Truly amazing Indian food? [General]

2010 Jun 16
Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for truly amazing Indian food in Ottawa. Any suggestions? I used to go to Taj Mahal and New Nupur, both of which are quite good, but after eating at Gandhi's in Montreal twice, I am positively spoiled.

Help save the planet and make a recommendation? Otherwise it may just be driving off to Montreal again in the next couple weeks for a trip to Gandhi's.

Thanks!

2010 Jun 16
I am a huge fan of Rangoli Indian Cuisine in Orleans. Definitively worth the drive...

2010 Jun 16
Coconut Lagoon for delicious southern Indian food from the Kerala region.

2010 Jun 16
Hands down, and I've tried most in Ottawa, Taj Indian Cuisine www.tajindiancuisine.com/

FWIW

2010 Jun 16
Little India Cafe

Ceylonta

The latter is of course Sri Lankan if you want to quibble.

I was never a big fan of Taj listed above - especially with Little India just around the corner. Of course I have not been there in likely 8 or 9 years so maybe I ought to go back sometime.

2010 Jun 16
I always find "Light of India" in The Glebe has authentic tasting Indian food. Having never been to India to sample the food, I'm comparing this with Indian recipes in the UK. Our staple dish in the UK is curry of course.

2010 Jun 16
There is a new Indian restaurant in Old Ottawa South at the corner of Riverdale and Bank, just north of Billings Bridge (the bridge, not the mall), that opened about a month ago.

Has anyone gone there? Is it any good?

Sorry, I can't remember the name. It's where the vegetarian Thai place was, and before that it was "Mitzi's" Chinese for years and years....Just north of Paradis' kitchen store.

2010 Jun 16
I think the place you're refering to is called Namaste. Haven't been in. I've just passed by.

2010 Jun 16
Yes, thanks. That's the name. Namaste. I'd like to hear anyone's take on it after they have visited.

2010 Jun 16
is there a cuisine that evokes a greater range of personal preferences? I think its safer to rule out the crappy resties than recommend "good" ones.

Recognizing the dangers and not knowing Vorpal's likes, i'll add nods in favor of Coconut Lagoon and Ceylonta due to a pref. for s. Indian and Sri Lankan styles. Will also cite the manager/owner's personality at Ceylonta (Carling locale) as an influence in return visits. Plus the kick-ass Sri Lankan beer (Singha, i think?) they serve.

a small sniff to hear the vegetarian Thai place closed.

2010 Jun 16
Awesome... thanks so far, everyone!

I should have mentioned that I've eaten at Ceylonta loads of times. I went to the new Carling location (well, new to me, at least) and loved it. Got takeout from the old Somerset location and was quite disappointed: the restaurant looked like it had really endured some wear-and-tear over the years, and the food wasn't nearly as good as their Carling restaurant. Sad, because I had my post-wedding dinner (small affair) at Ceylonta and thus my loved ones and I have really fond memories of the Somerset spot.

I've driven by Coconut Lagoon a hundred times, as it's really close to me, but it never occurred to me to check it out! I'll fix that pronto.

I used to live in Orleans, and I hear that people love Rangoli. I ate there years and years back a few times, but ended up getting violent, violent food poisoning about eight hours after eating there on my last visit. Whether or not it was Rangoli I can never know (I was the only one who got sick, but I was the only one who ate their chutney, too), but spending hours revisiting their food turned me off of it completely, unfortunately :(. I remember their naan being wonderful, too. I can't pass by that place without feeling a twinge of unhappy in my stomach.

The other suggestions are all new to me, and I can't wait to hit them up. Thanks again, everyone! If you have any more, please keep them coming!

2010 Jun 17
Heh. I think Orleans is divided into Pearl people and Rangoli people. I'm a Pearl person myself. Yeah, Rangoli's naan is alright (though some Orleanians rave about it), but I like Pearl's better. Also, the Pearl has my favourite: Lamb Pasanda. Only two places I've found that do Pasanda, India Palace on Albert being the other. India Palace seems to get mixed reviews, but I've enjoyed their takeout (the owner was surprised when we ordered, 90% of his business is buffet, but the dishes tasted fine to me).

2010 Jun 17
I am a really big fan of Mukut on rideau. Fantastic Channa Masala

2010 Jun 17
Another vote for Taj in the west end.

2010 Jun 17
Good post! I have yet to find Indian food in Ottawa that rivals Toronto, but my favourite here would probably be Bombay Masala all the way out in Kanata (worth the drive).

