New Openings 2014 (continued) [Events]

2014 Jun 30
(Continued from Forum - New Openings 2014 and Forum - New Openings 2014 (continued))

Drove by the Bacon Factory today and there were cars in the parking lot. It looks open for business. Has anyone tried it?

2014 Jun 30
Where and what is it?

2014 Jul 2
It's a 'burger emporium' at O'Connor and Gloucester, was a gas station or garage years ago.

They've been working on the place for a long time (I want to say well over a year?), but I don't think they opened over the weekend. I think the cars were parked there because someone realised no one was watching the lot and parking around Canada Day can be a bit hard to find.

I did see a Pepsi Sudden Service van parked there over the weekend, so they were likely getting set up, so maybe they did open? But it was dark inside when I biked by a couple of times, and I didn't see anyone entering or leaving.

2014 Jul 2
thanks for the update Flandroid...been waiting forever for this place to open!

2014 Jul 2
Another "New Openings" thread?

2014 Jul 2
Bacon Factory posted a job for line cooks on June 30

www.kijiji.ca

2014 Jul 5
Beechwood Farmers' Market is open today.

2014 Jul 6
A guy told me that the East India Company is going into the Bells Corners' Al's Steakhouse location.

2014 Jul 6
Is it possible for FreshFoodie to merge the 2 "New Openings 2014 (continued)" threads?

2014 Jul 7
AD_2 - Why?

When is the last time you've checked the 2012 New Openings thread?

2014 Jul 7
So it's easy to reference one thread instead of 2. Because the other thread is now off the first page yet there might be good info there that's still relevant. Because it's not great organization to have two threads with the same name now possibly with repeat info. Perhaps having two threads with the same name is a glitch that should be avoided, but it's not my site so I'm just asking the question.

I haven't checked the 2012 thread recently no. What does that have to do with anything?

2014 Jul 8
Holland's Cake and Shake is opening next Tuesday, July 15.

2014 Jul 8
Cacao 70 on William Street set to open by July 15. Has a location in Montreal.

www.kijiji.ca

2014 Jul 15
I want to try the Central Bierhaus which just opened in the last week. It's at 650 EarlGrey Drive in Kanata. It's supposed to be a European themed sports bar and restaurant with lots of European beers.

Who wants to try it with me?

2014 Jul 15
We walked by Cylie Artisans Chocolatiers yesterday and saw that they were closed but they reopen tomorrow, July 16, finally adding a patisserie line as had been their intention - am looking forward to that!
www.facebook.com/CylieChocolat

2014 Jul 15
The storefront on the NW corner of Sunnyside and Seneca (OOS) where EZPZ Pizza used to be, has a new temp sign up... 'BURRITO SHACK - opening soon'.

Hmm.

2014 Jul 17
As I was returning to work from my lunch break, I noticed that the Bacon Factory Burger Emporium at O'Connor and Gloucester is now open for business.

2014 Jul 18
Hello fellow foodies! I swung by the bacon factory today - they are still closed. I did, however, speak to one of the owners, and after numerous delays, it appears they will be opening next Tuesday or Wednesday. Believe you me, I WILL keep y'all posted...

2014 Jul 18
ZenKitchen to reopen July 31 under new ownership - roneade.com/?p=1808

2014 Jul 18
From the Ron Eade blog on reopening of ZenKitchen.

“This is a new company with a new owner who bought the assets.”

If you close (or bankrupt) a company, don't the back taxes go away ?

2014 Jul 18
At a guess, the new owner would have bought the name and/or assets free of encumbrances including taxes owed, unless that was factored into the price.

2014 Jul 19
Yes a bankrupt company is able to divest themselves of those types of liabilities. Look at Nortel as an example - they still owe a lot of money to a lot of people, including me. They owe me $30K that I'll never see.

2014 Jul 20
A bunch of us went out to the Central Bierhaus last night after the roller derby finals. They have 100 different European beers. Interesting, but dangerous for the North American who doesn't have a clue about what he/she is ordering. I had a wonderful Steigl grapefruit radler that was just what I needed. The beers ordered at out table ranged between $6 and $9.25 for a Grimsbergen that is a beer and a half.

