Charcoal Best Prices Best Brands [General]

2011 Apr 26
I have been using Natures own lump charcoal. On the bag says it is sugar maple hardwood. I'm new to cooking with charcoal so not sure what to pay for a large bag or even the best to use. Are there any recommendations for lump charcoal? Do briquettes taste and work better? I tried real hardwood chunks but that created allot of smoke and I don't want my neighbors calling by law on me so I think I will stick to lump with wood chips for smoke.

2011 Apr 26
Hi Ken, I find that although briquettes burn a bit more steadily and light easier, the taste of lump charcoal is far superior.

In my experience, if you start grilling or roasting over briquettes and even a few are not perfectly lit, their is a slightly unpleasant taste imparted by the briquettes as they begin to light. Lump doesn't provide that; it may be in my head I'm not sure.

Lump charcoal burns a bit hotter and is consumed a bit faster in my observation. I use Kingsford, it is nothing special but nothing wrong with it either. A chimney starter or modded coffee can is key when lighting lump, it's hard to start otherwise without using fluid.

Lump also tends to "spark" if the lid of the BBQ is left open, so be careful of anything around when you are grilling. You also have to be patient, it takes about 1 hr to get a steady, hot fire.

2011 Apr 26
The one we use is the "Royal Oak Lump Charcoal" and we tend to purchase it from Canadian Tire. For my money and the large amounts that we go through each year this is our go to fuel.

www.canadiantire.ca!-1157475249?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443279437&bmUID=1303833865791

Tip: Stores tend to stock more of this in season. In the off season it gets harder to find and becomes more expensive. We tend to stock up (buying several bags) for winter BBQing in the fall when they go on sale.

Lump Charcoal VS Briquettes: www.barbecuesgalore.ca

Previous thread on Lump Charcoal

2011 Apr 26
I've been really pleased with the Nature's Own that you're already using. It is smoky for a while when it starts off, but once the charcoal's lit it's smooth sailing.

Rather than using lighter fluid or a chimney starter I use the Big Green Egg starters. I think they're just compressed sawdust and paraffin, so they burn like nobody's business and leave no residue.

2011 Apr 27
We use the Nature's Own as well - great charcoal. We also use briquettes though - depends on what you're cooking. We use briquettes for low and slow cooking and charcoal for faster cooking - like for steaks.

As for starter, we use the Coghlan's brand fire starter sticks from Canadian Tire. 1 package usually lasts us about 3 months - just break the stick into 1" chunks to light. Works great!

2011 Apr 29
Hey, where do you all buy the Nature's Own? I'd like to try it.

As far as briquettes vs charcoal, the former stay lit longer so good for several batches, and they heat more evenly, but lump coal lights more easily (less dense). Flavour-wise, I think lump charcoal is tops.

2011 Apr 29
Bacon I.V you can get Natures Own at Capital Appliance.

2011 Apr 29
Correction: Noticed yesterday that the brand I use is actually Royal Oak rather than Kingsford.

2011 Apr 29
Great, thanks Ken. Man, the place is far. But sounds like a good store, and I might just bundle it with a visit to the west end ReStore that I just learned about. Cheers!

2011 May 13
Thanks JDK for the heads up on the Kingsford lump at Food Basics. 10lb bag still $4.99. Just picked up 5 bags. I'm thinking I may go pick up another 5 bags.

2011 May 13
Not a problem Ken V - I think you will be presently surprised on the quality and flavour as well as how quickly it heats up. A good buy in my books!!

2011 May 14
I tried out the Kingsford today and the thing I noticed is that it burnt down falirly quickly. On the positive side it lit very quickly and had a really great flavour.

2011 Aug 20
Bought some Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel Charcoal on our summer vacation and tried it out today. Lots of smoke from this charcoal. The oak whiskey barrel chunks produced a nice flavor. They seemed to burn hotter than Kingsford I had tried out.

2011 Oct 2
After a full season of using char coal I have come to the conclusion of the four types I tried Jack Daniels briquettes Kingsford briquettes Natures own lump and Kingsford Charwood the all round winner is Natures Own. It had the largest most consistent chunks burned the longest and hottest of the lump but does cost twice as much as the bargain Kingsford.

2011 Oct 2
Thanks for doing the research, Ken V! I've been using the Basques stuff exclusively for years now and am thrilled with the quality.