2010 Jun 17

I would second the recommendation for Little India Cafe (it's at the other end of the city from me now, so I've only been there once in the past two years, but it was consistently wonderful when I used to eat there regularly).

Closer to Orleans, I would recommend Host India on Montreal Road, though probably not for their buffet (it's ok, but not overwhelming selection).

Carling and Churchill there is a little one called Aahar, it was quite good when I tried it for all-vegetarian meal (out to dinner with a vegetarian friend) a few months ago. Haven't had a chance to confirm this with a 2nd try yet.

I personally would avoid the Taj. I gave up on them years ago (before trying Little India Cafe) because of two different rude service experiences. The first time was potentially excusable - I was trying to get take-out alone to eat before a movie, and was mostly just ignored - actually not just ignored but made to feel that I was being offensive by daring to enter the restaurant by myself, because that clearly wouldn't bring them enough business.

The second was more egregious - went for dinner with two friends there several months after the first incident (which I was willing to chalk up to my having broken some restaurant etiquette by ordering takeout in person rather than in advance). The owner was there, and he was extremely friendly talking to us - too friendly. He kept trying to upsell us into ordering more food, he upgraded our plain rice to a biryani dish, and he brought stuff like raita - which we hadn't ordered - to the table for us, and waved away our pointing out the unordered items with comments like "don't worry - it's ok". All these unordered "extras - for good customers" appeared on the bill at the end of the meal, and when we tried to get them taken off, the bill got scribbled over in what seemed to us like an excellent attempt to confuse us into pay more than we owed - to the point that we actually used a menu to confirm what we were being charged, and swore that we would never go back there again.

2010 Jun 17
For South Indian: Coconut Lagoon

For North Indian: East India Restaurant

And I'm from Brampton (AKA India's home away from home).

I think that these places offer a good selection of each regions cuisine. I LIke coconut Lagoon because of its quaint atmosphere and their layred paranthas are to die for!!

I like East India because there is such a husge selection on their buffet, it all tastes amazing, and I like the service.

2010 Jun 18
I also lean towards Coconut Lagoon. In addition to great South Indian fare, they have a small but well-chosen wine list.

The thalis are a great bargain there--huge amounts of food for about 15 to 18 bucks I think.

Service is always very warm and pleasant.

Down-sides:

1) Dining room is pleasant but still gives off a "finished basement" vibe.

2) Service is "leisurely"--not a downside if you are prepared to relax.

3) The food always seems to arrive lukewarm for some reason, particularly on the thali.

I have also had some nice meals at Little India Cafe in the West End--they have great dosas on the weekends.

2010 Jul 26
I just ate at Namaste tonight. I think the menu is the same as the Light of India but the food tasted better than what I remember from eating at L of I this spring. The flavours at Namaste were really fresh; for example, in the Aloo Gobi the peas were perfect and you could taste the fresh ginger.

2010 Oct 4
Hands down the Coconut Lagoon has the most authentic regional flavors of South Indian cuisine (i've had several extended visits in S. India). Although the South is predominantly vegetarian. I haven't seen Idli or Vada anywhere else.

The Little India cafe is also quite authentic. The Paneer Tikka (done in the Tandoor) and the Lamb Korma are completely unique, a must try.

The other Indian restaurants i've eaten in, (while perfectly adequate), don't have that authentic edge. They feel too western.

2010 Oct 6
I will have to say Indian Byryani House at Bank and Heron (I think), that is not so great.
I was told the food was pretty good by a friend and thought ok I live near there so....

Got some samosas and some pakoras to go.
Samosas were swimming in oil.
and when I got home Ihad to drain the samosas on paper towels a bunch of times (not very appealong for a snack....).

Next time I went there I got another dish and asked about the samosas- they do not make their own samosas and they just cook them there.
These has to be the most greassy samosas I ever ate.

For restaurants I used to like the Haveli buffet,but have not gone this year at all.
I don't seem to tolerate too much spicing in my food and don't seem to feel to well after eating so many spices.

I really like the Naan sandwich from Basmati on somerset...but that is more "fake" Indian food as I'm sure most restaurants do not have Indian sandwiches and "pizza'.
Basmati also has a vegetarian sandwich with pakoras or vegetable patties in in that is quite good.

