Happy Birthday President's Choice [General]

2008 Nov 6
According to Loblaw's the "Insider's Report" turns 25 this Fall, and President's Choice does so shortly thereafter.

So I ask you, are there any PC Products that you enjoy?

--- --- ---

I have personally been shopping at Loblaws for most of those 25 years. And I purchase a lot of PC products, many of which have taken over space that was once solely occupied by national brand names (Juices, Pickles, Steak Spice, Ice Cream, Crackers, Salsa, Olive Oil).

As well I enjoy a lot of their more "specialized" products that are found only at Loblaws, including:

Memories Of Sauces
PC The Decadent Chocolate Chip Cookie
PC Cheesecake

I'm not a big fan of their prepared and frozen products (like Lasagna) but I have had good results with their frozen Hors d'Oeuvres and Seafood (Shrimp Rings, Smoked Salmon).

I notice in their latest "Insider's Report" they've added a line of fancy salts - Cyprus Mediterranean - Himalayan - Fleur de Sel (might be worth checking out)

2008 Nov 6
Food&Think Great topic! It's hard to believe President's Choice is 25 years old already. I remember when those products (and the Insider's Report) were just coming out. They were a godsend at the time since I had just moved out on my own and had limited cooking abilities. I had lots of fun trying their products!

As for favourites I would say those gargantuan PC olives win hands down. I used to be a fan of the PC olive oil until the Nicastro's store in the Byward Market opened. So many olive oils to pick from! The rest, as they say, is history.

My favourite meats include their air chilled chicken and definitely their smoked salmon. The PC naans are to die for and their hot cross buns are also very good. I recently discovered the PC Splendido whole cherry tomatoes (basically canned cherry tomatoes) since they look pretty in a summer vegetable soup. I also like the PC sticky rice on the days I make stirfries. The PC Canadian white cheddar is awesome (it's the only PC cheese I like) expecially the 6 year old cheddar. I also enjoy their cracker assortments, the Belgian chocolate cookie assortment and their lemon temptation cookies. Okay I'm getting hungry now-:)

Like you I am not really a big fan of prepared products although I understand their Blue Menu frozen dinners are good.

2008 Nov 6
Pasta Lover - Hmmm, it just occured to me that this topic is more interesting than I first envisioned... now not only is everyone going to share their favourites, but it might inspire others to try some new ones.

Haven't tried the Splendido Whole Cherry Tomatoes, but I will write those down to try.

"The Man" loves their aged Cheddars, anything older than 3 or 4 years can be difficult to find elsewhere, and yet Loblaws has a 5 consistently, and we've even found a 6 and a 7 on occasion. I notice that in their new "Insider's Report" they will be featuring a 6 year old for the Holiday Season. Likewise their Cracker selection is good, and the "assorted box" is a staple at Christmastime.

Haven't tried the Naan Bread, but I buy the Hot Cross Buns every Easter, those indeed are to die for... they are as good as any bakery ones I remember as a kid.

2008 Nov 6
Food&Think It just occured to me while reading your reply that Loblaws does in fact carry the 6 year old cheddar around the holiday season (hence the comment in the Insiders Report) although the younger cheddars are available year round. And the naan breads are as good as the ones you get in most Indian restaurants.

I'm glad to see Loblaws trying some new products these days since they seemed to be stagnant the last little while. Galen Senior (Galen Weston founder of Loblaws) was experimental in introducing the Presidents Choice products and in bringing Dave Nichol aboard to promote them. I remember one year, in an attempt to introduce healthy (and possibly vegetarian) alternatives they introduced the Presidents Choice Lentil Burger. It had the same consistency and flavour of cardboard. They disappeared from the store shelves within months. Needless to say it was a flop-:) I also used to work with someone that was so hooked on those PC instant soups she used to eat the black bean flavour every single day of the week. I tried one out of idle curiosity and they are pretty darn salty. (Mind you I make alot of soups from scratch so most instant ones taste salty IMO.) Hopefully Galen Junior (who has now taken over the business) will focuss on groceries (imagine buying groceries in the grocery store!) and move away from clothes, dishes, etc. I rarely go to the grocery store anymore since I favour the outdoor markets and I hate having to walk for miles just to get to the fruit and veggie section.