We all ordered the sausage plate (each had a different sausage) and declared them delicious. The sausage comes with 3 different mustards: yellow, dijon, '3-crunch' whole seed. They couldn't tell me what the other 2 crunches were. The sauerkraut was a disappointment. Not tangy at all, barely warmed up and just kind of bland. The potato salad was nice, with bits of green bean in it. A nicely roasted bun rounded out the plate. Not a terrible meal. $12.

I got us a warm pretzel to start. It was soft and fluffy and the salt crusting was nice. Not those huge grains you often see on the pretzel you find at a fair or a deli. It was kind of different and really quite nice. Also comes with the 3 mustards. I'm surprised that the beer doesn't come with them. $8.

Some items on the menu were really quite spendy. For what is essentially a sports bar with imported beers, the menu was quite short. Not terribly surprising.

It was very busy and will probably continue to be, based on location.

The earwigs at our patio table were a big turnoff.

I give it 3 Rizaks out of 5.

2014 Jul 21
All beer should come with condiments.

2014 Jul 21
Has anyone heard about the new "Passport Cafe" opening up on Merivale Road in the same plaza as Shaan Curry House, Da Santino Italian Ristorante and Dick's Drive In Dairy? Anyone know when they plan on opening or more details on the types of food they'll carry?

2014 Jul 21
Capital City Smokehouse and Southern BBQ on Woodroffe in Barrhaven is open for limited hours and menu. We stopped in for lunch yesterday. It is going to be very nice inside when they are finished. No bar yet but the limited menu was good. I had the quarter chicken with two sides, opted for coldslaw (very good) an the corn bread (delicious). Husband had chicken fingers with mac and cheese and weg fries. He would have liked a not spicy sauce but enjoyed all. Our server was new but was trying very hard, with some experience he will be good. Looking forward to a full opening.

2014 Jul 21
wrt: Capital City Smokehouse's coldslaw

I don't have slaw very often ...
But when I do, I make sure it's cold.

2014 Jul 22
Booya! Bacon Factory is now open for business - as of NOW.
Eating there for lunch, I'll post a few choice (AAA) pix this aft.

2014 Jul 22
So I had my first trip to the Bacon factory... Opening day!

First impression was very, very good: a well-oiled machine.
Owners Tony & Robert were there, along with a very friendly & courteous staff.

The food was... in a word: fantastic.
The place is a good hybrid between 5 guys & the Works; nice outdoor patio, and a decent selection of burgers. I had the 'BF', loaded with 3 slices of back bacon, 6 slices of bacon, and shavings of proscuitto. (See pic) Add to that an interesting app (poutine-filled spring rolls), and it will make for an interesting afternoon. ;)

A little bit on the pricy side - you can't eat there for less than $20 for a burger platter, a pop, coleslaw, and Harper's tithe... but it's definitely worth the trip.

2014 Jul 22
Eegads! I was looking forward to this place, but $20 for a burger? Pass. I can get a pint of Rye Guy, fries, and a decent enough burger for less than $15 down the street at the Pump.

2014 Jul 22
"I can get a pint of Rye Guy, fries, and a decent enough burger for less than $15 down the street at the Pump."

Given that the Pump's burgers start at $13.50, I'd love to know how. You can get a burger and a pint at the Atomic Rooster for $13.75 on Wednesdays, though.

But yeah, $20 with a soda is a bit steep.

2014 Jul 22
Burger and beer lunch special, $10 plus $3 for a premium beer and fries.

2014 Jul 22
A burger patty, 3 slices of back bacon, 6 pieces of bacon, prosciutto - I like burgers and bacon but that's kinda silly.

2014 Jul 22
I kind of had the feeling that with their name, their use of bacon might be somewhat irresponsible.

2014 Jul 23
I also checked out Capital City Smokehouse. Had the ribs, potato salad and cornbread - all were delicious. The peanut butter pie was incredible. Had a great chat with both owners - everything there is made in house - fresh ingredients.

I'm looking forward to their breakfasts - chicken and waffles!

On an unrelated note - drove by Grillman's the other day and there was a for lease sign...anyone have info on this?

2014 Jul 23
"I kind of had the feeling that with their name, their use of bacon might be somewhat legendary."

Fixed that for you.

