monty's BBQ (v3) - pork butt [Cooking]

2009 Nov 22
hey everyone.

if you recall i purchased a Bradley Smoker earlier in the summer and posted a review of the unit and also some of my experiences with smoking ribs - ottawafoodies.com

well i've certainly put the OBS to use since then, smoking all sorts of things like chicken, pork, beef, veggies, peanuts, and cheese. here's a short write-up on what i would call my smoker's rite of passage - smoking a pork butt.

2009 Nov 22
pork shoulder. boston butt. a BBQ mainstay.

this was a huge task, truly a rite of passage in BBQ'ing. smoking a pork butt low and slow typically takes 12-16 hours to get to the optimal internal temperature of ~200F.

this baby rang in at 4.31kg - approx ~9.5lbs

2009 Nov 22
if you're doing this try to get a bone-in pork shoulder. like when cooking many other meats, the bone imparts some flavour.

2009 Nov 22
you'll see this cut has been nicely trimmed. you don't want to cut off too much fat as the intention is to smoke with the fat cap side up, cooking low and slow to break down that fat which essentially melts into the meat and self-bastes.

2009 Nov 22
first thing's first - let the meat sit out and bring up the temperature. this helps cut down on smoking time.

i use a light mustard slather when rubbing butts (lol). i find it helps the rub stick better and lays the groundwork for a nice bark.

2009 Nov 22
lightly coat all sides of the shoulder. after cooking for 12+ hours it doesn't really leave any mustard flavour and like i said it acts as a binder only.

2009 Nov 22
rub. this is where you can get creative.

i used a basic dry rub with brown sugar/paprika. i cut down on the salt and probably added a little more paprika/brown sugar.

* 1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1/4 cup paprika
* 2 tablespoons black pepper
* 1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
* 1/2 tablespoon salt
* 1 tablespoon cayenne
* 2 teaspoons dry mustard

2009 Nov 22
at this stage there are some who like to wrap up the shoulder and let sit in the fridge overnight. doesn't make a huge difference, but it allows some time for the rub to "soak in".

pre-heat the smoker/grill to 250F so when the butt is loaded it brings the cabinet temperature down to around 225F, which is the optimal cooking temp for slow BBQ.

2009 Nov 22
i'd highly recommend anyone who has a smoker (Big Green Egg, Bradley, Traeger, etc) to pickup a Maverick ET-73. the Maverick is a programmable radio-frequency food thermometer designed for use in smokers. it's dual probe so it has a remote sensor/transmitter that monitors the temperatures of both the meat and the smoker, and transmits them up to 100 feet to a displaying receiver. it even has a programmable alarm (ie alert the user if the cabinet temperature drops below X degrees, or rises above X degrees) and a nifty belt clip if you're a huge bbq geek ;P

the Maverick allows you to avoid constantly monitoring your smoke. this is especially important for Bradley users since a lot of heat escapes from the cabinet when you open it up.

definitely a great tool.

2009 Nov 22
so here we are, 12 hours later...

i smoked with 4 hours of hickory, and continued to cook for an additional 8 hours or so until the internal temperature hit 195F. i don't mop my butts or foil them while cooking. by cooking fat cap side up the fat melts through and keeps the meat extremely moist.

Pete/zymurgist - no, it's not burnt you jackasses!

2009 Nov 22
i didn't take a photo of the next step but after pulling from the smoker wrap the butt in foil, wrap up in a towel, then place in an empty cooler for 30min-1hr. letting the meat rest like this brings the IT up a little more and also helps to keep the juices in. it will also help with the 'pulling' stage - the meat will practically fall apart.

make sure you use a relatively old towel unless you really like the smell of hickory in the morning ;)

2009 Nov 22
remove from the cooler/towel/foil and gently shred the pork with a fork or your hands. i like to chop up the bark and mix everything together, that way the smokey flavour is distributed evenly.

serve bare with some sides, or on a bun with some slaw + sauce. for the love of god just don't throw it in a pot full of bbq sauce! if you're using sauces avoid anything that has liquid smoke in it, there is enough smoke flavour in the meat already.

