Opening 2017! [Events]

2017 Jan 10
The Nut Bowl, where Your Corner Butcher was, in the Market.

2017 Jan 12
Meatings Barbecue opens today in Orleans.

2807 St. Joseph (between Place d'Orleans and Paroisse St-Joseph).

Don't think the website has been updated with their menu (just their catering stuff) but their menu is on Facebook: www.facebook.com

Mainly takeout, small area for sit-down (20 seats)

2017 Jan 16
ottawacitizen.com

Looks like Fresco's is being replaced with the Captain's boil. That article gives a description that is so...

well it's somethign at least.

2017 Jan 16
They may not give you forks or chopsticks to eat with but they do give you plastic gloves.
Check out their instagram feed.

2017 Jan 16
Chipotle going in the Rideau Centre where the pub used to be.

2017 Jan 18
Not a restaurant but Freshco is opening on Merivale road where Target used to be.

2017 Jan 19
Mr Pretzel opened on the food court level of Billings Bridge mall.

Damn. Now I have a valid reason to go to Billings Bridge mall.

2017 Jan 19
How does Mr Pretzel compare to Auntie Anne's? Similar thing? Never heard of the former, but have had my fair share of the latter..

2017 Jan 19
Not a new opening, but Steve Mitton (former owner/chef of Murray Street) announced today that he is now working at the Kent St Whalesbone location.

2017 Jan 19
I haven't had an Auntie Anne's pretzel in a while, but based on sketchy recall, I think I give Mr the edge.

2017 Jan 27
Ichiban bakery now open in the glebe, at Fifth Ave Court.

2017 Jan 31
A new cat café will be opening in Hintonburg in the spring: ottawacitizen.com

2017 Jan 31
Do you sear and then sous-vide the cat, or sous-vide then sear?

2017 Feb 1
It's a cafe. More like what Starbucks and Bridgehead are doing. Small plates, sandwiches, purritos, empawnadas, etc...

2017 Feb 1
And Whiskas too!

2017 Feb 1
Here's hoping it won't be too purrtentious.

2017 Feb 14
Detroit Soul Food is back after a year or so of catering. Looks like you can only order from UberEats. See announcement below:

www.facebook.com

2017 Feb 14
Detroit Soul Food
Oh boy .... here we go again !

2017 Feb 14
This should be interesting... there have been a bunch of articles in the food press about a move to pure delivery 'restaurant food' businesses, working thru uber and similar.

In theory, this takes chunks of the problematic storefront costs and logistics out of the equation and boils it down to the chef responding to an order and uber getting the food to the customer asap.

And if the chef can't hold up his end - ie uber takes the order, and a driver arrives to collect the food and it is delayed, not ready, not as ordered and causes complications - the nice uber people will stop delivering his food.

2017 Feb 14
I think somethng like this makes a lot of sense for him. He doesn't have to manage a restaurant, customers, staff and kitchen. He sets the hours that he is available and cooks. The question will be if he gets enough business to pay his expenses

2017 Feb 14
"He sets the hours that he is available"

...wasn't this part of the problem on the last attempt?

If his hours are inconsistent and customers can't predictably order for delivery, this won't work out.

I agree that taking the bricks/mortar/landlord/staff out of the equation seems like a good fit, but there are still some challenges he can hopefully manage.

2017 Feb 14
I think by law the cooked food would need to be prepared in a commercial kitchen?

2017 Feb 14
Uber Eats lets you know when the establishment's food is available.

2017 Feb 14
Fulla Shawarma (of course) open where Tavola used to be on Merivale. Also it looks like the Shogun japanese place on Carling is now a Sapporo Sushi.

2017 Feb 14
OSM - he has set his business hours already.

FT - he's cooking out of Cauldron Kitchen which is a commercial kitchen.

2017 Feb 14
Yes, and he did that at the last DSF location too.
But at times didn't follow them, for whatever reason, and whether it contributed to that location closure or not, it couldn't have helped.

2017 Feb 15
Zaks Cantina is apparently going to be a thing. Essentially Zaks Diner but Mexican in the space next door to them or whatever down in the Byward Market.

Ha, and I cant wait to hear about the drama or wackiness Detroit Soul Food endures sometime in the near future.

2017 Feb 15
He's out of my UberEats range being Westboro unfortunately :(. Hopefully LeRoy proves you guys wrong this time around :).

2017 Feb 19
Nuvo Mexican Restaurant
Off Innes/Cyrville

2017 Feb 22
Uji Cafe has replaced Tutti Frutti on Rideau Street (Beside the beer store).Their soft opening started today.

2017 Feb 22
Another Clocktower on Rideau next to the Rideau Centre. They are turning into Tims, or Starbucks, or something. . . .

2017 Feb 23
"Uji Cafe has replaced Tutti Frutti on Rideau Street..."

Menu... ujicafe.ca/pages/menu
Intriguing.

"Another Clocktower on Rideau next to the Rideau Centre. They are turning into Tims, or Starbucks, or something. . . . "

Clocktower is opening, or a coffee place is?

