atelier - anyone going to try it? [Food/Vendor]

2008 Nov 14
Atelier just opened up near my house. i pass it every day and have watched with interest all the changes they have done. personally, i think the building looks terrible, you would never know it was a restaurant. ron, of omnivore's ottawa blog, put a review of opening night on his blog and while it was interesting reading, it didn't make me want to rush out to try it. i am very curious what other people are thinking, because it is in my neighbourhood, but also from a foodie perspective.

here is the blog review:
communities.canada.com

here is the website:
www.atelierrestaurant.ca/

2008 Nov 14
I'm looking forward to trying it sometime, hopefully soon. I think it's great to have something unique as this in Ottawa.

2008 Nov 14
Yep, gona try it for sure, and will post about it when I do!!

2008 Nov 15
I really really want to try it, it is pricey for a night out at $75 tasting menu each person... and I assume that doesn't include the drinks!! I really want to go but the other person is worried that one course is going to be something really gross, so I said, oh well, there'd be the next one to try.

Can't wait till one of us 'Foodies' writes a review. I know that there is that review above, but I prefer the reviews from 'average' people like us, rather than professional reviewers...

2008 Nov 17
I find this place (atelier) really intriguing, as a switcheroo from what we on this site normally participate in. We challenge restaurants to provide us good service, to provide us good food, to provide us good wine, and to provide us a good time. But with atelier, it is THEM challenging us to enjoy THEIR vision of food, and perhaps stretch our culinary selves a bit. And who can turn down a good challenge?

2008 Nov 17
I don't understand your comments PiO - can someone explain this place to me?

Though I guess for 75 bucks a head I won't be personally going there any time soon.

2008 Nov 17
The basic deal is that for all intents and purposes, this place does not have a menu... you do not get to choose. Every night, for $75 there is a 12 course tasting menu, and the $75 buys you all 12 courses. You are more or less at the whim and mercy of the chef. I suggest you read Ron Eade's blog entry (above) about this place as his description is quite comprehensive. I like the part about the use of liquid nitrogen. I called it a switcheroo just because instead of picking what you want from the menu, you get served to you what the chef has created (and quite possibly not at all what you wanted) which I think is an interesting deviation from our culture of 'getting things our way'.

2008 Nov 17
Hey, that is kind of neat. And I agree on deviating from our culture of "getting things our way". I try to humble myself in this way in as many ways as I can. Like when we bought our minivan 2 years ago we discovered after-the-fact that one of the remote keyless entry fobs was not working. I just kept it for me and decided not to report it to the dealer. So I have just been using my key ever since, the old fashioned way.

Anyway, I like that idea in a restaurant. Just not for 75 bucks :-) Would be nice if someone did a bit less haughty-taughty 4 course for 30 bucks or something :-)

I'll go read the blow though.

2008 Nov 17
Although I am open to trying new things, and willing to pay for them (so the $ 75 doesn't put me off) I have to say that after reading Ron Eade's "Omnivore Ottawa", I am somewhat put off by this place, seeing as it too high-brow for me. So at this point I have no plans for going there.

2008 Nov 18
My motto is if you don't like something, then change the rules! The restaurant only seats 22 people, and the chef is from The Courtyard, which had quite an extensive menu over the years. Why not line up 21 friends, and ask the Chef Marc Lepine if you can request a theme, and then let him 'go to town'... sort of like open mike night at a comedy club. You could request a 50's Diner night, or perhaps Zym could request a 'Smoked and Fried' night? I'm not sure the chef's focus (can I speak for him?) is high-brow, rather than just insanely creative. Just my take on things...

2008 Nov 18
Food & think: I'm glad you said that.

2008 Nov 18
With my luck I'd show up on Banana and Raisin Night.

Sounds like it could be fun however. It will be very interesting to see how it fares in this city. Tough time to be opening a restaurant such as this in the present economy.

2008 Nov 18
Inkling - LOL, "Banana & Raisin" Night, I can't believe how many people I know don't like either of these foods (wouldn't work out for me either).
;-)

2008 Nov 18
I'll be trying it next week. If their concept is well executed, 75$ for is a good deal.
And what's wrong with it potentially being "high-brow"? Restaurants like this have their place.

2008 Nov 19
Draft Diner - I can't rightly say why I see this place as being "high brow", I just perceive it that way (after reading the Omnivore Ottawa Review in particular) and hence I don't have much interest in going there. But I agree to each their own. I have to wonder though if there is enough interest in this sort of thing within Ottawa when the the charge is $ 75 per person, I wouldn't think we have the market for it like Montreal or Toronto might.

