Hang your foodie head in shame... [Recipes]

2008 Feb 26
So I'm currently pregnant and I think the cravings are starting.

The other day I got this taste-memory that I knew was from my early childhood. My mom was not the best cook. she made about 5 different things and sometimes rotated them, and sometimes made the same thing for what seemed like days on end.

Anyway, I suddenly remembered this one thing and HAD to have it. So I did.

Spaghetti with plain Bravo brand pasta sauce mixed in to make a light to medium coating. Then top with one to two tablespoons of butter and let melt over top. Now I know it was delicious to me at the time, but I also know this is not a yummy meal most of the time.

So here's my question:

What kind of things do you crave that would never normally make it into a discussion about foodiness?

2008 Feb 26
Congratulations!

Your trashy pasta does sound pretty good, though. Lots of buttered toast, and preferably reheated the day after it's made.

I'd almost say that would be *my* unnatural craving: reheated leftover spaghetti, tomato sauce of some kind, copious amounts of buttered toast, and chocolate milk to drink.

If it isn't that, then it's Kraft Dinner. The angry yellow glow of processed cheese soothes me so. I could eat a whole friggin' box of that stuff. Make mine with a bit of ketchup and lots of black pepper, please.

(Naturally, everything else I crave is something I should be proud of!)

2008 Feb 26
Oh wait I forgot! I also had a craving for Kraft Dinner "Deluxe" which is the kind with the 'better' noodles and the Cheeze Whiz instead of powdered cheese flavoring.

2008 Feb 26
For me: Ramen ... not the cheapest of the el-cheapo packaged kind, but the one-step-up Korean types.

congrats, Tiana!

2008 Feb 26
For me it's the PC white cheddar Mac'n cheese. I also get cravings for pogos from time to time.

When my wife was pregnant, the only thing she REALLY craved was Boston Creme doughnuts. I had to make a few late night runs to Tim Horton's to keep the peace. :)

2008 Feb 26
My little craving is for Mexican/Latin American Chocolate... Doesn't sound to foodie-shameful... but I like to nibble on it raw, i.e. unprepared ... straight from the package.

mmmmm Cinnamony Chocolate.

Tiana: All the best with your 'trimesters'.

Reminds me when I was a kid, my mom said I was made of lots of leftovers, eaten from the pots off the stove, and with ketchup. Now someday, you may be able to say to your little one; "You're made of "Deluxe" Kraft Dinner, and not just regular Kraft Dinner". Then again, I bet times have changed.

2008 Feb 26
Momomoto - I wasn't talking about butter on toast... I was talking butter on the pasta itself.

2008 Feb 26
When I was a really little kid, my Paternal Grandfather lived with us, just before bedtime he'd like to have a late night snack of hot buttered toast dunked in maple syrup (sign of a true Quebecer). Later in life my Maternal Grandmother came to live with us, as an ex-Brit she loved her tea.

So here I am 40 years later and whenever I feel a melancholy, you'll find me in my flannel jammies dunking toast in maple syrup and sipping hot tea.

That or watching a movie and munching on potatoe chips.

Just depends on my cravings, so its either CARBS & SUGAR or CARBS & SALT

2008 Feb 26
Canned green beans. This is the only canned veg that I can possibly stand, but I just loooooove these little buggers. Paired with some KD and a hotdog they are ultimate in comfort.

2008 Feb 26
Lays BBQ potato chips. I have a bag just about every day at work. Finally clued in and bought a box at Costco since it's way cheaper :-)

Congrats BTW on the Bambino

2008 Feb 26
Tiana: I think that's the part that makes it extra-comforting!

Tre: No way pogos are something to be ashamed of. Mmmmmmm . . . corn dog.

2008 Feb 26
Definitely pasta. (Hey, I'm a carbohydrate addict, what can I say!) If I'm getting cravings at all any type of pasta will do. Anything from fancy sauces to Chef Boyardee. When I get cravings for noodles pasta of any type will do.

BTW congrats on the new addition to your family!

2008 Feb 26
I have to say I still part take in many horrors from my past.
One that I just can't say no to is the pogo. They are just so darn good!