I buy it at Canlok Stone... has anyone found a cheaper source anywhere?

2011 Oct 3
I love the taste that lump charcoal brings, but when I am doing indirect grilling or using the dutch oven, I depend on briquettes for better control. But then, I just have a weber, not the BGE that I lust after...

2011 Oct 5
I've got a whole bunch of Maple Leaf Lump in my garage right now, both lump and Briqs...I'm pretty sure the guy at Capital told me they were the same product under different names. I'm really sold on the Maple Leaf and Home Hardware sells it year round if you run out while there is still snow on the ground.

Blubary, you might want to try the Maple Leaf Briqs, same great flavour as lump, and they don't use any chemicals to make it. Another great choice in Briqs is Wicked Good, which you can get at Romantic Fireplaces in Orleans. I burned it on long cooks in my kettle before getting my WSM...but it's not cheap and the WSM goes through fuel pretty fast.

2012 Mar 28
I was at the Nepean Costco last night and noticed Basques Natures Own on offer for $12 for a 8kg bag.

2012 Mar 28
Naked Whiz.......does a very nice charcoal revue, never ever use briquettes. Have been egging for over 10 years and I usually buy what's convenient. In the summer time Loblaws carries Royal Oak and means no extra shopping trips. Technique on the cook probably a bigger factor that brand IMHO.

2012 Mar 28
Yeah I'm with Canadian Bacon - I've tried about 4 brands now and really don't find a big difference. I'll buy what is cheapest and most convenient. Though I do still want to keep trying brands to see if there is a difference. PIcked up the stuff at Costco the other day but have not yet tried it.

2012 Mar 30
I usually use the crap one for rapid cooks and use the good one for long cooks. The basques one gets definitely way hotter than the royal oak based on my experience.

2012 Mar 30
The Basque stuff is very nice.

2012 Mar 31
I like lump for everyday grilling, Charcos for high heat steak and pizza cooks and Maple Leaf Briquettes for the smoker. I'm going to Costco Kanata tomorrow to see if I can find the Basques (its supposed to be at all Costco's in Ontario) since I left a half a bag of Royal Oak out on the deck during the rain last week. Wasn't impressed with that bag anyway...too many tiny sized pieces for my liking.

2012 Apr 1
Picked up a bunch of Basques at Costco Merivale today. Thanks!

2012 Apr 2
Great deal $10 cheaper than another store in town kinda makes you wonder what the mark up is. I have my summer supply and a cool 3 pack of flashlights. The kamado grill at Costco looked interesting.

2012 Apr 4
Ken someone on tvwbb got an email from his dealer in central Ontario about the basques at Costco:

"Dave. Basque charcoal signed a huge deal with Costco for charcoal. I can't even come close to what they are selling it for. I pay 10.95 a bag and cost me $1.11 a bag for frieght. So my cost is $12.06 a bag. ALL costco store are selling for $11.99 a bag. Sucks to be a Basque charcoal dealer right now. (that would be me and a whole lot of places in Ontario) If you have a Costco close by I would suggest going there to get some if you want to save a couple bucks a bag. Just found out the other day myself"

The manager at the Merivale store told me that they got 3 skids in last week and had to order 3 more because of how fast it's selling. I know they are all over Ontario and at least one person got it in Nova Scotia so Costco must have negotiated a hell of a deal with Basques on it.

I made some burgers with it the other night and when I get back from Nashville I'm going to buy another 4 bags to make it through the summer. It's that good. Consistent sizes and fantastic flavour.

2012 Apr 23
I just nabbed 4 bags of the stuff from Costco that everyone is raving about $12 per bag! The van smelled fantastic on the way home - I swear I could almost smell smoked meat!

I have to run out this weekend and get a shitload more

2012 Dec 22
Well I finally ran out of the stuff from Costco - where can I get lump right now? I don't feel like paying $30 / bag from the BBQ center on Carling but I guess I will if I have to. I'm happy with the cheap stuff that Superstore carries in season but I doubt they have it now do they? What about crappy tire or home hardware?

2012 Dec 22
Just got back from crappy tire on Carling. I got the last bag of Royal Oak ( $9 for 4kg so not bad) and I got 2 x 3kg bags of specialty lump (mixed hardwood in one, mesquite in the other) for $6 per bag. Also not bad. The have tonnes of the specialty stuff left, and it looks like they will probably restock the Royal Oak.

