New York [General]

2009 Apr 2
Heading to New York for a weekend in May. Any food "must haves" while there?

2009 Apr 20
depending on when you are there, the union square greenmarket is amazing.

www.cenyc.org/greenmarket
Union Square Greenmarket
Time of operation: Mon., Wed., Fri., Sat. 8 Am to 6 PM
Season: Year Round

wheelhouse pickles sells great hot pickled okra, amoung other things.
wheelhousepickles.com/

also near there is trader joes and a whole foods.

on one of the side streets near the union square market is a fantastic falafel shop called rainbow, it is counter service only and the falafel is huge and messy. have heard mixed things about the other offerings, so stick to the falafel.

Rainbow Falafel & Shawarma is the classic, ungentrified Union Square falafel joint. It's just a storefront with no seating, but the family-run operation turns out an ultra-crisp, ultra-dark falafel, made according to the printed menu of chickpeas, parsley, fresh garlic, onions, and spices.

26 East 17th Street, New York, NY 10003 (b/n Fifth Avenue and Broadway; map); 212-691-8641; Cost: $3.50 for a falafel sandwich;

2009 Oct 16
Probably the best meal of my life at:

The Modern. Located in the MoMa.

www.themodernnyc.com/

Their Chef Gabriel Kreuther recently won the James Beard Foundation Award as the best Chef in NYC!!!! Quite an honour.

Unfortunatey, the price goes along with the rating. And I would study the wine list before you go, pretty extensive. The Chef's Tasting Menu with wine pairing and the optional cheese plate runs $260 pp. Although, with the performance of the dollar, eating there is getting cheaper every day, we are getting close to par!

I also recommend using www.opentable.com for reservations anywhere in NYC.