2017 Feb 23
Clocktower, they are getting to be as plentiful as coffeee places is all.

2017 Feb 23
Hey, it could have been another shawarma place. :)

2017 Feb 23
Do you know if they'll close the Clarence location, Pete? They're getting pretty ubiquitous for sure, but two within three blocks seems bananas.

2017 Feb 23
McDonald's opening up @Bank & 5th

2017 Feb 23
Flandroid, no idea, but they also have a place on Elgin, not much further than the Clarence operation. Seems crazy to me, but who knows?

2017 Feb 24
Surprised the Glebe 'let' McD's in.

2017 Mar 2
Merry Dairy moving into the recently closed Fairmont Confectionary at Fairmont and Gladstone

kitchissippi.com

2017 Mar 3
Hintoburger moving in the late Vibe Lounge space.

2017 Mar 3
I think that spells d-e-a-t-h for Hintonburger. I'm sure the rent will be lower, but I expect that the number of clients will decrease dramatically.

2017 Mar 3
The prices are already insane for such a mediocre burger.

2017 Mar 3
Sweet Bite French Pastry is opening in the Glebe where Chocolaterie Bernard Callebaut was.

Website address posted on window is sweetbite.ca but it's not set up.

2017 Mar 10
We stopped by Meatings in Orleans last week and I absolutely loved the brisket sandwich! The brisket was smoky and tender with some lovely coleslaw and sauce on a resilient bun. Two napkiner.

2017 Mar 11
Burrito Sensei opened at Bank and Gloucester. I have been yet, but colleague went said it is good but expensive. You are given a sheet to select your ingredients from and then they assemble your sushi burrito. There are also poke bowls, which is the same set-up, but given in a bowl and not a wrap.

www.facebook.com

2017 Mar 11
Sorry - sushi burrito? That sounds gross.

2017 Mar 11
It's not a burrito - they just call it that. I think the trend started in Australia, but I have nothing to back that up. It's basically a customized hand roll - seaweed & rice with your choice of fillings, fish, extra. Larger than a traditional hand roll.

www.huffingtonpost.com

The menu is very similar to spot in Toronto: www.rolltation.com/

I'll try to take a pic of Burrito Sensei next week. I left the menu at work.

2017 Mar 11
Burrito Sensei looks amazing. Too bad the parking in that area is so lousy.

LeRoy is now on Skipthedishes which means folks like me in the west end can now order from him.

2017 Mar 11
Boston Pizza will be opening in the Glebe where the old LCBO was at Bank and Powell.

Pizza Hut will be returning to where it was before it burned down, next to the new McDonald's at Bank and Fifth.

2017 Mar 12
Go Glebe!

2017 Mar 12
pizza hut, mcD's and boston pizza!! wtf.

2017 Mar 12
Oh and don't forget the Domino's that just opened in Centretown in the old Tommy & Lefevbre building at McLeod and Bank.

2017 Mar 13
"Sorry - sushi burrito? That sounds AWESOME."

Fixed for potential awesomeness.

"LeRoy is now on Skipthedishes which means folks who dislike Uber can order from him."

Fixed for progressiveness.

"Boston Pizza will be opening in the Glebe where the old LCBO was at Bank and Powell.

Pizza Hut will be returning to where it was before it burned down, next to the new McDonald's at Bank and Fifth."

"Goodbye Glebe! "

Fixed to reflect harsh reality.

2017 Mar 13
Man, where are the protesters who protested Landsdowne when you actually need the,.

2017 Mar 13
I'm a little curious as to why Leroy would make the move to Skip the dishes...

I'm pretty sure you have to make a commitment to UBER but I could be wrong, we talked with them but Skip the Dishes seemed like a better option for us...

2017 Mar 13
Terry - I read it was because Skip the Dishes had a wider delivery area.

2017 Mar 13
I suppose that's as good a reason as any, thanks..

2017 Mar 13
Beer kegs seen being loaded into the new Royal Oak in New Edinburgh.

2017 Mar 17
I'm surprized there is no drugstore at Lansdowne, also no Sephora and how the sports store at Lansdowne does not even carry ice skates?

Last year asked about ice skates...nope. Asked this year assuming they are right beside the Canal and still no skates.

The Mcdonalds kind of ruins the look of the Glebe.
When will a Walmart be opening, that would be so convenient there-they could put it in where the winners is at Lansdowne.
great for people with no car.

2017 Mar 23
According to El Camino's Instagram account they are opening a new location in the Market.

2017 Mar 23
most likely in cornerstone.

2017 Mar 24
TACO WIN!

2017 Mar 24
"Elgin Beer Project" opening soon(?) in the old Slice & Co restaurant at Elgin and Frank.

2017 Mar 27
I have no idea what an 'Elgin Beer project' is, but i like it!

2017 Mar 27
Citizen article today says new El Camino is going where Stella Osteria was and they'll have an expanded menu.

