In Digestion (or: Foodie Meetup Recipe Thread) [Events]

2009 Aug 24
I've been waiting a while to use that thread title, so there it is.

Recipes. Post 'em. Please. For the love of those of us who had no idea that escargot could be so delicious on pizza (staring you down, Poutine) or how green papaya tasted.

Right then. Starting backwards, with dessert:

::a very verstaile vanilla cake::

ingredients
1 1/2 cup (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pans
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs plus 4 large egg yolks
3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk

directions
preheat oven to 350 degrees. butter and flour two 8-by-2-inch cake pans, tapping out excess flour.
in a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
in a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, beat in eggs and yolks, one at a time.
beat in vanilla. alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined.
divide batter between pans; smooth tops. bake until cakes pull away from sides of pans, 32 to 35 minutes.
let cool in pans 10 minutes.
run a knife around edges of pans and invert cakes onto a wire rack.
let cool completely.

::delicious, lightly chocolated, buttercream::
1 1/3 cups sugar
7 large egg whites
pinch of salt
1 1/4 pounds (5 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-size pieces, softened
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

combine sugar, egg whites, and salt in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer.
set over a pan of simmering water. whisk constantly until sugar has dissolved and mixture registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer {if you're like me, and without an electric candy thermomter, it should be about the temperature of your latte}.
return bowl to mixer; fit mixer with whisk attachment. beat on medium-high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form, and mixture is cool, about 10 minutes.
with mixer on medium speed, add butter, 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time, mixing well after each addition. mix, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, until mixture is smooth. mix in vanilla extract. use immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days.

i added two ounces of dark chocolate, melted on my double boiler to this recipe for the chocolate icing, which was perfect!

2009 Aug 24
Pork and Tofu (Ma - Po Tofu)

Ingredients:
1 lb ground pork
2 pkg medium tofu
1 tbsp chili garlic sauce (add more for more spice)
1 tbsp tepanjian sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp sesame oil
6 cloves garlic
4 sprigs green onion
2 tbsp cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup water
1 red pepper

Prep (10 minutes):
1. Put ground pork in steel mixing bowl with soy sauce, 1 tbsp corn starch, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, the sesame oil and the sugar.
2. Mix thoroughly and let sit for 15-30 minutes.
3. Cube tofu into .75 inch cubes.
4. Peel and chop garlic very coarsely (into half cloves)
5. Dice red pepper into .5 cm cubes.
6. Slice green onion springs along the diagonal into .5 cm strips.
7. Combine 1 tbsp corn starch, 1tbsp oyster sauce and water. Stir until thoroughly mixed.

Cooking time (20 minutes):
8. Heat veg oil until hot in wok or large frying pan.
9. When oil is hot, add garlic and sautee until you can smell the garlic.
10. Add meat mixture.
11. Stir fry meat until 90% cooked, move meat occasionally to avoid sticking.
12. Add chili garlic sauce and tepanjian sauce.
13. Stir fry for 5 minutes, moving the mixture around regularly to avoid sticking.
14. Add red pepper.
15. Stir fry 1 minute.
16. Add tofu.
17. Very gently to avoid breaking the tofu, stir the mixture around.
18. Add corn starch mixture made in step 7.
19. Cook until mixture reaches the consistency you like.
20. Sprinkle green onion on top.
21. Serve with hot jasmine rice.

Serves approximately 10.

2009 Aug 24
Hot Russian Mustard (from RecipeSource)

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Cup Dry Mustard
2 Tablespoons Cold Water
1 1/2 Cups Boiling Water
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar/Brown sugar
3 Tablespoons White Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1/2 Teaspoon Salt

In a bowl mix together the dry mustard & cold water to form a stiff paste.
Smooth down the mixture with a rubber spatula.

Pour 1/2 cup of the boiling water over the mustard; do not stir. Let the
water sit on top. Allow to cool & carefully pour the water off. Pour another
1/2 cup of boiling water over the mustard & repeat the procedure. Repeat once
more with the last 1/2 cup. When this last is cooled & poured off, whisk in
the sugar, vinegar, oil, & salt. Blend well. Keep in a well-sealed container
& allow to stand overnight before using.

Makes 1 1/4 cups.

2009 Aug 24
Continuing with
the desserts...

(sorry for delete/bumping; I realised I had taken a picture..
might as well include it!)