Another are McCain's mini pizza's. The sauce is disgusting, the cheese revolting and the crust is like cardboard but there is something about them that makes me just want one? Nothing like nuking one and sitting in front of the tv watching Faerie Tale Theatre.

My new horrors consist of 'the pizza dog' which is a hotdog on a bun with generic pizza sauce, can't be home made or it just isn't the same, topped with melted cheese. Sooo good, but terrible for you.

Another is the President's choice butter chicken sauce. It is a new one for me and have to say incredibly addictive.

If anyone has a good recipe for butter chicken please share it with me so I can stop using the bottle stuff.

2008 Feb 26
FiH - Oh I used to be served those green beans with pimentos by my mom. Either that, or canned corn on a nightly basis. I have nightmares about them!

F&T - And you just reminded me of a yummy toast snack I used to have... my husband will be horrified!

2008 Feb 26
Pogo's are right up there, but when I can get away with it, it is often micro popcorn seasoned with Apple Cider Vinegar. This stems from my mothers belief that we could not have junk food as kids, so when we did get the odd potato chips, they were plain, so we would season them with vinegar, pretty nasty/soggy. As Ive aged, Ive "refined"??? my tastes to add the AC vinegar to my popcorn, not enough to make it soggy, but with a few damp spots, and since the AC vinegar is helpful for dieting, it neutralises the evil of the popcorn, right? huh?

2008 Feb 26
A few of mine...

-pogo
-ramen
-Velveeta
-pickled eggs

And the grand winner - pickled hot dogs!!!

P.S. Congrats Tiana!

2008 Feb 26
Sushifan: you have totally reminded me of something else ghetto fabulous. A friend of mine and I would take plain potato chips, season them with salt and vinegar, and microwave them. It's *ridiculously* difficult to get the timing right so that the vinegar doesn't just boil off.

2008 Feb 26
When I'm feeling low I sometimes go for a bowl of Lipton's chicken noodle soup with a peanut butter sandwich on the side (for dipping!!).

Congratulations!

2008 Feb 26
Momomoto, what did the microwaving do for it, besides warm it that is?

2008 Feb 27
"As Ive aged, Ive "refined"??? my tastes to add the AC vinegar to my popcorn, not enough to make it soggy, but with a few damp spots, and since the AC vinegar is helpful for dieting, it neutralises the evil of the popcorn, right? huh?" Popcorn is very good for you because it does not contain calories. Chocolate is also very good for you because it is made from milk hence a dairy product. French fries are also good because they are made from potatoes therefore a vegetable LOL. I have become very good at rationalizing all foods I eat! I figure I only live once so I might as well enjoy myself while I'm here...

2008 Feb 27
You know what? I'm not sure what the microwaving did beside warm it up. Helped the vinegar soak in better?

2008 Feb 27
When i'm getting over a cold, or sore throat, and am starting to feel a bit better, there's the usual meal that we used to make when i was young and it was quick and comforting... don't laugh now.. Alphagetti's and a grilled cheese.
:)

2008 Feb 27
Pasta Lover, I think we are kindred spirits, personally I think Chocolate counts as a meat because the milk used has passed through a cow. My hunny is always rolling his eyes at how I justify my food choices. Alcohol also counts as a fruit or a veg, depending on what you are drinking, and Baileys is of course a dairy.

2008 Feb 27
Yet another vote for Kraft Dinner - I have yet to find a recipe for real mac and cheese that would satisfy me like KD does!

2008 Feb 27
Hands down lime J-E-L-L-O!!!!!

2008 Feb 27
I am so sick right now, and oddly enough, I craved a fish burger. Totally f'd. Otherwise, I get odd cravings for crappy breakfast sausage patties, hotdogs & tinned baked beans w/ buttered toast.

2008 Feb 28
Chimichimi: I secretly love Highliner fish cakes. I can't stand fish STICKS or BURGERS, but for some reason those little fish cakes with a little ketchup rock my world.

2008 Feb 28
when I was at Mariposa Suzannes son Pierre and I would chow down every Sunday on hot dogs wrapped in pillsbury croissant dough (rolled with the dog split and cheese stuffed in)My wife and and I had them for dinner the other night and they were still yummy.

