Do you have any foodie goals for 2009? [General]

2009 Jan 23
I was reading some interesting goals on another site and was wondering what kind, if any, of food goals Ottawafoodies have for 2009?

Let me share mine:

1. Go for Hot Pot- have had it at home with friends but never in a Chinese restaurant.
2. Make a souffle. One of the things I have never tried.
3. Make homemade pate or a terrine. Love the stuff and would like to be able to make my own.
4. Make steak tartare at home with out giving myself food poisoning.
5. Go out for Korean food. I have intended to go for quite a while but have never managed to actually do it. I've been to several Korean owned "japanese" restaurants but that's not the same.
6. Visit one of Ottawa's higher end restaurants- I am a student, so this one will have to wait a bit.

I'm sure I'll think of a lot more, but how about you guys?

2009 Jan 24
Just graduated a culinary program, so I would like to try new and exciting things. Still on a fast food budget, but once in a while I will try new places. Any suggestions for a really great roast lamb?

2009 Jan 24
there was another thread recently highlighting resolutions (what not to do, e.g., drink less beer), but focusing on the positives:

i. to try locally: Etelier & Zen Kitchen. And, a bit further afield: Prince Edward County wines (a hold-over from last year), and in Mississauga, Hashimoto's.

ii. to get better at: bbq'ing -- some friends leaving town gave us theirs, and the truth is that i kind of suck.

iii. acquire / learn some new skill-set: this might draw on the influence of fellow O-Foodies here, such as Zym's canning / coffee roasting pursuits or Captain Caper's home distillery blueprints :)

2009 Jan 24
Off the top of my head...

1. Try Beckta for the first time (I sent my parents there for their anniversary and they really liked it).
2. Try ostrich for the first time (I know Eighteen was offering it for a while; it'll just be one of those right-place-right-time things, methinks.
3. Seek out the best beet salad in the city (so far, I award D'Arcy's with the best).
4. Eat more game meat, including red meats (this serves a double purpose for me: not only do I find it tasty, but it's healthy for me because I'm anemic and don't care much for beef).
5. Learn how to clean, gut and cook a fish (a from-the-river-to-the-table thing; the whole shebang). Anyone know of a place that would teach this?

There are more I'm sure. Pan Bagnat's home made steak tartare goal is a good idea, but I'm too chicken (no pun intended) to try that one yet. Do report back on how it turns out when you do try it though!

2009 Jan 24
I want to go to take some cooking classes this year, learn some new techniques or recipes that are outside of my comfort zone.

2009 Jan 27
Interesting topic...

1. Go somewhere in the city of Ottawa that is considered to be more "high end" (Domus or Beckta perhaps).
2. Try to find better Fish & Seafood Restaurants in Ottawa (try the Oysters at Whalesbone).
3. Finally get "into" the Wellington Gastropub (we have terrible luck with this spot).
4. Attend another Chef's or Winemaker's Dinner
5. Have some great food on the outskirts of Ottawa (Jean Albert's, The Branch, Falls River Restaurant).
6. Take another cooking class.
7. Take another wine course.
8. Organize an "activity" dinner with friends (like Urban Element or DiVino Wine Studio).
9. Get more authentic Bar-Beeee-Q in my diet (until something is found within Ottawa that probably means another trip to Syracuse's Dinosaur BarBQue)
10. Try a food that is not normally within my "comfort zone".

Haha, you'll notice I put the hardest for me to achieve at the bottom of the list!

2009 Jan 28
I'd like to get out to Murray St and Navarra, I have heard great things about both and am looking forward to checking them out.

In the kitchen I'd like to add a few dishes and techniques to my repertoire particularly confited pork belly and duck legs, cured duck breast and perhaps some more consistent breads. I also would like to expand my knowledge of Chinese,Indian and S.American recipes.

I have been tossing the idea of spit-roasted lamb around in my head...perhaps if I have an event to celebrate I will try to see how difficult and expensive something like that is to pull off.

In my (hopefully enlarged) patio container garden I hope to improve my luck with tomatoes and eggplants, I basically had very little luck last year.

RE: steak tartare I am a big fan an it is something I make myself as an occasional treat (usually with homemade fries!). Use as fresh of lean meat and eggs as possible, chop it by hand with an extremely heavy and sharp knife, and if you are brave enough, horse makes the best tartare by far.

Also you can put the chopped tartare in a chilled, oiled ramekin, then invert on a plate of greens for a nice shapely presentation.

2009 Jan 28
Thanks for the tips on steak tartare, Tracinho! I would try horse meat but where on earth could I buy it? I have seen frozen horse meat while shopping in Gatineau/Hull but one would need fresh for tartare, non?

Your photo has me drooling. Damn!

2009 Jan 29
Would a place like Aubrey's maybe have horse meat?

2009 Jan 29
PB: I agree that frozen will probably taste a bit stronger and perhaps "gamier" so I would definitely wait til you can get fresh horse or use bison or beef that you can get in Ottawa.

I usually get horse when I am in MTL at the butcher's shops in Jean Talon market...I think it is called Prince Noir.

I never see it in Ontario, perhaps someone knows where it could be procured in the city.

2009 Jan 29
I don't know if I have any foodie goals for 2009. Does the desire to drink more wine count?

2009 Jan 29
Tracinho - About the roasted lamb... don't know if you have this all sourced & organized already, but I read this recently and thought I'd pass it along.