2014 Jul 24
I paid $14 for Burger, Fires, Pop combo at the Bacon Factory today (First Visit),

I preferred their burgers to The Works, BFF, Manhattans or any of the usual downtown Burger Haunts.

Just a point of clarification the Bacon Factory "Burger" doesn't actually come with a beef patty (It's extra), the regular is just a crapload of salty porky goodness. (Peameal + Bacon + Proscuitto)

I'll be back, the place was packed today, but food was pretty prompt.

2014 Jul 24
Ate there yesterday...pretty good fast food burger...8 burgers on the menu. I ordered the Emporium burger. Topping are mushroom, Sautee onions, special sauce on a brioche bun. Decent Beef patty with good flavour.

Buddy had the Jerk chicken burger wHo said it was ok.

Fries are not frozen and hand cut...they were cut a little too big Imo.

I will go back once they get their liquor license. Nice patio and close to home.

So far, World of Burger is my pick for a fast food burger.

2014 Jul 25
Wait, no liquor license yet? Damn, was hoping to pop by after work for a burg and a beer.

2014 Jul 31
According to East India Co.'s facebook page they will be opening a new location at 1993 Robertson Road where Al's Steakhouse used to be. It is expected to open this fall.

2014 Jul 31
A sandwich joint called Meat in the Middle is coming to the old Quizno's location at Bank and MacLaren. Roasted meats, carved when your sandwich is being made, looking forward to trying it.

www.meatinthemiddle.ca/

2014 Jul 31
Just wondering if anyone has been to this fairly new pizzeria? Looks interesting.www.ottawamagazine.com

2014 Aug 2
Just outside of town along Hwy 7 in Carleton Place, there's a new food truck called "Cravings". Not just another food truck, he offers the regular burgers and fries, but is selling (with good reason!) loads of pork schnitzel, and his newest hit " Caesar fries". The schnitzel has been a weekly treat for me since I found the place, I'm not one to get excited about fries, but lots of people were ordering them so I figured I'd try them, expecting it to be fries with garlic dressing on the side. Happily, I was wrong! Not sure how he does it, but the fries came with garlic and parm on them, I'm not sure how to explain how it was adhered to the fries, but it worked and they were yummy! Finally something unique in fries! Cravings is just as you come into Carleton Place from Ottawa. Tucked in the same parking lot as the Best Western Hotel. Worth the drive on a nice day.

2014 Aug 2
Ken V, I went to Fiazza last Saturday. I had the "Magik Mushroom"; it was very good. There are "create your own" options, as well as their own creations. You can modify any of their pizzas, as well. They have their own aioli and the service was attentive and fast. You order cafeteria style, pay, and then they bring the pizzas to you.

2014 Aug 5
Haven't been to Fiazza but thanks for linking the Anne DesBrisay article, she has to be one of the most excellent authors I've ever read.

2014 Aug 6
Dumpling Bowl - where Bubblicity used to be on Somerset.
menu:
www.dumplingbowl.com

2014 Aug 6
Zanadu opens tomorrow in Westboro - 101 Richmond Road! As a vegan, I'm anxiously awaiting this opening. I'm hoping it's all as good as it looks and promises with the vast menu!

www.zanadu.ca

2014 Aug 7
It says opening August 5th. I'm in !

I hope it's reasonably priced. I would eat out vegan more, but I find it gets expensive.

2014 Aug 9
We were out Carleton Place way today and stopped in to check Cravings out. I can't say I was as emamoured as sushifan was. The fries while tasty enough, were somewhat limp and I don't much like limp fries. I had the schnitzel on a bun and while the schnitzel was excellent, I did not care for the topping and the bun was a hamburger bun whereas I think it would have been much better on a kaiser or some such bun. By husband had the hamburger and thought the patty was dry and that the meat had a bit of a livery taste, so he did not particularly enjoy it. The food is very reasonably priced. The folks running it are very nice so I hope they do well.

2014 Aug 10
@Ad_2 I had to start a new thread as the other one was at full capacity and I was unable to post. That is why I named this one (continued).

