School Lunches - What's a Mom to Do? [General]

2008 Aug 28
Ok, I'm long past this, but with all the concerns about the listeria outbreak, and the no peanut butter rule, one has to wonder... School Lunches - What's a Mom to Do?

For the last 50 years or more the quick & easy solution has been either make a sandwich with peanut butter & jam / jelly, or throw some cold cuts on a bun or a couple of slices of bread.

But of course neither of these solutions will fly for the Back to School 2008 kiddies.

In recent years it was those crazy pre-packed Lunchmate Snack Packs, but even they have fallen out of favour now with the listeria outbreak, and previously with a salmonella incident in 1998 (traced back to Schneider's by-the-way).

So what is a mom to do?

As most classrooms, do not provide either refrigerators or microwaves, it makes it difficult to pack leftovers.

I'm guessing more kids will be bringing salmon / tuna or egg salad sandwiches... any thoughts?

2008 Aug 28
Almond butter sandwiches. Just make sure it's clearly labeled so it does not get confiscated. We used them a lot last year.

2008 Aug 28
Zym - Ok, I get that this isn't peanut butter... but isn't this still an issue in that it is a nut product being taken to school? (Just curious, because as I said my kids are grown and gone, and well this wasn't so much an issue when they were in school - Before the days of outright banning of peanut butter).

It is my understanding that most people who are alergic to one kind of nut, have problems with other kinds as well. I know adults who's primary alergen is peanuts, but they also have problems with hazelnuts, brazil nuts and coconut (and perhaps others, it is just that I know they speak of these ones in particular). Some of these same people also have an issue with seeds (like sesame), someone once told me that it is because of the natural occuring oils found within these items.

2008 Aug 28
have a look at the Soy "nut" butters or the other alternates, there is a pea butter out there called "no nuts" that seems to get great reviews, I havent tried any in a while, but they are getting more and more common out there in the stores.

2008 Aug 28
All I know is that almond nut butter is not banned, so we send it to school with our kids. Tuna sandwiches are popular with our kids as well BTW.

2008 Aug 28
Zym - I think I lived on Tuna & Salmon Sandwiches as a kid... somewheres my Mom had read in that Dr. Spock era that these were good for your brain, so she was going to make sure that my brain cells got a boost at lunch hour. LOL

Funny thing though even after all those years, I still like these two fillings... especially a toasted salmon sandwich, I make one for lunch regularly.

2008 Aug 28
I'm pretty sure that all nuts are a no-no for school lunches. Here's some of the things my kids like:

Meatballs
Teriyaki chicken or pork
Chicken wings.
Fajitas (I pack the meat, salsa & tortillas separately)
Boiled eggs (I found out the hard way that my girls HATE egg salad but are perfectly happy with boiled eggs, they just hate mayo)
Sushi or onigiri
Dumplings
Leftover pasta

I also buy chicken breasts, salt and pepper them and bake in the oven, then slice thinly for sandwiches.

I usually plan to have enough leftovers when I cook dinner that I can make 1 or 2 lunches from them. I have thermos jars for all 3 so I can pack a hot lunch if there is no microwave in the classroom.

Re: the soy nut butter....my kids thought it tasted horrible.

2008 Aug 28
Wow: Mousseline--your kids are adventurous!! I'm pretty sure my sister in law isn't going to care about listeria, if only because my 8 year old niece won't eat anything but cold cuts (her dinner last night featured bologna and pasta, while we dined on my mother-in-law's succulent ribs).

I think more kids rely on cafeterias than we imagine, which may also be unhealthy, on account of sponsorships from Coke and Aramark (ew).

Speaking as a student who slaps together whatever I have in the fridge, I have found taking several snack sized portions very very helpful-I made a big batch of rice pudding last week with soy milk, which I've taken cupfuls of this week, a tomato with a salt packet, cheese slices, crackers, and an apple.

