KFC Double Down sandwich coming to Canada [Food/Vendor]

2010 Oct 8
For all you KFC aficionados, the infamous Double Down sandwich is coming to Canada from October 18th through November 14th. Only 4 weeks!?

To respond preemptively to the inevitable reactions, let me point out that this fast food product is not much worse than anything else available out there. The buns in fast food sandwiches are nutritionally empty and offer nothing but simple carbohydrates that turn to sugar as soon as they hit your tract.

Here are the stats comparing this product to the gold standard Big Mac:

KFC Double Down
Calories: 540
Fat: 32g
Sodium: 1380mg

McDonald's Big Mac
Calories: 540
Fat: 29g
Sodium: 1020mg

The extra sodium is significant, but still less than a big bowl of pho or a smallish bowl of instant ramen.

[Edit: Had to add this one to show the extreme end of fast food...]

Quiznos Large Tuna Melt
Calories: 1760 (plus 370 with dressing)
Fat: 93g (plus 40g with dressing)
Sodium: 2120mg

2010 Oct 8
I can't wait to dip it in their gravy!

2010 Oct 9
Did not know this about Quiznos.
I never eat there,but am going to look up their nutrition info.
really curious now!

2010 Oct 9
Mmm, chicken cordon bleu.

2010 Oct 9
No lettuce?DOUGH!

2010 Oct 9
Looks like it could use a smattering of baconnaise.

2010 Oct 9
I dun like the fake cheeze...
Maybe if you make something like this at home you could make a better one.

I would use those MM meatshop breaded chicken burgers,cheddar and whatever real cheese,paprika bacon (or something from bank st sausage) or else maybe maple leaf maple flavor bacon? mayo,lettuce tomato
-maybe even use one patty of the MM meatshop spicy breaded chicken and one regular patty.

I muse be one of the few ppl who does not like KFC food that much.
tried the vegetarian sandwich once this year!

2010 Oct 10
When I was living in Europe, my German and French friends could not understand the popularity of McDonalds/fast food. One of them summed things up- she said you eat it and it's like some sort of spongey texture and once you've finished eating, it's like what was that that I just ate. Most fast food has that unmemorable element to it. I will say that you're probably better off eating a double down than a pound or so of chicken wings.

2010 Oct 11
I am not a huge fan of fast food.
Most of the time when I have eaten Mcdonalds I end up getting sick around 20 minutes later...
I can not tolerate whatever it is they use for their oil to fry stuff.

The only things I can eat from Mcdonalds is the ice cream, apple pies sometimes-but they are never that great.
I am trying to make my own apple crisps now as their "apple pie" is so fattening I am trying to avoid it..and that there is barely any apple in it.

Also that most fast food places they use that fake chicken stuff-like chicken loaf or something.

Thesedays if I do get fast food it is usually a salad of a subway vegetable sandwich if there is nothing around (like once a year maybe).

2010 Oct 11
"Also that most fast food places they use that fake chicken stuff-like chicken loaf or something."

Can anyone confirm whether KFC uses mechanically separated chicken meat?

2010 Oct 11
Prettytasty - check this thread I just started

Forum - Low Fat Apple Turnovers

2010 Oct 12
Around the office a couple of years ago we came up with what we thought was the ultimate junk food.

Take the KFC extra crispy skin only - wrap it around poutine with the KFC gravy. No meat just fries, fat and cheese - I can only imagine what the dietary readings on that bad boy would be. Can't imagine anything worse for you - but the quinzo's numbers have me wondering.

2010 Oct 12
I'd like to see comparision on Carb and Protein specs.

2010 Oct 12
I have only eaten Quizno's once and felt so bad afterward that I have never returned. I thought maybe it contained MSG but never checked--the huge amount of sodium may have been enough to send me over. Not a big fastfood fan but Quizno's is defintely a never go for me. About every year or 2 I do want something KFC--usually after I have driven past a location and smelled that smell! I still don't feel so great but can at least function--hate to admit it but I like the coating more than the chicken.

2010 Oct 14
I am not sure if KFC uses mechanically separated meat, but for their nuggets they might and their chicken burger I think.
the crispy mini kind of seemed that way..but it was so long ago i tried it.

the kfc veggie burger is weird.

2010 Oct 17
I was at the Pizza Hut/KFC/Taco Bell on Industrial Friday and noticed they had this sandwich available. I chickened out and went for the cheesy gordita crunch and a burrito instead. I think I will attempt it next week.

2010 Oct 18
So...with more than a little morbid curiosity and a ravenous hunger fueled by a weekend outdoors I recently tried this "sandwich" on a backcountry road trip. I hadn't been to KFC in at least a decade, and the experience of ordering and waiting around for 20 minutes was something I hadn't anticipated. It's like semi-fast food, I was amazed and how cheerful and pleasant the girl at the counter was despite the fact that she was waiting on about 15 somewhat grumpy people waiting for their fried chicken.

jason has it right it's a handheld ghetto chicken cordon bleu, and not exactly cheap at 6.99 for just the sandwich.