2009 Nov 22
hope you enjoyed.

cheers,

-monty

2009 Nov 22
Didn't like it at all... now my monitor has lick marks on it ;-)

2009 Nov 22
Monty - lookin' good!

2009 Nov 22
Well done Monty! The only step you missed was brining that bad-boy first :-)

2009 Nov 22
Great job Monty. It makes me want to bring the smoker up from the basement out of winter storage.

2009 Nov 22
Sweet monty, I approve!

2009 Nov 22
This looks AMAZING! It makes me long for summer, or do you do this all year round? Either way...if you ever need a guinea pig for tasting, I'm available : )

2009 Nov 23
are you coming onto me?

2009 Nov 23
Anything for a piece of... butt.

2009 Nov 23
i was talking to Pete

rofl

2009 Nov 23
Hey Monty try this sauce it's great on pork.
2 cups cider vinegar
3 tbs ketchup
2tbs brown sugar
4tsp coarse salt
1tbs tabasco
2tsp hot pepper flakes
2tsp black pepper

2009 Nov 23
Ken - sounds good. just whisk it together? or do you boil it down a little?

2009 Nov 23
Not you monty, just your pork ;-)

2009 Nov 24
Butt looks awesome - but I'm so confused. In your picture of the Maverick - it looks like the smoker in the background is round on top (I'm assuming its a smoker - it looks like a stack coming off the top). But I was sure the bradley only comes in a fridge shape. Is the photo off the net or am I mistaken? (its 3:30 am - quite possibly I've become delusional).

2009 Nov 24
Just whisk and your ready to go. you can make it hotter if you like.

2009 Nov 24
zymurgist: butts have quite a bit of fat, this thing came out incredibly juicy. i have heard of people brining first, but i don't feel it's needed. i think it also gives them a ham-like flavour after brining? not too keen on that. i have brined both pork chops and chicken given the leanness and tendency to dry out in the Bradley, it worked really well.

sourdough: haha it's just a stock photo from the internet. it's a great tool so i just wanted to highlight the usefulness.

Ken: thanks! i'll try it out

2009 Nov 24
God that looks so good.

How much does the ET-73 cost? I had a Lee Valley one that stopped working after, well, after I used it in the oven of all things, so right now I've just got a cheapie stick-in digital probe. Having a wireless one would satisfy so many needs at once.

2009 Nov 24
Monty - D@mn Right!

Another great BBQ "smokin" topic. My keyboard is all covered in drool (oh well it needed to be cleaned up anyways).

Loved everyone's comments... these topics are always fun... there were just toooo many opportunities this time round for double entendres.

As for Amusebouche's comment though, I'd skip the guinea pig... not enough meat on the bone!
;-)

2009 Nov 24
LMAO! I think guinea pig could be very tasty, especially if Monty threw it in his smoker ; ) Apparently someone has tried it...see photo for reference. Eeeps!

2009 Nov 24
Monty - smoking food is the best way to get great flavour !! I had to top Ms Amusebouche new food idea for your smoker. If you are not one of a week stomach - you would not believe what people will east around the world

www.uglyfood.com/

Happy smokin bud !! (BBQ that is !!)

JDK

2009 Nov 25
nice carving station there...yikes!

momo - can be had for around $40-$50 CAD on eBay. note they're not completely wireless. i did a poor job of explaining the full setup. the 2 probes (meat + ambient temperature) are wired to the transmitter. here's a better picture stolen from Google images. i use mine in the oven all the time it works great (i remove the ambient temp probe, just use the meat one). you can also buy replacement probes if one craps out on you. one design flaw - instead of putting the on/off switch on the side of the unit, they decided to bury it inside the battery compartment (wtf?!). aside from that, it's a great little product!