2017 Mar 27
I bet the folks at Ace Mercado aren't too happy about this. I think El Camino will do very well there.

2017 Mar 27
Oooooo.... taco a taco!!!

2017 Mar 27
The price of a taco in this city is bonkers! But trying to sell tacos for $6 down the street from a place selling them for $4.50 seems like a poor strategy. I've not eaten at Ace Mercado and I've only eaten at El Camino a couple of times and was rather underwhelmed, spent more time and was hungrier and poorer than I should be after (finally) leaving. Are the tacos at Ace Mercado even less tasty such that they would make El Camino's worth the higher price? If so I weep for the Mexican food in this city (well I already do, it's pretty damn sad).

2017 Mar 27
Have you tried Taquieria Bonita yet?
May restore your faith.

As for the new El Camino location, i'm all for healthy competition. We'l likely get better prices and tacos as a result.

WELCOME TO TACODOME!!!!
TWO TACOS ENTER, ONE TACO LEAVES!!!!

2017 Mar 27
"Have you tried Taquieria Bonita yet?"
We have, when we first tried it absolutely restored faith that this city can have good Mexican food, something we've missed quite a bit since we moved back from the US. The food there is far better than any other Mexican place in the city that I've had.

The last few times though the service has been less than stellar and prices have gone up, though I don't think they're too high, they've definitely climbed quite rapidly. The big issue for my wife and I is that she's pescatarian and she used to love to get their mole but with the potato and carrot filling that they offer on their regular enchiladas. The last few times they won't make that substitution... no idea why, potatoes are way cheaper than chicken or beef. It's literally the same dish, just with a different sauce.

2017 Mar 27
I'd be ok with El Camino running Ace Mercado out of town to be honest. And while it's probably fine to assume the prices of El Camino will be the same between their locations, that's definitely not a given. Different location, different menu, different clientele, different _____, maybe different prices.

Just need to get Corazón De Maíz to expand their hours and voila - faith in good Mexican restored.

2017 Mar 27
Battle of the hipster tacos? I'll stick with Corazon, or Ola Cocina.

2017 Mar 28
can confirm there is supposed to be a new Clocktower opening on Rideau street, close to RC but not sure where exactly. As far as I know, there are no plans to close the Clarence street one. I thought this was kinda crazy too as there is already the one in the market, plus the new Elgin one right near the NAC. A good friend works at CT so that's how I know this to be pretty accurate.

Not sure when the Rideau Street Clocktower is opening though, but I've heard it won't be too long. I personally never go downtown so I have no idea on its progress. There's also a new CT opening in Orleans, apparently as well (at least that's further away). That'll be their 7th location! I'm kinda surprised actually that they're doing *that well* to be opening so many locations.

I second Taqueria Bonita, food is awesome and best Mexican I've had in the city. Much prefer it over Ace, El Camino etc.

2017 Mar 28
Oh good. Another pub. Just what the downtown needed.

I give Corazon a clear edge over all the Burrito/Mucho/Gringo places that tend to be good, sometimes very good, but ordinary. Corazon just nails the flavor at an authentic level. That said, I think Bonita is bestest. If i want a little funky in my taco, i go Camino.

Anyone tried 'Nuvo', just opened in the small strip mall outside Home Sense/Sears/Home Depot off Innes?

2017 Mar 28
The Clocktower on Rideau is going in where the Nestlé Tollhouse store used to be at the corner of Rideau and Nicolas. As much as I love the Clocktower I agree that our market is getting saturated with pubs. The restaurant business in Ottawa has always been that way for as long as I've been living here. There were lots of pubs for awhile then they disappeared (but are coming back) then it was sushi. I would love to see more diverse restaurants in town but in the meantime I will clearly have to do a taco taste-off!

2017 Mar 28
With the huge windows and the foot traffic i'm not surprised the CTower chain jumped on it. Too bad it wasn't something more interesting. I suspect a killer taco restau would have done well there.

Or a shawarma place. Downtown needs more shawarma.

2017 Mar 28
Clocktower Rideau location was confirmed at least a month ago when they applied for their liquor licence. There's also some media reports talking about both the Rideau location and another new one at Innes and Trim.

And as for the Mexican options in the Market - as previously noted on this website there's a place called Zak's Cantina going in at 12 Byward Market Square next to Zak's.

2017 Apr 5
For taco's in south Ottawa the food truck Mexigo Cabana is good and is cheaper on Tuesdays.

Whole Foods still has 3 taco, nachos or enchiladas for $8 and a lot of topping options and even tofu cubes with some kind of hot sauce that are quite good.

The food at Lonestar is always super fresh, but not really "mexican" or whatever....

2017 Apr 5
Speaking of tacos, this is the pork tacos and bean salad i got from the Streats Truck yesterday and it was awesome!

2017 Apr 8
Spotted on Reddit.
Chez Ahn plans to open a Vietnamese/French cafe in May at the crossroads at Sunnyside & Seneca in Old Ottawa South.