It's actually relatively decent, not nearly as greasy as I expected. It has a ton of mayo-ish sauce which is overkill, the cheese and bacon are kinda unnecessary but not particularly overwhelming. After eating it I didn't have that leaden stomach that a Whopper/Big Mac combo can often leave you with.

In the end, I'll likely never eat another, but it certainly wasn't as horrible or gluttonous as I was anticipating.

Now swap out the bacon/mayo/process Jack cheese for a Double Down Kiev with some broccoli florets cooked in cheddar sauce...now that might get me back inside KFC before 2020.

2010 Oct 18
Thank you for potentially sacrificing your health in the name of food research, Tracinho. :) I don't think I can do this one.
The last time I tried something like this, I ate the Baconator. It had been on my bucket list, but turned out to be disappointing and quite small.

2010 Oct 18
I "chickened" out in fear of lineups after seeing how much promotion was going on, but I'll get around to trying it hopefully later this week. A friend of mine went and took this photo. It doesn't look much like the promo picture but it still looks appetizing (to me)... ;-)

The price seems inflated, but I guess they're going to milk it for all its worth since it's offered for a very limited time.

Hungry now! :S

2010 Oct 18
Everyone should read the Fancy Fast Food blog for a new take on fast food.

2010 Oct 19
For the sake of novelty I had one for lunch today. It wasn't nearly as gross as I imagined in terms of texture, but it did fall apart pretty easy so have plenty of napkins on hand. The overall problem though is that it tasted predominantly of salt. The flavours I could detect underneath the sodium seemed ok but it was like biting into a salt lick for the most part. I needed all of the half litre of soft drink to get it down.

Worth it to say you had one but if that's not enough for you, steer clear.

2010 Oct 21
It's done. I would have to agree this sandwich is just too salty. The sauce seemed to part of the salty culprit. For $7 it is kind of samll. While in the U.S this summer we tried the grilled chicken and enjoyed it better than any of their other products. I see on the KFC.com website it is offered in grilled chicken as well. I wonder if that one is just as salty.

2010 Oct 21
I tried one today too, and I was actually pleasantly surprised at the size (but only because everyone said it was small). I had some time to mull over why it is so salty and it all makes sense...

The batter is the same stuff that's used on their chicken pieces and burgers. With pieces, you have less batter per volume of meat. With burgers, there is one patty and a whole bunch of flavourless bread that mellows the salt. In the Double Down, there are TWO patties, and the only things available to "cut" the salt are the sauce, bacon, and cheese -- none of which perform that role well. Each bite yields FOUR layers of batter (top and bottom of each patty). The pepper jack cheese seemed to be of relatively high quality (in fast food terms). The pure breast meat was also pretty classy, although the high price demands nothing less. There was a pronounced white pepper taste (from the sauce?) that I didn't like too much.

Anyway, it was fun to try it, but I'm not looking to have another one before they disappear!

2010 Oct 21
Someone mentioned the 1/2 litre of pop to wash it down...this most likely adds even more sodium. Think I'll miss the double down and just indulge ever so occasionally on a Twoonie Tuesday...do they still have those?

2010 Oct 22
I'd bet that the meat itself is also probably brined/injected/whatever with salt water. So add that to the sauce, bacon, cheese and fried coating...it makes sense salt is very high.

2010 Oct 22
Friendly's is stepping it up a notch!! THE GRILLED CHEESE BURGER MELT!!!!! only 1,500 calories, including 97 grams of fat and 2,090 milligrams of sodium.

but wait friendly's takes the cake with 1,710-calorie Clamboat Basket, with 102 grams of fat and 3,070 milligrams of sodium.

dammit how could i forget.....Burgers kings PIZZA BURGER!! at only 2500 calories, 144 grams of fat(59 g saturated fat) and 3780 mg of sodium.

2010 Oct 22
here it is!!

2010 Oct 22
"and the only things available to "cut" the salt are the sauce, bacon"

That's what I'm looking for, bacon as a salty taste reducer, haha

2010 Oct 22
Peter, yeah, it's a bit like those very rich desserts, in which the whipped cream is added to make them less rich! :-)

The Friendly's concoction -- while somewhat horrific -- scores well below many a restaurant meal in terms of calories, fat, and salt. The fact is, large-portion restaurant meals are generally more caloric than fast food. The only reason fast food is such a health problem is that the price is low enough for people to eat it too often.

A typical meal at McDonald's, KFC, Burger King, etc might have 1200 calories. Large-portion chain restaurants can push you into the 2000-3000 calorie zone. Shoeless Joe's used to have their nutritional info on their website, and I distinctly remember seeing appetizers at 2000 calories and mains pushing 3000. There's no reason to think other restaurants are any different. I looked at Kelsey's nutritional info (at least they publish it!) and a relatively sensible "Lunch Board" Lemon Pepper Shrimp Penne contains calories, fat, and sodium pretty much in line with the KFC Double Down sandwich.

I use the term "chain restaurant waddle" to refer to the slightly painful, rolling walk of patrons leaving a large-portion establishment. I'm not on the outside looking in here -- I've done it myself many times. :O

2010 Oct 23
... I did notice the "chain restaurant waddle".

I also recognize the fast food "Grease Cough". Usually heard when some one finishes there meal and to clear the coating of grease lodged in the throat, the body does a little cough.