2009 Nov 25
I'll hold out until you report back this time next year on that thermometer monty. I've known a lot of brewers who have had a lot of variations on that sort of long-probe thermometer, and probably 75% of them have gone kaputt inside of 2 years. Mine (from Lee Valley IIRC) lasted not even one year. The steam gets them. Admittedly, brewing has more steam. But cooking has its share of it.

I've got a nice digital instant-read stem thermometer from Northern Brewer : www.northernbrewer.com

Had it for 3 or 4 years now and it is awesome. I can't leave it in and can't set it to notify me, but then again, I like being the one doing the cooking :-)

2009 Nov 25
somewhat different applications.

i need this type of thermometer to avoid having to open the Bradley's cabinet to check the IT. the OBS loses a lot of heat very quickly when you open the door, and the recovery time is brutal (particularly in cold weather). the ability to replace the probes is a huge seller. many units of this style don't have that so if it gets steamed, the entire thing is junk.

if we're talking stem thermometers - what about the Thermapen? too rich for my blood, but i've heard good things.

2009 Nov 26
Monty - I was just going to ask how the Bradley performs in colder weather... will it be ok to use in the winter? Do you have this thing sheltered from rain & snow?

2009 Nov 26
it works in cold weather, you just have to preheat it a little longer. it's essentially a little fridge so it's insulated very well. so as long as you don't keep opening the door during cooking/smoking time, it will hold fairly a constant temperature. it's electric so it does have to be sheltered. i keep it in my carport which is a perfect spot for it.

2009 Nov 27
The pulled pork looks great. I want some of that bark! How does the cold smoked cheese turn out in the Bradley?

The ET-73 gets a lot of good reviews. The dual wireless saves you from having to go outside to check on the on cooker and meat temperatures especially on overnight cooks or on cold days. I use the cheaper, wired thermometers made by Maverick that I’ve purchased at Canadian Tire. They don’t last that long as I’ve thrown out several where the probe has failed or the wire had been cut when I closed the smoker door.

I’d love to get a Thermapen- they’re accurate and waterproof but it’s hard to justify spending $120+. The biggest selling point for me is it takes 3 seconds for a reading. My current digital pen thermometer can take 9 seconds for a reading which I find unacceptable for an “instant read.”

2009 Nov 27
Monty have you tried cold smoking cheese yet? I did sone mozzarella at the start of summer it was pretty good. Made hickory salt as well that turned out great.

2009 Nov 30
looks nummy Monty!

2009 Dec 1
wow..looks amazing. I have a brisket at work sitting in the fridge might have to make this tomorrow morning!!

As for cold smoked cheese they work great i find, as long as you have a tray of ice in between the smoking chips and product. the ice should be replaced every hour or so...depending on how quickly it melts.

smoking your own paprika is always a great thing as well, instead of buying those crazy expensive little jars.

that pic is my next project...porchetta di testa

2009 Dec 5
thanks again for the kind words people. i was really happy how it turned out.

ed/Ken - smoked cheese rocks! in the Bradley you use the smoke generator only (no cabinet heat) and fill the bowl at the bottom with ice instead of water. works really well especially at this time of year. i like to age mine afterwards to let the flavour sink in, at least a week or two. thinking about picking up a vac sealer specifically for this purpose.

eastcoast.chef - hahaha WOW. how is it prepared? do you grind it up to form a loaf? or just roll and cook?

2009 Dec 6
EastCoasts> Don't forget to fold the ears through eyes and place the tongue back were it came from before you roll it! Vac pac and cook very slowly in a water bath or steam oven. After it cooks dont touch it till its sat in your frige for at least three days! Slice very thin and shave pecorino cheese and drizzle olive oil and freshly diced chili over top. Okay im hungry now!