Sample menus below look very promising ;)

Lunch/Dinner: imgur.com/a/5iANR

Dessert/Drinks: imgur.com/a/iCyNb

Ratty

2017 Apr 8
Will be fascinating to see if that has staying power for that location.
Redthread and menu are encouraging.

2017 Apr 13
More on The Merry Dairy 's new home base

themerrydairy.com

2017 Apr 13
Rob's Vegan Kitchen is open at 785 Gladstone, just off Booth. Last I walked by, there was some signage in the window but wasn't totally obvious that it was open and a place. Some really yummy-looking stuff on their instagram so far:

www.instagram.com

robsvegankitchen.ca/

2017 Apr 14
There was a sign at the Rochester Pub that Fumi's is moving in. Looks like interior work is going on to clean it up. Will be nice to have Caribbean food in the neighborhood.
Fumi's African Caribbean Restaurant

2017 Apr 14
Can't say too much (because I don't know too much and because what I do know I'm not sure what is supposed to be public knowledge), but there is a new beer spot opening in the old garage beside Ragtime on Flora right near Bank.

2017 Apr 14
As in brewery, or as in beer bar?

2017 Apr 14
Guessing it's Flora Hall Brewing. No website yet but noticed it a few months ago on the Ontario Brewing website.
www.momandhops.ca

2017 Apr 14
That's the one. Mmmm beer

2017 Apr 17
Flora Hall Brewing started up their social media accounts this weekend. This is the description offered on their Facebook page (www.facebook.com):

"Flora Hall Brewing is a craft brewery, kitchen, tap room and beer shop in a heritage building in downtown Ottawa. Opening mid-June, 2017."

They are on Twitter and Instagram at florahallbeer

2017 Apr 18
That's exciting... v cool space desperately needed to be used for something awesome.

2017 Apr 18
OMG viet/french @seneca & sunnyside... working at Carleton just got exciting again for 43 seconds!

2017 Apr 19

Rumour has it there is either a micro-brewery or brew pub opening in Carp, in the grey stone building at the 4 way stop. Anyone know any details?

2017 Apr 20
Sur Lie has gone in where Murray St Kitchen was, looks like upscale casual from the menu. Not open for lunch, or I would have gone.

2017 Apr 26
La Noodle has a sign up where Chen's Dessert House used to be at the old CD Warehouse on Clyde/Merivale-- don't know if it's open yet.

2017 Apr 27
Hell. Yes. Within walking distance of my apartment.

2017 May 9
twitter.com

Elgin Beer Project opens tonight!

2017 May 12
Chez Anh, a vietnamese-french cafe is opening up on Sunnyside today. See link to their FB page below. The owner is a vietnamese immigrant in his 20's and is striving to provide authentic vietnamese food at a reasonable price. Looking forward to checking it out! He's selling Banh Mis, Pho, Fresh Rolls ect..

www.facebook.com/ChezAnh/

2017 May 12
Something called CHURROS AND DESSERT CAFE opening next to Burrito Burracho in the Market on Clarence. Paper up, work going on, mouth watering.

2017 May 13
Update: Chez Anh is delicious. Great iced coffee and pho. The pho has cut up fried dough in it, and like every fried dough I've ever had it's delicious.

2017 May 18
twitter.com

La Catrina Churros + Dessert Bar on Clarence St. opened today

2017 May 24
We have churros, I say again, we have churros!
Scramble all teams, churros are go!

2017 May 26
Oat Couture 'oatmeal cafe' opening at Bank and Glen in OOS.

2017 May 28
Good grief.

2017 May 28
Thanks for the warning. . . .

2017 May 29
Possibly for the gluten intolerant along with those of us who really, REALLY enjoy a nice steaming bowl of oatmeal.

2017 May 29
Oat Couture according to Facebook is being opened by Ben Baird and will not be just for breakfast, they show a pic of Avocado, lime, cold water shrimp, agave, fresh mint & cilantro with sriracha, and steel cut oats.

2017 May 30
"Oat Couture according to Facebook is being opened by Ben Baird and will not be just for breakfast, they show a pic of Avocado, lime, cold water shrimp, agave, fresh mint & cilantro with sriracha, and steel cut oats."

I can decide whether to be curious or horrified.... :)

2017 May 30
As long as it is not $7 or more for oatmeal...

2017 May 30
Or artisanal oatmeal. . . If it is it will definitely be more than 7$.

2017 Jun 11
I don't know if it's an opening, closing, both, or neither, but Prince Gourmet shawarma on Merivale at old CD Warehouse is now Princess Gourmet. Much like Zaki becoming Zaky, I'm sure there's a story there..

2017 Jun 11
Prince becomes Princess. Probably an accident in front of the shawarma slicing station.

2017 Jun 12
Ouch!

2017 Jun 12
Whatever you do, do NOT order the kebab.

2017 Jun 12
The owner told me the franchise agreement with Prince was a joke, royalties handed over with nothing in return. Said he wanted out, looks like he got his wish.

2017 Jun 12
Okay.. Crust and Crate is opening at Shoppers City East soon

2017 Jun 15
Beerocracy opened at Somerset and Bank st (roughly)

Link: www.beerocracy.ca/

2017 Jun 15
Anyone know much about Mad Radish opening up on Bank St at 5th Ave in the new little strip mall that was recently rebuild and where McD's is?

www.madradish.com/

Also, hearing about a new spot (The Bowl?) on Holland Ave that only has one item on their menu. Opening soon somewhere between Wellington and Scott.

Interesting times...

