LCBO & The Beer Store [Food/Vendor]

2009 Jun 16
OK, this is a carry over from the Buzz Section where the LCBO has recently become a Vendor page (was bound to happen eventually) and the comments that I made there. (I admit wrong place / wrong time... and I have since deleted them, and created this topic instead).

*My original comments have been slightly ammended to fit better with the Forum.

I just am looking to initiate a discussion about the adding of the LCBO and The Beer Store as Vendors.

Of course they ARE Vendors in Ottawa, but I personally see no need for either of them to have OF Vendor Pages because they are HUGE Monopolies with no competition.

Unlike Loblaws where I might find products that are different from say Farm Boy or vice versa, I have no alternative as an Ontario Resident but to purchase my booze at the LCBO (ok with Ottawa's locale, we can cross the border) but you get my drift....

Alcohol is a "controlled substance" in this Province... including the distribution of it.

When I am on the hunt for ice wine for example, I am looking for a local producer (not my mega-corporation cross-province distributor). The concept of the FOODS category was to originally link "exceptional" products to a Vendor... there is nothing exceptional about what I can buy at the LCBO (that was negated the minute it became THE ONLY PLACE that I could legally buy it). LOL

I just wonder...

What are we now going to do? List every frickin item that the LCBO sells as a FOOD item under this Vendor?

Afterall the next natural links to add to the LCBO are for the Food items already in the system - European Wines - Wine - Sparkling Wine - Champagne - Lug Tread etc.

Just curious. Any thoughts.

*Apologies all around if I have offended anyone... it's just that the LCBO / Beer Store strangle-hold on Ontario bothers me.

I know I haven't worded this well... it is difficult to find the "exact" words I am looking for... I guess I just don't see these two International booze-bullies as actual Vendors.

2009 Jun 16
I think it could be useful to have these here for some items, SAQ as well. I.e. I can't get beau's the beer store, but it is available at the LCBO. Good info to know if its your first time looking for a particular item. Agreed having something generic like "sparkling wine" attached to the LCBO is pretty useless.

2009 Jun 16
Sourdough - Good point... hadn't thought thru the Beau's aspect.

2009 Jun 16
I think having the vendors listed is a good thing. People can leave comments on specific products that may be seasonal, new, or hard to find. A lot of that discussion takes place in the forum but is quickly buried as new posts are made.

Just like I wouldn't expect anyone to add every product under the Loblaws vendor entry, I also wouldn't expect someone to add every product under the Beer Store and LCBO vendor entries.

It's obvious we can get Tomatoes at Loblaws, and Wine at the LCBO - but having vendor entries allows people to comment on those seasonal, new, unusual, hard to find products, etc.

Capiche?

2009 Jun 16
I agree... maybe this section would be a good place to recommend or ask for recommendations for wine pairings with food?

2009 Jun 16
Like monty said, if we stick to only listing exceptionally good or hard to find items under the LCBO then it serves the same purpose as any other vendor listing. I promise to delete "Coors Light" if anyone adds it. ;-)

2009 Jun 16
But what about that new delicious Bud Lime? =)

2009 Jun 17
Fresh Foodie - Thanks for that. I suppose we could use it to add the "occasional" item that comes up in the Vintages section, etc. But it would be sad to see it be a catch all for everything.

Monty - I hear ya, and with Fresh Foodie's assurances I think it will probably turn out ok.

As for those Tomatoes... I guess from my perspective yes it is true you can get the Tomatoes at Loblaws... but what if that was the ONLY place you could buy Tomatoes, unless you went to the Farmer directly... and he couldn't distribute, he could only sell to you at his farm... and God forbid you couldn't buy "imported" tomatoes anywhere other than Loblaws (and then only if they decided they wanted to stock them). Then I wouldn't consider Loblaws a Vendor, I'd consider them an organization holding me hostage as a consumer.