2010 Jun 2
monty, I want to thank you for posting all your info, tips, and pics. I used your post as well as other stuff and recipes I have read over the years to finally make pulled pork, smoked (mesquite wood chips) on the bbq - it was a huge hit at our party on the weekend. Why did it take me sooo long to overcome whatever phobias I had about making pulled pork? It was easy, practically foolproof, and soooo darn good. I did 3 roasts, 1 of them bone-in, on 2 bbq's. Man, they were good, and, as of last night, gone! So thanks for the info and pics and I'd encourage any other pulled pork virgins to get on with it - take the plunge and make it.
BTW, I thought my pulled pork was waaaay tastier than the last pulled pork I had - in March at the Hog's Breath Saloon in Key West.

For anyone interested here's the rub I used (per 4 lb of butt):

1 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs ground cumin
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 or 3 tsp ground hot chilies

and the BBQ Sauce:

1 cup ketchup
1 cup cider vinegar
3 Tbs yellow mustard
3 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 or 3 tsp liquid smoke
2 or 3 tsp coarse black pepper
Tabasco to your taste
2 cloves garlic, minced

Add all ingredients to a saucepan and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until slightly thickened.

Thanks, monty.

2010 Jun 2
This pic is leftovers - bean salad, potato salad, baked beans and pulled pork with coleslaw on top.
I served the meat with the BBQ sauce on the side but tried leftovers with it mixed in - both ways were good (though my dw did say she preferred it mixed in with the meat). Way too much food for a meal for me but I ate it - and ate Rolaids afterwards =;0(
The pic in the previous post is of a bone-in butt and a boneless butt - though the bone-in butt has the face of a hound on it, or is it something else?

2010 Jun 2
wow. nice spread there Andy! glad you found some inspiration in my post. thanks for the kind words.

i have done quite a few butts since my documented inaugural run, and i am convinced pork shoulder is one of the most forgiving cuts of meat. it is really almost impossible to screw up!

2010 Jun 3
Andy - That looks fantastic. You've inspired me: I'm gonna pull me some pork soon. Shame I only have an oven!

2010 Jun 3
Momo, here's a link ( www.finerkitchens.com) to Gretchen's Carolina Pulled Pork recipe that first got me interested in pulled pork (her recipe is now ALL over the internet!) - it sounded so good I don't know why I hadn't made it before now. I got her recipe from the her post at the Epicurious site (aka Gail's Recipe Swap) back in '02. She now posts at the Finer Kitchens or Eat At Forum as I think it's now known. She has an oven method that she uses most commonly - must be 40 years now! She seems to like it done in the oven! I used her sauce recipe - my s-i-l (I had him make it)thought at first it might be too vinegary but I assured him with the rich pork with all the fat rendered in that the sauce would be fine (he later agreed). I had been thinking this winter/spring about doing it for the 2 of us but I never cook a roast anymore for the 2 of us. I will be trying it for sure now and hope it's big enough that there will be enough to freeze, unlike this time.

Do try it in the oven and let us know what you think - I'm sure it will be better than no pulled pork sandwiches at all!

2010 Jun 4
wow andy, that looks really good. mind sharing your baked beans recipe? look very good

btw monty, for those using stoves, would we follow same steps but then put in oven?

2010 Jun 4
cooking in the stove is dead easy, but you need to add smoke flavouring to mimic the flavours of a truly smoked pork shoulder.

2010 Jun 5
iheartsomosa - they are good baked beans, and the recipe is from Canadian Living Cookbook.
If you didn't already, check the Finerkitchen link I posted above for Gretchen's oven method for the pulled pork.

Maple Baked Beans with Apples

1 pkg (1lb/500g) white pea (navy) beans
6 c water
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 lb salt pork or bacon, cut in ½" pieces
1/2 c maple syrup
1/3 c chili sauce (or ketchup)
2 tbsp molasses
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp salt
3 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut in eighths
1/3 c firmly packed brown sugar ...(Andy: or maple sugar)
1/4 c butter, melted
1/4 c rum (optional)

Wash beans, discarding any shriveled or discoloured ones. Place beans in large saucepan, pour water over, cover and let stand overnight.