BTW... Sometimes you icon / avatar cracks me up... like today the way it is looking out at me and saying "And what's wrong with it potentially being high-brow" (mind you I'm hearing these words with sort of a California valley-girl accent at the same time). Too funny!

2008 Nov 19
Ideally, I'll go in a couple of months (i.e. around my birthday, so I don't have to pay for it.)

To be honest, if it's properly executed I kinda dig a place that has an atmosphere of "high-brow, but tongue-in-cheek." When each course is an invitation to both play with your food and see your food as a work of art, it tickles me.

It's like really good industrial design: form and function as a complete entity, where everything just seems right.

God, I can be such a wanker sometime ;)

2008 Nov 20
i am finding everyone's input very interesting. personally, i find the price too much for my pocket book. the menu says they will accomodate vegetarians, so that is very intriguing. i think if i had an extra $75 sitting in my wallet i might try it out.

one thing i was very disappointing in was, with all the renovations, the building is very bleak and industrial. i really wanted something to be proud of in my neighbourhood, like the new moon room (which i am definitely going to try). you can't tell in this picture, but the paint on the side of the building is already streaking off from the elements. not very nice.

right beside atelier is another new restaurant venue opening up. i heard it would be a coffee shop, but i am not positive on that. i really like the look of the new place, sadly, just not atelier....

attached is a picture of atelier (there is now a very small light over the front door, but nothing else has changed).

2008 Nov 20
Hip Funky Fun - I see your point. This building looks more like a residential building than the hip kind of spot they are trying to portray themselves as.... not quite sure what they could do to the outside, but this isn't it (way too plain). Maybe some funky black awnings over the windows. Hopefully they'll give the outside a makeover come Spring.

2008 Nov 20
It looks like their attempt at fashionably minimal was a fail.

2008 Nov 20
I haven't seen it "live" but I bet it looks more slick at night. And that's what counts -- at least in the winter. ;-)

2008 Nov 20
FF, you're so diplomatic. :)

2008 Nov 20
i just drove by a little while ago and it doesn't look better in the dark. i didn't have my camera with me. it is very dark, no outside lights except for a very small one over the door. you can't see in very well because of the rusty grate over the front window. i don't understand the rusty grates over the stairwell or the front window. i don't understand what the look was they were going for.

2008 Nov 23
i'd like to try this. unfortunately i know my SO would never dare order a blind tasting menu (think inkling's "banana and raisin night" comment!)

in my opinion $75 is reasonable considering the upper echelon of restaurants in Ottawa charge $35-$50 for a main course, $12-$20 for an app, and $10+ for a dessert. this is 12 courses! other tasting menus run around the same price (some are $100+) and are usually 5-6 courses.

the location looks pretty industrial but keep in mind this is a restaurant that doesn't have 'walk-ins'. they don't need a flashing neon sign or anything :P

2008 Nov 26
Um, Pete - I kind of love the idea of gathering 22 people together and requesting a theme night (comfort food maybe?). I know past attempts at gathering large numbers of foodies together has failed but would anyone else be up for this in the spring sometime?

2008 Nov 26
Pam - We would totally be there. Theme or no theme.

2008 Nov 26
Pam: You can count me in!

2008 Nov 26
With hard economic conditions ahead, it looks like it's time to bring up an earlier idea.

link: www.ottawafoodies.com

2008 Nov 27
I'd be interested in the theme night if the interest was there...

2008 Nov 27
Pam what a great idea - you can count me in!

2008 Nov 27
i read a post from marc, on e-gullet, that he wanted the building to look like darth vadar.

forums.egullet.org

so far the restaurant has always been empty when i have gone past. i hope that just means that people are dining late and not that they are not going.

2008 Nov 27
From the eGullet forum: "We do not cook with gas. We do not have a stove. We have no grill, no deep fryer, no heat lamps, no exhaust system. All of our cooking apparatuses can be tucked into a cupboard. .... We cook with immersion circulators, single-hob induction surfaces, dehydrators, pressure cookers, heat guns, a thermomix, solar ovens, etc."

No gas stove, no grill, no deep fryer... now that is Super Trendy !!

PS: The pic is Atelier's Anti-Kitchen.

