favourite garlic press [General]

2009 Jul 24
Anyone have a garlic press that they swear by? I need a new one and want some recommendations.

2009 Jul 24
I swear by this one:
www.garlictwist.com/

It's also really good for crushing herbs. If not that, my mother swears by Henkel's garlic press.

2009 Jul 24
Kitchenhog - By far the worlds best garlic press (lol, IMO) has got to be the one made by Pampered Chef. Over my lifetime I've owned a variety of presses, and they all fall apart. This press, is heavy duty, easy to clean (with or without the attached tool). I have read somewhere that it is one of PC's top sellers... and I can see why. It is one of the kitchen gadgets that I own that I wouldn't trade.

2009 Jul 24
What is the point of a garlic press?

2009 Jul 24
Snoopy Loopy - Although one could certainly smoosh / mash their garlic with a good wack against the back of the blade of a knife (or other implement), some folks (myself included) like their garlic minced down to as small as possible... Althogh I love the flavouring of garlic, I don't like finding recognizable bits in my meal (especially if I didn't find them on my plate, and have unfortunately bitten into one).

So to answer your question, I think it is for a more subtle flavouring.

2009 Jul 24
And for those of us who cannot mince for the life of them.

2009 Jul 24
Zyliss.

2009 Jul 24
Another reason for the garlic press is that it really releases the oils in the garlic cloves in a way that mincing doesn't do.

Bonus is that your fingers aren't so smelly either. ;-)

2009 Jul 24
A garlic press is nothing more than a torturing device used by humans on helpless garlic cloves.

2009 Jul 24
Another reason for the garlic press is that it really releases the oils in the garlic cloves in a way that mincing doesn't do.

And it's exactly this reason I swear by my twisting thing-a-ma-jig. Or, the microplane is also quite handy.

A garlic press is nothing more than a torturing device used by humans on helpless garlic cloves.
Why am I reminded of The Arrogant Worms?

2009 Jul 24
Kuhn Rikon's Epicurean garlic press.... pricey but excellent.

see it here:www.kuhnrikon.com

2009 Jul 27
F&T ; I totally agree! My Pampered Chef garlic press is probably the one gadget I could not part with. I have had mine for close to 10 years and it's still great. I even put mine in the dishwasher.

2009 Jul 27
i have the pampered chef press as well. i use it... but it totally destroys the garlic. i also have a rasp. both are good if you don't want to have any bits of garlic in your food - you just get garlic mush.

i will slice, dice, mince, crush my cloves, it all depends on what i am after in a recipe. i happen to love garlic and love seeing it in my food. my husband slices cloves and just sticks the slices in his meat for cooking.

2009 Jul 27
If you are worried about the smell on your hands without using a garlic press, just rub your hands on your stainless steel kitchen faucet - works miracles. Or if you really like garlic, just lick your hand. (now I have to watch out for the etiquette police from the other thread!)

Lost/broke my garlic press, very few times I would use it -but sometimes it is nice to get it really really fine.

2009 Jul 27
I just bought one that looks very similar to that pampered chef press. As a result I do have a spare which you are welcome to Sourdough.