2008 Feb 28
Saltine crackers and ....margarine.

2008 Feb 28
When i'm down in the US, i'm sure to always pick up a box or two of *gasp* Cheez-it Twisters. If you like cheesy, salty, crunchy snacks, you owe it to yourself to try some one day.

I can't be held responsible for the consequences though.

2008 Feb 28
I love bagged fried pork rinds, my wife can't be in the same room as me when I eat them since she finds the smell nauseating but they're a treat to me anyhow.

2008 Feb 28
There's nothing to be shameful about when it comes to pork rinds. The oreilles de Crisse that we had at Au Pied de Cochon were heavenly.

Makes me wonder, though, whether or not I should have admitted to stone-cold loving those crunchy Cheetos. They taste like trips to the cottage.

2008 Feb 28
Kraft Dinner Extra Creamy or PC White Chedder Macaroni with canned peas mixed in.

2008 Feb 28
Oh sweet pork rinds or (Chicharones) as they call them in mexico are delicious and nothing to be ashamed of. Squeeze a little fresh lime and pow....mmmmmmm
Also great on tacos, gortitas, or enchilatas....

2008 Feb 28

ahhhh La Chicharrones !!!

Great to munch on at a Tijuana Bull Fight !!

My applogies to any Foodies who are also PETA-types.

2008 Feb 29
when i was pregnant I would make ramen noodles smothered in melted mozarella. My husband did suggest that maybe that was why I always felt sick!

2008 Feb 29
Hubby's favorite are Premium Plus saltines smeared with Cheese Whiz. I don't turn down the offer to share either.

Mine would have to be the following (in no apparent order):
- Whopper from Burger King (yes...I KNOW they have about 6 million calories, laced with every kind of bad fat that mankind has identified, and some not I'm sure...but I LOVE the flavour)
- Yes...a vote for Kraft Dinner here as well but I have graduated to the Sharp Cheddar. Much more tasty when you add some frozen peas, a little fresh cracked black and accompany with a nice glass of Merlot or Chianti.
- Grilled cheese with the extra thick Kraft slices, made with good seedy whole grain bread, a good slathering of butter for browning in the pan and served with LOTS of ketchup on the side for dipping.
- Dairy Queen white soft serve (sorry...there is no real vanilla in that). LOVE that stuff. It is so smooth and yummy.

2008 Mar 1
Melody Soul.. try the PC White KD with FROZEN peas. Just drop them in the boiling water with 2 minutes left to go, and they come out nice and piping hot with the KD. For me at least, the frozen peas taste way way better than the canned variety, and also you can choose how many, or how few to put it!

2008 Mar 1
Well, I have very good food taste and love very high end food. In fact, my fiancee blew the big meal budget for the year on one meal at Per Se in NYC in late January - it was great by the way!

I would love to say that I am above the type guilty cravings discussed here but that would be just lieing.... Sadly, I have too many and this is not good for cardiovascular health.

They are:

Big Macs.... I don't know what it is but I get cravings for these every so often and need one.

Pringle Potatoe chips ....

Kraft Garlic Chip dip.... this is disgusting but I crave it every now and again!

Peanut Butter Cups.... when the day is not going well at work I get the king size package

I remember reading an article in a magazine featuring 2 chefs who were women who very attractive and thin. When asked about this they said they did by being food snobs and only eating bad food when it was really great. I have been trying to replicate this philosophy without much success as the guilty pleasures above.... and some other ones too, keep sucking me back in!

Cheers

2008 Mar 1
Forgot to mention FOOD is HOT, if you like canned peas there is a terrific recipe by Daniel Boulud that you can substitue good canned peas for. Its delicious. Its an hors d'oeuvre called pea pompette.

I have made it entirely from fresh peas and beans but now tend to use a can of good quality peas and a can of good quality flat beans and a few fresh snapped peas because it still tastes very good and saves alot on work.

The recipe can be found here:

danielnyc.com

I typical use smoked duck or dried tomotoes for the garnish and I also use store bought pastry shells. Anyway, I have always gotten rave reviews and my fiancee always says she could have a whole meal of just this.

