Seeking Buffalo Mozzarella [General]

2009 Jul 31
I'm on staycation next week and my basil plants need a serious pruning.

Anyone know of a source for fresh Buffalo Mozzarella? Bonus points for far west end locations.

2009 Jul 31
I have bought the imported mozzarella from La Botega in the market. I'm sure that Nicastro's on Merivale would have it as well. Pricey, but creamy delicious.

2009 Jul 31
Don't know the west end of town, but you can find the imported kind at La Bottega, International Cheese and House of Cheese in the Byward Market...usually about 10-12$ per ball. Expensive, but admittedly worth it.

On a related note, I believe there is only one buffalo mozzarella producer in NAmerica...and they will deliver to your door. I think price works out to about 10$ a ball. I have considered it but it seems like a big investment for a caprese salad.

www.bufaladivermont.com

2009 Jul 31
I usually get mine at Nicastro's/La Bottega... They carry the pre-packaged type or fresh behind the counter...

2009 Jul 31
Hungry Hungry Hippo - Another vote for the Nicastros - Nicastro Fine Foods family chain (Merivale Road) and also the "cousin" in Kanata (if you are that far west) Pestos Deli & Fresh Pasta (funny they don't seem to have a Vendor page here on OF).

And oh ya, I believe you can also find it at Farm Boy in their huge cheese section (they keep it in the full-service deli if I recall... along with other great things like antipasto items... Hmm, this post is making me hungry I may need to get over to Farm Boy later today).

2009 Jul 31
Buffalo mozzarella is now added as ottawafoodies.com/food/744 (i think that 744 is the number).

2009 Jul 31
LWB - Yup it's 744 here is a working link... Buffalo Mozzarella - Buffalo Mozzarella

2009 Jul 31
I've seen it from time-to-time at Costco. All other locations have been previously noted.

2009 Jul 31
Be sure that you ask for the the mozzarella di bufala with the right moisture content.

2009 Jul 31
...i.e. if you're not bothered by being known as that customer. :)

Somewhat related from this time last year:
ottawafoodies.com/forum/1144

2009 Jul 31
Pestos! I never think of them, yet the few times I have eaten there were great.

Thanks everyone. I'll make a trek out this weekend.

Nicatros = Merivale Rd on the weekend.... shudder.

2009 Jul 31
Nicatros = Merivale Rd on the weekend.... shudder.

which is, in large part, why I've never been to that Nicastro's. That, and I was "raised" on Bottega sandwiches. Not raised, but I did eat them every Saturday for about a year.

2009 Jul 31
I'm pretty sure that the Nicastro's sandwiches are the exact same as the Bottega ones, i.e. delicious.

2009 Jul 31
I'm pretty sure that the Nicastro's sandwiches are the exact same as the Bottega ones, i.e. delicious.

Um. No.

At least, they're not the same as Il Negozio or Nicastro's on Bank Street. Bottega has a larger selection of toppings and of cheese, custom makes it on the spot, allows you to get two kinds of meat...oh, and they have multiple breads to choose from, including Artisan and foccacia.

Pretty sure Rocco Nicastro would view them as fighting words, Momomoto.

(For the record, DiRienzo's is my number two. But I'm never nearby.)

2009 Jul 31
I will retract my previous statement, for the time being.

Sounds like another one of several sandwich challenges that must be undertaken!

2009 Jul 31
Not so quick Momo; LWB, as an ex employee of La Bottega might have some "sandwich-blinders" on ;) That said, any reason to start a sandwich challenge is a good reason.

2009 Jul 31
might. but, only might. i started eating them long before i started at the bottega. i used to work at american eagle in rideau, and my saturday shift was 8-12:30, followed by prancing around the market for groceries and stuffing my face accordingly.

2009 Aug 2
Sandwiches: La Bottega v. Di Rienzo's - FIGHT!

As for Nicastro's on Merivale Rd, they close really early so I can never stop there after work, it's hopeless. Il Negozio Nicastro (Wellington St.) is a better bet then, but they have a lot less product selection, given their tiny size.

2009 Aug 3
jp - Nicastros on Merivale is open late on Thurs/Fri. although, i did see your other thread and 8pm might not be late enough for you :P

at the very least they are open on weekends