All You Can Eat Sushi! [General]

2009 Apr 14
I've had good experience so far with 1000 sushi islands, any recommendations for other AYCE sushi places in town?

2009 Apr 14
Well man blogs dog, i had the same question and Ichy feet recomended me some of ottawa's best sushi place, according to his friend ( which i believe is asian and loves sushi) he recommend me suisha garden ( and to go on friday's because the fish arrives on thursday).. he also told me about ichikei and toyota. He also mentionned genji, kochu andf wasabi.

enjoy!

2009 Apr 14
just a small clarification, Maize, i was answering more about "traditional" sushi restaurants, not so much about AYCE ones. So, you wouldn't want to go to Suisha Gardens for all-you-can-eat ... unless you're REALLY good friends with the chef, waitress or owner! :-)

As it happens, of the three restaurants you mentioned, i believe Totoyo does do an all you can eat and has been relatively well reviewed on this site:

ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1010

2009 Apr 15
I've been to Hockey Sushi in Kanata and enjoyed it. It's not blow-your-mind phenomenal, but a good experience overall. There was a huge selection of dishes and I enjoyed everything I tried.

2009 Apr 15
Hockey Sushi is run by the same people who run Sushi-Kan. My personal favourite of all the AYCE sushi is 1000 Sushi Islands. Sakura and Sushi-Kan aren't bad either.

2009 Apr 16
I thought Hockey Sushi was owned by the same people that owns 1000 Sushi Islands. I could be misinformed. Does anyone have solid info?

2009 Apr 16
Sorry ichy feet , i didn't really know what Ayce mean really, so i just offered him a good sushi place in ottawa

2009 Apr 16
Maize - You've probably figured it out by now, but AYCE (all caps) is the abbreviation for "all you can eat".
:-)

2009 Apr 20
I do not have any solid info, but I had heard that Kanata Sushi (in Centrum) was owned by the same folks who run Sushi-Kan. For AYCE, I tend to find lousy service on a whole but the food is more consitant at 100 Sushi Islands compared to Sushi-Kan.

2009 Apr 20
Jagash - I believe your info is correct... if you look at the OF Page for Kanata Sushi - Sushi Kanata you'll see that there is a reference to Sushi Kan in the "affiliated" line. So I'm guessing that Fresh Foodie made this link based on solid info.

2009 Apr 20
My gf and I just tried Banc Sushi on 919 Montreal Road. I rate these AYCE sushi places by service rather than food, since they seem comparable. THe service here was great! No rude aura. No Tired, hungover looking servers. Is cream is free, but states on 2 per customer. $12.99 - $22.99. Our dinner was $19.99 a person.

Hours are 11:30-3, 5-10. Weekends they do not close 3-5.

2009 Apr 21
There is a place right beside the Yangtze (Bulgogi Garden?) that has closed down and they have a sign up advertising a new AYCE sushi place that will be opening up there soon.

It will be nice having one in Chinatown. Let's hope it's good!

2009 May 26
Yeah I noticed this AYCE on Somerset as well. It looks like it will be called Yummy Sushi.

Does anyone know when it is due to open? We go out to 1000 Sushi Islands occasionally for lunch but it is too far from work and Yummy Sushi will be much closer.

2009 May 26
Banc Sushi was good when I came here with 2 others, but on another occasion when I was part of a group of 18 (birthday party) the service was very disorganised and we did not get a lot of the food we had ordered. When I asked the server to show me our order so I could tell him what our party had and had not received he claimed they had lost the sheet, and I had to argue with him a little to send us out more food. Some of our party were less vocal, and left hungry.

I wouldn't go here with a large group, and I would make an extra copy of the ordering sheet in order to keep track of what dishes are brought out.

That being said, I did enjoy the food.

2009 May 27
I have been meaning to do a report on Hockey Sushi in Kanata. We have eaten there several times and the food has always been good. I say always because we haven't always received the food we ordered. I think there is an issue with language and/or the ordering system. Regardless, everything has been tasty , especially some of the "non" sushi selections, like teriyaki, appetizers etc.
We thought we ordered edamame for 1 but it was a huge order (a large heaping bowl--quite delicious I might add). They served ketchup with the gyozo which was very strange. Just order enough on your first round, be prepared for some things not arriving, too much of others! But still good. BTW--try first on the weekend if you can. There are less crowds and the servers actually come around without being flagged--same prices!

2009 May 31
Another vote for Hockey Sushi in Kanata. We go there for lunch on weekdays (~15$) and after a few times of never being sure whether we'd more dishes coming or not, we've started to keep a second order sheet where we check off food as it comes in.

With a group it can be a bit of a challenge to order the right amount, but by paying attention a bit you can get a handle on the progress of your meal.

2009 Jun 5
Experience from Yummy Sushi (Sommerset):
The Soba and appetizers were good, maki rolls as well. Service is good, brings tea often and smiling.

However, raw fish like white tuna, salmon and mackerel not very fresh. Service not as good when you put their food in doubt. 2 of my friends had diarrhea after lunch. Bah, as I said it's all good if you stay away from raw stuffs. for those, 1000 and sushi kan are better ;)

2009 Jun 5
Tried Hockey Sushi an came away quite impressed. Clean and nice decor, pretty good and prompt service.
Freshest salmon sashimi I have had yet at an AYCE in Ottawa. Will return.

2009 Jun 5
Veronica: out of curiosity, is that photo with the hearts one that you took? or what would be the source (I would like to use it in a blog post tomorrow, but I cite all my photo finds).
Thanks!

2010 Apr 1
Just wondering if any one new prices for any of these places for the AYCE?

2010 Apr 5
Usually in the $19-$24 range; weekends are pricier; evenings are pricier. Tea is sometimes not included, usually only sushi.