2008 Nov 27
I wonder if they have a Flavor Wave Oven .... The one made famous on TV by Mr. T.

2008 Nov 27
CC, maybe they can just "Set it, and forget it"?

I'd absolutely be up for going to Atelier

2008 Nov 29
I have been away for 18 days in France where I ate up a storm and I am already missing the food experiences I had over there. Anyway, I have a few comments on Atelier that I would like to make.

1) I am quite a fan of tasting menus and I think $75 is not at all unreasonable depending on what you are getting. Indeed, I have spent significantly more on tasting menus in the 1 or 2 big meals my wife and I do each year when we are out of town on holiday, so I do not think the charge for that menu is necessarily a problem.

2) I have not had a chance to read Ron Eade's blog but as I understand it from the previous posts the tasting menu is blind and is the only option. I am glad to see from their website that they offer alternatives for alergies and strong dislikes. For me, it's never a problem to do a blind tasting as I will try anything even if its food I normally dislike and in the past have been rewarded for doing so. But there are many people that have significant food aversions. My wife for example is fairly into new things but there are many foods she is just not going to try (foie gras and sweet breads are at the top of the list). If they happen to be offering 2-3 courses that someone does not like, well it would not be good. So I think its important to offer people alternatives if they don't like something and good ones at that (i.e. you don't replace foie gras or lobster with a salad and that did happen to my wife once).

3) A tasting menu is my favourite way to experience a restaurant. It simply gives the kitchen more opportunities to succeed. When I went to Per Se in New York which had 9 official courses, plus an additional 5-6 amuse bouches/pre-desserts etc., not every course was absolutely outstanding (everything was very good at minimum though). But when I think back to that meal, I don't think about the courses that were just very good, I think about the courses that were orgasmic and there were about 5-6 of those. So I love tasting menus.

4) Despite my love of tasting menus, I do not think a restaurant in Ottawa will be able to stay in business if it is only offering a tasting menu. I just don't think there are enough restaurant going types to support that style of menu in this city. There will be many who simply want to order 1-2 courses and maybe dessert. The point of a restaurant, is at the end of the day to be successful financially. I think they should have the tasting menu but I think they need to offer an ala carte menu as well in this city if they hope to last.

5) The molecular gastronomical angle they appear to be taking is interesting. I have had minor offerings of this sort at other restaurants, but I have never been to a restaurant that is a full on molecular gastronomy restaurant. I will be interested in hearing the experiences of people who go there. I have been hoping to either hit one in Chicago or NYC in the next 3-5 years but maybe I will be able to do so sooner if they keep going.

6) I think the name is a mistake. The name Atelier rang a bell with me the moment I heard it but could not place it - so I googled it. The restaurant I was thinking of was the legendary Joel Robuchon's L'Atelier in the UK which has one Micheline Star. I realize that restaurant names get repeated and while L'Atelier may not be Robuchon's flag-ship restaurant, I don't think it was the best move to adopt the name, but what's done is done.

I wish them success. If I read good reviews on hear I will try to get out to it in the next year.

Cheers

2008 Nov 29
I will revisit the theme/group dinner idea in January sometime, after I return from four weeks out of the country this December :) Stay tuned for New Zealand foodie experiences...

2008 Nov 30
Hi everyone. Hey, a website for foodies all based in Ottawa, this is great! What a wicked city we live in. It’s one that I’m both proud and excited to be a chef in. I thought I’d clarify a few things about Atelier so that you could get the right information (straight from the horses mouth … or however that expression goes.)

We are a ‘tasting menu only’ restaurant, yes. We serve a 12-course menu every night to everyone. At the time of reservation, we ask each guest if anyone at his or her table has dietary restrictions, allergies, and even strong dislikes (such as bananas and raisins). Because we only have 20 seats, we are then able to tailor menus to each table when needed. It is recommended that guests go in blind, however the menu may be seen beforehand if desired as well. This is different for Ottawa, I realize; but my staff and I are doing what we love doing, and we believe very strongly that upscale dining is in need of some changes.

I am including a link to our website which provides a fair amount of information about what we are up to, especially on our blog page:www.atelierrestaurant.ca/. Please feel free to ask me any questions about the restaurant on this forum, or alternatively, stop by the restaurant anytime you like for a tour. We are there at noon everyday but Sunday.

Marc

2008 Dec 1
Thanks for the post Marc. Your restaurant is right around the corner from my house, so welcome to the neighbourhood (both there and here on the ottawa foodies website). I love all the changes going on around Preston street, it is a very exciting time to be there.

2008 Dec 2
Sorry for the late reply Pam (not polite to keep a lady waiting is it?) The theme/group dinner thing does sound pretty cool. I'll jealously wait for your return from New Zealand and we can look into it then.

