jul 25
As a new transplant to Ottawa, I am (nervously) going to wade in here. I guess it is a little like looking at a car wreck...some times you just can't help yourself.

First on a positive note:

Ottawa is excellent for ingredients. There is great local produce and meats, high end cheeses, interesting Canadian game, and slightly subversive gourmet treats (like foie gras and cheval) that are available for the adventurous home cook. Outside of the world's great markets (ie: Jean Talon in MTL, La Boqueria in Barcelona or Rue Mouffetard in Paris as some examples)I think that the options for sourcing fresh ingredients are fantastic here and on par with any big city in the world, and I credit it to the significant French influence in the city. (I'm not Quebecois or French, but every farmer I buy from seems to be quebecois or franco-ontarien)

With respect to the restaurant scene...I'm tossed up (and still willing to continue trying new places). Domus and the Gastropub were good. Not transcendent. I need to try Beckta and Baccarat etc., but those places are very pricey, and they should be good as there really is no excuse otherwise. Beyond this, I have to admit I have been disappointed more times than I have been really (or even moderately) impressed. I'm glad to have found a website that will help me direct my food experiences better so that I will limit the amount of middling experiences I have in the future. But that being said, I have been disappointed many times even in food capitals like London, Rome and Paris, so I cannot hold it against the city because I am still trying to figure out where the best places to go are. It is just going to take time.

To me, what determines if a city has great food culture is the stuff that is accessible to everyone. Of course the highest end places are going to be decent. They should be at prices like that, and every city on earth has respectable high end cuisine. The question is how much great, non-pretentious food is available when you are just walking around looking far a quick snack, light lunch or a reasonably priced dinner. That is what separates truly great food cultures from mediocre ones.

So my journey continues, and I will reserve judgment for another day...haha.

On a bright note, the best resto in Canada (Au Pied du Cochon in MTL) is 1h45 min away so if you need world class food a quick weekend trip can easily satisfy your cravings...

2008 Jul 29
PeterRabbit...you would get along quite well with Andrew Cohen, a Globe and Mail columnist, Carleton professor, and critic of Ottawa, who believes that we have horrible food, as well as poor architecture, municipal politics, transit (he's right on that one), and pretty well everything else. Perhaps you are he in disguise?

2008 Jul 29
LadyWhoBrunches - LOL. But really, Cohen hates whoever he's writing to. If it's an Ottawa Citizen article, he hates Ottawa, if it's a Globe and Mail article, he hates Canada. Indeed, I was a little disapointed this past Canada Day when I awoke to find an article about how much he loves Germans rather than his usual Canada Day article about how much he hates Canada. Fortunately, he was just a day behind and his next article was appropriately hateful towards all things Canadian. What an @$$.