2008 Nov 6
PC rocks!

I love the Memories of Kobe sauce (garlic and tamarind) with lots of fresh rosemary as a one hour maranade for a thick cut rib steak. It really pulls out the "beefiness" and the house smells glorious. Pair that with grilled tomatoes and grilled garlic corn on the cob, oh baby!

I am also a huge fan of the Vegetarian Bolognese Blue Menu Pasta Sauce as a base and the Vegetarian Blue Menu Lasagna for last minute meals. Their whole grain mustards are pretty good and I use them when recipes call for Dijon.

Back in the day, I really enjoyed their Decadent Chocolate Chip cookies. 7 seconds in the microwave, 1 minute of bliss. It has been too long my chocolately friend... if only they sold you in 2-cookie indulgence packages..... No... can't do it.... great... now I'll have to stay out of the Independent this weekend.

They get two thumbs up from me, but not everything is/was a home run. Anyone try the boneless turkey in a box (don't look at me, my wife bought it). It was t-t-t-terrible. As Pasta Lover said, the instant soups are salty. I don't like any of their deli meats or precooked sausages (ooooh, except their new all-beef ball park hotdogs, but that is an admission I probably should not have made on a foodies site).

Oh, and my 2yr old daughter loves the multi-grain ABC pretzels.

2008 Nov 6
THE GOOD

2008 Nov 6
THE BAD

2008 Nov 6
^ i lol'd

i'll echo the comments re: Memories of Kobe. great sauce and the product has been around ages for good reason.

bring back Dave Nichol!

2008 Nov 6
... and THE UGLY.

Here are the reference points at Ottawa Foodies for The Bad and The Ugly.

The Bad ----> ottawafoodies.com

The Ugly ----> ottawafoodies.com

"The name 'MiniChefs' .... does that imply that we can turn our children into mini-chefs by teaching them how to reheat PC products?

Oh Boy..."

2008 Nov 6
Memories... Misty Watercoloured Memories

Evidently, the Memories Of Sauces are one of President's Choice BIGGEST sellers of all time.

According to today's "Insider's Report" the most popular in order are:

1. PC Memories of Thailand Feiry Chili Pepper Sauce
2. PC Memories of Szechwan Spicy Peanut Satay Sauce
3. PC Memories of Szechwan Spicy Peanut Satay Sauce (Blue Menu version)

For the Holiday Season 2008, President's Choice is reintroducing 2 oldies but goodies:

- PC Memories of Fuiji Sauce (A mixture of 3 Mushrooms - Porcini, Shiitake and White)
- PC Memories of Damascus Sauce (Tangy Pomegranate Sauce)

My personal favourites are:

- PC Memories of Tuscany Sauce (Balsamic Vinegar & Fig Sauce)
- PC Memories of Shanghai Sauce (Honey & Hoisin Sauce)
- PC Memories of Dad`s Grill Sauce (Maple, Apple & Beer Sauce)
- PC Memories of Santa Fe Sauce (Smoky Tomato & Chipolte Sauce)

Between all of these I have all cuts of meat covered (Beef, Veal, Pork, Chicken, Turkey, Ham & Lamb) and Stir-frys as well.

2008 Nov 6
I like a few of their non-food products, like their PC branded kitchen knives. For the money, they're a good deal! The only other knives in that price range that are of decent quality would be Sanelli (on sale, if you're lucky).

As far as PC food products go, I like their olive oil for everyday use.

2008 Nov 6
That kids' line they came out with was a total wreck! But I'll forgive them for it because to me, they've come out with way more good stuff than bad.

I particularly appreciate their Blue Menu stuff and their wide variety of low-cal options.

2008 Nov 7
Yes, those kitchen knives are hard to beat.

There've been a lot of PC products I've enjoyed over the years, though I honestly can't think of any that I buy right now. We've moved away almost completely from shopping there. We get most of of staples from the ONFC and Mountain Path, and then the few industrialized things we do eat we tend to get from Costco since the prices are typically way better. I'm enjoying a Bagel Shop bagel right now with Hellman's mayo on it - a giant jug from Costco ;)

Though I think I'm going to try my hand at making mayo.

