Locally sourced... [General]

2009 Jun 2
Butter...

Chicken...

???

I have yet been able to find either of these locally. By that I mean, locally made butter, and locally raised chickens.

2009 Jun 2
Butter: Stirling Butter (at Herb and Spice on Wellington)is from Stirling, north-west of Belleville. Stirling also has the smallest police force in Canada.

More local would be to get Harmony whipping cream and make your own...

As for chickens? Ashton Naturals sell non-certified organic chickens, look here: www.spcottawa.on.ca
they have a lot of information on other farms in the region.

Local is a relative concept, my friend. But, then again if zymurgist gets his license to have a coop ;)

2009 Jun 2
Yes... it is I suppose =) I was really hoping to see some butter at one of the markets that I go to... especially Landsdowne... freshly churned butter... yummy. I'll check out that website.. thanks LWB.

2009 Jun 2
I don't imagine that butter is all that hard to make. It just takes a while...there's a tutorial at this website: www.webexhibits.org

I remember making butter in elementary school during a unit on "pioneers". I think the teachers mostly wanted us for child labour

2009 Jun 2
Talking about pioneers, does anyone here also have good memories of the freshly churned butter melted over the freshly baked bread at Upper Canada Village? =)

2009 Jun 2
Snoopy - I do!

2009 Jun 2
We just had this thread a few weeks ago. Search the site on "localvore"

2009 Jun 2
...or click here: www.ottawafoodies.com

2009 Jun 2
snoop loopy if you ever go to the farmers market in Ottawa South one of the stalls there (Padgeberry Farms) sells locally raised chicken.

2009 Jun 3
Talking about Upper Canada Village, the St. Lawrence Parks System reported recently (was in the Ottawa Citizen) that The Village is hurting with a downturn in tourists visits in recent years... and there are threats that it might have to close down permanently. Gosh I hope not.

Anyways, I've made a vow to do my part and visit at least one this Summer-Fall Season... looking forward to their Fresh Baked Bread, Cheese Curds, etc. Can't get any more local than things raised and produced at "the Village".

2009 Jun 7
We have free-to-roam chickens, Organically raised at our farm. i will have some ready to go next week. i can deliver FRESH. I also have a limited amount of homemade butter and cheddar cheese from whole cows milk. I sell some to my Home Delivery customers and locally but I didn't know there were others that might be interested.

2009 Jun 8
Woo-hoo! I'm in for some chicken - 1 or 2 birds please.

I'll also try some cheddar.

I live right next to the Parkdale Market if that is convenient for you.

2009 Jun 8
Wait, local organically raised free-to-roam chickens? Astounding and I will _love_ to buy some a bit later on. When is the ideal time for fresh chicken?

2009 Jun 8
I would be interested as well as soon as I know the price =)

2009 Jun 9
count me in also
again what's the $$