Molecular Gastronomy Event [General]

2008 Apr 22
I just got this via email from Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa

Event 1:

Le Cordon Bleu Signatures invites you to share an intimate evening with:

The Father of Molecular Gastronomy
Hervé This (pronounced « Teess »)

Enjoy an eight course menu prepared by Signatures’ Executive Chef Yannick Anton,
and take part in an event that “explores the science of flavour”.

A book signing will precede the dinner.

Event 2:

Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa with the collaboration of Carleton University invites
you to attend a first for Ottawa!

Hervé This, international celebrity and founder of molecular gastronomy will be
delivering a two and a half hour demonstration showcasing the experimental
techniques by using the kitchen as his laboratory, and showing his most recent
discoveries in the chemistry, physics, and biology of food.

The content of the lecture is featured in his new book that
he will be signing at the end of the event

More info here:
www.cordonbleu.edu

It seems like this would be pretty interesting. I don't have that kind of cash to blow on a meal right now, nor the ability to leave work early to attend the lecture. I'm sure someone here will be interested enough to go!

2008 Apr 22
Wow, this pisses me off that this is happening AFTER I moved away.

2008 Apr 22
Momomoto should be all over this! The food nerd in me has always been interested in this but unfortunately I will be out of town that week. Even if I was available $250 is steep price tag for me for a "gimmicky" meal like this. It'd be neat to try I suppose...

2008 Apr 22
If I had $250 to spend on a meal, I would. Unfortunately, that's just prohibitively expensive for most people.

2008 Apr 23
Hee hee! I should be all over this, it's true, but for $250 per person, I think I'll have to pass. I can eat at Alinea for cheaper ;)

2008 Apr 23
Hervé This hosts free monthly seminars in Paris...so if you're traveling there ~ a nice addition.
chocolateandzucchini.com

From the notes, I liked these two;
"If you whip a liquid that contains protein, it transforms into a mousse. This is why you can whip an eggwhite until stiff, and can't do the same with water. Gelatin is a protein with gelling properties, so if you add gelatin to fruit juice and whip it, you'll get a mousse that holds."

"Eggshells are permeable to salt: this means that when you cook eggs in salted water, the egg white will be salted too."

2008 Apr 23
I would love to spend $250 on this! Once or twice each year my fiancée and I splurge big time and this would be in that budget. However, its just too soon since our last blow out at Per Se in January and... we're buying a house and getting married.... and hopefully, going to Paris on our honeymoon where I expect there will be at least one 3 starred Michelin man who will take more money than we really should spend on a meal.... but hey, I love food.

What's sad though is I have been dying to try the so called molecular gastronomy cuisine for a while and would like to do it on a grand scale to fully appreciate what it has to offer. This would fit the bill, .... perhaps Super 7 will come through for me before May 1!

cheers!

2008 Apr 23
MedicineJar - I'm sure you meant to say... "and hopefully, going to Paris on our honeymoon where I expect there will be at least one 3 starred Michelin man who will take more money than we really should spend on a meal...but hey, I'm in Love.
;-)

2008 Apr 23
Food&Think

Right you are! Or at least that is what I will claim in my defence! ;-)