Anyways you get my drift, and remember these 3 little words are the key to change "Dear Premier McGuinty..."

2009 Jun 17
monty hath spoken. The Beer Store & LCBO vendor entries shall stand!

2009 Jun 18
Simple enough. Selection varies from location to location. If someone asked what the best LCBO was in Ottawa I would have no trouble suggesting one over the other.

2009 Jun 18
Which one is the best LCBO in Ottawa?
I know this is criteria-dependent...but for size/selection, Rideau Street?

The Richmond Road location often has samples so it holds some appeal. :)

2009 Jun 18
Rideau Street has awesome variety. Richmond Road is right near me...but they don't do liquor license applications, so -1 for them (wedding, August, license. 'Nuff said).

It amazes me the random stuff found at the Carlnig & Woodroffe one (namely good marsala wine).

Also, the beer selection at Richmond is better than downtown. And it's at the end of my street.

2009 Jun 18
If somebody asked me which one was best my answer would be "depends."

7 times out of 10, though, I'd recommend the Rideau and King Edward one.

1 time out of 10, I'd recommend the one at Bank and Walkley, because it stocks every single non-Vintages offering.

2 times out of 10 I'd recommend the one in the Kanata Centrum (AKA "worst parking lot in Ottawa") right by the Chapters. They often have a really good selection. I suspect it's because they're close to fancy-pants Kanata Lakes.

2009 Jun 18
AMR - Well they (the LCBO) consider the Rideau Store the "flagship" store (largest Vintages Section, for example). BUT, I would argue that there are some smaller stores with fine selections as well (Nepean Crossroads at Hunt Club comes to mind)... but also some of the tiniest stores tend to be gold mines when it comes to finding Vintages wines that are often overlooked (more often than not when we go a "hunting" we end up at Carling Ave, Bank Street South or Kemptville).

In recent months the LCBO has stopped advertising the 3 levels of Vintages selections available in their stores (used to be at the back of the "Vintages" Release Guide)... now that everything is available on-line the levels don't seem to be discussed any longer... however I do believe that they still exist.

They were
1 - Stores offering between 50 and 800 Vintages Products
2 - Stores offering between 801 and 1,700 Vintages Products
3 - Stores offering between 1,701 and 2,000+ Vintages Products

Only the Rideau Street store was considered at the highest level.

Stores in the mid level were
* Both the Kanata stores
* Nepean Crossroads (Hunt Club)
* Barrhaven
* Orleans
* Bank Street South

The rest were considered the lowest level:

* Bank Street
* Isabella
* Sparks Street
* World Exchange
* Shopper's City East
* Manotick
* College Square
* Vanier

Can't really speak to the Beer & Spirits end of things... but it seems that the larger stores get more variety... so they probably follow the same format at the Vintages classifications.

Momomoto - My least favourite stores would have to be Kanata Centrum (nightmare parking) and Carling Avenue (horrible access - one way on Carling).

2009 Jun 18
Hi,

I am the one who made the Add vendor request for LCBO because ice wine had been listed under "desperately seeking" for a couple of weeks. I fully understand that LCBO is a monopoly but we also have to remember that this place is meant for helpful reviews to the Ottawa foodie. As previously mentioned, it is pretty obvious that LCBO carries beer and wine and such, but we can still comment/review on some of the rarer or more exceptional products.

2009 Jun 18
Shag Me - Agree totally... However I for one would have a difficult time giving a positive Review to the LCBO. ;-)

My concerns (and the reason I started this topic) were that it would quickly expand beyond "exceptional products" (which is the OF Guideline for adding links to Food Items to Vendors)... this has happened in the past with other Vendors, where people add a Food item, just because the Vendor (be it a Store or Restaurant) sells it. This history, is probably part of the reason that in the three or so years that OF has been up and running that neither the LCBO nor The Beer Store were added as Vendors... everyone knew who they were, what they sold, and a majority of what they sold was NOT Local (never mind exceptional).