Cheers

2008 Mar 4
I will try the frozen peas sometime! I also love the occasional grilled cheese made with kraft singles and dipped in ketchup.

2008 Mar 4
Lipton's "chicken" noodle soup.......... my wife craves it when she's sick and I don't refuse when she wants to share.

2008 Mar 5
This is a great thread! I have to admit this (and NOBODY knows this): Wonder bread with butter and just mustard and ketchup. That's my ultimate comfort food.

KD is a huge winner (I add salsa to mine).

The last is embarrassing: KFC. Once a year I have a craving -- get some, eat it and wind up so disgusted that it takes a year to forget how grossed out I was and the cycle begins anew. :-)

2008 Mar 7
RobR - I'm the exact same way with KFC!

And here's another I forgot to mention previously - plain ol' white rice with a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup mixed in.

2008 Mar 7
My childhood comfort food was and still is pasta (usually macaroni) with canned stewed tomatoes or tomato juice, cheese usually cheddar or mozzarella and a dab of butter, all of this is of course well seasoned with pepper and salt. The only adult 'refinement' that I've added to it is sautéed onions.

We never ate KD at home as kids (my Mom's also a foodie) as so we never developed a taste for it.

2008 Mar 10
Almost everyone I know feels the same way about KFC. Once a year you decide to have it and when you do you are ultimately sickened by it and vow never to eat it again...until next year! LOL

2008 Mar 10
Melodysoul, I have a similar view regarding RedLobster.... everytime I go and have, what I consider to be, sub-standard seafood.... but then after about 2 years, I go back.

Not sure what others think of Red Lobster... in general, its good but its not as good as it should be.

Cheers

2008 Mar 10
I am afraid I am going to be shunned when I admit this but *inhale*: when I lived in residence, i.e. away from home for the first time, my residence gave out boxes of INSTANT mashed potatoes. I love them. It's probably because it's just pure carbs and because we were never given anything processed when I was growing up - my mom is a foodie and made mostly EVERYTHING from scratch. Sadly, they are so shameful and bad for you that I have sworn them off forever.

I also love hamburger helper (same story re: mom) which my best friend's mom made for us on a camping trip when I was 12. I have only had it maybe 6 times in my life but I do glance at the boxes guiltily in the grocery store.

I also love insanely sugary "fruit" drinks i.e. tang, that bottled lemonade that makes your mouth sting with all the sugar, slushies etc.

As for KD - I like the spiral kind. The texture is really addictive.

One last thing: orange tic tacs. If you have seen the movie Juno, I have the same love for tic tacs as the male character Bleeker.

2008 Mar 10
Did someone mention Red Lobster?! I have another confession to make, I could eat a truckload of their cheddar bay biscuits that they serve freely. I love them...

2008 Mar 11
Red Lobster is ok, but just ok...I also like the biscuits!

2008 Mar 11
Ah yes, Dead Lobster (ooops I mean Red Lobster) is an ok place. I too see it as another KFC, the kind of stop you make once a year to get your fill of fried goodies (although I do try to stay away from all that fried seafood). Once upon a time they were the only place in town one could get cheap seafood, (the fried kind) now there are lots of places. I would think these days their biggest competitor is Joey's Only, not only do they have the fried stuff, but they also have some decent fish dishes at low prices, AND they are in lots of neighbourhoods.

But like Chimichimi I too love those Cheddar Bay Biscuits. Something tells me once upon a time I had a recipe to make a "knock-off variety", I'll see if I can find it to share.

2008 Mar 11
Hey Jules.. is your fav mashed potatoes McCain, or Idahoan?

2008 Mar 11
KFC is something that I have an unnatural craving for every now and again, and it's magnificent eaten cold, the day after.

One good thing to have with KFC to cut the greasiness is a bone-dry sherry (like a Fino). It makes like magic in your mouth.

2008 Mar 13
I'm with Momomoto on this one. I also have unnatural cravings for KFC. Fried, greasy, salty chicken. What's not to like?

Adding to my shameful cravings list: Kraft Dinner and Instant Noodles. It's all about comfort food for me.