So, it's not a square meal--it's more of a rhombus meal. Who cares?

Also, my mom was always one for packing salads for me. Sadly with Kraft dressing (ew. I can't eat salad with Italian dressings anymore.)

2008 Aug 28
Mousseline - Wow, you really are a dedicated Mom when it comes to lunches. Back in the day my kids used to occasionally take stuff in those squatty thermos containers with the big mouths... soup, pasta, etc. But sandwiches were the norm. I guess because they were so easy to "slap together".

LWB - LOL, "Rhombus Meal". That's a new one for the books.
I hear you on the salad thing... I used to take salads to work in the 80s, they always ended up icky by lunchtime (also bad memories - especially of Caesar Salads). Of course some smart guy solved that problem in the 90s with the invention of pre-packaged Caesar kits, that one can assemble on site. I've been a fan ever since (although now I usually don't buy them pre-packaged, I just make my own kit).

2008 Aug 28
This suggests to me that only peanut butter is banned :

www.ocdsb.edu.on.ca

Still looking for something definitive.

BTW, peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes. So I would expect someone with a peanut allergy to be far more likely to also be allergic to soy, not almonds.

2008 Aug 28
True, but aren't most peanuts produced (by which I mean roasted, salted and treated) in the same factory as some nuts, giving *gasp* a higher risk of contamination.

Not to say that allergies aren't a serious matter. I just find the policing of allergies by people who dno't have them somewhat ridiculous at times.

2008 Aug 28
I find this whole "forbidden lunch" thing to be totally ridiculous. My wife was telling me the other day that a friend of hers kid had their lunch confiscated because it had sliced meat in it, because of the scare on now. All the kids had their lunch confiscated at the daycare, and then the daycare ordered pizza. This was a full week or so into the scare. Holy frig, can people take responsibility for themselves these days? My wife's friend was 100% certain the meats in the kids lunch were fine. Yet it still got confiscated. Ridiculous.

2008 Aug 28
Google ads is currently showing a link for "Kid Friendly Lunches" so I clicked on it : www.compliments.ca

2008 Aug 28
My kids took Hommus (Chick peas blended with tahini (ground sesame seeds)) for years ... and no one died !! Was it just luck ?

Looks like at the Ottawa Catholic School Board there is no ban on peanuts (or nut products), in their schools, per se. It's up to each and every school to develope a plan to address anyone with a life threatening allergy.

www.occdsb.on.ca

"To succeed in maximizing a safe environment, school staff, parents and children must work closely together to develop and implement guidelines for the school community with regard to students with life-threatening allergies."

Maybe that's why I 'got away with' sending nut products to school in my children's lunches.

Besides, both my kids hated sandwiches.

"Ooooohhhh Dad !! I don't want a ham bun, I want to take some left over curry in my (wide mouthed) thermos .... And can I get some basmati rice in a tupperware container ?"

2008 Aug 28

.... and once they hit High School, they had access to a microwave at lunchtime. That certainly opened up what they could take for lunch.

"No Dad, Nooooo !! Don't send me to school with Lunchables !! Please Dad .... Nooooo !!"

2008 Aug 28
CaptainCaper: as an aunt whose niece won't touch anything that isn't white, or an awful color of pink found only in hotdogs and cheap chef boyardee sauces: your children are a foodie's godsend!

2008 Aug 28
.... oh don't get me wrong ... There were a few 'Chicken Nugget Years' with one of my girls.

and look what the brillant marketeers at Blah-Blah's have dreamt up now, for kids ... Mac-a-Cheezee. (Notice: it rhymes with 'Easy')

I wouldn't feed deep fried macaroni and cheese to my worst enemy ... let alone my kids.

2008 Aug 28
Captain C - OK, maybe that "Catholic School" thingy has something to do with the fact that peanut butter etc. was never an issue with my kids either.