Has anyone been to Basmato or ordered from there?
I always see they do a lot of delivery business and take out..but have not ventured from the sandwiches or pizzas there..or samosas.

sometimes Basmati has interesting desserts and used to make "dessert samosas".
they were like a samosa shaped pastry with dried fruits and nuts inside sprinkled w sugar.
have not bought any desserts there in ages,so not sure what they make now.

2010 Oct 6
Seconding Prettytasty on Indian Biryani House at Bank and Heron. Ordered a biryani -- what else? -- and it was a bland, greasy mess.

2010 Oct 6
I dined at Taj a few weeks ago and I can't say that it's worth driving across the city for. If I lived nearby, sure... but I didn't leave feeling like I had to go back. Service was lacking (totally mixed up our paneer order and the cheese was soggy) and I found that the dishes were missing the depth of flavours that I come to expect from northern Indian food. Our friends swear by the Lamb Korma, but we'd just had lamb earlier in the week so we defaulted to butter chicken. It was also the first time I've ever been asked whether I want my butter chicken mild, medium or hot.

Light of India is decent and I've heard wonderful things about Coconut Lagoon. If I want amazing Northern Indian, I drive to Host India for a la carte dinner. I've professed my love for them many a time on here. :)

2010 Oct 7
Does anyone still go to Haveli?
They have a lunch buffet for around $10 weekdays and a sunday brunch buffet for around $20.

It seems to be more vegetable dishes than meats most times I've gone.
I really like their rice pudding. (not that it is hard to make yourself,lol).

2010 Oct 8
Anne Desbrisbay just posted a review on Little India Cafe in Brittannia. It has been around for years and originally served only southern India style food--now mostly northern except brunches and a few items. Check out the Ottawa Citizen review from this week. It is a crowded spot but consistent and delicious!

2011 Feb 1
Host India for me(near Montreal road/St.Laurent intersection)

Best tandoori and butter chicken ive had.

2011 Feb 1
Some of my faves:
- Mukut (tried and true)
- Indian Biryani House
- Ceylonta

I also like but have only been once:
- the one across Coliseum Theatres on Carling
- Coconut Lagoon

2011 Feb 2
I love eating at Basmati. They have some innovated dishes that combine indian foods into different presentations. Love the wrap and the pizza. They also have regular indian dishes and make their own naan. What makes this place extra special for me is that they will alter a dish for you.... they will make my butter chicken spicy for me.... love the sweetness with the hotness. The staff and owner are very friendly and their prices are very reasonable.

Eat in at lunch and try their thalli plates which are small helpings of various dishes with naan.

They also have a frequent buyer card... for each main dish order or combo dinner you get a stamp. For example, an order (full order for sharing) of curry, tandoori chicken and spinach and cheese dishes... you get 3 stamps... or order a butter chicken with rice and salad combo meal would be 1 stamp. Once the card is filled you get one dish or combo meal free.

I've already redeemed several of these cards.

2011 Feb 2
Of all these Indian restaurants, does anyone know of any that serve a type of Kashmiri Naan with cherries baked inside? I had some at an Indian restaurant in Chicago that was delicious, but have never seen it anywhere else.

2011 Feb 3
no but now i really want to!

Ceylonta (both) is sri lankan, not Indian altho they have many similar dishes and imnsho it's actually tastier than most Indian places.

Little India Cafe is fantastic, but no rez = no sit most of the time.

2011 Feb 3
Ceylonta on Somerset is closed for renovations... sigh. I really enjoyed their Sunday brunch since they also served dosa with your buffet.

2011 Feb 3
Yes, I was supposed to go to Ceylonta on Saturday, but they are now not re-opening till Monday.

2011 Feb 4
blubarry,

Rangoli in Orleans does Kabuli Naan, described thusly:

Leavened bread stuffed with nuts, raisins, cherry, cardamons

2011 Feb 4
thanks Brian. As luck would have it Koopon has a deal for Rangoli today. $30 worth of food for $15. I am going to use it to check the place out.
deal is here:
koopon.ca

2011 Feb 4
Zuni Grill, on Greenbank near Hunt Club is a hidden gem in this city. So delicious and so affordable.

2011 Feb 4
I've never had Kashmiri or Kabuli naan - I'm glad you asked blubarry. I wonder what dishes might be good with these naan; maybe you could ask when at Rangoli.
There are recipes for both online and they both can have cherries - who knew?