2014 Aug 10
Yeah, there were two other "New Openings 2014 (continued)" threads that other people started before this one though... Anyways, this one caught on so all good. :)

2014 Aug 17
Silver Spoon Thai opened a new location on Wellington West, across from the Metro.

2014 Aug 26
Looks like Fauna is finally opening in 4 days...

www.facebook.com/Faunaottawa

2014 Aug 26
Shhhhh, you'll jinx it!

2014 Aug 26
Anne Desbrisay reports that Matthew Carmichael (El Camino) signed a lease on the old CIBC building on Sparks Street for a new restaurant to open mid-to-late 2015

www.capitaldining.ca

2014 Aug 30
Fauna is now taking reservations from Sept 3 onwards.

2014 Aug 31
Ace Mercado opened Thursday at 121 Clarence. Apparently it's an upscale tequila bar and taco place, executive chef Rene Rodriguez (from Navarra).

2014 Aug 31
...and Top Chef Canada winner! (even if it did surprise me a bit that he won). I'm sure getting that win will elevate the popularity to start. I'll be checking it out for sure!

2014 Sep 4
Asian Stars Restaurant in the same building as Denny's on Clyde.

Haven't tried it yet but I've heard good things so far.

It also has an entire vegan menu.

asianstarsrestaurant.com

2014 Sep 5
A new Vietnamese restaurant is opening in Wellington West in the spot where Chick Pea kids' clothing store recently was. This is the former spot of the wonderful Bistro Bis and later Tete a Tete. The sign says Pho Viet Taste and construction is in progress.

2014 Sep 10
Soca Kitchen & Pub opening soon on Holland.

2014 Sep 16
I heard that Farbs is closed and the space will be taken over by the chap who owned/owns Arturos. This is just a rumour so far.

2014 Sep 17
Farb's was open yesterday and today.

2014 Sep 18
'Ravens' ' opened at Sunnyside and Seneca where the dvd rental used to be.

Signs say $5 italian sandwiche, chips/drink combo. I think i've seen some signs for lebanese food too, but not certain.

2014 Sep 18
Passport Café is now open. Located on the diagonal stretch of Merivale Rd, in the same plaza as Shaan Curry House.

2014 Oct 16
has anyone tried this spot yet. Not sure how long it has been open.

soifbaravin.ca/index

2014 Oct 20
Yes, have been twice, and it's marvellous.

2014 Oct 24
My spies have told me that a 'gastropub' type operation is going in where Farb's was.

2014 Oct 25
Farb's location will be the Beechwood Gastro Pub and is slated to open at the beginning of November.

2014 Oct 28
The Belmont in Old Ottawa South... "opening soon."

www.belmontottawa.com/

instagram.com/belmont_snackbar

2014 Oct 28
That location used to be Carmen's Veranda, right?

2014 Oct 30
Cafe 327 on St. Laurent

(French cuisine)

www.cafe327.com/

327 St Laurent Blvd, Ottawa, ON K1K 2Z5

2014 Oct 30
Cafe 327?

Is this under new ownership? It has been opened for a while.

2014 Oct 30
Cafe 327 was Saint-O before ? I haven't tried either.

2014 Oct 31
It was open as Cafe 327 last Mother's Day so was wondering if ownership had changed. It was just OK, would not make the effort to go back unless it had changed.

2014 Oct 31
Looks like Zen Kitchen might be closed again. No answer. Voicemail full. Reports of locked doors.

2014 Oct 31
Predictable and sad. :(

2014 Oct 31
My wife had a terrible brunch at the 327.

2014 Oct 31
Zen Kitchen website - "We are temporarily closed, while some important maintenance issues are addressed. Please check back for updates. We apologize for any inconvenience."

2014 Nov 1
Happy Goat Coffee is expanding the café to include a bar with a liquor license. Owner Henry Assad says that the focus will be on craft local beers and food. Also possible are pop up chef nights. The industrial vibe is way cool there, and if it's half as good as his roasted beans, I'm in!

2014 Nov 3
Your suspicions of Zen Kitchen were indeed correct, it is now closed.

"Dear friends,

In case you are not aware, I am Michaël Gazier, the individual who took ownership of ZenKitchen after its sudden closure this past May.

Some of you have noticed that ZenKitchen has been closed for the past week. It is with sadness that I must report that after a significant deal of consideration, the decision has been taken to cease ZenKitchen's operations permanently.

