May Lan vs Co Cham, latest results [General]

2009 May 26
I had a deep seeded requirement for Vietnamese subs last week. So I decided to try a taste off between my favorite - Co Cham, and the newer May Lan. I ordered assorted subs at both locations, and decided to give as little input as possible, to see what I'd end up with. Here are the results:

Co Cham - asked me for my bread preference - baguette. For the first time ever, did not ask or give me hot peppers. Price - 2.25. Size bigger. Taste - still great, although I missed my hot peppers. The baguette did taste a bit stale compared to other times I've been there, but the filling made up for it, especially the pickled carrots.

May Lan - did not ask about bread, got a soft roll. (not sure if they have a baguette or not). Asked whether I wanted hot peppers (yes!). Price 3.00. Size, a bit smaller than Co Cham, both bread and fillings. Taste - pretty decent too but hit a very salty section in the middle of the sandwich (maybe the magi sauce?). The roll was fresher tasting than my baguette, but I prefer a baguette if I have the option.

The winner - for price and taste, still goes to Co Cham, but you really can't go wrong. Hopefully the baguette is fresher next time.

2009 May 26
This is a very important topic.

I think I still give the edge to May Lan for assorted, because I like their bread better and they're a bit more heavy-handed with the pork pate. That means that not being given the option of baguette or soft makes no difference to me ;)

But, at the same time, Co Cham has sardine sub. And it's hard to beat sardine sub.

My next experiment is getting the pork ball sub from both places and making them square off. In my belly.

2009 May 26
A SARDINE vietnamese-style sub? Do tell! I think I have to put that on my must try list.

2009 May 26
Mmmm! Sardines - my favourite food group! It looks like Tracinho and I will have to elbow past each other for one of those sardine subs-;)

2009 May 26
Pastal over...Off topic to be sure, but a plate of fresh, charcoal grilled sardines, fresh bread and a salad is quite possibly my favourite dish on earth...

2009 May 26
MMM reminds me of a tapas dish I had at this place in DC once ...

Momomoto make sure to report back on pork ball sub.

2009 May 26
Tracinho mmmmm charcoal grilled fresh sardines sound sooooo good! Alas my apartment isn't condusive to bbq'ing however if I knew someone that barbeques and can be suitably bribed I would be there! Now I am off to wipe the saliva off my keyboard-;)

2009 May 26
Sardines grilled over the stove in an apartment in wintertime when you can't use the BBQ = real smelly problems.

Although it still doesn't stop me. hahaha

2009 May 26
Hahaha great minds think alike! I remember going to Lapointes with a coworker a couple of years ago. She lives in Russell and since cooking is a common interest we organized a lunchtime shopping trip to the Byward market. When we walked into Lapointes the only thing she could say was "ewww it smells fishy in here!". Of course my response was "It's a fish store what do you expect!". So I am not adverse to smelling up my apartment building in the name of a fabulous dinner!

2009 May 26
Tracinho - That's why I broil my sardines in the oven instead of doing them on the stove!

As for this sardine sub, instead of the standard mayo and pate it's doused in this tomato-based sauce. Throw some squirts of sriracha in there and I'm a happy camper. I should have taken a picture of it the last time I got one!

2009 May 26
I like Co Cham better, but I always get the roll, not the baguette. If it's the guy making the sandwich, he always asks if I want peppers and I always answer "Yes, but not as many as you'd eat." How many is that? Two, apparently.

May Lan does open a half hour earlier, but this is only important if, like me, you like to eat vietnamese subs for breakfast on the weekend.

2009 May 26
I too did the same taste off
and as Mousseline mentioned, May Lan is open a bit earlier
the roll was okay
the pate a bit bland
would have preferred more cilantro and chilis (meh, 2 slices are not enough)
more expensive
did not have sardines or Nam (Thai ham)
did not cared for the tomato sauce the meatballs were in

hands down Co Cham is still my fave

well actually my own are lol but sometimes it's just easier to have someone else cook for you

on that note, reminder to self: pick up Nam seasoning and pork skin to make Nam

2009 May 27
The pate might be a bit bland if, as my daughter thinks, the pate is actually spam. Ever go to Kowloon? They have a big section of spam right close to the checkout! She says her sources for vietnamese subs confirm it is spam. I always go for other stuff (not Vietnamese subs) when in the Somerset area (you cannot get ANY asian food period where I live). Back to another thread, sorry, I haven't tried the subs myself but pate (even in Paris!), still reminded me of SPAM! Any thoughts about the origin of the pate on the subs??

