Best bar to have a date [General]

2010 Sep 25
I'm looking for some place to take my boyfriend, that also serves nice snacks; we've already been to the Moonroom, do you have any other suggestion?

2010 Sep 25
The Manx might be up your alley: the food's good, and it's nice and cozy. The only thing is that there isn't much "private space" that I can recall.

2010 Sep 26
Trio on Richmond Rd. is a good bet. Good little wine bar,small plates, etc. Lots of frequently-changing art on the walls for purchase. Try their pizza with brie, pear and pesto.

2010 Sep 26
what type of drinks do you enjoy? wine? beer? cocktails? whiskey?

play is at the top of my list to try, all good reviews on this site.

4th ave wine bar is nice. i have found their tapas plates a bit meat heavy in the past, but they usually have a cheese plate, a nice soup and other picky plates to choose from. xpress just did a food review: www.ottawaxpress.ca

social has a lounge, which is nice for cocktails.

eighteen has a happy hour from 4:30-6pm every day.

also, trio is owned by tracey (who owns moonroom).

2010 Sep 26
I usually opt for a beer or a cocktail.

2010 Sep 26
If you're laid back like me, you might like Chez Lucien. It's a restaurant too, though.

2010 Sep 26
re: Chez Lucien is great but I'd save it for a week night. Double check that there isn't a game on, otherwise it will be crowded and hard to hear your date.

2012 Jun 16
Tried the Trio Lounge last night after looking for a "tapas" style bar to replace the Bin 790. Really enjoyed it. Nice music, cozy, friendly staff and enjoyed everything we tried from their "adventure plate" (chef choice) and then sampled some of the meats & cheeses off their board. Very nice.
I heard a new tapas style is replacing the Bin with some of the former staff .. very pleased to have something coming back to Kanata. Westboro was about as far out as I like to venture out for a meal these days but it was worth the drive and a really pleasant night out.

2012 Jun 16
Trio and 4th Avenue are both great shouts.

I can't believe that anyone would take a date to the Manx or Chez Lucien if they wanted a subsequent date.

If you want to really treat him, go to Taylor's at Bank and Sunnyside.

2012 Jun 18
The lounge area of The Shore Club might be up your alley, too. The chairs are really comfortable, and the ambience is, well, it's what you'd expect from an upscale steak house. Then again, you may not like the music (it skewed ambient techno when we were there) and the prices (what you'd expect from an upscale steak house.)

2012 Jun 18
I guess it all depends what you want, my suggestions would as follows..

Higher End, elegant; Hy's, Shore Club, Maxwells or Beckta (great little bar in the back that I was unaware of until my last visit)

Band or Music, dancing: The Rainbow, Barrymores, Elmdale, Maxwells upstairs, Zaphods, fill in your choice here

Upbeat & Hip; Trio, HPH, Moonroom, StoneFaced Dollys, 222 Lyon, 1014 Wine bar just to name a few...

Terry

2012 Jun 18
I second "10fourteen", it is also open late. I enjoy the Main Street Cellar in Manotick, great bar area, nice dining lounge and great food, both appies and mains.
The bar at Petit Bills is also fun to sit at and have a drink ot two but would recommend outside of dinner time.

2012 Jun 19
I will second both Taylor's and Fourth Avenue. I really like the vibe at 4th Avenue and a very good selection of wine.

For just a drink, a bar I like for its quiet and comfy chairs is actually Zoey's in the Chateau Laurier. It is just very relaxing. I wouldn't go there for more than one or two, but it is a good antidote to the hyper frenetic places elsewhere.

2012 Jun 19
I second Shore Club. Great Cocktail bar and you can sit at the somewhat higher energy bar or there is comfortable lounge seating.

2012 Jun 21
"I can't believe that anyone would take a date to the Manx or Chez Lucien if they wanted a subsequent date."

@johnnyenglish: Well, I've been told that I'm high maintenace yet I've stuck around for 15 years after a first date at the now defunct Rocco's on Robertson Rd, so I guess each to his own? But then again, my husband thinks if you take someone to the Manx and they get huffy over the choice then you're probably well rid of them. ;o)

Nthing Taylor's for an elegant night out, as well as Zoe's in the Chateau Laurier... now *that* is a date bar that might even impress johnnyenglish...

2012 Jun 21
"I can't believe that anyone would take a date to the Manx or Chez Lucien if they wanted a subsequent date."

@johnnyenglish: Well, I've been told that I'm high maintenace yet I've stuck around for 15 years after a first date at the now defunct Rocco's on Robertson Rd, so I guess each to his own?