"If you are feeling ambitious, you can rent all the equipment you eed to roast your own beast. If you buy the meat from him, for $ 150 Lauzon will rent you a manual spit, meat thermometer, cooking and carving instructions, and a phone number to call for tele-roasting advice".

Boucherie A1 60 rue Principale, Gatineau (Aylmer). Luc Lauzon at (819) 684-0524 or Boucheriea1@videotron.ca

2009 Jan 29
F&T: Thanks for the info! Now I just need an excuse to throw a Medieval feast....Hahaha

2009 Jan 29
Gosh guys, I appologize for the "multiple" posting... honest I only hit the button once. And when I tried to delete the extras it was too late. Sorry.

--- --- ---

Tracinho - Sounds great... Summer Solstice sounds like a great excuse, end of June, before the heat of July and August (assuming that everyone is coming in costume). I can even suggest some great "parklike" locations if you really want to set the mood. Sorry though I don't have any references for "jousting" entertainment... pony rides yes... Jousters no. LOL

2009 Jan 29
Momomoto - LOL, Drinking more wine is not a GOAL (for a goal has a specific destination). Drinking more "good" wine is a lifelong pursuit.
:-)
Cheers!

2009 Jan 30
Thanks for the tips. I may try with bison but with beef, filet is the cut I should use, non?

2009 Jan 30
My foodie goal is to cut out as much pre-packaged, pre-processed food as possible.

2009 Jan 30
Pan Bagnat: As you are going to chop up the meat you want something with as little fat and sinew as possible, it doesn't have to be tender. I typically use inside round for tartare.

2009 Jan 31
I am trying a new cheese every week. I found I was buying the same cheddar all the time and it was getting boring. This is a little adventure without a lot of expense (I should post this in the frugal thread too!).

So far we have tried a few different feta's(the Macedonian one was creamier so I used it for salad, the Greek was drier and made amazing saganaki). And I bought a brick of colby last week just because it was on sale and it was goo-ood. So now we will probably go through a series of colby cheeses.

I am in the middle of two big moves, so I plan many visits to the cheese shop in the market after things have calmed down a little. I'll get more adventurous in my selections then.

2009 Jan 31
delved into the regional cuisines of Mexico
perhaps visit Rick Bayless at Frontera Grill in Chicago and pick his brain on the subject

interact more with local farmers
(not easy without a car)
but have decided on implimenting a "as close to home as possible" policy at the restaurant
(anyone know of any one growing coconuts or jasmine rice in the Ottawa Valley?

use only sustainable seafood both in the resto and at home (by the way, if no one has tried Cobia, it is a must-try!) can't wait for my cobia ceviche to be ready tonight

2009 Feb 2
Momomoto, maybe drinking 'more' 'great' wine at one of our wine tastings would be a fantastic goal?!? Next one is Thursday, February 26th at 7pm for anyone else sharing in this goal. I know I think it is a great idea.
Thought I would throw a little plug in there in hopes of finding some new blood.
Cheers:)

2009 Feb 3
The 26th, you say? I'm glad you mentioned it, since I wasn't sure when the next one was and was getting antsy.

I've added it to my calendar. Come one, come all! See me in my native habitat! And now I CAN BUS AGAIN.

2009 Feb 3
Momomoto - Hang on there laddy... are you sure you'll be able to bus? Check out OCTranspo's implementation schedule www.octranspo.com

Looks like there will be limited service, and select times (some routes not on a full schedule - all day long) for quite awhile. So "getting" the bus (as opposed to "taking" a bus) is going to be a challenge until April.
:-(

2009 Feb 3
Food&Think I share momomoto's enthusiasm over the bus service! OC Transpo will in fact be reintroducing bus service starting this Saturday - yippie! Most of the routes will be operational either during rush hour or off peak hours depending on the route. (More info is available on the link you provided.) I think the last ones to go back in service are the rural routes. So lets keep our fingers crossed! While the rest of my colleagues are planning trips to faraway places I am planning "day trips" to exotic foodie destinations such as South Keys, Vanier, and Hintonburg/Westboro. I am now off to the OC Transpo website to memorize pictures of busses. They have been on strike for so long I'm not sure what they look like anymore-:)

2009 Feb 3
The only buses I ever need to take ever are 90-series, the 176, the 86, and maybe a 1 or a 7 or an 18 now and again. They all start on Saturday. Nope: I have no worries.

This is why living downtown is awesome.

2009 May 28
So, it's now almost June, almost halfway through the year.

How are the foodie goals going? I don't think I ever mentioned mine, but it was to become a better baker. Needless to say, I'm 4 cakes into a 6 cake marathon (over 6 weeks). I did however, have a near-epic fail with muffins last week (Damn you Martha Stewart!)

2009 May 28
i've dutifully avoided all mine. Still have a 7 months left, why the hurry? Everyone's terribly slothy in the winter, which seems to be still be punching.

I did watch a bunch of Iron Chef episodes, though, which was an undeclared goal. Thanks YouTube (and Monty's excel file)!

2009 May 29
Man, I have totally fallen short on mine. Came close to making steak tartare a few times.

Tried to go for Hot Pot once and thinks didn't pan out.

Now that I am working, I may get to one of Ottawa's higher end restaurants.

2009 May 29
Pan, you've got some high-bar resolutions, but nothing could be easier than going to a Korean restaurant! And student-friendly priced.

2009 May 29
My goal is proceeding nicely. If only I could get my wife on board it would make life a bit easier though :-)

2009 May 29
Well, I have been drinking more . . . so I think I'm on-track.

2009 May 29
on point