ZenKitchen has meant a lot to me personally over the years, as a diner, as I know it has many of you. This was not an easy decision to make, nor is it the outcome that I anticipated when we attempted to revive the restaurant in July.

It is always a regretful decision when it affects the livelihood of dedicated staff members. We had a wonderful team, both front-of-house and kitchen. I am appreciative of everyone's efforts and of David Loan's to rebuild ZenKitchen. My intent is that all staff will receive their full pay to-date, and that all who qualify or come close to qualifying will also receive their legal severance pay.

I want to thank all of you for your support and patronage over the years. The restaurant industry is a tough one in which to survive. Please continue to put your support behind the remaining vegan restaurants, as well as those which seek to provide animal-friendly, vegan alternatives.

Sincerely,

Michaël Gazier"

2014 Nov 3
Nice to see a closure with so much control and fairness behind it! The restaurant industry is a tough one indeed.

2014 Nov 3
Prime 360 closed as welll

2014 Nov 3
Kind of telling where everyone is spending there eating out dollars these days.

2014 Nov 4
Where?

2014 Nov 4
Non-fancy, value for money places are the only ones that seem to be out-performing in this economic down-turn that is closing great but pricey or 'special' restaurants.

2014 Nov 4
Apparently 5% of the US population is vegetarian or vegan (don't know if it's true or not, but a few people have said that), which would create a new market for eating out.

2014 Nov 5
When I go out I like to try new restaurants, rather than spend my money on places I've been too lots. There are exceptions to that rule of course. But there's just so many interesting new places to try. Plus I travel probably 50% of my time so a lot of my eating out budget goes there.

I wonder what will go into the old prime 360 space? Was weird seeing it closed, as I walk right by it every day almost.

2014 Nov 6
Two new places on Beechwood in New Edinbugh, Red Door Provisions, specializing in preserves, and the Beechwood Gastropub. Haven't been to either yet, but will report soonest.

2014 Nov 10
Juniper has closed.

2014 Nov 10
wow. Domus now juniper

2014 Nov 10
Domus, Zen Kitchen, Prime 360, Juniper.. I'm sure we're forgetting a bunch

2014 Nov 10
"Domus, Zen Kitchen, Prime 360, Juniper.."

And we haven't entered the January to March freeze yet.

May I suggest using up any coupons and gift certificates now.

2014 Nov 11
Did anyone have any idea that Juniper was in trouble? We heard about Zen's financial issues of course, and John Taylor was quite clear about his reasons for closing Domus, but Juniper comes as a big surprise.

2014 Nov 11
Didn't the chef/owner of Juniper win $10,000 on Chopped Canada not that long ago?

2014 Nov 11
It's quiet out there.

2014 Nov 11
Norm won on Chopped, he probably threw that 10K right into the bank but when you need to do 100,000 + every month, 10K is a spit in the bucket...

It's tough right now, we just had a provincial election & we voted in the same people that cost this province half a million jobs, adding more & more hurdles to small & medium businesses all across the province. Than we elect a city council & mayor that don't give rats ass about small businesses..

Ottawa has the highest unemployment rate it's had for as long as I can remember (6.9%) considering we were always 3-4 points below the national average it's scary to think whats happening to our city..

My heart goes out to everyone @ Juniper & to everyone else that's going through tough times right now..

We're trying to stay positive but it's not easy, I think you'd all be surprised on how many well known established places are on the brink...

Terry

2014 Nov 11
Federal public service has shrunk by 20,000 over the last 5 years but oddly you don't sprinkle any blame on the Feds for the high unemployment rate in this public-service town of ours.

2014 Nov 11
The city staff, council and/or mayor sure acted quick when you wanted that bike corral removed.

2014 Nov 11
Actually Zym, I agree 100% & the ripple effects of those job losses are enormous & I don't only 'sprinkle' I would say that the Federal Gov't is the real culprit here..that doesn't change the fact that the provincial Gov't has created an unfriendly business atmosphere...

AD2, if you're trying to imply that I had anything to do with the removal of the Bike Corral you'd be wrong, it was entirely the BIA's decision, We had no input to when or where it was to be located & we had no input in having it removed..The funny thing was that no one even noticed it was gone until the paper made it into a story, 6 full days after it was removed..