2008 Dec 14
Went last night. It was a lot of fun and well worth the $75 each (plus $55 each for a wine pairing - seven wines).

All of the dozen courses were at least very good. Some were fantastic. The most fun was a very simple "Soup". It was a potato chowder that came with custom made spoons. The spoon handles each held a test tube with something to add to the soup - each diner had a different ingredient. It was fun to guess what the ingredients were and to share around the table. The presentation on all the dishes was great. Check out the photos I took, including a scan of the menu:

www.flickr.com

If you are up for a bit of a foodie adventure, GO!

2008 Dec 14
Wow LovesToEat! Great pictures. I feel as though I went for dinner too. The six degrees of bacon looks interesting. Besides the bacon ice cream, what were the other creations on the plate?

2008 Dec 14
What kind of camera do you use? Nice pics.

2008 Dec 15
Thanks. I like to be unobtrusive when I take these types of pictures, so at dinner I use a Canon PowerShot SD950 IS. It's small, and it has image stabilization and macro mode. I almost never use flash for these types of shots again to be subtle about taking the pics, but also because if you can get the shot with available light at the dinner table the image is usually more interesting and less harsh. If you check out my other food pics you will see some sets are much better than others, basically because of available light. The light at Atelier was enough to get pretty good shots. Compare that to my shots from Per Se, for example, where the light decreased considerably over the meal so the first shots were pretty well lit and for the last few it was way too dark to get a good shot.

2008 Dec 16
Lovestoeat, your pictures are mind blasting!

The six elements from the Six Degrees of Bacon course are:
1) Roasted Marshmallow, Graham Cracker Sauce
2) Chocolate Fudge Brownie, Dark Chocolate Ganache
3) Fluid Coffee Gel, Vanilla Milk Froth
4) Caramel Creme Brulee
5) Apple Pie Filling, Streusal, Pie Crust
6) Bacon Ice Cream, Bacon Bits

2009 Jan 15
So I'm going here soon and I need to know: Appropriate attire???? Are we talking jeans and a nice shirt or something more fancy?

2009 Jan 16
^ never been - but since nobody else has piped up my choice would lean more on the casual side (male POV - jeans and a button up shirt, possibly a sportscoat/jacket)

2009 Jan 16
I'm so happy to see something like this in Ottawa! Hopefully I'll put aside enough money from my OttawaU student budget to go someday. Or maybe when I graduate? Just stick around for at least two more years, thanks ^^

Marc : I absolutely love the blog! At first I thought there were two posts (the first one and the last one) but I've since found the others and been reading them for the past hour. Je vous souhaite beaucoup de succès dans cette belle aventure !

2009 Jan 18
There is no dress code, it is a casual restaurant. But to those who like to live life on the edge, anyone who dresses up as the king Elvis Presley will get a 15% discount on their meal. Sideburns are optional but the one piece jumpsuit is mandatory for the discount.

2009 Jan 20
A review of atelier from the ottawa citizen www.canada.com

2009 Jan 29
dinner @ atelier was the most creative cuisine i've tried in ottawa. kudos to originality, execution, taste, temperature, texture and presentation! the chefs (or should be called chef-alchemists) raise the bar high on edgy cuisine with mind blowing taste and texture combinations. NOTE: atelier is a blind tasting menu. you are presented with unknown dishes and given the menu at the end. every dish revealed out of the kitchen was greeted with anticipation, surprise and extreme curiosity. dishes kept getting better and better with a taste experience that takes you all over the place! atelier is not recommended a place for kids, fussy eaters or rookie foodies. this is a place for those who want to take risks and discover edgy culinary arts and stimulate your taste sensations, developing your mental palate. the atelier experience means something different and unique to everyone. you definitely make your own sense out of it all! taste separation and mixing with the opportunity for you to mix the flavors in the plate or enjoy them separately as you see fit. the atelier experience will prove to be deliciously narcotic and rewardingly addictive!

2009 Jan 29
a contemporary and minimalistic dining room seating about 20. high back chairs make that are very comfortable for a relaxed dining experience.

2009 Jan 29
eye catcher decor

2009 Jan 29
for starters, a dill pickle bread with whipped butter was served. now we're talking about spiking a very flavorful bread with the addition of dill pickle juice!