Rhubarb Pie (on the right in photo)

Filling:
4 cups chopped rhubarb (I used frozen rhubarb slightly thawed under cold water and blotted dry)
1 cup liquid honey (I used unfiltered sweet summer honey, but a less intense one may work best)
7 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon max of flavouring as you like it (I used freshly grated orange zest)

Crust:
Robin Hood mix, since I've had horrid experiences going from scratch

In large mixing bowl, pour flour on rhubarb, coat as evenly as you can. Add honey, mix well. Add salt and flavouring. Pour in bottom shell, add top crust, make incisions/patterns.

Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, then at 350 for approximately 40-45 more minutes. Get pie out just before the smell says "ready" so it can finish baking out of the oven.

For the golden crispy top crust that I had, use one whole egg, beaten with a little water; brush over whole crust before putting in the oven, and brush every ten minutes after.

Rhubarb and Pineapple Pie (on the left in photo)

Filling:
2 eggs
2 cups rhubarb (I used frozen rhubarb, slightly thawed under cold water and blotted dry)
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained

Crust:
Robin Hood mix, since I've had horrid experiences going from scratch

Coat flour on rhubarb. Beat eggs in bowl, add sugar, mix well. Add floury rhubarb and salt. Pour about half of mix in bottom of pie shell, layer half of pineapples. Repeat. Cover with pie crust, make holes or indentations as desired.

Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then at 325 for approximately 30 more minutes. Get pie out just before the smell says "ready" so it can finish baking out of the oven.

For the golden crispy top crust that I had, use one whole egg, beaten with a little water; brush over whole crust before putting in the oven, and brush every ten minutes after.

2009 Aug 24
Recipe stolen from Recipizaar and modified.

Herbed Crackers Recipe #173505

25 min | 10 min prep

SERVES 17

* 1/2 cup white flour, plus
* 1 tablespoon white flour
* 1/3 cup oat bran
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
* 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk

Various different spice combination for the flavours. Some suggestions include onion powder, thyme leaves, basil, garlic and oregano. Another attempt is chili powder, chili flakes, coriander, cumin, pepper and paprika. Another variant is onion powder and Parmesan cheese.

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Spray large rimless baking sheet on at least two sides with non-stick coating.
3. In medium bowl, combine flour, oat bran,baking soda, salt, and the chosen spice combination.
4. Stir to mix well.
5. Add oil and buttermilk.
6. Stir until thoroughly combined.
7. Gather dough into a ball.
8. Place dough ball on prepared baking sheet.
9. Cover with wax paper and roll dough into 10 x 14 inch rectangle.
10. Try to keep thickness of dough as even as possible as thick crackers will not crisp.
11. Cut and patch dough if necessary to make the size of the rectangle.
12. Gently peel off and discard wax paper after rolling out the dough.
13. Prick dough all over with the tines of a fork.
14. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter or pastry wheel to cut the rolled out dough into squares of 1 1/2" x 2" on a side, leaving the dough in place on the baking sheet.
15. Bake in centre of oven 12-15 mins or until crackers on the edges are lightly browned and crisped.
16. Remove from oven and separate the brown crackers from the rest of the sheet with a metal spatula.
17. Transfer the brown crackers to a wire rack to cool.
18. Return baking sheet to the oven.
19. Continue baking checking every one and a half to 2 minutes, and removing them from the sheet when they are done.
20. Continue until all the crackers are lightly browned.
21. When the crackers are slightly cooled, separate any which are slightly stuck together.
22. Cool on a metal rack.
23. Crackers should keep up to a week in an air-tight container.

One cookie sheet of crackers, enough for 2-3.

2009 Aug 24
ONION CONFIT

olive oil
2 pounds onions, thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
1 cup dry red wine
6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons grenadine

Heat enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a heavy large pot over med heat. Mix in sliced onions, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cover and cook until onions are very soft, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Add dry red wine, balsamic & grenadineand simmer uncovered until mixture is thick & onions are very tender, stirring often, about 25 minutes. Season confit to taste with additional salt and pepper if needed.

*I had good results with sweet onions, vidalia and I think once I used red onions. If using very sweet onions, reduce amount of sugar.

This confit is great with crostinis and brie. Or served over a piece of room temp cream cheese.

