bizarre foodie dream [General]

2009 Feb 9
Last night I had a dream where there was a rock band in town - do not recall which one - and I got to go back stage with them. Where they had this huge flatbed trailer stacked high with meat! Every imaginable kind. I recall there being a walkway around the edge and I was walking around and saw a huge skinned and cooked elephant head. I was walking around picking bits and pieces off various places and eating them. Then one of the band members shows me this device he'd made for cooking steaks quickly. It was a bizarre thing with fan - kind of like the home made stir plate I'd made for propagating yeast.

2009 Feb 9
Kewl foodie dream.

Eating elephant head meat ... Tres KEWL with me, because I actually ate meat from the head of an elephant. See my Ottawa Foodie profile here for more details ---> www.ottawafoodies.com/u/646 <--- .

With such a strange dream, almost psychedelic sounding, could it be possible there that some ergot/ergoline (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergoline) found it's way into your canned turkey/chicken used in your casarole, you had last night? See ---> www.ottawafoodies.com <---

2009 Feb 10
I've heard that eating Stilton can cause weird dreams...

2009 Feb 10
Recently I skipped dinner after a night basketball game because I wasn't hungry when I got home. However, I was so hungry during the night I was dreaming of the all-you-can-eat food at my residence in uni...and let's just say that was not the kind of food dreams are made of!

2009 Feb 10
Tra ...that wasn't any foodie dream ... it was an outright nightmare !!

I know .. I survived 2.5 years of residence food supplied by Beaver Foods.

I often thought the breaded pork they served was really breaded beaver.

2009 Feb 11
I for one, get um... techni-color dreams if I eat any quantity of high cocoa chocolate between the hours of 8pm and 10pm. Some 80% cocoa dark chocolate... whoa dude.... you're glowing! Did you have any chocolate that evening Zym?

2009 Feb 11
Captain Caper, it really can't be any worse than what Aramark serves the kids at Carleton, where K stands for Kuality ;)

Slightly OT, but I've been panicking about wedding things lately, and dreamt the other night that I woke up on our wedding day with nothing planned, not even the invitations. Bizarre, but also incredibly funny!

2009 Feb 11
Cocoa solids including cocoa butter ... could be my new 'drug of choice' ... at least when it comes to Dream Quests.

I'm going to give it a whrill. I'll start by having no other recreational ethno-botanicals (including ethanol) for a number of days ... then I'll hit myself up with a Chicken Mole dinner followed by some hard hitting 80% cocoa chocolate.

.... and if I ever get my hands on some kava kava, ( see ---> www.ottawafoodies.com <--- ) or the elusive khat (food 558) , the possiblities could be endless.

Dr. Weil's book has always been a good reference. I found it lying on a table in my universities library when it first came out. circa 83/84. Not too many people consider chocolate to be a drug. The 'ol doctor certainly opened my eyes to new ideas.

I can hear the 'puritan crowd' now .... "Ooh!! ... I don't do any drugs !", they say, as they're drinking a (an Irish) coffee along with some chocolate.

2009 Feb 25
It happened last night (or more likely , early this morning) ... I had a FOODIE DREAM/NIGHTMARE ... and it wasn't triggered by consuming choclate.

I was back in my old university residence cafeteria. I couldn't find anything to eat. Everyone else had food but me. I went to the ice cream freezer and there was no ice cream in it. I went to the self serve toaster and there was no bread ... I got really frustrated ... everyone else was getting something to eat but me.

The picture is a scan of my old meal card that one of my girls recently found in a box of old stuff.

The very first picture of Captain Caper on Ottawa Foodies and the internet in general.

2009 Feb 25
Captain C - Ah yes, University Residence Cafeterias... oh how I remember... you just brought back some memories for me, that I had pretty much totally forgotten. Funny how something like an ID Card can do that... notice no magnetric strip, no bar coding, just a typed up form, a glued on photo, and a signature, then the whole thing was laminated in one of those little desktop machines. LOL The years before computers how did we ever cope?

PS... Funny photo. It too says a lot of the times... the hair, the glasses, the shirt, so early 80s, not to mention the wacky youthful attitude (ok when it comes to Captain C obviously somethings never change). Thanks for sharing a walk down memory lane.

PPS... Can you recall some of the specials... besides the never ending supply of hamburgers & fries my caf featured among others - Spaghetti, Lasagna, Sheppards Pie, Meatloaf, Sloppy Joes, Fish & Chips, Hot Turkey Sandwiches... basic "North American" grub (1976 - 1980), NO hi-falutin' International fare, let alone something healthy like this current day University Caf pictured salad bar. Yup, when combined with a regular diet of beer at the Student Union Pub, no wonder we all put on the Freshman Fifteen. LOL

2009 Feb 25
That residence crap-a-teria at Bakehead University in Blunderbay indroduced me to Montecristo Sandwiches (see pic) and Perogies.

I didn't mind the perogies ... I think they were hand made and not too shabby with tons of fried onions and HP sause mixed with sour cream.

The absolute worse thing they (tried to) serve(d) was a breaded pork chop. 93% pure grizzle !! The breading was to hide the tendons, cartlidge and thick lines of fat. Bart Simpson was better off with the 'beef hearts' delivered to his school cafeteria via a dump truck.

2009 Jul 21
I am bumping this thread because last night it was my turn.

I am planning an upcoming staycation and during my two weeks off I will be heading to Merivale to hit the big box stores (looking for sheets this time). When I am done I am planing a foodie outing while there. The plan is to start at Nicastros then head north. I really am planning on buying olives and parm and a few other ingredients for some pasta dishes I have planned. I will then head north to the Dutch store and the European deli because I have not been there before but they have been getting good reviews on this site.

So last night I dreamed that I went into Nicastros starting at the olive bar and it was cleaned out. I thought okay I like their cheese maybe I can make an antipasto platter. Same thing no cheese left, no salami left, no bread left. Then I headed to the Dutch place and the shelves were completely bare. Then I headed to the European deli and there was not a thing to be found. Then I headed up to La Cabana (which I have never been to but is also on my list) and there was only one item left in the entire restaurant (a fish taco!?!) and the lady in front of me was buying it.

I'm not sure what I had for dinner that was bothering me but this is one dream that I hope never comes true.-;)

2009 Jul 21
lol zymurgist...crazy dream

maybe you were just really hungry and you just so happened to watch an elephant special on the discovery channel before going to bed?

On another note, I wonder what elephant meat would taste like? I'd make mine spicy ;) lol

2009 Jul 21
I would assume a bit gamey, and probably quite lean. Maybe like elk, or moose?

2009 Jul 21
I think Zym must be friends with Beck ( Satan Gave Me a Taco whiskeyclone.net )

2009 Jul 21
Pasta Lover, that photo looks like its from a Kubrick film or something. What's the source? My guess: pre-Katrina.

2009 Jul 22
itchy feet I found the photo in google images. It is from someone's blogspot which is located here: letti.blogspot.com

You will find it about half way down the page. Apparently the shelves are from a closed-down Albertsons store - everything was auctioned off.

2009 Jul 23
Heads up on the European Deli. It has moved accross the road next to Kardash's. I was very dissapointed as they have axed a lot of the products and have a much smaller selection of cold cuts. Lots of preserves and cookies etc from all EU countries.

2009 Jul 23
That's too bad. I went to the European Deli once last year to pick up a few goodies to take home (cold cuts, etc.). Usually when I go into a deli I make a bee line for the counter since they have so many interesting cold cuts, cheeses, etc. Good thing Nicastro's is nearby. I may end up getting eggplant parmesan again...