Guilty Pleasures? [General]

2010 Oct 11
Recently, the Huffington Post listed “guilty pleasures” of 20 celebrity chefs. It revealed that, when nobody’s looking, these renowned culinary artists with famously refined palates take comfort in many of the same simple and broadly available foods we do.

www.huffingtonpost.com

Mario Batali loves Doritos and Salsa. Tom Colicchio of Top Chef Fame likes beef jerky and licorice (not together, we presume). Anthony Bourdain loves Kraft “Macaroni and Cheese” (“Kraft Dinner” to us Canucks).

So there you go. Lowbrow? Yes. Embarrassing? Kinda. But we like what we like, even if it’s a little humiliating. In a dark room, all by ourselves, no one can tell us we’re wrong.

We did an informal survey of family and friends as well as Facebook followers of the Happy Mouth blog. Some of the answers are not surprising. Some are very guilty admissions indeed.

What's Yours?

Read the article at:

tinyurl.com/HMguiltypleasures

2010 Oct 11
This is sort of silly. Why is liking Doritos, hotdogs, or a gin & tonic lowbrow or embarrassing? That makes these chefs normal in my eyes.

Either way, I love Doritos. I love hotdogs. I love poutine. Uhh.. the list is long. :)

2010 Oct 11
duck fat, bacon, shiitake mushrooms, ginger, lemongrass, scotchies, bird chilis, BBQ
did I mention bacon

2010 Oct 11
Kitchen Virtue: This was not our definition, this was Wikipedia's definition of "guilty pleasure", which is referenced in the longer article. If you read the article I did mention that liking these things makes them more like us.

But we DO have guilty pleasures. Everyone does.

Chef Obi: Are those guilty pleasures or just pleasures? :-)

2010 Oct 12
I don't like Doritos at all, never have..never will.
Don''t care who likes them..can' stand the taste or smell.
No name "cheese tortilla chips" are just as yucky to me.

I like poutine,chicken fingers, don't really like hotdogs (veggie dog is better to me).

I also know someone that is a millionaire and they like canned peas and beans sometimes, and this person also uses jarred pasta sauce at home sometimes.
The same person also happens to like margarine instead of butter.

People just like what they like.

I like fancy food sometimes,but I think most people eat "normal" food most of the time..or what is normal to them anyways.

2010 Oct 12
The only guilty pleasures I have are when for example I eat something I know comes from a factory farm. Especially meat that I know had to have been raised in deplorable conditions.

Sweets and things like Doritos - there is no guilt whatsoever associated with them even when I know they are not so good for me.

2010 Oct 12
Kraft Dinner with KETCHUP!
Now, is that guilty or what?

2010 Oct 12
Instant ramen noodles!!! All different varieties... Happy Mouth, Neoguri... etc.

Also... Ruffles sour cream and onion chips... yummy!

2010 Oct 12
Poutine, pretty much by definition. I can't think of anything else particularly guilt-inducing.

2010 Oct 12
snoopy loopy--I also like instant ramen noodles occasionally ( I leave out the seasoning pack because of the MSG but the noodles are saturated fat, trans fat and white flour--I know bettr but they are instant. (My kids buy them and once or twice a year I sneak them...)

2010 Oct 12
Maybe bacon?
not really since I am not religious, but in my religion you are not supposed to eat pork.

I am not religious at all though,not that it matters.
growing up my dad who was a bit religious-he still ate pork.

2012 Sep 6
These new OMG chocolate, graham cracker, almond and toffee things. So good.

[INSERT OMnomnom.wav]

2012 Sep 6
Cool Ranch Doritos
Pogos
Lipton Sidekicks Sour Cream & Chives noodles
Cheetos Puffs

= shame...delicious shame

2012 Sep 6
bugles dipped in french onion chip dip

2012 Sep 6
Well I'm not sure how guilty this is since it's a fairly popular item but mine would be Ritter Sport milk chocolate bars with hazelnuts. Thankfully Costco sells them by the case. (Well okay there are only four per package but at least I can buy them in bulk-;)

And bacon. I love bacon!

2012 Sep 6
Just came back from a tour through Michigan-had biscuits and sausage gravy every morning for breakfast. Back to granola and fruit...

2012 Sep 8
Technically this is making something.. but it's definitely still a guilty pleasure. When I'm forced to stay up late or work on something I'm really not into, I'll just make chocolate icing and eat it.