2009 Aug 24
I know that "Poutine" has been waiting eagerly for this. Sorry I'm only posting it after supper.

Goat Cheese Salad with Pancetta, dried cherry and Port dressing (The Bon Appetit Cookbook, p. 151)

* 1 1/4 cups dried tart cherries
* 1/2 cup tawny Port

* 5 ounces pancetta or bacon, chopped
* 2 shallots, minced
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* 2 teaspoons sugar

* 1 5.5-ounce log soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet), cut into
1/2-inch-thick slices

* 1 5-ounce bag mixed salad greens
* 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

Combine cherries and Port in heavy small saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat; let stand until cherries swell, about 15 minutes. Sauté pancetta in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Add shallots and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add oil, then vinegar and sugar; stir until sugar dissolves. Stir in cherry mixture. Season with salt and pepper. (Dressing can be made 2 hours ahead. Set aside in skillet at room temperature.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place goat cheese slices on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until warm, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine salad greens and pine nuts in bowl. Rewarm dressing and pour over salad; toss to blend. Top with warm goat cheese and serve.

My Notes:

You can find reviews and alternate versions at www.epicurious.com

For next time: halve the dried cherries, use a mid-strength port, use more greens, cut the pancetta into smaller portions.

2009 Aug 25
Marinated Artichoke Salad

Marinade
1/3 cup olive oil
1/8 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. oregano
2 cloves garlic, crushed
salt and pepper

Ingredients
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 x 8 oz. can pitted black olives, halved
1 x 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered

Directions

Stir together in small bowl the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.

In a larger bowl, place tomatoes, mushrooms, olives and artichoke hearts. Pour olive oil mixture over all. Toss. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.

Makes six servings.

Add feta cheese for a complete meal.

2009 Aug 25
Pasta Lover were the artichoke hearts in water or oil when you purchased them? I think this is going to be my lunch next week.

2009 Aug 25
I usually get artichoke hearts in water just out of personal preference. I suppose you could use the ones in oil if you prefer.

2009 Aug 25
poutine Your escargot pizza seemed to be a hit! I'm sorry I didn't get to try a piece but I am willing to settle for second best and make it myself. I am just wondering if you are willing to share the recipe?

2009 Aug 25
It was a great time and we will look forward to something in November. Thanks again to Pam and LWB. Job well done!

A couple of people wanted the coleslaw recipe so here it is, compliments of Peter Reinhart.
Brother Juniper’s Café Cole Slaw
(serves 6)

1 large head green cabbage
1/2 cup finely diced onion (yellow, white, or red—about 1 small to medium onion)
1 1/2 cups good mayonnaise (Hellman’s or Best Foods, or homemade)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)

Grate or shred the cabbage as thinly as possible. In a bowl, combine it with the diced onions and all the other ingredients. Depending on the size of the cabbage, you may have to add more mayo, sugar, and vinegar to taste. Mix well, chill, and allow the slaw to sit for at least one hour before serving. It will keep for up to one week in the fridge but it may get runny as the cabbage starts to weep moisture. If so, stir it up to recombine with the liquid.

2009 Aug 25
I posted the recipe last night, but I took too long and it "clocked" out! I lost everything. So I have a few minutes now. I will post the Escargot Pizza in the next hr.

2009 Aug 25
November!? Awesome! I was going to selfishly suggest the next one NOT coincided with canning season :-) Of course, my luck in November it will coincide with my son's birthday party :-/

2009 Aug 25
Escargot Pizza

I am so glad and flattered that everyone liked it so much! Remember, I made up this recipe and I never make it the same. It is very versatile.

1 PC flat bread or any thin crust pizza dough of your choice
1 box of Boursin cheese (Costco has the best deal)
About ¼ cup of cream, any % will do
2 cans of escargots (I buy mine at Costco, good value & quality)
2 cloves of garlic, or more-chopped
About ½ cup of caramelized onions (optional)

Cheese of your choice: (here are a few I have tried and liked) the possibilities are endless
-Raclette cheese
-Bleu cheese
-Carambozola
-La Sauvagine
-Parmesan

-Brush olive oil on both sides of flat bread or dough and crisp up in the oven at about 375-400. Take out and let cool on counter.
-Rinse snails very well under cold water, if not, might have some sand.
-Sauté them in butter in cast iron or non-stick pan. For the potluck, I added a few tbsp of bacon fat  to the butter.
-Add chopped garlic, but don’t brown or burn garlic. *If I have any opened, I add a splash of white wine. (optional)
-Remove snails from pan and set aside. In the same pan, add cream and round of Boursin. Melt over low heat and reduce until thickened.
-Let mixture cool slightly and spread on flat bread and add escargots on top.

Here is where you let your imagination go;
I usually sprinkle a little grated parm and then dot the pizza with blue cheese. However, on Sunday, due to allergies
I used Raclette cheese, Parm and a few pieces of Sauvagine cheese. I also for fun added onions that I had caramelized slowly in butter and yes…bacon fat
with a bit of salt, pepper & sugar. I also added chopped parsley from the garden. I have also once used dots of Boursin on top…

Then place pizza on baking sheet in a 400 degree oven and cook until cheese is melted to your satisfaction. On Sunday, I finished it off on the BBQ, it turned out good but perhaps the crust was just a little too hard..