2017 Jun 15
The Mad Radish is a new thing started by David Segal (ex of David's Tea, ex of sitting next to my table at Murray Street during the restaurant's farewell month and ruining the evening due to him and another person at his table shouting about how awesome he is). Anyways. Ahem.

2017 Jun 15
Tavern On The Hill, opening soon

Looks like a great idea, hope they can pull it off! A seasonal patio in Major's Hill Park with food and drink.

Website isn't great yet, lots of broken links, but it explains more than this post does so that's something :) www.tavernonthehillottawa.com

Their pictures on Instagram show a bit more of what to expect and it looks promising: www.instagram.com

2017 Jun 15
The Bowl is on Holland next to Allium. The small house bldg that has been many different things. I'm not so sure how a bowl restaurant with one item on the menu will fare with the Tunneys crowd

2017 Jun 16
Tavern on the Hill opened yesterday. Killer views!

2017 Jun 16
Yeah, Mad Radish seems to be hiring, but won't say what for just yet. YOU'RE REALLY GOING TO WANT TO KNOW, THOUGH!

Maybe if I put in an application they might tell me what it would be for?

2017 Jun 16
@Rizak - i wholly endorse this plan of sending you in undercover. Proceed.

On Bank steet near Slater white paper on a front announces incoming Hawaiian Poké Bowl place incoming.

I haven't tried a poke bowl yet... part of me is sceptical about any trend that involves throwing raw stuff in a bowl and calling it something exotic, but part of me looks at this place lepokebar.com/
in Mtl and thinks yeah, i want to eat that.

Burrito Sensei apparently does poke bowls too.

2017 Jun 16
Mad Radish is also opening a location on Metcalfe at Albert where the Grand and Toy used to be.

The Indian resto in the Rideau Centre food court also serves poké bowls and they look good.

2017 Jul 3
There is a new ice cream place on Beechwood sundaeschool.ca

We only noticed it because we went for dinner at Sutherland Restaurant (which was excellent, should have taken pictures, but too eager to eat...) and this place is literally next door.

Not bad, they had about 12 ice creams/sorbets on offer, with a nice outdoor patio.

I had chocolate + dulce de leche, with salted caramel sauce.
Mrs Rat had mint choc chip in a waffle cone.

I wouldn't make a special trip to come here (as opposed to La Cigale who we'll drive across town & borders to get to), but it made for a very pleasant end to nice meal next door.

2017 Jul 4
Not to be confused with Shawarma/Poutinerie "Thee Brothers", "Two Brothers" has opened in the large restaurant space on Richmond where the oft-empty Orek's Souvlaki used to be. It is a breakfast-lunch-dinner Family Restaurant. It will be interesting to see how it does here, it's a little off the beaten path for the Westboro walking crowd but so is Kelsey's and it's usually pretty busy when I drive by. Here's a link to their facebook page with menu:

www.facebook.com

2017 Jul 5
Not sure how reliable my source is but Farm Boy will supposedly be opening a location at the Rideau Centre by the end of the year. I headed out to Merivale yesterday and popped into the Farm Boy while there. I was chatting with one of the employees there and I mentioned that I live downtown and I was certain I lived in the only neighbourhood in Ottawa that does not have a Farm Boy. That's when he informed me of the new opening. I hope it happens!

2017 Jul 6
The market has so many options for food, while Centretown reallllly needs more choice. Frustrating to hear this rumour of Farm Boy going into Rideau Centre.

2017 Jul 6
And where would it even go? They just did a huge rebuild of that mall, now they are going to fit in a new grocery store? Odd.

2017 Jul 6
It almost sounds like one of the big tentpoles is going to close suddenly.

2017 Jul 6
Proletariat Kitchen is now open on Holland, half-a-block from Tunney's Pasture. They took over the food "truck" that used to be Flapjacks and then $5 Sandwich.

2017 Jul 6
Here is their menu.

2017 Jul 6
A quick picture of my pelmeni and sour cherry nectar. Very tasty and a good amount for $10.

2017 Jul 6
AD_2 I was also wondering where a Farm Boy would go. Back in the day when Market Fresh was around they had a store in the St. Laurent shopping centre and business was good. If Farm Boy can make it work I hope they can find space somewhere downtown. I'm tired of busing it to the burbs to get to new and interesting stores. Unless someone's lease is ending and won't be renewing? It would be interesting to see where/if they end up in the Rideau Centre.

2017 Jul 6
I found that small grocery stores that focus on prepared foods are very welcome in transit hubs for the busy commuter. I see them full all the time in London. I would ACTUALLY go to the Rideau Centre if they had a Mark's and Spencer. 😀

2017 Jul 6
I love the M&S in tube stations in London and is even okay with Tesco mini store formats.

Sounds like something large is going to close..

2017 Jul 6
I doubt it's likely M&S will open in the Rideau Centre or anywhere else in Ottawa. They had stores all across Canada from the late 70s IIRC until the early 90s but closed due to declining sales. I worked in the Sparks Street location for awhile and I loved that store but with so many competing retailers it's a tough business and the M&S brand isn't as well known in Canada as in the UK.