There were lots of marriages and babies (sometimes mutually inclusive) that came out of The Carleton Tavern (Est. 1939).

Each to his own ? Depends on what side of the tracks you come from.

2012 Jun 21
Well Captain Caper, I've never been to the Carleton Tavern so how about if I just have to take your word for it?

2012 Jun 21
When we started dating, my husband used to take me to the Dominion Tavern. Only food options were from the row of pickled horrors. 18 years later, we've stepped it up a notch, but still frequent the Manx, Irene's, Carleton Tavern, Elmdale - all the pubs with the most flavour ;)

Personally, I find that someone who is comfortable in all types of environments and establishments far more attractive than someone who is fussy.

2012 Jun 21
I'm going to jump on this bandwagon and say that there's a lot to be said for the low-key sort of places. For first dates, you don't want to blow a paycheque at the Shore Club if it's not gonna work.. these places are good to meet for a drink, the bustle covers those initial awkward silences, and if you decide you want more than just drinks -- the food's pretty good.

Same goes later on. High-end places are great but sometimes you don't want to worry about what you're wearing, or if it'll break the budget etc. I'd rather have a haunt for me and my partner than a nice place we go once in a blue moon.

Which isn't to say that there's nothing wrong with having preferences, but I'd never think of breaking it off with someone for taking me somewhere with affordable beer. That just means she might buy me another one...

2012 Jun 21
Quote : Personally, I find that someone who is comfortable in all types of environments and establishments far more attractive than someone who is fussy.

Amen to that hipfunkyfun !

I would not be very happy with high maintenance.

2012 Jun 21
Could it be cultural? I believe Johnny English is from London where it's par for course to drop couple hundred quid plus on a night out at places like Le Caprice, Ramsay, etc. Now don't get me wrong, I've nothing against this kind of outing, but that's because my brother-in-law picks up the tab and he rolls like that. On my own, I would never want a first date to spend that kind of money on me when we're just getting to know one another. The pressure, the expense, the expectations... thanks but no thanks!

2012 Jun 21
"I would not be very happy with high maintenance."

So zym, I better be happy with Labatt's or Bud Light or I can go home? ;o)

2012 Jun 21
Personally I will happily drink both of those beers especially if they are cold and free :-)

2012 Jun 22
Haven't been on a "date" in 20 years, and I like all kinds of places, but for a first date would never take someone to a bar like the Carleton Tavern. I have memories of witnessing bar fights and vomit soaked sidewalks in my university days, and while those are indeed the kind of things that give one a richer life experience, I'm not sure it's the image I would like to leave with someone I was trying to make a good impression on. Whenever I went on a first date, I always (incorrectly maybe) assumed that we were both trying to put our best foot forward. Time for those places later on when you both relax a little and want to just go hang for a casual drink. Maybe I'm just too old school, but are dates no longer "special"?

2012 Jun 22
I don't know. I've always been distrustful of guys who rely on flashy restaurants for dates. I prefer to be impressed by the person, not the venue. If a guy can hold his own in a lower-key place and be an engaging and interesting conversationalist, IMO, he's got a lot more to offer than a guy who can play suave and throw money around. ;)

Flashy restaurants make a much better 2nd date, IMO. ;)

2012 Jun 22
But nice guy/dive bar probably loses to nice/guy nice location every time.

2012 Jun 22
Otoh, picking somewhere nicer than one's local pub suggests a bit more thought and care went into planning the date than say a typical nite out with the dudes to watch the game.

On the humble yet great food yet not loud side of things i recommend JAK'S on Bronson. Sadly the street construction will detract from the setting outside but the restau itself is classy without overdoing it. The aps serve nicely as 'snacks' and specifically the duck spring rolls are just wrong in a totally good way and if they're doing the rillette i seriously recommend it.

2012 Jun 23
My problem with the Manx is that it always seems a little grimy. I don't think you need to spend a fortune, but going somewhere clean seems like a good start.

As for Chez Lucien, as I've documented elsewhere I think that the place has the rudest and most unwelcoming attitude of anywhere I've been in Ottawa - one woman in particular who has been there both times I visited was downright hostile.

2012 Jun 25
To each their own, I suppose.

My husband and I love grabbing dinner and drinks at Chez Lucien, and we have never encountered anything other than enthusiastic and polite service over a span of four years.

The food never fails to impress, either.