Someone also told me that Home Hardware on Wellington near Holland carries it year round but have not checked there yet

2012 Dec 22
Someone just mentioned this to me - will check to see if they stock it locally. Maple Leaf brand is mentioned above and looks like Rona carries it

www.rona.ca/en/charcoal-pieces

2012 Dec 23
Home Hardware in Hintonburg stocks several different brands of lump including Maple Leaf.

Rock on!

2012 Dec 24
Isn't the Home Hardware in Wellington West, not Hintonburg.

Doesn't Hintonburg end at Parkdale? And then west of Parkdale is a new socioeconomic zone called Wellington West ?

wellingtonwest.ca/

Hintonburg is kinda like being 'on the other side of the tracks'.

2012 Dec 24
When I typed that I knew you were going to chime in saying that Captain Caper

You are way too predictable, and no I don't want to have that discussion again

2012 Dec 24
Well I've heard people referring to the Preston neighbourhood as "West Glebe"...

2012 Dec 24
I heard New Glebe

2012 Dec 24
Does that mean I live in the 'rural Glebe'?

2012 Dec 24
To me, Vanier has always been Lower Rockliffe.

2012 Dec 24
A like the rural idyll that Beechwood Village conjures up...

2012 Dec 25
Before Wellington West got it's name, I and many others called it "The Next Glebe".

Those who heard my call, bought in early and are now seeing their property values sky-rocket. Downside is the current tax hike, upside is a tidy profit when there is a sale.

But the best upside is having all the great foodie places in the hood !

2012 Dec 25
"You are way too predictable, and no I don't want to have that discussion again"

Well that certainly begs the question. ;)

(Merry Christmas!)

2012 Dec 26
It's called 'trolling' on most sites: not contributing to the topic, but baiting another member to some depravity simply to enjoy the carnage. You can see how that would be a bad thing for a community.

When I do it, I try to insult EVERYONE in a very general sense so that no specific person feels like they've been singled out.

2012 Dec 30
It's called the Glebe annex! It was not a peaceful takeover! ;)

2012 Dec 30
Not to get back on topic or anything :)

All the home hardwares carry maple leaf year round.

2013 May 6
anyone try this stuff?? if it actually burns at higher temp...think it might be great for searing/grilling

uncrate.com

2013 May 6
If you are not getting a high enough temp your problem is with your grill or something else, not your charcoal. My needle goes up to something like 800F and I can easily wrap it around if I want ... not that I ever would but I'm just sayin' ...

2013 May 7
no sorry was just trying to say.....this product claims to last longer. I don't own a charcoal grill/BGG and if your doing low and slow i know some of you ottawa foodies run into re-stocking the charcoal issue.

2013 May 8
Saw 16lb bags of Kingsford all Natural Briqs with mesquite "flavour" at T&T on Monday for $9.99 a bag so I picked up 5 bags. Used some to cook up some burgers tonight and I was pretty impressed. Won't be my daily charcoal, but its pretty good stuff. No fillers, or starch or anything else in it.

2013 May 8
The big bags of Nature's Own ar back at Costco on Merivale for $11.99

2013 May 8
The beauty of charcoal is that you get a defined #BTU per pound. When I make charcoal at home I cook pretty much every thing right out of it and am sure you could not tell if it was oak, maple, cherry. The density is not the same as the commercial stuff as I think they leave more residue in it.

If it is not getting hot enough, try a leaf blower on it for a minute to two to get it hot ;)

2013 May 8
Krusty: ".... I make charcoal at home... "

Please share with us the method you use.

I see a few different methods on YouTube.

Is there one I can use in the city and not have the Fire Dept show up ?

Then again, if my charcoal making is not an open fire , I may be able to do it legally. Hmmmm.

2013 May 8
CC I am pretty sure you could not do this within the urban area. I need to make a few batches in the next week so will get a video of it.

I used a 55G drum with removable top. Cut a few air holes 2"x2" in the bottom. Insert wood and get a good fire going. Then put the cover on, seal the top and put dirt around the air intake at the bottom. Sometimes I put the cover partially on before fully on. The amount of smoke this thing produces will get attention you do not want. I have to place it at random places in the yard depending on wind direction. Fortunately for me, my neighbors are far enough away.

