Romantic Picnic [General]

2009 Apr 17
Hi Everyone,

I just acquired a picnic basket with all the bits and pieces... and I am anxious to use it the minute the weather is perfect. Said basket includes: plates, bowls, cups, cutlery, napkins, wine glasses, corkscrew, cutting board, knife, wine chiller and several containers for food items.

So I am looking for some ideas...

What things are great to serve at a "romantic" picnic. I have had family picnics before, so I know how to make the old stand-bys like homemade Potatoe Salad, Macaroni Salad, etc. But I'm looking to kick this up a notch as it'll just be for two.

Looking for suggestions on what might be good to include (menu) and where I might find some higher end ingredients / items to put in said lunch. I'm in the west-end so I'd prefer to source items from this end of town... I'm open to prepared items (salads, seafood dishes, fried chicken, international dishes, dessert) whatever strikes your fancy... and that you can recommend on the fact that you've ate them (don't want any mishaps).

I'm also looking for a nice spot for this romantic picnic... bearing in mind that the weather say later on this month, or early next, will still be chilly (might not want to sit on the ground per se). Anyone know of any spots with picnic type tables (or even a bench) or somewhere else to spread out the feast, a place that is somewhat private and has a great view?

And for all you "beverage" lovers out there, I'm also looking for suggested libations... knowing that (a) as it is a public spot we'll have to be descreet, (b) can't drink too much... we'll either have to bike or drive home, (c) suggested pairings would be fun (do you have a current favourite?). I'm also open to non-alcoholic beverages as well... know any great picnic accompaniments?

Thanks

2009 Apr 17
Food&Think Here are a few suggestions to get the ball rolling:

Menu items could include:
-a nice chilled soup like gazapacho or cold cucumber soup
-salads like couscous salad, tabouli, chickpea salad, broccoli salad since they travel well or possibly spring mix but pack the dressing in a separate container and add at serving time
-dips like hummus with fresh pita
-antipasto plate with marinated artichoke hearts, olives, etc.
-a nice loaf of French bread
-if you would like to take any meats salamis and pepperettes might be nice if you are thinking of a light lunch or a nice steak or burgers or sausages if you have access to ice packs and a cooler

As for shopping spots the only place I can think of in the west end is the Butchery although I'm sure the westenders on this site can think of tons of other places. Depending on when you will be picnicking you could always pick up ingredients at the Carp Farmers market once it opens.

Locations:
-Britannia has picnic tables and bbq pits but it is a very popular spot with families on the weekend so it could get busy
-Vincent Massey Park also has picnic tables and bbq pits. The picnic tables are spread out enough you might have a little more privacy.

Just a note about Andrew Haydon Park - there are no picnic tables there as I can recall so it would involve sitting on the grass. There are also lots of seagulls there and - ummmm - lots of droppings. It might not be such a good picnic spot.

Beverages
-San Pellegrino with a slice of lemon
-cranberry cocktail either straght up or mixed with one part cranberry cocktail and one part sparkling mineral water
-lemonade

Good luck with it and I'm sure other ottawafoodies will have lots of great menu ideas!

2009 Apr 17
we picnic at dow's lake arboretum (we live a block away). it is easy to get to on the bike paths and there are lots of hidden spots to layout a blanket, or you can sit on a bench facing the water. no picnic tables though, unless you go up to the locks. there are public washrooms in one of the buildings (i think it is the friend's of the farm building) and at the locks in the lockmaster's house - though they may not be open until may.

there is also the wildlife garden (same side as arboretum), or the ornamental gardens - across the street by the experimental farm. on the road infront of the ornamental gardens is a chip truck.

our basket always includes a loaf of delicious bread, lots of cheese from the deli, salami or similar for my husband, deli salads, olives, fruit and dessert. and always a bottle of wine and a bottle of sparkling water.

we usually take our bocce set, blankets, napkins, etc. we leave no mess behind either!

a great book with walking tours and info on the trees in the park:
www.friendsofthefarm.ca
For the Love of Trees: A Guide to the Trees of Ottawa's Central Experimental Farm Arboretum by Richard Hinchcliff and Roman Popadiouk, with illustrations by Karen (Gier) Cameron.