I not only heard others do this ... but I too have been afflicted with such a cough.

2010 Oct 23
Thank you EASTCOAST for posting that Burger Pizza. I heard it on the radio and was fascinated and disgusted at the same time. Like watching HOARDERS.

That THING doesn't look too bad, but I assume the one you get is a sloppy mess. Just wondering if anyone has actually tried the pizza burger.

2010 Oct 24
ugh grease cough... my boyfriend and i call it fast food lung. so disgusting

2010 Oct 25
Don't forget the meat sweats, guys. That's another important identifying factor for someone who's just had a little bit too much food.

2010 Oct 29
What does it taste like?

2010 Nov 2
1 egg yolk packs more cholesterol than a double down:

www.montrealgazette.com

2010 Nov 2
Haha... even the nutritionists are taking advantage of the Double Down buzz! :-)

In other news:

* WHOLE GRAIN BREAD has more sugar than PORK RINDS
* WALNUTS have more fat than COTTON CANDY
* SARDINES have more sodium than DOUGHNUTS
* EGGS have more cholesterol than FRIED CHICKEN

;-)

All joking aside, I would expect that the optimal intake of egg lies somewhere between the two extreme viewpoints mentioned in that article. Everything in moderation, including moderation!

2010 Nov 3
Actually this sort of thing makes me sad. Sad to think we are two steps away from being a nation of fat "wanna be" americans. Whilst traveling down to Atlanta on business I noticed a billboard, words that should never go together.

KFC All-You-Can-Eat-Buffet,

.... sigh, it's like the war on drugs, there is clearly a demand so why fight? everyone knows drugs are bad...

Enjoy your chicken!

2010 Nov 3
Sort of related in the fast food world, SF bans the Happy Meal: blogs.sfweekly.com

2010 Nov 3
The friendly's sandwiich I think they need to add some fries in the sandwcich too, and also a fried chicken patty.
their sandwich still looks too small ;)

But joking aside I don't really like KFC that much.
I did try the KFC veggie "burger". it reminded me of those chicken patties school cafeterias use for the chicken burger sandwich-but the kfc one is tofu or something.

2011 May 27
They're bringing the double-down back to Canada this week. They've lowered the sodium, which addresses my only real complaint about it!

Predictably, the media are adding their own tabloid-style hyperbole to the story:
CTV - "chest clutching"
Vancouver SUN - "heart clogger"
Globe and Mail - "heart stoppingly popular"

Buffoons. Nutritionally, it's a Big Mac, but with fewer carbs.

2011 May 27
Thanks for the update. I think I might try it. Something about KFC makes my mouth water. This being said, I can't remember the last time I had KFC.

Good to see they lowered the sodium which was about 40% higher than the Big Mac. About 10% more fat, but I wonder how much is trans fat or saturated fat as compared to the Big Mac. Maybe the same, who knows. Anyway, lots less carbs, more protein, which is good.

2011 May 28
I love the occasional KFC binge, but wish they would do extra crispy in this country; They do extra crispy/spicy, but not the regular extra crispy, and I have been disappointed in the sogginess of the skin at the Merivale Rd location the last few times I have been there. Bring on Popeye's!

2011 May 30
I remember this. First week it came out, me and my freind tried it, and then experienced the five stages of death afterwards. We really could taste the salt-difference.

2011 Jun 14
Once again, I put aside my morals, rolled up my sleeves, and took one for the OttawaFoodies team! I prepared with a good hard run this morning (runkeeper.com), followed by my body cleansing giant smoothie (1/2 cup red grapes, 1 banana, 1 cup frozen black/blue/raspberries, 1/2 cup baby carrots, 1 cup water, 1 scoop whey powder).

So lunchtime found me venturing into the KFC at Hazeldean and Castlefrank, surrounded by throngs of tween boys with Bieber hair. I ordered my Double Down ($6.99 sans combo) and had to wait 5 minutes while they cooked it. Once again, I was somewhat taken aback by the generous size of this sandwich. The price seems high until you realize you're actually getting two giant chicken breast burger patties with cheese and bacon in the middle. This thing has real heft in your hand!

I still found it too salty, even with the alleged sodium reduction. The sauce isn't wonderful. The bacon was nice and the chicken was crispy and not greasy.

I give it 3 public access defibrillators out of 5! ;-)

2011 Jul 2
Sad to hear it's still too salty. That was my issue with it the last time it came around. I just couldn't deal with it. I recall an initial reaction of WHO THE HELL CAN EAT THIS THING.. followed by a urge to return it. Well Mark thanks for taking one for the team lol... I'm still morbidly curious.. I don't know why. I think it's the bacon. :) It's always the bacon.

2011 Jul 3
Isn't everything from KFC too salty? And I checked out on several recipe websites "copycat" KFC recipes--most seem to agree that the most important "secret" ingredient is MSG-mono"sodium"glutamate-a very high salt, addictive additive. Wish I could say no to this stuff forever but I will have a sampling every now and then--year or two? The smell alone induces foodie memories from the past...