2009 Jan 29
phase 1 - light flavors

1) caviar creamsicle.

whitefish caviar on frozen vodka cream sauce and brushed with orange juice on the outside and served on a lollipop stick. good flavor sequence that started with the cold vodka cream melting in your mouth followed by the distinct next layer of the caviar and orange following suit and remaining after the cream has been swallowed. a very sequential and crazy taste experience!

2009 Jan 29
2) hot and cold oyster

this was the start of unique utensils with a modern and industrial design concept. the spoon's handle was part stainless steel clothes hanger with a piece of star anise contributing to an atmospheric scent as you bring the spoon close to your mouth. on the spoon was an oyster from colville bay on a piece of lemon, topped with a frozen sambal chili-based hot sauce and a leaf of cilantro. the cold flavorful oyster was followed by a hot sensation from the samba that kicks in slowly and with your eyes closed. i'm starting to get hooked on this experience!!

2009 Jan 29
hot and cold oyster zoom in

2009 Jan 29
3) scallop

next surprise was a seared scallop from qualicum beach in vancouver on a black truffle bread pudding with discs of red grapes. on the plate were various sauces to sample and combine: vanilla brown butter, red grape suace, and i believe a tangy vinaigrette. this was an interesting dish combining an experiment of sea and land offerings. i really enjoy truffles and the slice hidden in the bread pudding added to its fun desert and earthy flavor with the smooth texture of the tasty scallop.

2009 Jan 29
next up was the presentation of a test tube spoon. whoever comes up with this concept must be some crazy scientist as this a restaurant that is morphing into a chemistry lab. the test tube embedded in the spoon's handle was filled with toasted pine nuts and bacon bits. popping the cork revealed the rich aroma of roasted pine nuts combined with the amazing bacon. taking time with the sense of smell one can easily distinguish the two scents intertwined and the combination was a winner.

2009 Jan 29
4) nitro noodle soup

the butternup squash soup with a togarashi chili spice blend with crab apple puree propelled into liquid nitrogen and fizzing away appearing like dry ice vapor trails. with the addition of the pine nuts and the bacon to the soup and crab apple puree you will tickle your mind with the combination of hot, cold with crunchy and soft textures. i was so impressed with this soup experiment that soup everywhere else will be boring, including your mom's.

2009 Jan 29
4) nitro noodle soup with roasted pine nuts and bacon bits from test tube spoon added.

2009 Jan 29
phase 2 - deeper flavors

5) lychee snow

this was a palate cleanser made of lychee, sugar and water frozen and pulverized at high speeds in a thermomix to get until the consistency of snow is achieved. a squirt of pineapple juice (my all-time favorite juice!) into the snow was an interesting concept. when spooned into your mouth then swallowed smoothly, the sensation of tropical flavors and the canadian winter quickly take over your senses.

2009 Jan 29
5) lychee snow zoom in. definitely looks like what you think...

2009 Jan 29
6) fish endangering you

now this one was extremely whimsical and borderline comedy. the server came from the kitchen with a fishing rod and attached to its hook was a piece of albacore tuna to bait you. now don't bit this with your mouth unless you want to be endangered and at the bottom of the food chain ;)

2009 Jan 29
6) fish endangering you zoom in.

albacore tuna turned into a bacon with salt and maple syrup and sugar then pan-seared and coated with butterscotch and chives. WOWOWOWOWOW! one is left to take the piece of fish with ones' fingers off the hook then slowly taste the flavors. this was supreme and very difficult to describe but this seafood combination with sugary flavors and the chives were winners. the warm hankerchief roll served to clean the fingers thereafter.

2009 Jan 29
7) potato salad.

or shall we call this potato salad city going once around the world! this dish was greeted with hysterical laughter. it was so artfully presented that it would be a sin to eat it! but then, i am a sin eater. the central potato was cooked sous vide with butter in a vacuum sealed bag and topped with parsley mayo and a dehydrated leek ring. starting from the lower left, the taste experience is enhanced with black roasted sesame seeds; followed clockwise with a slice of lime in a vinaigrette ring, romano cheese with i guess on a splash of mustard oil vinaigrette, a radish ring on red barley-like grains; followed by a roll of cured pork leg with a parsley leaf on its side. another dehydrated leek ring and finishing off with a radish disk on a cucumber salad with lime juice. again so many flavors and textures! the cruncky leek ring really stands out as does the lime radish and cheese and new things start to happen as you mix the ingredients with the sauces and vinaigrettes your own way on the plate.