Bring beans and soaking water to boil (do not change water). Reduce heat and simmer, covered, (watch for boil over!) until tender, about 1 hour. Drain, reserving cooking liquid.

In 6-cup casserole or baking dish, combine beans, onion, salt pork, maple syrup, chili sauce, molasses, mustard and salt. Add enough reserved cooking liquid to cover, stir well. Cover and bake in 300F (150C) oven for 3 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more liquid as needed to keep beans barely covered.

Uncover and top with apple sections. Sprinkle with brown sugar and drizzle melted butter over. Bake for 1 hr longer or til apples are tender.

Just before serving, drizzle with rum.

Andy’s notes: Bring beans to a boil carefully, so they don’t boil over and make a big mess! Simmer about 45 minutes then check a bean or 2 for tenderness - if not tender continue to simmer and test every 5 minutes until they are al dente or near what you want them to be; they will not tenderize much more after adding the sauce ingredients and baking for 3 hours the recipe calls for. I use a large bean pot for 2 lb of beans and a smaller one for 1 lb. I bake about 6 or 7 hours to get the colour, flavour and texture I want. The apples can be omitted, if desired, and the rum can be stirred into the beans near the end of cooking, if desired. Taste near the end of cooking and add more molasses or brown sugar if you want the beans to be sweeter.

2010 Jun 7
Thanks, Andy! That's my kind of recipe: leave for a while in a fridge, leave for a while in an oven, shred, eat. Now the big problem is what wine to serve with it ;)

2010 Jun 7
thanks a lot, Andy!

2010 Jun 20
did up an 8.5lb'er for "Monty Sr." today. cut was courtesy of The Butchery and had a nice fat cap on it (photo is of underside, see bottom left corner).

2010 Jun 20
smoked with hickory, total cook time was approx 12 hours to hit ~195F IT.

did a light layer of yellow mustard, and hit the shoulder with a solid coating of dry rub [base of paprika and brown sugar]. great bark on this bad boy!

2010 Sep 9
Andy - Wow, so I finally got around to making pulled pork thanks to the holiday on Monday, and I've got to say I'm damn pleased with the results.

Got a three-pound (bone-out) pork shoulder from Saslove's in the Market for about twelve bucks, rubbed it with the spice rub mix that you posted earlier, and left it in the fridge overnight.

Next morning I cooked it, covered, in a 250-degree oven for a bit more than 8 hours. Now, the recipe doesn't specify covering, but I figured that trapping the steam can't do any harm. Gives me a chance to use that big-honking roaster that I never use anyway.

Served it on crusty Portuguese rolls with the vinegary-as-all-get-out-but-so-delicious Carolina-style sauce, creamed corn with bacon and shallots, and some boiled greens.

We've been eating it all week, and I still can't get enough of it. When it's time for dinner I just make a fresh batch of greens and throw the pork in the oven at 250 for a half hour or so to warm it up. Hasn't dried out yet.

2010 Sep 10
Terrific, Momo! Green with envy here...thinking of the homemade pulled pork you're enjoying, I seem to be smacking my lips. And the thought of such an easy lunch or supper now that I'm back at work adds extra smack appeal. Yum.
Enjoy!

2010 Sep 10
Once I've hit the "can't eat any more pulled pork sandwiches" limit (usually day 4), I've turned to pulled pork nachos, usually switch to a sweeter bbq sauce in favor of salsa. Decadent. (nachos include cheese, onions, jalapeño, bell peppers, pulled pork and bbq sauce)

2010 Sep 13
you'll see this cut has been nicely trimmed. you don't want to cut off too much fat as the intention is to smoke with the fat cap side up, cooking low and slow to break down that fat which essentially melts into the meat and self-bastes.