The eastern, 2-storey half of the present Elmdale House tavern was built in 1909 by Ernest Laroche. He operated a dry goods (later men’s clothing) store in the building and lived with his family above the store. The one storey part of the building and the entrance canopy were probably added in 1934 when the Elmdale Hotel was opened. The 1934 modifications have hidden the original store-front but some of the features of the residential part of the building can be seen above the entrance canopy. The decorative finials on the corners of the roof are also typical of ‘main street’ construction of the early 20th century. This is one of only a few remaining traditional Ontario taverns with its “Ladies & Escorts” door still visible although unmarked.