Do you do dishes? [General]

2009 Jun 6
Something LWB said in another post made me laugh.

I don't do the dishes at home either! I claim to have done way more than my fair share of dishes for my lifetime at work (hey!).

The man is happy with the arrangement as he gets restaurant quality meals nearly every night, and it makes me feel appreciated. He gets romance points for dishes.

So fess up - how many of you use your mad cooking skills to get out of the dishes!

2009 Jun 6
I think I have dish OCD. I do my dishes and other peoples dishes. I do the dishes and cleaning as I cook. If I have a dinner party, I do all the dishes after so that I don't have to wake up the next day to a mess of dried on food dishes or greasy water filled with soaking plates.

I have even been known to do dishes at other peoples houses when I haven't even eaten there.

I think it is a mindless way of relaxing for me. OR, I'm just crazy.

2009 Jun 6
We've got a dishwasher, so I "do" them that way

2009 Jun 6
I'm with Pan Bagnat on the OCD thing, although only at my own house. I like to minimize my use of pots and also wash by hand as I cook. My ideal meal is one where we sit down to eat and the kitchen looks as though nobody cooked a meal in it. I like to have the "dinner dishes" in the dishwasher before serving dessert and I never, ever go to bed with dirty dishes in the kitchen.

I think it comes down to a somewhat unrealistic expectation that countertops and sinks should be exclusively food-prep areas rather than a storage area for soiled dishes.

My wife and I have differing views on this, which is why we used to follow the rule that whoever cooks has to clean up their own mess. But now that she's at home full-time and cooks all the weekday meals, I have to pitch in when I can't use spending time with my kids as an excuse to get out of it. ;-)

2009 Jun 6
I try to use my cooking skills to avoid dishes but my wife's contempt for dishwashing means that I still end up doing my share. The dishwasher does also help quite a bit.

2009 Jun 6
I share your wife's contempt, Orleans. Dishwashing-ADD is what i have (in marked contrast to the boss). Still, if i had her (mad) cooking skills, i'd get out of doing them more often as well. The price to pay!

2009 Jun 6
Hunh. I think you guys need a new sink. I have a magic one. I put dishes in the sink and sometime 2 to 24 hours they transport themselves back into my cupboard spic and span :).

(... gotta go buy some flowers ...)

2009 Jun 8
I am alone im my apartment, so I do the dishes as well as cooking. Typically I wash up most of the implements/dishes used in the cooking process during the idle time when food is sauteeing or simmering. Everything in terms of dinnnerware goes into the dishwasher and I am left with only a couple significant pots at the end which actually need to me washed afterwards.

2009 Jun 8
I had a feeling when I read the title that this was about my dishwashing comment... I don't think I've done the dishes more than two nights in a row since Andrew & I have been together.

That said, I made a promise to him that this week, all week, I would do the dishes. I don't think I can do it.

2009 Jun 8
I'm another one who cleans as I cook, though more regularly than not my husband is the one with dishpan hands.

Cooking and gardening are about the only domestic things I really do. Although now that he's become a business owner too, it's getting more difficult to use the 'too busy' excuse :)

2009 Jun 8
We share responsibility, and I'm sure if we added it up we'd each be doing them about half the time.

Our single sink is the bane of our existence.

2009 Jun 12
God bless my dishwashers (both the "electric one" and the "handsome one").
:-)

More often than not the only thing I end up doing is the crystal wine glasses.

2009 Jun 12
I used to only cook, but now with a 8-month pregnant wife, I usually end up doing both =)

2009 Jun 12
Snoopy Loopy - Ahhh, Good Guy that you are!
Congratulations, by the way.

Soon you'll be able to claim the FULL title of "Chief Cook & Bottle Washer".
;-)

2009 Jun 12
Agreed, congrats Snoopy Loopy!

2009 Jun 12
i adapted the "wash dishes as you cook" i learned in school.

What i do at home is i put everything in the dishwasher as i cook, and then just start it when it's full.

It works great for me :)))

2009 Jun 12
Thanks guys! We're really excited... just have to remember to wash my hands after changing =)

2009 Jun 12
Re: hand-washing. ZOMG! I was having a conversation about hand-washing with coworkers the other day and they were going on about how everyone that comes into their house has to wash their hands and then apply Purrell before handling the baby.

It was very frustrating to listen to (I understand the merits of handwashing, but Purrell afterwards?) Sorry, needed to vent.

Congrats snoopy!

2009 Jun 12
Thanks LWB. No Purel for my baby please and thank you =) A lot of childhood allergies and whatnot can be associated with over cleanliness that we here in North America seem obsessed about. If my baby wants to play in mud and bump its noggin... go right ahead! =) ... end rant... I'm not sure if I can call it a rant wit so many smiley faces.

2009 Jun 12
I do them. So does she. Our problem is that we have a bunch of stuff that "doesn't" go in the dishwasher, and other stuff that "cant". Wood cutting boards and knives come to mind. So either way we run the dishwasher and the sink. Or we put them on the counter and our great dane "cleans" them, except the knives....

2009 Jun 12
i don't know why, but that made me think of a user on here (i won't reveal the username, no worries) who was shopping for kitchen stuff once and saw a big cutting board like they have in cooking school. She thought: GREAT!! (i'll admit, i probably would have thought so too), but then when she used it the first time, she realized it was too big to fit in the sink to wash it.

hahaha i'm guessing washing a cutting board in the bath every time would be a pain. :)

2009 Jun 12
I try so hard to do dishes while cooking, but it never pans out. When you're preparing three or four dishes at once, something's got to give, and dishwashing is it.

Besides, that's what the escueleries are for anyway, amirite?

2009 Jun 12
I also am from the school of "don't wake in the morning with unwashed dishes!" My spouse however grew up in a house of 7 people--where every 7 weeks you got to do the dishes for a whole week (note: for 7 people each meal!) He is a great chef but a terrible dishwasher...needless to say I usually do the dishes. BTW, that includes cleaning up the kitchen!

2009 Jun 13
I had a dishwasher once ..... but she left me !! Arrh Arrh Arrh

2009 Jun 13
Captain C - :-)

Hey man, we've been missing that zany sense of humour (and pics)...

2009 Jun 14
yep