The book is an illustrated tribute to the heritage collection of trees at the Arboretum. This beautiful book contains over 580 colour photographs and 75 drawings of 92 tree species.

Profiles of the trees include their shape, leaves, flowers, bark and fruit as well as their location and historical commentary by former curators.

A series of walks through this picturesque green space is provided, with colour-coded maps at the back of the book. A pleasure to read and an excellent learning tool, For the Love of Trees heightens our awareness of the beauty of this national historic site and in so doing honours trees everywhere.

2009 Apr 17
Oh, oh--a Brie or Camembert, very ripe and soft/oozy like it is meant to be, a rich blue (I adore Bleu D'Auvergne but it can be hard to come by), a goat cheese spread with lots of fresh basil and sun-dried tomatoes chopped into it, a perfect baguette, and a nice glass of wine. I prefer reds but think that this occasion may call for a chilled white. I think I would go for butter tarts or butter tart squares for the sweet thereafter...

2009 Apr 17
Hey F&T:

"I'm also looking for a nice spot for this romantic picnic..."

On the grassy knoll, up near Champlain Statue, up the hill from the National Art Gallery.

I use to take all my 'chicks' up there for a little wooing.

The picture is the view from the Champlain Statue.

2009 Apr 18
Last time I did a picnic lunch, I did a few types of baguette sandwiches and then cut them into thirds so that we could mix and match. Pan Bagnat is my favorite-tuna, boiled egg, black olives, tomatoes and vinaigrette. Nice ham with unsalted butter and brie cheese is good. Pear, ham and cambozola cheese.
Grilled vegetables with goat cheese....

I brought a tub of mixed olives, some cornichons, fresh strawberries, some DAB and Wersteiner beer and sparkling water.

Orangina or Italian sodas are nice non alcoholic alternatives.

I think a trip to Nicastro's on Merivale would probably give you a good selection of things for a picnic.

2009 Apr 18
To clear up any possible conflict of interest, I have connections with the Nicastro's on Preston. Regardless, even though they are a smaller store, I find their prices very reasonable and their selection of cheese to be decent.

In addition to a nice baguette, plus cheese, I would also suggest tomatoes. There is something about thick sliced tomatoes on bread with some cheese that is simply delicious. I believe it is because the slight acid of the tomato cuts through the richness of the cheese. My suggestion for wine would be a Masi Volpolicello which is available at your local LCBO for 17.95. It is a wine that can be paired well with cheese, and also with dessert. It is fruity with bold flavours. If not, a selection of Italian sodas and sparkling water is also a good idea.

Baguette: Available at your favourite bakery.

Cheeses: Available at Nicastro's on Preston St. If you are unfamiliar with any of these cheeses, feel free to ask for a sample.

Prima Donna -- a cheese from Holland that is not very well known, but is deliciously creamy, with a hint of nuts and fruit (I introduced my in-laws to this cheese at a Christmas party and everyone there fell in love with it)

Manchego -- a cheese from Spain. This cheese is about as strong as a mild parmesan but has a different flavour profile,one of my favourite cheeses

Aged Provolone -- a great cheese to pair with wine, it is, as the name suggests, an aged provolone. It is firmer and sharper than the regular provolone.

Applewood smoked cheddar -- simply delicious... an aged white cheddar that has been flavoured with applewood

If you like Blue cheeses:

Tallegio -- a very hard to find imported Italian blue cheese that is about as strong as a Stilton, but velvetier.

Cambazola -- this is a combination of Camembert and Gorgonzola cheeses, which in my opinion has taken the best characteristics of each

Hope you have fun!

Cheers.