It also concerns me that it could still evolve this way... say that a particular wine is on a Release from the LCBO (for a limited time) someone creates that link... and then before we know it there could be a HUGE pile of links for Vintages Products (that may or may not be available consistently... if ever again).

As Fresh Foodie has pointed out, it is hoped that the "obvious" items won't be linked.

Sourdough however, made a good point above... things took a serious change recently when we finally had a decent supplier of "beer" come on board in the Ottawa Valley. The addition of Beau's Beer is a great argument for adding the LCBO as a Vendor, because Beau's is LOCAL, and isn't available at The Beer Store.

As for the "Desperately Seeking" section there is a general misunderstanding of how this OF feature works... When a new food item is created, it automatically goes onto the "Desperately Seeking" List until such time as it is linked with a LOCAL Vendor.

Of course... everyone knows that the LCBO sells ice wine... but how many people know where besides the LCBO to find LOCAL ice wine? Which is part of the reason I made the Ice Wine entry in the first place (hoping to find a LOCAL Vendor).

The good news, is that the ice wine issue has recently been righted, as I have indeed discovered a local supplier... and am in the process of making those links.

Hope this clears up any misunderstandings, I wasn't ranting about anything in particular you had done, just OF's previous relationship with these two "suppliers" based on the history of this website.

2009 Jun 18
Several intermingled threads here, but I wanted to add a comment on the "best LCBO" question. For me, the best LCBO is the one that 1) is closest, and 2) has what I want. That often turns out to be the Westboro store or the College Square store... or Crossroads, or... it depends. I just made a run out to Barrhaven, as they were the only store in the entire area (including the Rideau and Bank St flagship stores) other than Shopper's City East that had the wine I wanted.

If you know what you want (and I usually do), then the LCBO's online search (www.lcbo.com) is your friend. Find the product, click on "Find Stores", sort the store list by clicking on "City", and Bob's yer uncle.

2009 Jun 18
"Also, the beer selection at Richmond is better than downtown."

Is it really? I know that Richmond doesn't carry any Rogue beers so that's a huge strike against it in the selection department for me. Other than that it could be on par.

I'm still pissed that they closed down the Wellington Street location to accommodate the Richmond location. Makes no sense with Hampton so close. And Hintonburg goes without a local LCBO.

2009 Jun 18
BDM - Have to agree totally, we use the LCBO Search often to find something from past Releases that we've decided we like, but can't find in our local store. Recently bought a whole case of wine in Kemptville, that was otherwise "out of stock" in Ottawa. That was one sweet find.

As for beer, I'm not the beer drinker, "The Man" is... but I would imagine that some of the mid-level stores which feature sort of a designated beer zone (kind of like the way the Vintages section is set up in an "alcove" (for lack of a better term) and not just a shelf at the back of the store would have a far greater selection... I know that in the past "The Man" has enjoyed looking thru the beers at Nepean Crossroads for example, where he enjoys buying a variety of individual imported cans.

2009 Jun 18
F&T, I'm curious whether your local ice wine producer might be Domaine du Cervin between Chesterville and Morewood (south of Russell)? I've tried some early product from there and was quite impressed with the flavours. For anyone interested you can see their website here: site.voila.fr/cervinenglish - btw they also raise and sell deer meat. As far as I know they only sell their wine at the farm.

2009 Jun 18
Andy - Actually, my new found summer foodie project this year is to do the "rounds" of all the local wineries and discover what they have on offer... which is part of the reason I created the Ice Wine link originally (that and I wanted to add it as a "Food Favourite" to my Profile Page List.

I've been meaning to create a Forum Topic on this, and will do so in the near future (when I have a bit more data to share). Still sampling, LOL.

2009 Jun 18
I've been meaning to try those local/semi-local wineries too, but just haven't gotten a round tuit. Not that I have high expectations, but I'm always prepared to be pleasantly surprised. It's too bad that they can't sell those sinful products at the farmer's markets...