I seem to recall that the classroom was the total domain of the teacher, and they made adjustments (and rules) as they saw fit for each circumstance. I also recall that a lot of times, there were no "pat" answers to issues (like a sweeping ban of peanut butter) but that a lot of things were explained to the kids, and they worked out a plan together with the teacher to make things work... "Little Johnny here has an alergy... what can we do to make sure he is safe and still part of our classroom family?" I liked this concept because it taught kids that (a) they are responsible for their choices, (b) they can make a difference, and be compassionate to other's needs, (c) sometimes in life you have to put other's needs ahead of your own, and (d) in the end we all have to get along in the world.

2008 Aug 28
Hey F&T ... and that's why my kids went to a Catholic School even though I'm not Catholic !!

2008 Aug 28
How about making your own lunch meats? My dad use to get a turkey roll from M&M Meat Shops when we were kids and roast it himself for sandwich meat. You can roast off a turkey or chicken roll, or a roast beef, or a ham. You could probabaly even freeze some in pre-portioned bags.

Note: Have you ever read the back of a "lunchables" (or similar) package? Loaded with saturated fats!

2008 Aug 28
"Have you ever read the back of a "lunchables" (or similar) package? Loaded with saturated fats!"

.... and nitrates too !!

And we all know how good lots of nitrates are (day after day).

2008 Aug 28
to the original question, why not just send off the young ones w/ a handful of chia seeds? If they were good enough to keep Mayan messengers in motion, surely they're good enough for the average slothful N. American school punk-kid?

gliving.tv

At from the opposite end of the spectrum, didn't Ashley already anticipate and post the solution to listeriosis?

ottawafoodies.com

2008 Aug 29
I am teaching a "What's for Lunch" class at the Merivale Loblaws on Wednesday at 6pm. There are three in the series, this is the last, that offer suggestions for parents packing school lunches. Recipies and a taste of the dishes is provided, AND the class is free!

I am making a roasted broccoli pasta salad and fresh fruit parfaits.
Last week was hummus and pita chips, chicken Caesar salad, and homemade granola bars.

When I was a kid my mum HATED making my lunches, but she still went overboard making them. She could hardly wait till I made it to high school where there was a cafeteria. (She doubled my allowance to buy lunches if I wanted, or I could make my own if I wanted to save the money. It worked for me!) I remember her ranting about what to make with no bread in the house. Somehow we were always out of bread in my memory....she had some very creative ideas.

I had a thermos to take hotdogs in packed with some of the boiling water, a cuppy of ketchup mustard and relish mixed together and the buns on the side. Packed with a fork for fishing out the hotdogs. I had a friend who had to pack her own lunches, she loved the idea and started bringing them too, only she used soup instead of hotdog water, but I thought that made the soup taste all hotdoggy....

Soup in a thermos with cheese and crackers.

To keep thinks cold a juice box from the freezer - usually thawed by lunch and I didn't have to carry the icepack home.

My favorite was a "snacky" plate. My mum invented lunchables. I had a solid plastic Tupperware plate and she would put on what ever was in the house. In grade three she even stuck a toothpick flag into my cheese cubes that said "I love you". It must have taken her longer to make that than the lunch! Everyone started to tease me, but Jeffery took the flag, put it in his shirt pocket and told them all where to go 'cause "At least her mum makes her a lunch like that!"
I had a salt shaker in my desk for HB eggs, tomatoes and green peppers. Even my teacher borrowed it so I didn't get teased for that somehow. It was always a decent mix of protein, fruit and veg and starch.

I usually got a selection of the following:
Carrot sticks and other cut up veggies with or without dip.
Cheese cubes
Ham roller-coasters
Devilled eggs (these were a special treat, usually it was a halved HB egg)
Crackers
A scoop of tuna or egg salad
Pickles (pack in a tight fitting tupperware (pickle juice ruined my tuna sandwich once on a fieldtrip when she wrapped them in tinfoil because she thought she wouldn't get the container back, gag inducing!
I would have LOVED hummus if I knew it existed.