2017 Jul 7
Can confirm that the Farm Boy Rideau Centre location is going ahead. Can't say where in the mall it will be but the project is out for tender now.

2017 Jul 7
Tree Pug, I agree.
In all of the newer FB I've been to, it seems that there is almost as much space devoted to their take out and prepared foods areas as to their traditional offerings (slight hyberbole, but you get the drift).
It may be that they see the value in a location that primarily features prepared take home meals and salad bars. Wouldn't require as much space, so it could go almost anywhere.

2017 Jul 7
Heck, they already have a full premade thing already. At the Canadian Tire Centre. (Yes really, and yes, it's good)

2017 Jul 8
The Sobey's on Metcalfe uses a similar model of mostly take out and veggie and fruit trays near the front of the store and the actual grocery items seem to be relegated to the back of the store. They seem to be taking full advantage of being on the main floor of an apartment style condo and lots of apartments nearby. Lots of young urban professionals in the area with disposable income.

2017 Jul 9
La Noodle on Clyde is open. Till 10:30 most nights and 12:30 on weekends. Cash only for now.

2017 Jul 10
The place that used to house Luigi Panini (same mall as Merivale Fish Market) has been taken over by a pizza/Lebanese pie joint called (SURPRISINGLY) Pizza & Pie. Will have to try it out and report back...I wonder if they'd just deliver Lebanese pies to me? I'm sure that I could eat enough to make it worth the trip ;)

2017 Jul 10
The Mad Radish in the Glebe isn't open yet but has an ominous sign of the future - it will take debit or credit, but no cash.

2017 Jul 11
What the what?

2017 Jul 11
I am noticing that many self serve checkouts are 'cash free' now, like that's a bonus.

2017 Jul 11
Sounds like something is opening up in the Canadian Rug Traders spot at 115 Clarence St in The Market.

"Headquarters" is what I heard its being called. No idea what the deal is.

2017 Jul 11
"it will take debit or credit, but no cash"

They can do that? ...refuse to accept cash?

2017 Jul 11
My inner distrustful cynic is thinking that this is a way for them to make sure staff isn't pocketing cash/better reporting of tips?

2017 Jul 11
La Ha Tacos on Youville Dr in Orleans. Trailer serving up traditional Mexican style tacos - These were really good!

al pastor (pork), carne asada (flank steak), fish (awesome beer batter) and chicken (which I though would be boring but was awesome!)

Also serving homemade horchata, jamaica and watermelon juice.

Picnic tables and tent on site.

Prices ranged from $7-$10 for 3 loaded tacos.

Open from 11:30-7pm

(sorry I forgot pics.)

2017 Jul 11
Subito Sandwich on Gladstone near Bank (where a tailor used to be). I took this picture a couple of weeks ago, and the paper is now down in the window, but you can see quite a bit more work needs to be done. The sandwich may be subito, but the construction is not.

2017 Jul 11
Subito Sandwich on Gladstone near Bank (where a tailor used to be). I took this picture a couple of weeks ago, and the paper is now down in the window, but you can see quite a bit more work needs to be done. The sandwich may be subito, but the construction is not.

2017 Jul 11
Africa Slow Food on Bronson north of Gladstone (where a Greek restaurant used to be).

2017 Jul 11
Africa Slow Food on Bronson north of Gladstone (where a Greek restaurant used to be).

2017 Jul 11
"They can do that? ...refuse to accept cash?"

Sure, why not? A business is free to accept or refuse any form of payment they like. The only time legal tender can't be refused is in repayment of an already existing debt unless contractually stipulated for some reason.

2017 Jul 11
I am noticing that many self serve checkouts are 'cash free' now, like that's a bonus.

2017 Jul 11
I am a dinosaur but if it's under $20 I only pay cash. And I don't do self serve checkouts-I like contact with people since I work at home!

2017 Jul 12
There seems to be a new hot pot restaurant opening up beside T & T. Glanced and saw it quickly. Anyone have any info on this?

2017 Jul 12
Am all in for more African food - i hope that Bronson/Gladstone place is amazing.

Will watch for further reports re La Ha Tacos. Orleans is way off my usual flight paths but i might make the voyage for excellent tacos - it's not radically further than Bonita or Kulkulkan.

That reminds me... I see a 'Yakko Takko' food truck parked in a lot on Bank near Farmteam pub in the Glebe. All i can find online is a barely active facebook page (last post was Mar 2016) and some references to it coming in "Springtime 2016". Anyone know anything about it?

2017 Jul 12
OSoloMeal I have seen that truck and I am still trying to figure out when/if they are open. I've been to three Redblacks home games so far and the truck is locked up tighter than Fort Knox - what a missed opportunity! I pass through the Glebe fairly regularly so if I see any signs of movement I can keep you posted...

2017 Jul 12
I walk by there twice a day. It's just being stored there; it's never been open at that location.

2017 Jul 12
www.paradisepoke.ca/

Here come the poke joints...

2017 Jul 14
Roku Bar + Bites, where Umi Café was, then wasn't, then was again for a couple months.

2017 Jul 14
Chatime, the bubble tea place which introduced itself to Ottawa last summer at the Night Market, at Somerset and Bronson, where an Indian corner store used to be. Bubble tea, diabetes in a cup, with chunks, is suddenly starting to be everywhere in Ottawa.