2009 Jan 29
8) mushrooms

pearl oyster, erengi and cinnamon cap mushrooms lightly stir-fried in butter on a sunchoke puree with 3 goat cheese gnocchi. babyblue i have been there with you!!!! this was a very earthy tasting dish for 'shroom lovers and those foraging for earthy flavors perfectly paired and punched up with the cheese from the gnocchi. what went through my mind thereafter was the thought of adding shaved black truffles to this dish and how would turn out to be...

2009 Jan 29
9) elk

ladies and gentlemen, be grateful for what you are about to receive -- the highlight of the evening! elk ribeye from kanata cooked sous vide at 50C then pan-seared and topped with a pearl oyster mushroom. starting on the left was a cube of beet with a brussel sprout leaf chapeau. julienned carrots on caramelized turnip. the elk was fantastic, lean with a smooth gamey taste of quality with an appearance of rare steak; however, it is fully cooked and the sous vide/under pressure cooking technique for some scientific reason does not change the red meat to brown. only the pan searing completes the cooking and seems to effectively lock in the flavor as well as the red meat interior look. celeriac puree with a skyward garnish of dehydrated onion and red cabbage. the plate was whimsically garnished with flair a la modern art with a paintbrush stroke of beet sauce and dotted sequence of carrot sauce. this dish immediately makes me want to study in detail my copy of thomas kellar's under pressure! there was so many flavors in this dish that one must take their time to enjoy the experience. the different flavors tells a long story, opens up worlds, and challenges the mind to make one's own sense of separating and combining diverse flavors.

2009 Jan 29
pej's specially requested extra spicy caesar

and my fave cocktail -- an extra spicy caesar -- since cocktails weren't yet on the menu, the kitchen came up with clamato with vodka, wine, worchestershire, frank's hot sauce and rimmed with bacon bits and garnished with a lime. they asked me what would i call it... i'd say WHO'S YOUR DADDY BLT CAESAR (for bacon / lime / tomato!) thank you for accomodating and concocting a creative surprise so quickly!

2009 Jan 29
phase 3 - deserts

10) cheesecake

now what do we have here?! a new york style soft and smooth cheese cake filling on a flaky cheezy cheddar cookie topped with dehydrated and crystallized honey and pieces of crispy wontons adding crunch and crystal textures. on its side were crusted candied walnuts which were playful and fun tasting treats. neighboring this was a pear puree and strudel pastry flakes serving as a foundation for an orb of concorde grape sorbet topped with concorde grape skin was a nice cold shock and explosive! except for the cheese cookie escaped my senses and i felt could have been enhanced with old cheddar. interestingly the kitchen was able to offer this dish to me with a slice of 2 year old cheddar for a lingering cheese taste to round out this dish and this also propelled me to give this experiment my seal of approval.

2009 Jan 29
11) liquid centers

immediately you will think of the caramilk chocolar bar commercial: "how do they get that soft flowing caramel in that caramilk bar?" it must be enzymatic. starting on the left then clockwise: a cylinder of whiskey caramel with jack daniels well done and cold; a drop of ovaltine sauce, malt liquid ball with old english malt beer and crusted with whoppers, a warm ovaltine ganache cake, then rounding off with dehydrated honeycomb. this desert had the most fun as the centers for each malt-themed item had a liquid interior! the liquid ball exploded on the plate when touched; slicing through the cake revealed a tasty liquid oozing out, and the cold malt cylinder had a nice flowing surprise. this is borderline wizardry!!!

2009 Jan 29
explosion!

2009 Jan 29
liquid centers... lick it up YEAH!

2009 Jan 29
liquid centers... lick it ALL up YEAH!

2009 Jan 29
12) citrus study

this was a playful experiment based on the acidity of citrus fruit. on the left was a cube of jellied lime, two torch-toasted marshmallows, a centerpiece of frozen citrus foam/lemon yogurt sided with strudel pastry flakes, orange sponge with interspersed with grapefruit dots.

2009 Jan 29
13) the elvis truffle

do you wear blue suede shoes? you sure will after this baby. all you need to complete this is your own marilyn monroe. this was a banana peanut butter filling with a white chocolate coat and garnished with bacon bits. this final taste was pimp surpreme! i'm sold and i'm coming back soon!

2009 Jan 29
Mr. Daddy, you're the man ... great photos and descriptions. :-)

2009 Jan 29
Pej Daddy - Welcome back... as always great photos, and descriptive info. Hope to see you around more often.

2009 Jan 30
Thirded (or however high it is now): great photos. I especially like the composition of the Elvis truffle. Makes my mouth water.