2008 Aug 29
Didn't meet to many kids that didn't like hommus and fresh pita bread triangles.

My kids had no trouble bringing hommus to a "NUT FREE" daycare either.

I guess the staff there didn't know what tahini was.

...... and no one got sick and/or died.

2008 Aug 29
Captain C - Lunchables OMG, those are unbelievably bad... and yet they are so popular. Like Food is Hot said, does no one read those packages?

As for deep fried Mac & Cheese, that leaves me speachless! (and feeling ill)

LWB - Pink & White Foods, LOL what a combo. (and yet at the same time soooo girlie).

Food Is Hot - I am thinking that more Moms will be cooking a chicken breast or two starting next week. The big thing with the cold cuts from the deli was they were so darn convenient, just what a busy Mom needs, another task.... but alas that is a whole other topic.

Itchy Feet - LOL, I totally forgot about Ashley's Lunch Box topic... don't think there will be a lot of Mom's signing up to do that though.

Oliver's Rock - Interesting Class. Your Mom was a SAINT! Lucky you. How full circle that you are now passing on these memories via your class. I'd be curious to know if there are more attendees this week than in the past.

2008 Aug 29
Pete & Gus in Barrhaven cook thier own roast beef/roast pork, etc and sell as "coldcuts". Not only is it way better the processed coldcuts it should give moms piece of mind.

2008 Aug 29
From Da Rock - Thanks for posting this info, I'm sure this is useful info for a lot of people who read this forum... I may even check it out myself.

2008 Aug 29
Wow! You mean there's actually a reason to go to Barrhaven!?! (whoops, did I say that out loud?)

:-P

2008 Aug 29
Hey Zy .... Since 20% of Barrhaven comes to shop the trendy stores in Westboro, on Saturdays ..... we can make it out to Barrhaven for some Saturday shopping and have no difficulty parking.

2008 Aug 29
Zym & Captain C - LOL, Obviously you've never been see Pete & Gus, you'll have to fight for a spot out of the 10 or less that will be available on a Saturday between the Tent Trailers set up in the Parking Lot, the Spa Clients, and the numerous SUVs & Mini Vans dropping kiddies off for tutoring, that little mall is a hot spot of activity! The lot could be chaos if people decide to start buying their meat from a Butcher vs Blah-Blahs.

2008 Aug 29
My son's (and daughter's this year too!) school is completely nut free so that means almond butter sandwiches are just for home.
My solution is mostly left overs. His favourites in the winter are spaghetti or soup or whatever pasta dish I've come up with. We do a lot of fresh fruit, cut up veggies, granola bars, fruit leather, fruit sauce, V8, cottage cheese, local cheeses and real meat sandwiches cut into dino shapes (or seasonal shapes).
He loves treats like souvlaki, sushi, kebabs.
OH! And he loves when I put ingredients into a container and leave him to make his own sandwich at school with it. Then he feels like the kids who get those nasty Lunchable type things. ;)
I like ONFC for great lunch snacks. I buy them in bulk when they're on sale.

2008 Aug 30
BakingB - what is ONFC?

Great ideas everyone - thanks!

2008 Aug 30

2008 Aug 30
Great forum discussion! Many impressive and healthy lunch ideas! I am not a parent but sometimes get in a rut making my own lunches.

A useful resource on healthy lunch ideas for children and adults alike are the fact sheets under 'Eat Well, Live Well' on Dietitian's of Canada website: dietitians.ca

I used to give educational grocery store tours when I worked in the Maritimes (they have registered dietitians in most stores!) It's really amazing how little some know about healthy eating and reading food labels (ie: lunchables). I loved asking customers what they looked at when they read a label and if they thought that value was high or low (ie: grams of salt, fat, fibre). Most people have no clue. There are many determinants of health that affect one's ability to eat healthy. However, its very refreshing to see parents like you setting great examples for your children!