Cure your own stuff [Cooking]

2008 Sep 7
I picked up the book CHARCUTERIE by Micheal Ruhlman and Brian Poleyn that absoulty kicks a#@! Im slowly working my way through all the recipes and having alot of fun with it. The picture I posted is of the Prosciutto's I started a month and a bit ago. Im hanging them tomorow in a nice spot for year! Ive also been succesfull at making my own "mushroom bacon", I cured my heritage pork (that I get from Upper Canada Heritage Meat based out of prescott) with porcini mushroom powder, fresh sage and maple sugar, this is the best bacon ever! Ive also made, black pepper bacon, regular smoke bacon, euro style unsmoked bacon, smoke hocks, tasso hams, lardos, smoked duck breast, of course salmon gravlax, smoke salmon, trout, sablefish (cold and hot smoked), salmon candy, mexican chorizo, pate, terrines and smoked cherries to name a few. I can really go on and on! Its fun and well worth the effort. If you have the space.... Im lucky enough to have my own 1200 square foot kitchen:)
If any of you are interested buy this book, it is the best that there is out there!! www.amazon.ca

2011 Feb 27
I cut my prociutto early.. about 5 months. Couldn't resist :( Next year will make two. It tastes and looks pretty good so far. Need to get deeper into it to get more fat + less salty. Will cover in some more lard and re-hang.

Zym - Glad things are working out for you. Your job sounds like a lot of education + fun. I'm looking for a nice cut for some pulled pork to make next weekend on the smoker - should I call in an order or will they have stock ready to go?