2009 Aug 25
November!? Awesome! I was going to selfishly suggest the next one NOT coincided with canning season :-) Of course, my luck in November it will coincide with my son's birthday party :(

I suggested this so as to not coincide with winter holiday festivity shennanagins.

I'm happy to host. I only have room for about 20 in my apartment though...we might have to make it foodies only?

2009 Aug 25
I live in Aylmer, I have a big kitchen with a big*** island...Would that be good?

2009 Aug 25
I've added my recipes to our wiki, as follows:

* Corn Muffins - wiki.ottawafoodies.com
* Char Siu (BBQ Pork) - wiki.ottawafoodies.com

Thanks for sharing yours, everyone!

2009 Aug 25
Poutine thanks for sharing the pizza recipe now I know what I will be making for dinner this weekend-;) (It's pizza and movie night at my place on Saturday nights so now I can bump up the pizza part a notch hehe.)

Fresh Foodie Thanks also for the char siu recipe I absolutely loved it. There's no BGE at my place but I will cook the pork in my oven and reminisce about how good your bbq'd version was-;)

2009 Aug 25
Poutine, I think your offer would be amazing!! That said, I think some of us are still full from Sunday...but I'm sure there will be talk in October or so about the next one. We should definitely keep that in mind (NTS: Start buttering up to Poutine!)

2009 Aug 25
Poutine - we might need to organize a bus to bring us all home after, or tents to put up in the back yard ;-)

2009 Aug 25
Please forgive me, I've copied a number of recipes even though I wasn't able to attend due to a baby shower/dinner event - thanks to all for posting. I finally got the other thread and this one read and it sounds like those who did make it enjoyed themselves and ate more than well. Maybe next time I'll do the same...

2009 Aug 26
Make sure it's some time after the 20th of November so I'll be back from India, kthxbye.

2009 Aug 26
Pissaladière

Short Crust - approx 185 g of unsalted butter, 2 cups all purpose flour, pinch of salt, pinch of sugar, cold milk.

Cut cold butter into the flour, salt and sugar mixture, until you are getting little crumbs. Slowly add milk to make the mixture stick enough to form a ball. Chill in the fridge for about two hours, then roll it out into a 1/4" thick pie crust. Parchment paper is your friend, I would suggest lining a pizza sheet or cookie sheet with it, and then placing crust on top.

Caramelize about 1.5 kg of sliced yellow onions (I used about 7-8) in a pan with a splash of olive oil. Takes about 2 hours on low heat to get the correct light brown colour without burning. I find it best to cover the pan for first hour and then let the water evaporate with the lid off over the second hour.

Pour the onions into the rolled out pie crust. Decorate with anchovies and unpitted whole black olives. Bake for about 25 minutes, depending on your oven, until the crust is brown.

Apparently, some places close to the Italian border grate some Gruyere over the pissaladière before baking. This is considered an unacceptable variation in my Francophile household ;)

2009 Aug 26
Martin Picard’s Tomato Tart - abridged from Au Pied du Cochon cookbook

I have to give credit where it is due, this is neither strictly a classic or a personal invention.

Short crust - prepared as for pissaladiere

Bechamel Sauce - Melt about 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons of flour. Cook for a few minutes (allowing no colouring to occur) and slowly add warmed milk, about 1 3/4 cups. Let mixture simmer and thicken, then add grated nutmeg, salt, pepper and grainy dijon to taste. Allow sauce to cool. You can of course warm the milk with onions, bay leaves etc and then strain them out before adding to the roux, I don’t always do this.

Spread cooled bechamel on the pie crust. Grate Gruyere over the sauce. Place sliced tomatoes all over, and then top with minced thyme and tarragon. Add salt and pepper. Bake for about 20 minutes until crust is browned.

2009 Aug 26
amarena cherry bbq sauce

part A
------

1 tsp Liquid Smoke or Liquid Chipotle or Liquid Hickory depending on your BBQ preference

3 tbsp vegetable oil

1/2 cup minced onion

1/2 tsp allspice

1/4 cup minced green pepper

1 jalapeno pepper minced

1 tablespoons minced garlic

1/4 cup tomato sauce

1/4 cup ketchup

1/2 cup water

2 tbsp cider vinegar

2 tbsp lemon juice

2 tbsp molasses

2 tbsp cayenne pepper sauce

2 tbsp dijon mustard

1/4 cup dark brown sugar

1 tsp chili powder

add Worcestershire sauce to taste

pinch each kosher salt and black pepper

part B
------

750 ml Amarena cherries with syrup

blend Amarena cherries until smooth.

method:
-------

1) bring part A to a boil, then lower the heat so the sauce simmers. simmer 10 mins.