2008 Mar 14
As a child, my birthday food of choice was always KFC. As an adult, I have it once or twice a year and usually enjoy it. Coincidentally, my breakfast today consists in part of a KFC drumstick and wing I found in our freezer (just waiting for it to finish thawing). Not quite the day after but the general spirit is there. ;-)

I used to have an unnatural craving for McDonald's but after several years of caving to the craving then being disappointed and wondering "Why oh why?" I've stopped.

In fact, for the price of a meal at a fast food chain there are many more appealing choices out there. Lunch specials at Chinese restaurants, sandwiches from Dirienzo, etc. That Ottawa City magazine put out a special article last fall listing a whole whack of cheap and delicious snacks/meals available in Ottawa. I should dig that up...

For the record, I'm also a fan of KD and instant noodles (not in the same meal though).

2008 Mar 14
Does a frozen KFC drumstick help with a hangover? ;-)

2008 Mar 14
You can speed the thawing process by placing it on your throbbing forehead!

2008 Mar 14
LOL at the comments by Pete & Momomoto - Sounds like I missed a good time last night, I have to make a point to try and get out to one of these Wine Tastings in the future!

PS.. Fresh Foodie - Remember the recipe is "Hare of the Dog" (problem is that no one really knows where to buy bunny weiners do they ??)

;-P

2008 Mar 14
Ha! Good wines don't give me hangovers. I'm a little groggy today after less than 5 hours of sleep but aside from that all is well.

I think I'll pass on the bunny wieners though... ;-)

2008 Mar 14
I blamed it on the lack of sleep, too, for the very same reason: good wine doesn't give you hangovers.

2008 Mar 15
Pete, I refuse to dignify your mockery by telling!
Actually, I can't remember

Re: McDonald's cravings, my mom told me that while she was pregnant with me, McDonalds had just launched their breakfast pancakes. She said after seeing the commercial on tv 100 times she HAD to have them.

Anyway, when she arrived and ordered them, the cashier reached behind, grabbed a styrofoam box of pancakes and plunked them down in front of her. She promptly burst into tears!

2008 Mar 17
Speaking of McDonalds. Has anyone tried the new Cinnamon Melts? Hot and fresh from the microwave...lol. Seriously for $1.79 or whatever they are pretty damn good.

2008 Mar 17
Hmmm...is it "hare" or the dog or "hair" of the dog? I always assumed it was "hair" - as in a "hair" from the dog that bit you; as in a little peice of what's hurt you will cure you or something. Anyone know more on the origins of this phrase?

2008 Mar 17
Jules, I never mock flaked mashed potatoes. I grew up cooking McCain flakes, whenever my Dad and 'the boys' were slumming it, and then when I grew up (around 16 years old), my tastes matured to prefer Idahoan. If you haven't tried Idahoan.. I can highly recommend. Further, you can even get creative, and use the flakes in pancakes, and cookies if you dare.

2008 Mar 17
I've never had boxed mashed potatoes (they're not really hard to make after all) but we do have boxed scalloped potatoes and they're pretty good, and a hell of a lot easier than making them yourself.

Another vote for the PC White Cheddar Mac and Cheese too; great stuff.

2008 Mar 17
FiH, I'm pretty sure it's "hair of the dog" too. I took Food&Think's version in stride because I just figured she was intentionally being a little strange in her interpretation of a common phrase. For me to question her uh... creativity would be akin to some pot calling a kettle-chip snack! ;-)

The internet knows all (idioms.thefreedictionary.com): Etymology: based on the idea that if you were bitten by a crazy dog, the injury would heal if hair from the dog were put on it.

2008 Mar 18
Food is Hot & Fresh Foodie -- YES, I was indeed taking liberties with the English language (and being a bit of a smart@ss which at time I am known to be).

PS... Thanks for the history of the saying "Hair of the Dog" though, that was very informative, and not exactly what I would have guessed, my thinking was more inline with Food Is Hot's interpretation (which over time has become the common usage).

2008 Mar 20
I hear that instant mashed potatoes are a lot better now than they were even five years ago, thanks to advances in . . . I dunno, mashed potato technology or something.

Me? I don't have anything against them, but I do like the mashed potato process. Seeing all that butter and cream melt into cooked potato is like magic.