2009 Apr 18
Snoopy - Taleggio can almost always be found at Nicastro's on Wellington.

2009 Jun 3
Alright, I'm bringing back this thread, because like F&T, I came into posession of a picnic cooler, and this Friday looks like prime picnic time at Westboro Beach (and because my fiance and I haven't had a single night to just ourselves in a really long time. It's almost like we're married!)

Anyway, what I'm looking for is a bit different than what F&T was needing. We need a good sized dinner, omnivore-friendly. Something that is cold-friendly (or will taste okay lukewarm--we're a ten minute walk to the beach), some good side options. A lot of the recipes I've found on epicurious were geared towards cookouts, or full-on cold meals (the boy hates cold dinners, ie. it's rare that we just eat salad)...

thoughts, anyone?

2009 Jun 3
pre-BBQ'd chicken (Yre's) or tofu (oh wait... you don't like my tofu... lol)
or roti's (Island jerk?)
roasted vegetable salad with fave dressing
tabouli for you
crusty bread for both
bottle of mysterio malbec
candles in hurricane lamps (might be alittle windy)
devine brown or melanie fiona on the boombox

2009 Jun 3
Hmm... I'd almost be tempted to bring a burner if you wanted a full blown meal, DaButcher has got me thinking of buying some charcoal to get a taco-park-party going some weekend. Since you only live 10 minutes away (like I used to), you could always just pack some warmed up food in a separate insulated carrier and bring it down to the beach. I transported a warmed veggie curry & rice with naan & some wine down to the river with my GF (at the time) once upon a time - made for a nice evening! Otherwise, cured meats, baguette, cheese & fixings for sandwiches packed with a pasta salad or something? You could also bring cold fried chicken down? Tonight I made grilled pork tenderloin marinated in a cuban style mojo sauce with coleslaw & black bean salad - all of which would have transported very easily for a picnic.

EDIT: you could also do a lebanese style picnic where you assemble your own falafel sammies & get a fattoush salad & some hummous & pita & dolmas & other mezze.

2009 Jun 3
A roast chicken from the Piggy Market would be great. We found that it tasted better cold the next day even. A block of cheese and an Art-is-in or True Loaf baguette and you're all set. A thermos of wine too.

2009 Jun 4
One of my favourite picnic-style foods is Pan Bagnat. Even though it doesn't have any meat, I still consider it omnivore-friendly. There's just something about a big-honkin' sandwich full of roasted vegetables that really appeals to me. It sits out all night soaking in its own juices and is absolutely heavenly when eaten out of doors.

Either that or, as Inkling and Chimi have already said, you could go for a bunch of cheeses, cured meat, and baguette. The cheese is supposed to be eaten warm anyway, right? You can keep the meat in the same place as your wine so that it says cooler.

Taco-park-party = HELL YES. Once you've dumped all of the charcoal out of the bag you can use it to hide your booze, too!

2009 Jun 4
A nice romantic evening can be had by having a picnic in a park wher A Company Of Fools is presenting a production ( www.fools.ca/ ) It can be an absolutely fun night (unless of course you HATE Shakespeare)

2009 Jun 4
Hmmm, they appear to be doing Romeo and Juliet this year. Pete, you're not playing Capulet per chance? Heh heh heh.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks :)

2009 Jun 4
Actually, I just got an email from um.. a Foolish representative? He says they are doing Much Ado About Nothing, and shows start July 3 to August 10. Their website should be updated soon to show the proper schedule. Hmm.. I always thought of myself as a Puck...

2009 Jun 4
If you're talking about mid-summer night's dream, then yes.

2009 Jun 5
My boyfriend took me on a very lovely romantic picnic just last week - we opted for a nice selection of cheeses, cured meats and bread. It was perfect for a romatic time since it wasn't too messy and since it was finger foods we could stretch out and relax without worrying about balancing plates and cutlery and what-not. Add some wine and you're set.

2009 Jun 5
Most romantic picnic I ever took my wife on was when we hiked to the tip of Cape Split and had a picnic in the big grassy field right at the end

2009 Jun 6
Zy- It must be quite romantic, one of my best friends proposed at that location, after a picnic of course.