Wild Foraging Tour [Events]

2009 Jun 7
We are having a summer hiking tour July 5th. learn to find and identify wild edibles especially chanterelles, porcini, berries, nutritious greens. and have fun at the same time. Jeffery Michelson will be on hand share his expertise.

2009 Jun 7
Irishgal - Regards to the Ottawa Foodies Events Wiki, I see that you have attempted to put this Foraging Event into the list there... is this an annual event? Although OF Members are always excited to hear of upcoming events, The Events Wiki currently is only a listing (Reminder Calendar) of Foodie Events that happen annually around the NCR and Ontario... all other one-offs are announced within the Forum.

2009 Jun 7
This needs more info... like where is this taking place?

2009 Jun 7
Looks like they're located just south of Kemptville, near the Limerick Forest.

2009 Jun 7
Tiana, click on this link www.freewebs.com/ggreenacres/ & check out "Wild Greens" & "Hiking" links. Not too many specifics on cost, time, etc. that I see but it sounds very interesting and might be.

2009 Jun 7
As andy just mentioned, the link he posted should get you all the details for the hike. I will be there as one of the guides for the hike. We are hoping to find alot of choice shrooms.
If your thinking of going remember the bugs in july are full on so be prepared to do battle!

2009 Jun 7
very cool!

and just to save time, here's the direct link:

www.freewebs.com

2009 Jun 8
I think it's pretty safe to say that we're going to be there with bells on. Better check my calendar first to make sure there's nothing else going on that day, though.

2009 Jun 8
Count me in too, if I don't have my kids that day!

2009 Jun 8
This is a fantastic idea. Now I just need to figure out how to sign up :)

2009 Jun 8
Maybe we'll find out a different way later on in the thread, but I just left a comment using the feedback form on their web page.

2009 Jun 8
Oh, and according to the web page the chicken's $5/lb. Usually 3-5 lb. at this point, with the roasters (6-8 lb.) being available closer to the fall.

2009 Jun 8
Call 613-258-3212 to sign up! (# for the farm)

2009 Jun 8
I really wish I could come to this, but I work every Sat, Sun 6-18hrs. I've always wanted to pick wild mushrooms. I actually went to a wild mushroom exhibit once. It was very cool.

2009 Jun 9
Confirmed! We'll be there.

2009 Jun 9
am interested
will check links and see if viable

2009 Jun 9
I will very likely be there.

2009 Jun 10
looks awesome
but would need help getting there
PM me if anyone is going and has two extra seats
will help with petrol

2009 Jun 11
I'd love to but I don't think I can :( Things are going to be positively insane for me up to July 5.

2009 Jun 12
After all my Mack Daddyness, you say no. I'm shocked! ;)

2009 Jun 12
anyone know where to find wild leeks?

2009 Jun 12
I'm not sure, but they may have all flowered by now?

2009 Jun 13
Leeks are done zym. Morels are done too :(

2009 Jun 13
So keep us posted for next year's leeks!

2009 Jun 14
will do

2009 Jul 6
So the wild foraging tour was yesterday, and it was great fun!

And I say this despite the fact that I found One. Single. Chanterelle. And a tiny one at that.

Props to Da Butcher for bringing some mushrooms from his own secret stash to keep our spirits up at the end of the tour. I gotta get me one of those portable burners.

2009 Jul 7
I was disappointed that the tour didn't have extravagant rewards. I found 3 chanterelles and another hiker found one Scaly-stalk Boletes. There were lots of Crown Coral and fawns. Mother Nature is WAY behind schedule this year. Double props to Da Butcher for our special snack. I did find more Crown Coral and Fawn mushrooms yesterday. We sauteed the fawns and will have the Coral today. I want one of those burners too. Another Hike is Scheduled for July 26th; same time, same place. www.freewebs.com/ggreenacres