2009 Jun 19
unless the provincial arbitrator does a whamjam job, the LCBO will go on strike on the 24th, this wednesday!

and somehow the SAQ decided to do the same

2009 Jun 19
It's hard to imagine that the Ontario gummint would let their prize cash cow go offline, but I suppose it could happen. I'll be picking up a few things at the LCBO tomorrow anyway, not so much because I fear a strike, but because there's a Vintages release. Among the wines that caught my eye in this release are the 2007 Peninsula Ridge Viognier, 2008 Malivoire Chardonnay Musque, and a Gruner Veltliner that's been getting some rave reviews. I might splurge for the '07 Stag's Leap Chard, too.

2009 Jun 19
Late to the discussion here, but i like the direction the LCBO tag / review section is taking. BDM's posting (and Shag me's ... haha, love the name) are exactly what i'd like to read 10 minutes before heading out into the wild looking for something to pair w/ the evening's dinner.

And, re. the Richmond store, i have to (sadly) agree w/ Ollie's disappointment in its beer selection. Someone on staff must have a serious penchant for E. European stuff. The Carling location, by contrast (and as mentioned in one of the "what beer u drinking" threads), has a surprising eclectic and punch-above-its-weight selection: Duvel, Chimay, Aventinus are all recent purchases, among other Cdn options (Beau's, Heritage, Sgt. Major's, St. Ambroise).

2009 Jun 20
Obi, do you have a source for that bit about the SAQ? I was counting on them to tide me through a strike on the Ontario side!

itchy: I was reminded of a few other favourites I haven't seen at Richmond: Brooklyn Lager and Dogfish Head 60. I am sadly switching to Richmond from Rideau as my new local at the end of the month.

Richmond does have a good selection of Ontario micros, I'll give them that. Although Ontario is probably producing the least interesting variety of beers at the moment.

Remembering the glory days of Hart, the original Upper Canada and the original Connors...

2009 Jun 21
none that I can site Ollie
just an off the cuff remark by the Union shop rep made to me when I asked about the strike

2009 Jun 22
ollie, if both go on strike, there's always the depanneurs.

2009 Jun 22
LWB - Thats equivalent to telling a "foodie" that if the world was coming to an end and all the Restaurants in the world closed, there would still be McDonalds (ya them & cockroaches... can't kill em, they don't die, and they are superbugs that are more synthetic than real).

2009 Jun 22
Richmond is my current default LCBO due to it's proximity to my apartment and I was happy at least that they had a decent amount of Beau's if nothing else.

2009 Jun 23
the managers will still attempt to operate certain stores

2009 Jun 23
With an impending LCBO strike does anyone know if the Wine Racks and Beer Stores will be open? Otherwise I am off to the LCBO after work to stock up...

2009 Jun 23
Looks like the super-market based stores will still be open

And of course Beer Store has nothing whatsoever to do with LCBO, so yeah, they will be open.

2009 Jun 23
Awesome thanks! Now that the hot weather is here my biggest dilemma will be in deciding what nice cold beverage I would like to drink - a chard or a Beau's. Zy - you could always cash in on the strike and sell some of your home brew-;)

2009 Jun 23
I too am going to stock up today... as we drink far more wine than alcohol, the bar is in good shape.

Just need to pick up a few "imports" to fill out the wine inventory... (plan to take a look at the Vintages Release we missed on the weekend).

We'll be able to make do over the summer between The Wine Rack and a Beer Run to Beau's in Vankleek Hill (lol, just thought of that Foody Call topic... no one really mentioned the term "Beer Run" which of course has been around forever... and living in this city that often meant a "special trip" across the bridge to Quebec).

We also have an upcoming trip planned to Niagara, and oh ya of course, we are doing the local Ottawa Valley Wine Tour this summer (so far pleasantly surprised).

