new resto for kinki / mambo owners [General]

2010 Apr 26
communities.canada.com

Since they seem to get a lot of gossip on here :-)

Taking over the old roast beef house downtown

2010 Apr 26
Pity, another place to avoid like the plague, and it's such a nice building.

2010 Apr 26
Apparently Moishe Smith of Prime 360 will be resurrecting Fridays Roast Beef House at a new location on Somerset in early May: communities.canada.com

2010 Apr 26
Ugh. This is disappointing. Another great building in a great location being snapped up by lowly money-grabbing restaurateurs completely disinterested in providing any kind of quality service or experience.

But hey, at least it'll be hopping and trendy...

2010 Apr 27
I can't wait for the website for the new restaurant to come up, and stir a lively debate on OttawaFoodies ;-)

2010 Apr 27
Mambo, Kinki, LAGO restaurant types with bars and patios as well as many pubs have a tendency to make way more money from their alcohol and late night clubbing sales than dinner service. Many places need to put more focus and thought on improving their menu and winning diners to come back.

2010 Apr 27
I am not a late night clubber and have definitely had no positive experiences with food or drink at Mambo or Kinki (haven't tried LAGO-same owners?) I'm in no hurry to try this new resto.

2010 Apr 27
Let's face it, they appeal to a certain market, so more power to them. It's just not about the food!

2010 Apr 28
Does this building have a patio? Let's hope they can do a steak better than they can do Latin.

2010 Apr 28
WC - LAGO is separate owners, not sure why grouped with Mambo & Kinki. the food isn't my fave, but their patio is great in the summer. definitely worth stopping in for their happy hour, sit out in on the patio with friends and then make your way down preston for dinner.

2010 Apr 28
I found Mambo's quite good when it first opened up. Sadly though my last 2 meals were not as enjoyable. The service was fine and my meals were not horrible, but definitely not good enough for me to want to come back to eat, but I'm with hip on their patio. I even sat up on the roof on the "couch" last time for drinks, which was fun in it's own way.

2010 Apr 28
Man, I wish a "great food" place could have done something with this amazing building!

2010 Apr 30
That's too bad :( I felt so sad when I saw that Friday's had closed down. glad to hear it will be resurrected.

About the Mambo/Kinki connection... BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

2010 Aug 4
Yes everyone, just another restaurant they will completely destroy. It's too bad.

2010 Aug 8
Isn't this a bit of criticizing a movie that you haven't seen?

Give them a chance, maybe they'll hire the right people, if they hire Steve Vardy for example would you all feel the same way?

2010 Aug 10
Definitely won't be going there. Same owner, same experience. The owner of Kinki and Mambo will never get another dime from me. On the other hand Terry, I will definitely be a regular at your restaurant...:))

2010 Aug 12
Terry: "Isn't this a bit of criticizing a movie that you haven't seen?" I think what's happening here is like criticising an upcoming movie from a known director who has exhibited remorseless tendencies. Everything points so far to a similar trend. I mean, we may get a curve from a new Michael Bay or Jerry Bruckheimer movie, but it's not very likely. :)

2010 Aug 12
Did Ron spell fusion wrong in that article? Or is Asian-Fusian a foodie term?