Using Up That Blasted Zucchini... [Recipes]

2008 Aug 19
Well, it's that time of year again - the time when my garden starts to produce enough zucchini to feed a small army.

Obvious uses are, of course, breads, cakes and loaves, as well as stir-fries and simple steamed/sauteed side dishes - however I've pretty much exhausted these types of recipes. I'm looking to expand with something new since we're getting pretty sick of zucchini loaves etc.

Does anyone have any spectacular and unusual zucchini recipes that I can add to my rotation?

2008 Aug 20
We made these last year and may never make Bread and Butter pickles again

Zucchini Pickles
These are a great alternative to bread-and-butter pickles which are easier to make. Very similar to B&B.
INGREDIENTS:

* 2 pounds zucchini or summer squash, sliced, about 7 cups (we used a grater)
* 2 medium onions, halved and sliced, about 2 cups
* 1/4 cup salt
* 2 cups white vinegar
* 1 to 2 cups sugar
* 1 teaspoon celery seed
* 1 teaspoon turmeric
* 2 teaspoons mustard seed

PREPARATION:
Place squash and onions in a large non-reactive pot; add the salt and enough water to cover. Let stand for 2 hours; drain well. In a 2-quart saucepan, bring remaining ingredients to a boil; pour over the squash and onions. Let stand for 2 hours. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes; pack in hot sterilized jars and seal; process according to jar manufacturer's directions or process pints or quarts for 10 minutes from 1 to 1,000 feet, 15 minutes from 1,001 to 6,000 feet, or 20 minutes above 6,000 feet in altitude.
Makes about 3 pints.

2008 Aug 20
Not sure if these types of dishes are included in the list of ones you are tired of already but...some of my favourites include:

Roasted Zucchini Soup

Stuffed Zucchini (use stale bread and parsley, or ground meat, or both and topped with cheese if you wish and serve with tomato sauce if you wish.

Ratatouille

Zucchini Fritters made with shredded zucchini, beaten eggs and flour, deep fried and served with dill yogurt.

Raw zucchini salad with the young ones that can be eaten raw. Slice them paper thin lengthwise and serve with a lemon vinagrette

Stuffed (usually ricotta) and then steamed or fried flowers(use the flowers and then you won't have so many mature zucchinis! haha)

Add them to pasta carbonara, this combo is really good. Saute them with the bacon near the beginning. I got that idea from Jamie Oliver's show where he is bouncing around his unbelievable garden.

Hope this helps a bit...

2008 Aug 20
Are the plants still flowering ?

My neighbour, who was 'right off the boat' from Calabria,Italy, brought me some fried Zuchhini Flowers (Fiori di Zucca) once.... mmmm DELISH !!!

See: ---> italianfood.about.com <---

From Wiki : "There are a variety of recipes in which the (zucchini) flowers may be deep fried as fritters or tempura (after dipping in a light tempura batter), stuffed, sautéed, baked, or used in soups."

2008 Aug 20
pan fried zuchinni flowers filled with ricotta cheese are very good!

for zuchinni, my favourite recipe: i usually put it on a pizza shell, but it is also good with fresh pasta

i know you are a cook, so here is the general idea:

- cut zuchinni into thin ribbons length wise (i use a vegetable peeler)
- lots of minced garlic.
- fresh parmesan cheese
- toasted pine nuts

- with a small amount of olive oil, saute the zuchinni with the garlic. i like my zuchinni with a bit of bite in it, so i don't cook it too long

- remove from heat, toss with toasted pine nuts and fresh parmesan cheese

serve on fresh pasta, or use a pizza topping adding more parmesan and then cooking for 10-15 minutes in the oven.

i usually add a few hot pepper flakes as well.

2008 Aug 20
I am enjoying this topic, all the recommendations sound fantastic. I'm looking at zuchinni in a whole new light... my mouth is watering!

2008 Aug 20
One idea is to make the stuffing for dolmades (Greek stuffed grape leaves), but to stuff the zucchini instead. I had this in Greece at a Greek fusion restaurant with some vegetable couscous... and it was fantastic.

My mouth still waters just thinking about it, and it's been over a year since I had the meal.

2008 Aug 20
Hey FiH! I'm making this tonight: smittenkitchen.com (hope the link works)

2008 Aug 20
Ahh zucchini flowers... use those as a stuffing in a quesadilla or pupusa (yeah, I'm lookin' at you Mousseline ;) )

Not sure if stuffing a "zuke" with cheese, herbs & breadcrumbs falls into your routine, but that's something I enjoy eating and it makes for a nice veggie meal. Tracinho has it right - zuke fritters... so addictive... so bad for you... I must have some!

2008 Aug 20
I've replaced the whole apple in my granola bar recipe with a cup of grated zuke and it turned out fantastic

ottawafoodies.com/forum/782

2008 Aug 21
One of my favourite zucchini uses is to do grate it (food processor helps), fry it till brownness in olive oil, wait for it to cool, and then use it in a frittata. I'll usually add a bit of chopped, cooked onion to this recipe, as well as some cubed feta, on top of the usual scads of parmesan.

Throw in a bottle of wine and you've got yourself a party.

2008 Aug 21
Momomoto, I love the idea of the party being me, a frittata and a bottle of wine. The wine would get invited first of course, seeing as its a necessity.

2008 Aug 21
Speaking of parties:

A few years ago, when my sister was over-run by zucchini, she fantasized about having a zucchini party - all the party foods would be zucchini based and the party "favours" handed out at the door would be several zucchinis "Thanks for coming - here's your zucchini! Bye!" *(slams door before they can protest)*.

2008 Aug 21
LwB - The wine gets invited first because you've got to have something to do while the frittata cooks.

FiH! - A zucchini party would be awesome! And zucchini chocolate cake as a dessert, naturally.

2008 Aug 21
Momomoto -But then the wine will be all gone by the time the frittata is cooked!

In Animal, Vegetable, Miracle Barbara Kingsolver gives an awesome recipe for zucchini chocolate chip cookies. So good!

2008 Aug 21
LWB - Ooooh zucchini cookies! I haven't tried that yet!

Last night I made a "scallopped zucchini gratin" from my own imagination and it turned out quite tasty. I used the same technique as I usually use for scalloped potatoes - thin slices of zucchini, layered; each layer sprinkled with smoked gouda (!), dill, butter and a little pepper. I poured a bit of milk/cream in and baked it - later I realized that I didn't need to add as much liquid as I normally would for potatoes since zucchini releases so much water when cooked; I had to drain off the liquid halfway through to make sure it wasn't too soupy! Next time I'll just add a tiny shot of cream (to give desired creaminess) and not worry about having to really add any moisture at all.

2008 Aug 22
LWB & Momomoto - Don't worry about the wine being gone early, I think I can bring a date... Something tells me I owe my friend the BIG Chilean a call.
;-)

(Momomoto, I believe you missed this wine silliness that LWB and I shared in a topic while you were on vacation, see www.ottawafoodies.com for a laugh -- ok it was a dog-day summer afternoon, and we got a bit carried away). LOL

2008 Aug 22
Food is Hot,
I love zucchini in pizza or calzone as well.

Chimi,
If only you had suggested that before last Sunday when I made all those pupusas. BTW, thanks for the recipes, I didn't get to make all of them but what I did make got gobbled up (even by the vegan....I've rescued someone back to the world of cheese!).

So...any chance Food is Hot can ship me a whackload of zucchini blossoms?