I bought PC brand organic chocolate bars as recently as 6 months ago, but switched to Cocoa Camino since they are in the same price range when bought from ONFC

2008 Nov 7
My brain's not working properly (blame Friday afternoon), but I'll try to work around it by naming off some of the PC things I enjoy that haven't been mentioned yet:

- PC Dulce de leche (Just as good as the stuff you get in Argentina)
- PC Thick-cut bacon (Pete talked about it a while back, if I remember correctly)
- PC Party Peanuts (They're gigantic, and salted juuust right. I'm craving gin and tonic just thinking of them.)
- PC Memories of Asiago Sauce (Tasty cheese-filled concoction)
- PC Chocolate and Black Cherry Cola (RIP; there was something so wrong, but so deliciously right about it)

Their frozen burgers are pretty decent, too, although I do prefer making them myself. And I have been known to buy their couscous now and again, although I can't for the life of me figure out if it's any better than, say, Mr. Gouda's.

2008 Nov 7
I LOVE the Szechwan Spicy Peanut Satay Sauce.

I also enjoy their line of veggie burgers (the meatless burger and the Portabello-Swiss veggie burger) and their amazing flat hamburger buns. Those buns are genius!

2008 Nov 7
Momomoto - Hmmm, I haven't tried the Dulce de Leche, but I'm thinking now that I have been missing out on something worthwhile (you are not the first to applaud it's heavenly effects, my girlfriends have been raving about this product since its introduction last year for the Christmas season).

Also you've peaked my curiousity about several other products, I haven't tried... thanks for sharing. (Not sure though if I would break down and have the Chocolate & Black Cherry Cola... so perhaps it is a good thing it has "passed on"). Otherwise, I guess I should trust your instincts in that I agree on the Couscous (easy easy easy).

Elizabeth - Veggie Burgers, I have got to look for those, especially the Portabello-Swiss one because I like a restaurant in town here who serves a version of those rather than the regular soy type. Flat Hamburger Buns? Not sure I understand, more research is needed.

2008 Nov 8
I quadruple the Naan message. They are delish! Especially the garlic and cilantro ones.

I am also a big fan of the PC Rogan Josh cooking sauce. I use half of the suggested meat, usually chicken thighs (boneless skinless, 250g), then add half a chopped cauliflower at the 10 minute mark and about a cup of frozen peas about 3 minutes before it's done. It's a great, quick, healthy dinner that we love (usually with either PC Indian Basmati, or PC Naan!).

When I really think about it, I realize that almost ALL of the processed food I buy is either PC or No Name. And a lot of the food that I buy that I don't consider (heavily) processed (meat, poultry, frozen veg/fruit, rice, pasta (I love the Blue Menu whole-wheat stuff), bread, free-range eggs, etc.)is also PC.

We shop at farmers' markets when convenient, but we can walk to Loblaws in about 15 minutes, and 3 out 4 trips we carry our groceries home in a buggy, otherwise we take a taxi. Going to a farmers' market almost always involves tediously waiting for buses or giving up and taking cabs (since OC Transpo service on weekends is so hit-and-miss).

I guess it's a good thing that I finally signed up for PC banking; from what I understand the reward points add up pretty quickly. We spend about $400 a month at Loblaws; I hope that the PC points will make a difference!

2008 Nov 9
Points do add up quickly. If you want them even more quickly still, get a PC Mastercard and pay for your groceries on it, then go straight home and pay it off on their website (if like me you aren't disciplined enough to do it otherwise). You'll get double PC points using the Mastercard

2008 Nov 10
I like quite a few PC products. But my fav has to be the CHIPS!!!
I love the Buffalo and Blue Cheese flavour and the new Tandoori BBQ.

2008 Nov 10
PC Rootbeer
It is even better than A&W. The grapefruit pop is awesome too.

PC Baguette
If they are out of the baked ones I'll ask for a few frozen ones to stock the freezer and bake 'em myself.

PC brand anything
I never buy the little appetizers but I really enjoy them at other people's parties. In a real pinch or out of curiosity I have tried the meat and Sheppard pies - I wasn't thrilled with them but for convenience food they were at least edible.

PC Christmas cookie box
The fancy one in the tin around 15 bucks. Full of crispy yummy cookies and they aren't ALL chocolate.

2008 Nov 10
OliversRock - Yes! The Frizzante (both lemon and grapefruit) are fantastic. It tastes like the kind of thing you'd see people drinking out of wine glasses on café patios across Europe.