So as long as Beau's doesn't have a beer shortage (doubt that considering the honking huge tanks they put into the operation early Spring) we'll be just fine, even if the SAQ decides to follow suit and hit the picket lines too.

2009 Jun 23
I'm not sure where the information on the SAQ strike is coming from. There's nothing on the site or newswires about it.

2009 Jun 23
Food&Think If you are planning an Ottawa Valley Wine Tour you might be interested in knowing about Countryman's Winery. (They are technically not in the Valley since they are actually located in Leeds Grenville but I digress.) Regional Contact did a story on them last Saturday and I "believe" the only wine available at the LCBO is the strawberry wine but there are several other varieties available at the vineyard. They also sell preserves, pies, and all sorts of other things that are made on the farm. I found their website if you are interested in reading more about them: www.countrymans.ca

2009 Jun 23
Pasta lover, perhaps I didn't quite explain what I was questioning...there was talk on this forum about the SAQ in Quebec going on strike at the same time as the LCBO. There's information on the LCBO strike everywhere, but I looked into the SAQ strike and found nothing of note.

2009 Jun 23
lady who brunches I read your post, then answered it, then read it again more carefully after posting my reply. I guess you read my answer before I edited it-;) You were in fact asking about talk of the SAQ going on strike not the LCBO so I evidently answered the wrong question-;) Time to get my eyes checked...

2009 Jun 23
Pasta Lover - I have heard of Countryman's - so far haven't checked them out. I am actually doing this wine tour because a GF and her Hubby had the idea for this awhile back... they've been doing it for about a month now... different winery every weekend or so (go for a drive if the weather is nice). "The Man" and I liked the idea, but we've just recently got underway. Plan is the two couples will sit down eventually (perhaps at a summer BBQ), compare notes and then I'll post some info (so that it isn't all one point of view).

I can't say I am a big fan of Fruit Wines, but she did say some good things about the ones she sampled.

LWB - Like you I have no idea where the SAQ rumour came from (other than Chef Obi's comments above)... but I am taking no chances... and plan to visit the LCBO today just to pick up some vintages that otherwise will be lacking in the Cellar (part of the reason we did the reorg/ clean-up on the weekend).

2009 Jun 23
I hate standing in lines... besides which, I have about 200 bottles in my wine cellar, so I think I can weather the storm! Unlike the bus strike (where management figured they were saving money by closing up shop), I think there will be strong incentive to settle this one quickly.

2009 Jun 23
BDM - I just got back, and well there was definitely line-ups and it was still early (expect the big after work rush to happen say 5 PM thru to close). I had to laugh it felt somewhat like it does at Christmastime, and there were certainly some "bare spots" developing in places.

I picked up a couple of Malbecs from the June 20th Vintages Release, and some go-to-wines (we call House Wines) and a lot of summer sippers (Whites & Roses). Hopefully it will be over soon, but I am expecting the worst which is why the majority of my purchases were patio favourites.

Most people I saw were doing some major stocking up... whole carts full (infact we had to wait for a cart).

And "oh yeah" (pun intended) there was no Beau's, so it looks like we now have an excuse for a drive out in the country for a "Beer Run".
;-)

As a side note, the staff was cheery... familiar faces said "Hi".

2009 Jun 23
Yeah, doesn't sound like there's anything to the SAQ rumour, thank god! I luuuv living next to the border. Those poor folk in Toronto. ;)

2009 Jun 24
So, strike deadline is pushed back. But, honestly, there was no wait at all at the Richmond store last night.

2009 Jun 24
the strike has been averted
just announced on CBC

as for the SAQ thingie, it was a comment made to me in confidentiality by the (union) shop rep where I purchase my supplies

lol and then yesterday I was listening to KISSfm and it was announced that technically it's against the law to transport across the border
I know that to be true for the industry but it seems odd for personal use

anyone know?