2017 Jul 14
Following up on our cashless future, from our American friends: "Visa Will Give 50 Restaurants $10K Each To Upgrade Payment Tech If They Ban Cash" (consumerist.com).

2017 Jul 15
Hung Sum announced on Facebook today that they've found a new location and plan to reopen soon. No details yet, but this is great news!!

2017 Jul 17
I got a better photo of the new hot pot restaurant beside T & T. Turns out it is a Morals Village Hot Pot!

This is quite exciting as they are a huge chain from China that already has some locations in Toronto and Vancouver. Having been to the one in Markham, I have to say that it is definitely a better choice than the Mongolian Hot Pot we are used to here.

Here is a blog post I found online of the Richmond, BC location:
foodology.ca/morals-village/

This is the official website: cqdz.ca/en/home-5/

Can't wait until it's open!

2017 Jul 17
Raw Pulp + Grind is moving into the Simply Biscotti location in Westboro.

2017 Jul 17
From the Morals Village web menu:

Please do not waste food, Maximum Dining Time: 2 hrs

Interesting.

2017 Jul 18
I always wonder what happens at the 2 hour mark...

Does it involve bouncers? Ejection seats? Sleeping gas???

2017 Jul 18
I keep thinking of those bylaw enforcement officers I see walking around town handing out parking tickets. Would they give out tickets for parking oneself in a restaurant seat for too long?...

2017 Jul 18
FWIW Farm Boy will in fact be opening in the Rideau Centre where the old food court used to be: ottawa.ctvnews.ca

2017 Jul 18
Competition for the Rideau Loblaws.
Actually, Farm Boy's buffets and prepped food counter are pretty good. Will be interesting to see if this shifts business away from the food court counters. I'm still bummed about the grilled cheese place.

2017 Jul 20
Uji Café's Instagram shows a new menu and not just desserts. (www.instagram.com) and (www.instagram.com)

2017 Jul 22
Sula Wok will be opening a resto on Main Street. No date is mentioned just a sign in the window saying "Opening soon Sula Wok".

2017 Jul 27
Anyone know what LiLi Pies is that is opening up on Preston St where Preston Shawarma once was? Next door to Mena...

2017 Jul 27
The Standard Tavern on Bank where the Georgetown was.

2017 Jul 27
Senate?

2017 Jul 27
Sorry. Done from the phone excuse! The Senate Tavern on Bank.

2017 Jul 28
Re Sula Wok - i haven't seen their cart on Bank/Sparks in ages. I hope they haven't dropped it to focus on the restaurant, but wouldn't be surprised.

Re the Senate - Oh. Good. That stretch of Bank street needed another pub. So much. Yay.

2017 Jul 28
I ate at the Sula Wok cart over by the DFAIT building over on Sussex recently, it was one of the more confusing events in recent memory. Bottom line was 17$ for 2 tacos, a few rice chips and a soft drink. It seems I gave a 3$ tip without offering, as the listed price was14$, still steep for street food.

2017 Aug 2
Lili Pies, beside MeNa on Preston. Pizza rather than peach, I'd guess.

2017 Aug 2
Snack Attic in the same building, almost, as Won Ton House, 1292 Wellington West, with swirled flavoured soft serve ice cream (which we need). I don't think it is open yet.

2017 Aug 2
A poke restaurant, whose name I can't remember, is opening on Bank and Slater, almost across the street from Santosei.

2017 Aug 3
The Merry Dairy is finally open in the old Fairmont Groceteria location at Fairmont and Gladstone. They opened yesterday and had a fantastic day for it!

Go get some.

2017 Aug 3
@JamesC - 'Paradise Poke', if i'm not mistaken.
Sushi Sensei across the street and a block or so south already does poke, btw.

2017 Aug 3
@OSoloMeal : Thanks! Name was just buried in my brain somewhere
And It's burrito Sensei. (I posted the original vendor review :P)

2017 Aug 4
Looks like Billing Bridge is getting some sort of Waffle House - billingsbridge.com

2017 Aug 4
In Billings Bridge it is Allô! Mon Coco (www.allomoncoco.com/en/). They have been putting it in for what seems like months. This looks like their first outlet outside Québec.

2017 Aug 4
Please tell me when this place is open.
#waffletornado

2017 Aug 5
Is that like #Sharknado, only different?

2017 Aug 5
Yes and no.

2017 Aug 9
Following up on the radish problem: "No cash, no problem: Mad Radish founder says cashless transactions are here to stay" (www.cbc.ca)

2017 Aug 9
"Yakko Takko' taco truck is operational, and has moved across the street to the Kundstadt Sports parking lot.

2017 Aug 9
Also, fyi, no American Express.

2017 Aug 9
Zaphod's rises again. As club 27?

Ok, so it won't have Zaphod's uniqueness, but it will still be a basement small music venue I guess?