2009 Jul 7
We went on Sunday’s foraging tour and found it quite interesting. The people who signed up had differing interests with most interested in hunting for shrooms, some looking for edible greens and a few interested in medicinal plants. Everybody got something of interest out of the experience I think; knowledge topped my list. I would have liked to have seen more mushrooms as most of us would have I’m sure. I join Momomoto and Irishgal in offering props and my thanks to Da Butcher for that splendid treat of pan-fried shrooms before we headed home for hot showers (I used way too much mosquito repellant though it was needed big-time), cold beers and dinner with our own mosquitoes. Thanks also to Da Butcher for all your guidance and info (including the little book you rec’d to us - I ordered it for my dd - cost me more to ship it to her than the book cost (1.67 UK pounds) so they’ll have something to reference on their weekend hikes in the Yorkshire Dales).

Kudos to Irishgal for organizing the expedition - it seems like you’re satisfying a need that exists, one that may grow for you. Also, thanks for including Da Butcher in this venture as it is a really, really good idea having someone who knows his mushrooms along for the walk. Really good.

Cheers! Andy

PS I sweated some cured chorizo and then cooked the chanterelles in the released oils with a little evoo for a little treat before dinner last night. Tasty!

2009 Jul 7
Thanks everyone! That was a blast, too bad for the "LBM" mush rush.. lol Every time someone asked me weather the mushroom was good or not, I was hoping one of you were going to show me a chanty or a big ol bull, but nope, sorry just another "LBM" Ive been out many times in the forest at and have experienced this so this is not unusual. I laugh cause I forget how many tiny little crazy mushrooms are out there. As soon as the big boys start popping that's all you see. For those of you that do not know a "LBM" is a "Little Brown Mushroom" we seen alot of these!

Da Butchers Favorite Lines of the forage

- (da butcher), "that one is better stomped than chomped my friend"

- (da butcher), "Sorry that ones better kicked than picked

- (da butcher), "Hey look a "LDM",
(Mushroom hunter), "a LDM whats that?"
(da butcher), "little dead mushroom!"

- (Mushroom hunter),"Whats this snotty stuff on the top of this log?"
(da butcher), "that's witches butter!"
(mushroom hunter), "feels neat"
(da butcher), "ya feels.... slimy"

- (Mushroom hunter), "have you ever eating roof rabbits?"
(da butcher), "roof rabbits what are those?"
(Mushroom hunter), "During the war that's what we called the stray cats living in the attic!)
(Da butcher), "...gulp.."

- (mushroom hunter) "my father told me how to tell if a mushroom is poisonous or not"
(da butcher) "oh ya hows that?"
(mushroom hunter) "you need to find a big tree to lay down against, get comfortable and eat your mushroom. Wait a hour and if your still alive, its good to eat.?
(da butcher) "cool"

2009 Jul 7
Great to hear the debriefings on this, if only to enjoy the event vicariously. Will aim to join the next outing.

btw, would this be something one could bring kids to (5-7 yrs)? Doesn't matter either way, just wondering on behalf of some friends.

2009 Jul 7
Couldn't make it out - had to pick up a few last minute things for my trip to the UK. Hopefully I'll make it out to the next one!

2009 Jul 8
Treasure (not mine) from the hunt!

itchy, there were 3 boys about 7 to 9 from 2 families on the walk and I thought they were pretty good with it. When I think of a 5 year old it would be more challenging perhaps, but could be doable, especailly if they are used to some bush-walking. The parents gotta keep in mind that we were out about 4-1/2 hours including about 45 min on a wagon and that walking in the bush can be a bit of a challenge for the kids though you can always walk around a fallen tree or get help over it (or go under it!). The skeeters were pretty wicked at times and the kids got lots of bug spray - I used some even though I hate the stuff, and wore long pants, a nylon jacket over a jean shirt and a hat.

2009 Jul 8
thanks for the follow-up, Andy!

2009 Jul 8
Okay, okay, okay - so I had the tour three days too early - lol. - look what i found in the forest today. To be honest though, everything is just starting, the next couple of weeks should explode. I have waxy caps, chanterelles, Porcini (The real KING!) and more fawns and corals. A feast for Home delivery members tomorrow. I didn't get to find the witches butter - edible too you know!