2011 Feb 5
Basmati has awesome wrap sandwiches.
The chicken naan wrap is really good.
I don't think I can get a wrap at those "indian" chain in the mall that has the premade wrap- the fresh made naan at Basmati makes the sandwich 100x better.
The quality of the chicken is also good there.
The vegetarian wrap is also good- they seem to use pakoras or some kind of vegetable patty in it.

the pizza at Basmati is also really good,but the last 2 times I was there they kind of messed up my pizza.
It was supposed to have spinach on it and instead the lady that was there she put tomato,green pepper and onion and maybe mushroom?
Was more like a combination Indian pizza.
Still tasted good,but not as good as with the spinach and red onion that was on it normally.
The sauce was also too sweet.
Still their pizza is really good and I will get it again!

I also tried their Indian poutine and it was supposed to have Paneer cheese on it and I was told they were no longer putting that on the poutine because "people were complaining that it would not melt"
-even though their menu still says it is on the dish.
They also use frozen fries it seems.
The poutine also had shedded cheese and not curds like most places.
It was an ok dish, doubt I'll get that often. Still worth trying though.

2011 Feb 6
Their gravy has a nice spicy kick to it... though I haven't had one of their poutines in a while.

They use tandoori chicken in their wraps and it is usually chicken breast meat. I really enjoy their wraps since they almost always make the naan for the wrap after you placed your order... no prepackaged breads.

2011 Feb 6
Junster,
you are right- the gravy at Basmati is good.
Maybe I will just buy the gravy to use on my homemade oven baked fries.
I'm sure I would enjoy that and it would be "healthier" than fried potatoes.

but maybe when eating poutine you should not worry too much bout calories?

2011 Feb 10
I have found Indian curry spice mixes at the Produce Depot at Carling and Maitland put out by a UK firm called Curry Tree.

www.currytree.co.uk/

We have been very pleased with them.

They are packed with flavour. No MSG. No preservatives. Gluten-free. No artificial colours. No hydrogenated vegetable fats.

I have tried Butter Chicken, Rogan Josh and Chicken Tikka Masala.

Chicken Tikka Masala is my favourite.

Although the package says they are mild in flavour, they do have a nice spice to them. More than what I would consider 'mild' and I am okay with that!

They are very quick to make and I have used boneless, skinless chicken thighs every time. Of course we have been serving them with rice, usually basmati.

They freeze very well. And it has been very handy having individual servings tucked in the freezer for a quick solution to a healthy dinner when the day just seems to go out of control.

Has anyone else tried these?

2011 Feb 10
Basmati? really?

That place is not rated that well when you look at other review sites and that's not shocking. I would never go to a place that serves indian pizza, poutine, and wrap's.

2011 Feb 10
I've never tried those pastes. I've been making my own pastes lately using Jamie Oliver recipes. Vij's indian cookbooks were a bit above me the last time I tried his recipes.

As for Ceylonta on Somerset being closed, there was a flood in the ground level of the building in January (possibly another one in early Jan, too, if I read their blog right). The Somerset Community Police Centre closed up shop while they look for another location.

2011 Feb 10
I'm not too sure of the other Indian foods at Basmati.
Also, I know that their Naan wrap is not "authentic", but still the quality of the chicken is good-they use real chicken breast.
Vegetables are also very fresh.

I haven't been tempted to try any of their other dishes though.
They do not sound as tempting.
But if I had to get a sandwich while out I would rather go here than Subway if I am downtown.

Subway has that processed chicken meat I really hate.

For actual Indian food I have liked Haveli so far and Light of India? in the Glebe.

Basmati also used to have a good rice pudding,until they made it 3x smaller lately.
You used to get a styrofoam container that held more than a cup,now it is very small portions in plastic containers.

And last time I was getting food at Basmati,I saw one of the cooks use bagged pre-cut potatoes.
not sure if they buy pre-cut or if they just do it themselves?

The Indian pizza at Basmati is also really good.
I think it is much better than regular pizza.
price is also decent considering how many toppings they add to it.
I've also frozen part of a pizza from Basmati and that was fine,reheated in the toaster oven at a later time.

2011 Feb 14
Ive never had muttar paneer. can anyone describe the taste?

2011 Feb 16
If I remember correctly, the primary spices are cardamom, cumin, chili, and cinnamon, as well as all sorts of other delicious things.

Since there's a good amount of tomato in the curry part, as well has a healthy application of ghee, it has quite a rounded-out taste.

I find that the peas end up not tasting much like peas, but the paneer tastes delicious because it soaks up a lot of the curry.