Risotto? [General]

2009 Jan 16
I have this great memory from a few years back :
A chef who I worked with for many years invited me over for diner. The main dish was something I had never tried before : risotto. Using excellent cheese, wine and stock, the end result was outstanding (and I obviously had to take another plate).

---Fast forward a few years---

Tonight I'm having some friends over for diner. As a way to stay in touch, we try to have diner every two weeks and this time, I'm in charge of the main plate. Not plannig ahead, I used the first recipe I found which looked simple enough from our dear Martha.
Link : www.marthastewart.com

Since I'm not too sure about how this will turn out, I'd like to know, for future use, a good risotto recipe. Any suggestions? Also, what wine would you suggest to use?

Thanks!

2009 Mar 26
..Ok, finally posted my recipe of Red Wine Risotto on my blog!
thedogthecatandeverythinginbetween.blogspot.com

2009 Mar 26
I'm pretty new here and hadn't read this thread before today, but read it I did and can you guess what I craved for dinner? You didn't even have to think about it, did you? Mmm-hmmm. Risotto. Now seeing as how I'm the family cook and I get to choose pretty well all the time what we're going to eat for supper it's surprising that we don't eat risotto more often - it is so good and there are so many ways to knock up the flavour; however, my wife is not a fan, never has been and likely never will be =:0( You feel my pain? Oh well, damn the torpedos, she's getting risotto for supper I says, glad she's not around to hear me! So I made a butternut squash risotto flavoured with caramelized onions, squash, Crotonese cheese and sage browned butter ( recipe here ) Totally delicious but not a peep from my dw, at least not until I start talking to myself - she says if you like risotto that it's a pretty good one. =;0) Faint praise I'll take. I don't think that link is active and I can't find how to format it on the site so here is the addy: www.williams-sonoma.com

While my dd would likely say that a lemon risotto I make is her favourite, one of my favourites is Beet Risotto with Greens, Goat Cheese and Walnuts from find.myrecipes.com which may be the only risotto that my dw liked (perhaps because it has a lot more texture than most risotto). I've made it with kale, beet greens and herbed goat cheese for instance. And the colour - just look at it in the link - a glorious beet colour! And a reason for me to look forward to fall.
But first, I get the leftovers for lunch tomorrow! My lucky day!