2009 May 27
pate = leftover rations from Western soilders
Spam is huge in the Orient
lol in Hawaii there is Spam sushi
I know it's pureed Spam but there is Spam and there is ?spam

2009 Jul 25
bumping this...review from this morning:

"I decided to give Co Cham another shot this morning. Ah...banh mi breakfast. It was the lady making my sub this time, instead of the man I usually see there (the owner?). I got an assorted on a roll. The bread was much fresher, and she certainly layed on enough pate and mayo. This was good. My only gripe - NO PEPPERS! Damn my pale white heritage! I guess she figured I couldn't handle it. I get no respect in Chinatown I tell ya...no respect."

---

Agreed May Lan still has the upper hand even though they're a little more expensive. Really like the bread there. They also ask if I want peppers acknowledging I might not be able to handle the heat, but at least I have a choice haha

That sardine sub sounds delish. There was a big bin of what looked like Vietnamese empanadas on the counter at Co Cham. I actually looked up "Vietnamese Empanada" when I got home and found out it might be 'banh quai vac' - a meat pie! Anyone ever tried one of these? What fillings do these use there?

2009 Jul 26
Co Cham is still the best, but they seem to be less interested in the sub business since moving to their present location and expanding their menu into the pho-and-bun-sphere that has proven so profitable for so many other Vietnamese joints around town. I used to stop by on the way home on my bike and get their buy 5 and get 1 free special. I know, it doesn't sound like much of a deal but I usually finish one right on the spot and share the rest at home with my mate so any extra subs are always appreciated.

If you want to grab an after work snack, be warned that they may run out so rush on down there. I stopped by at 6pm recently and left empty handed. I didn't quite buy their story that they've run out...there is probably more profit to be made with the dinner menu since the move to the present location and they just couldn't be bothered with the subs. One other unfortunate change since diversifying from the sub business is the replacement of traditional Asian drinks such as pennywort, grass jelly, basil seed drink, coconut water and mango juice in the cooler with Coke, Pepsi, and the like. Once again, this is probably financially motivated as the price markup on cheaply sourced generic pop is much higher. Too bad as I can no longer enjoy a cooling can of basil seed drink while I wait for the subs to be made to order.

May Lan has inherited the Co Cham's former location, and the hole-in-the wall sub-shop ambiance. However, not only are their prices higher, but they also chintzed on the meat filling. At 1.5X the price and 50% the meat, I won't be going back.

2009 Jul 26
I still haven't gotten the hang of May Lan's hours. I thought they were only closed early on Thursdays, so I showed up on a Tuesday. Lo and behold, they were closed then, too :\

It's hard to decide on your favourite when one of the contenders is always closed!

2009 Jul 28
I have to agree that Co Cham loses some points for changing their drink offerings. I'm partial to the tamarind one, and it annoys me that they no longer stock it. They still have the best sandwiches though.

I feel a little sorry for the shop at Preston/Somerset for not being in the running at all. Is it still open?

2010 Mar 11
You know, I asked the Co Cham guy if he had any vegetarian subs and he said he tried offering them a few times, but there were not customers and the food went to waste. It's kind of a catch 22 - no vegetarians will eat there because there aren't any vegetarian subs.

So ask for vegetarian subs ! Maybe he will bring them back.

2013 Jun 11
There is a new contender: Pho'licious! $3 subs, and they have a loyalty program or a wholesale discount of some sort. They make the meats from scratch, apparently, and I can attest to the deliciousness - these are seriously good. If only one of these places would get wise and start offering grilled meat toppings, I think they would be a lot more popular. Plus, the rest of the food at Pho'licious is really tasty, and the service is really excellent... it is becoming one of my local fav Viet joints... will have to take a photo next time!

Edit: this is a big sub! Very good value!

2013 Jun 11
Where is it located Chimi?

Also, has anyone else tried the subs next door to Co Cham at My Hang? I usually get mine there, they know me now and make my sub exactly the way I like it with extra pâté and veggies without me having to ask :)

2013 Jun 12
I have tried My Hang, and thought it was ok, but at that time I gave Co Cham the edge. Sometimes it just depends on when you hit up the place. Pho'licious now on the radar the next time I'm down there (its on Booth). There is also Bahn Mi place on the corner of Preston and Somerset - anyone tried it?

2013 Jun 12
The Bahn Mi at Preston & Somerset is: Hủ Tiếu Mì Gia

It is ok, but I found the toppings sparse. I wasn't there to order it, so if I go again, I'll ask for more.