2017 Aug 9
Spadina Dina - the former Corner Express convenience store has been bought and is being renovated. The new order plans a deli, fish counter, more groceries and a diner menu for breakfast, lunch and take out. Renovations are ongoing while the store is open and the projected completion date is in the fall.

kitchissippi.com

2017 Aug 9
According to the CBC article, cashless transactions 'only' add 2% to the cost of a transaction, and it's convenient for the vendor, so who loses out here?
I know a lot of mom and pop restaurants in TO that are cash only, the reason, lower prices.

2017 Aug 9
Yakko Takko in the parking lot beside Kunstadt Sports on Bank north of Glebe

2017 Aug 9
"I know a lot of mom and pop restaurants in TO that are cash only, the reason, lower prices."
There's a cost to handling cash so it's not like it's free either. I wouldn't be surprised if going cash only or cashless ends up more or less a wash in the long run. Doing both is clearly more expensive than just doing one.

The question then is what method is more common and which is on the rise. I suspect debit/credit make up the lion's share of transactions these days in most Canadian cities and is also on the rise. So if you're looking to save a little on payment methods, dropping cash payments may actually be the better option.

More often than not I'm walking around with zero cash on me and cash only businesses simply won't get my business and I know several people who basically never carry cash unless they have a specific reason.

2017 Aug 9
I don't see a lot on that Yakko Takko menu that points to Canadian fusion, so the header MEXCAN (which I had assumed meant Mexican/Canadian) should probably be corrected to MEXICAN.

Just a thought.

2017 Aug 9
According to the CBC article, cashless transactions 'only' add 2% to the cost of a transaction, and it's convenient for the vendor, so who loses out here?
I know a lot of mom and pop restaurants in TO that are cash only, the reason, lower prices.

2017 Aug 9
Not to be too cynical but cash transactions also opens the door to unreported income and less tax.

2017 Aug 9
Re Club 27 / Zaphod's - it's not a basement venue... Zaphod's on York never was a basement venue. Zaphod's 2 on Bank was on the second floor, and I'm not sure about the original Zaphod's on Rideau. Anyways, perhaps I just don't get the reference you were going for in that post.

2017 Aug 10
Uh.....I don't think you know what Zaphod's was. I think you are really confusing it with something else.

AFAIK: There never was a Zaphod's 2, nor was there ever on on Rideau.

2017 Aug 10
Not sure if any other old timers would remember this but I'm almost certain Zaphod's opened on Rideau Street in 1990 or 91? Zaphod's moved to the market a couple of years after opening. There was another Zaphods on Bank where the Imperial movie theatre used to be but I don't think it stayed open for long. I believe it was owned by a former Zaphod's employee or one of Eugene Haslam's children? There was also a night club in the market called York Street Underground and if memory serves me right it was in the same building as where Market Organics is located but closed in 1990 or so. FWIW I moved to Ottawa in 1988 and wasn't familiar with the nightlife in Ottawa yet so I'm relying on my middle-aged memory right now;)

2017 Aug 10
"Zaphod's 2 on Bank Street" is in fact Barrymore's, which was owned and operated by Eugene Haslam from 1996 to 2008.

2017 Aug 10
Ah, that makes sense then. Never thought of Barrymore's as Zaphod's 2, but I can confirm straight up that Zaphod's on York is indeed a basement venue, as in it is in the basement.

2017 Aug 10
Zaphod's on York was not in the basement. The bathrooms were in the basement, but everything else was on the ground floor. There was briefly a Zaphod's 2 on Bank Street but it didn't last very long. I don't think I ever went there and don't recall exactly where it was but it was a separate thing from Barrymores.

2017 Aug 10
Can confirm Zaphod's was originally on Rideau before it moved to the market. Never went there but took the bus by it everyday on my way to school. I think it was booted out when Bell constructed the central office that's on the north side of Rideau by Friel.

2017 Aug 11
Zaphod 2 was not Barrymore's. It was a separate bar ran by Eugene Haslam. Eugene was partners with Randy Lanctot in Barrymore's and Zaphod's but parted ways with a coin flip. Eugene got Zaphod's and Randy got Barrymore's. Eugene then opened Z2 beside Barrymore's to annoy Randy but it failed miserably. Zaphod's on York is not in the basement. Zaphod's in Rideau was indeed closed when Bell bought them out.

2017 Aug 11
I learned so much, and for some reason I thought it was in the basement. Mea Culpa.

2017 Aug 11
Can we all agree that the beer was bad and the music was great tho?

2017 Aug 11
I never drank beer there. I always tried to finish the chalkboard. I did it a few times.

2017 Aug 11
I'm sorry for providing erroneous information earlier. Zaphod's 2 was indeed separate from Barrymore's, and was located at 363 Bank St.

2017 Aug 12
JamesC - thanks for the laugh in writing and then "confirming" that I don't know about Zaphod's ;) (Honest mistake I'm sure, no worries)

2017 Aug 12
Spotted yesterday and opening very soon: Il Vicolo “Ottawa’s first outdoor pizzeria” on Clarence. www.facebook.com

Hiring cooks right now.

2017 Aug 17
Stofa (www.stofarestaurant.com). Looks like it is going to be a fancy one.