Terry

2014 Nov 11
Good riddins to the ugly and unused bike rack.

What did they expect? People are now going to bike to Wellington business' because there's a new unnecessary bike rack? .... taking up prime on-street parking spots?

I'm sure they meant well, but ....

(Sorry, not on topic, but The Captain just had to, now that my dreams of what the snow plows were going to do them have been dashed.)

2014 Nov 11
Yes, and good riddance as well!

Until next year, at least ...

2014 Nov 12
As for high unemployment rate in any other city our rate would be seen as low its around 6.6% now as the other thing is many of the cuts from the public sector have gone to other sectors such as high tech in face that sector has added 15,000 jobs in the last couple years.

2014 Nov 12
Terry

The job loses are really not that bad if you look at what is going on how much the city is growing now as for why places are hurting I blame that more on the anti care agenda by some.

2014 Nov 12
What is the anti care agenda?

2014 Nov 12
Our unemployment rate doubled in 4 years, the city's largest employer isn't hiring, doesn't invest in the city it exists in & while the rest of Canada may cheer the frugal current Gov't but it hurts local businesses in a big way.

Westin Hotel has been down as much as 30% in the past 3 years, 3 hotels have closed in the downtown core. the Ritz & Hyatt are coming into Ottawa but are not building they're buying (the Market & The old National)

Part of the issue is that we've had somewhat of a boom in the restaurant industry over the past 6-8 years, every chef in Ottawa it seems wants to open their own restaurant & the pie is only so big & eventually someone is going to suffer.

It's not one single thing that's killing businesses but unfortunately we're in for a rough ride if we have another winter like last year..

Patronize your favorite places folks, they need you..

2014 Nov 12
Burrito Gringo opening up a new location soon on Merivale @ Viewmount, next to Second Cup.

2014 Nov 12
I agree with Terry and others, there are a multitude of factors contributing to restaurants closing. The federal government cutbacks, the provincial government's ineffectiveness in curbing hydro costs and not giving a sh*t about the manufacturing industry leaving the province, and the municipal government not caring about small businesses. I know that myself and my friends have cut back on going out for dinner and other activities. Instead of going out and trying new and interesting places, we have gone to restaurants where we know we love the food and we spend our money there.

2014 Nov 12
Well house prices are falling, so it's not surprising people are eating out less. This city still lives and dies by government jobs.

2014 Nov 17
I've posted here before regarding Nino's, the Italian place in the Sobey's plaza, on the corner of Trim and Innes in Orleans. The place has been there over a year, but has only been open for maybe 30 days total in that entire time. Despite the fact it hasn't had lights on for more than six months now, they added new signage back in the summer and looked to be on the road to re-opening.

Last week a big new banner is placed over the signage stating "Restaurant for Lease or Sale".

2014 Nov 17
I think that maybe they should have named it "NoNo's" instead.

2014 Nov 18
Any news on this place? It is almost comical.

bit.ly/1xj0TVF

2014 Nov 18
I think the same thing about a dozen times a month. Then I see something here about some cafe being revitalized and ready for business, and I think it's this one. What has it been, 4 years now?

2014 Nov 18
Funny Zym, I have been meaning to ask the Board about it, since I regularly walk by it. My current theory is that it is some sort of "family" business and the constant state of "almost open" allows for business transactions without any actual café business transactions.

2014 Nov 18
It has been opening soon since 2007..

I don't know all the details but a friend of mine was going to open a Gelato, espresso bar but couldn't get the guy that owns the lease to let it go..

It's pretty odd & it's a great location....

2014 Nov 18
I am also of the belief that it is a front for some sort of money laundering

2014 Nov 20
352 Preston St, opening December (optimistically), not quite Prestonburger, but close enough.

2014 Nov 20
What is opening on Preston?

2014 Nov 20
New ol' fashion burger joint on Clarence called the King Eddy to open soon.

2014 Nov 21
Re restaurant closings..ron eade had a tweet with a link to The Montreal Gazette and restaurant closures/patterns. Pretty interesting
"An insightful look why even iconic restos are closing in Montreal. Yes, Montreal. Listen up, Ottawa.
montrealgazette.com