2) add part A + part B. mix well.

3) brush onto meats upon broil finishing.

4) awesome on ribs, chicken, fish, burgers. activate foodgasm. bask in the afterglow. go to heaven.

2009 Aug 27
for Poutine et al:

Sam Tum (SouthEast Asian Green Papaya Salad)

3 green papayas, approximately nerf football size (seek and find in Chinatown for best results)
I large carrot
1/2 each: red onion, green pepper, red pepper, golden pepper
1/4 cup each: cilantro, Thai cilantro aka sawtooth herb, mint
1/2 cup lime juice
fish sauce to taste (brands vary in salinity) start with a 1/4 cup
fresh chopped garlic to taste
chopped Thai chilis to taste (green add more flavour, red more heat) start with two each
optional but traditional: dried shrimp, 2 tsp

method:
shred papaya
julienne other veggies
chiffonade herbs
mix and taste away
can add: chicken, poached shrimp or crabmeat

2009 Aug 27
DROOL - DROOL - DROOL

The recipes are unbelievable, I see what everyone meant when they said there was a "feast".

Pej Daddy - Not familiar with "Amarena Cherries" are these readily available? Or are they found at a particular shop / grocery?

2009 Aug 27
Food&Think: Amarena Cherries come in cute little jars and can be bought at Bottega, Nicastro's et cetera. They're so wonderfully a bit tart!

2009 Aug 27
LWB - Merci. Now think I will google what else I can do with this item that is "new" to me.... love trying new things (especially when they come highly recommended).

2009 Oct 24
If I recall, several Ottawa Foodies had mentioned a pre-winter meetup so that we may share some winter dishes and get together before the weather becomes too nasty and cold. I'm likely going to be back in Ottawa the weekend of November 21/22. Would anyone be interested in attending and even hosting such an event?

P.S. I'm NOT offering my parents' home in Ottawa for the event; I'm just testing for interest.

2009 Oct 24
The weekend of November 21/22 sounds surprisingly feasible to me. I could do up a survey monkey thing in the week or so to sound off weekends of feasbility. I vote for not-pam's-roof, because although it was lovely, it would be a bit cold.

I have a 2-bedroom apartment that is suitable for not more than 20 people. I would love nothing more than to host you all, but in order for that to happen, we might want to discount children from this event (?) only because there will be no room for them.

I like the idea of hosting, it's one of my favourite things to do. Our apartment just isn't conducive to 40 plus food.

2009 Oct 25
That's good to know! Is anyone else interested in taking part in this event?

2009 Oct 28
Food Film Director Count me in! But, like others, I live in a small apartment so I have no room for a crowd. If we can generate enough interest would it be feasible to look into renting a room? Library and Archives has an auditorium available for rent - complete with kitchen - and I "think" Loblaws rents their kitchens to the public. I am willing to help out where necessary.

2009 Oct 29
Pasta Lover - I believe the Sobey's meeting rooms are free for community type events - you only have to book it.

2009 Oct 29
Thanks for the heads up Jojo. Last summer's meetup was alot of fun. I am hoping we can have organize another one at some point. This time of year is generally busy for alot of us so getting a group together during the holiday season may be a bit of a challenge. But if there is enough interest that would be great! If not there are still some fun things to do after the holidays (a skating party might be fun-;) so hopefully at some point we can get something going.

2009 Oct 29
Hi folks,

I could host an event in November. I am in an apartment building with a beautiful party room that could easily accommodate 40+ people. My building is at the corner of Carling and Bayshore and is accessible by bus (85, 166 and 97). It has a kitchen with fridge, microwave, oven, sink, coffee maker, some utensils and even kitchen towels! (that have to be washed and returned, bien sur). There are tables, chairs, couches, two bathrooms (m/f) and a coat closet.

There's a $40 charge for renting the room, and it has to be left spotless. The beautiful view over the river is free...

If you are all interested, let me know and I can check the availability (it is generally available on the weekends). Perhaps each person could bring $1 to cover the cost of the room, and then help clean up.

Let me know!

2009 Oct 29
If you live at the southeast corner of that intersection, I've actually been in that party room a few years ago. Anyway, as long as it's Nov 20, 21 or 22 during the afternoon, I can attend.