2009 Jun 24
It is definitely illegal for individuals to transport booze across provincial borders, unless the destination province consents to it. Needless to say, Ontario does not consent, unless you do it through the LCBO monopoly. Believe it or not, this is due to something called the Importation of Intoxicating Liquors Act, passed in 1928! Here's some more info: www.theglobeandmail.com

We have some antiquated laws in Canada concerning demon alcohol, but I think this one takes the cake...

2009 Jun 25
BDM & Chef Obi - Yup totally true. Back when I was a kid (thinking it was in the 1970s), I remember that the SAQ went on strike a couple of times... and at least one of those strikes lasted quite awhile.

The Quebec Police took up points at the Quebec-Ontario Border and pulled cars over (just like they do for a Ride Program now) and searched people's cars... they actually confiscated the booze (wonder if they dumped it). Needless to say it caused quite a stir.

And while we are on the topic of Alcohol Monopolies... many people praise the fact that Quebec sells booze in depanneurs & grocery stores (which everyone would agree is far more convenient)... but in reality, the SAQ controls that as well... they do the distribution (and decide what gets sold at that level) as well as setting the price. So although it is more available it isn't any less controlled.

2009 Jun 25
I went to the LCBO on Tueday afternoon so that I would have a supply of Beau's and Growers Apple Cider, both things which I don't expect to find in the SAQ. I headed back the next day and had a laugh at the state of the store. Apparently the stockroom was totally empty and the shelves were at about half stocked levels. Almost no Italian white wine for instance, though the reds were still around. Beau's was totally gone as well, for obvious reasons.

The Alcohol monopolies, to the point of border control, are absolutely ridiculous.

2009 Jun 25
On a more personal note, all alcohol purchased for our wedding (for which we need a Special Occassions Permit from the LCBO) has to be purchased from the LCBO or the Beer Store (or be homemade). So, in short, I can't actually buy Beau's from their brewery--I have to go through the LCBO.

Very. Very. Silly.

2009 Jun 25
BDM - Re the Globe & Mail article:

I wonder how many people know this:

"...the LCBO, like most other liquor boards, offers a no-charge private order service that enables customers to source products from around the world, including Canada, with a one-case minimum, providing the winery is prepared to ship. Laudable though they are, such services typically take at least two months to source products, often longer, by which time many customers lose interest."

I for example, knew I could source Ontario wines this way, and have even on occasion sourced Australian wine this way thru a Canadian Wine Rep (Weemala Shiraz see www.ottawafoodies.com ), but I didn't know I could source BC Wine this way... because all we generally hear is "BC Wines are not available for sale in Ontario."

2009 Jun 25
I know about the possibility of ordering case lots of wine through the LCBO from BC or elsewhere, but it's no substitute for having the bottles available on the shelf locally. If I don't have the opportunity to taste a wine first, I'm not about to take a chance on ordering a whole case of it. Besides which, I love having lots of variety in my wine drinking, so I rarely buy large quantities of one particular wine. But it's good to know that if you're traveling and taste something that you absolutely fall in love with, there is at least the possibility of ordering a case after you get home. I'll be out in BC this Fall, so it could happen...

2009 Jun 26
BDM - Ya and will be a lot easier than trying to ship a case home on your own via Air Canada (or who-ever) and besides that ain't legal. LOL

2009 Jun 26
I've done the DIY thing too. In 2004, I spent some time visiting wineries in the Okanagan, and ended up accumulating enough bottles to fill 6 cases. I took them to a shipping outfit in Vancouver and had them sent home to Ottawa by, if I recall correctly, DHL. They had no qualms about accepting a shipment of booze - the contents were just labeled as "glassware" or some such. Everything arrived in perfect shape, but of course it wasn't cheap. On the next trip to BC in 2007, we settled for tucking a few bottles in our checked baggage on the return trip. Next time around, though, I think we'll just settle for imbibing the local libations while we're there, and not try to drag any home with us. Unless, of course, I fall in love with something!