2008 Mar 20
When I used to take long bus trips (I don't like to fly, and I used to live in Victoria; taking the bus from Victoria to Winnipeg to see family a few times a year takes about 40 hours!), I used to get the instant mashed potatoes in a cup to take with me. After several scheduled "fast food" stops that the bus makes, your body starts to itch for something more wholesome tasting and less deep-fried. You can only eat so many Mr. Noodles, so I found that these little flavored mashed potato cups fit the bill nicely. Quite tasty!

2008 Mar 20
Back when my husband was living in a college dorm we used to make instant mashed potatoes, they aren't as good as the real thing but in a pinch they aren't too bad.

2008 Mar 23
Four words: Wavy Lays. California Dip.

2008 Mar 24
I'd say the innovation really started maybe 15 or 20 years ago Momomoto. Back when there was only Carnation 'powdered' instant potatoes were the dark ages. Both McCains and Idahoans are potato 'flakes'. My best description is that Carnation made something I'll liken to slightly less gritty 'grits'. Once the flakes came around, it seemed that they reproduced fairly well the original texture of the potato. I can only assume a flake is somehow less processed than a powder.. but this would be pure speculation. You see Jules, we are WAY less sane than you about fake potatoes... ;-)

2008 Mar 24
I am going to have to agree with Momomoto... KD is the way to go. But I also like to add sliced hot dogs (the cheaper the better), and heaping amounts of butter and 10% cream. Oh yeah, and the vibrantly red tomato ketchup and countless grinds of black pepper are customary. I also love Corn Flakes with maple syrup, popcorn and mustard, and yellow cheddar cheese with cucumber salad dressing. Gross sounding, I know, but it's actually not that bad. Trust me.

2008 Mar 24
I just read that KFC will soon be offering Grilled chicken along with it's fried chicken. They're trying to recoup the market share that they've lost by not being on the healthy band wagon!

2008 Mar 24
it's too bad that healthy is only a band wagon, I hope the heathly alternatives prevail since I don't think my cholesterol level can handle such innovations as the "Baconator"...

so as not to derail the thread from it's true topic so much, here's my next food confession.

pogos, yup corndogs but they have to be the Pogo brand, I think it might be a frenchy thing.

2008 Mar 24
Orleansfoodie - pogos are especially frenchy if you eat them with yellow mustard.

2008 Mar 24
Tiana, the yellow mustard is good but a true frenchy uses sweet mustard.

2008 Mar 25
TJ: Reminds me of what my roommate and I used to do in grad school. We'd "shabby chic" ourselves some beanie weenies, i.e. baked beans and hot dogs.

Only instead of using hot dogs we'd get some good-quality sausages, brown them, slice them, and then simmer them in the BBQ sauce of our choosing. So good.

2008 Apr 8
OK, OK, I know I'm going to regret asking this, but I can't seem to find the info elsewhere on the Web (GO AHEAD I CAN TAKE THE RIBBING).

McDonald's (yes but again another closet craver)... I know they recently rolled out the McRib Farewell Tour (Round Three) in the Ottawa area. I never go to a McDonald's but once upon a time long long ago I was a McRib Lover in University, and well I just want one for old-times... does anyone know if this promotion is still on? (After all I wouldn't want to put on my Fast-Food Disguise only to get to a McDonald's and find the promo was over... Gee whiz then I might just have to buy someother artery clogging concoction, and lord forbid I'd become a craver of that too) LOL ;-)

2008 Apr 8
Ughh...made and ate jalapeno poppers for the first time this past week-end. So simple; jalapenos, cream cheese, bacon. Yet so addictive.

2008 Apr 8
F&T: I love McDonald's far too much to consider it a shameful thing. I allow myself this perversion because I eat McDonald's far less than once a month.

Well, I eat McDonald's *lunches and dinners* far less than once a month. Sausage and Egg McMuffins are so good.

2008 Apr 8
Momomto - I hear ya. Unfortunately for both of us, a friend of mine once told me that pork was probably the worst choice at McDonalds (lots of fillers) he used to call the Sausage McMuffins "Sawdust McMuffins".

2008 Apr 8
The filler's probably why it tastes so good ;)