2008 Nov 10
Momomoto: PC Burger First: Multi-Grain Buns

"Made with the goodness of 10 grains and sweetened with a touch of honey, these thin & tasty buns complement your burgers rather than smothering them. Go ahead, enjoy the meat!"

www.presidentschoice.ca

2008 Nov 10
Elizabeth - Thanks for the info on the thin buns... multigrain is a bonus. I'll be sure and check them out when hamburger season rolls around again.

2008 Nov 11
How could I have forgotten the Chocolate Granola. I'd never eat it as a breakfast cereal - but as a mid-night snack it is amazing. AND it makes the best cookies ever!

presidents-choice.com

2008 Nov 11
One of my all-time favourite PC products is back now after having been discontinued for a few years: Freezer Jam (www.presidentschoice.ca)

I started making my own strawberry freezer jam back when PC stopped making this product. Now I don't have to! ...or at least I have a contingency plan if I fail to do so.

2008 Nov 12
Fresh Foodie - I had no idea that they carried Freezer Jam (ok it won't be exactly like homemade, but I'm willing to try it), will check it out on my Loblaws visit. Thanks.

2008 Nov 12
F&T - it's pretty close to homemade (the ingredients are simple so it really should be). BTW, they used to have it next to the frozen juice concentrates and waffles rather than by the frozen fruit. I don't know if this is still the case but it struck me as potentially confusing as it could belong in either location.

2008 Nov 12
Fresh Foodie - As I said I'm willing to give the PC Freezer Jam a try. I'll let you know what I think.

As for PC products that make one drool...

Tonight I saw a commercial on Tv for President's Choice Dulce de Leche Cheesecake, they were saying that they were combining two great PC Products into one... I've had the PC Cheesecake in the past, as sort of a quick dessert (when I didn't have time to make something from scratch) and I've been impressed. Based on Momomoto's glowing praise of PC Dulce de Leche, I'm willing to try this new product (only available thru the 2008 Holiday Season). I will report back.

2008 Nov 13
Happy birthday for my side as well :-)
A bit late but still - i'm new here that is way i couldnt post this on time!
It is really hard to believe that the president's choice is already 25! No way - time is passing crazy fast!!
Don't you think so?

2008 Nov 14
Why Candy Cane ice cream of course!

2008 Nov 14
I'm a bit confused. I remember Fresh Foodie saying that Users 1 and 2 were Nobody and Admin respectively, and that User 1 was a placeholder. So, why is user 1 posting on boards?

As for PC stuff, definitely their candy cane ice cream and burger first buns, and their naan bread (in a pinch).

However, we bought their new stuffed pasta last night and tried it as a side dish. Yuck. Ew. Ugh. Never again. At least not the pumpkin ones.

2008 Nov 14
lady who brunches - the purpose of the placeholder account (Nobody) is to own any postings that were made by people whose accounts have since been deleted. I've deleted two accounts in as many days belonging to late-night spammers. The most recent was a rep hawking ceramic knives for a mail-order company in China.

I believe the posting you mention in this topic was made as a sort of declaration of legitimacy by the user, much as a clever shill might toss in a couple of reviews for unrelated vendors.

2008 Nov 14
Fresh Foodie - That's really cool, from a "I don't know much about the internets" perspective. I figured there must be a reason. Thanks!

2008 Nov 16
Fresh Foodie - The things we learn the longer we are members here boggle my mind (but thankfully not my pocketbook).
;-)

2008 Nov 16
I echo the comments of bringing back Dave Nichol and really wish that Galen Weston would stop making commercials. I have to turn the channel when he comes on, he makes me cringe. He is as interesting as a no name mini pizza. blech.

2008 Nov 17
I do NOT recommend the canned rice. Once in a blue moon we have tacos, it is my go to convenience food dinner. I like the PC kits because they contain no MSG.

I was planning on making my own rice to go with it, but I saw the can of PC mexican rice next to the re-fried beans. Since we have praised soooo many PC products on this post I thought I'd give it a shot.

Blech. Just about everything that you think could be wrong with canned rice - was.
Mushy rice, flavourless other than a hint of cilantro and a strong taste of 'can'. And it was way too wet with the salsa (which made it look like dog food).

Never again.

2008 Nov 18
I haven't touched peanut butter or jam since I picked up a jar of PC's Dulce de Leche caramel spread. Addictive, creamy-sweet goodness. Yup.