I believe the City's burn bylaw allows me to make this since the lid is on, containing the flame. Smoke is another story :)

Now I make enough charcoal for 6 months at at time so I do not have to buy it anymore. My BBQ is only charcoal.

2013 May 8
I am an equal opportunity lump charcoal user. Whatever is cheap, available, ends up in the Kamado. Kingsford & Nature's Own are regulars, along with chunks of maple, cherry and apple wood from friends.

2013 May 8
I can vouch for krustys smoke stories there are days I drive by and think his barn is on fire. As for as charcoal goes whatever is on sale or whatever my neighbor doesn't notice is missing in the morning works for me. Never noticed a taste or heat difference between any of it.

2013 May 8
I hate to disagree, but I can tell the difference in taste between different brands. Kingsford blue has a noticeable "flavour" from the borax they use to bind it, I only used it once and will never do so again.

I really like the natures own. The flavour from the sugar maple they use to make it really comes through, and you can't beat the price when you get it at Costco.

2013 May 9
I don't disagree with SS. Briquettes have additives to them. I dont mind a nice burger done on Kingsford.

Driving down the road in TX and seeing a BBQ sign with the smell of Mesquite filling the car is a delight as it is very fragrant. Depending on how you cook your charcoal and how long you let it go you can pretty much drive any flavor out of it. Being cheap and multitasking I have not tried to control how much residual flavor compounds are left in the wood and just look at it as a heat source with some flavor added. Once I see a used 4' culvert on the side of the road I will grab it for my ideal charcoal maker and have the ability for a more refined product.

2013 May 9
Yeah briquettes suck in general (accidentally bought a bag recently and decided to try them) but I thought we were talking about lump

2013 May 11
There are good briquettes out there, I frequently use Maple Leaf and Wicked Good brands which have no binders in them. It's mainly K-Blue that has a really off taste to me.

BBQ in Texas cooked over Mequite is the ultimate for me. They don't actually use charcoal, per se; they start a live fire with wood and allow it to burn to coals, then add wood to it to keep it at the desired temperature. The way the smoke flavour gets into the meat is very unique.

2013 May 11
I'll second the recommendation to use Maple Leaf briquettes.

I like them better on days where i'm trying to multi-task too many things.(usually failing too)

On slow days I prefer Nature's Own Lump.(costco price is awesome)

I find the briquettes light faster / more evenly and produce heat for a longer time.
They also stack neater in the chimney starter so I can get more in there for longer cooks.

Either one of them i'll use un-lit to extend the cooking time of an already burning fire. Just put them on top of hottest patch and let em light.

Other briquettes get a nasty taste... likely the additives.

2013 May 12
Well I've actually used one of the better brands of briquettes (will check name later today but I think it was actually Maple Leaf) and I found they work well the first time but they are not meant for relighting like lump, and there is also an incredible amount of ash from them that just clogs up the whole works and you have to give it a complete cleaning after using them versus lump where you just stir it around and let all the ash fall out into the collector.

EDIT: yup, it was Maple Leaf Forum - Briquettes

2013 May 13
Stuart,

Good info on the mesquite. I am probably worse than my dogs...when they are out all they do is sniff the air. Last time I was in TX about a month ago I recall driving down the road and could smell the BBQ in the air. Unfortunately I did not have time to stop for lunch. Next time I will and of course send you some pics :)

K,

2013 May 14
I re-burn used Maple Leaf Briquettes all the time...never had an issue. Also, briquettes do produce more ash, but they also burn consistently and for longer periods of time. When I'm doing a brisket for 16 hours I don't want to have to open the cooker to add more charcoal to it and I've never been able to burn that long on a single load of lump. The heat profile is also very high on light-up, then tapers off as it the coals are spent.

For those of you doing minion method burns (aka firing off 8-10 coals and putting them on top of unlit for longer cooks) the little utensil holders with the holes that Ikea sells can be turned into a pretty kick a$$ mini chimney on the cheap.

Also, with this type of burn its even more important not to use coals like Kingsford blue with binders in them since the most acrid taste comes off of coals being fired up.

This image isn't mine, but I made one after seeing this and I love it.