New Openings 2016 [General]

2016 Jan 3
Any one know what's going in the old Naked Fish spot in Westboro ?

2016 Jan 3
And anyone knows what happens to Richard Hintonburg's kitchen spot on Wellington? It has been closed for 10 months or so?

2016 Jan 3
There's a sign in the window saying that a pho place is opening soon where Richard's Hintonburg Kitchen used to be.

2016 Jan 3
Oh, good. They need another pho place down there.

2016 Jan 3
Like shawarma places, we can never have too many pho places! ;)

2016 Jan 3
But I cannot see a pho place to get enough volume to be able to afford the rent of westboro...

2016 Jan 4
It's not Westboro. It's Wellington West or Wellington Village or Hintonberg but never Westboro ;)

As for volume, you have obviously never been to Pho Van Van on Holland on a weekday lunch. It is slammed from 11:30 to 1:30. Lots of days if you don't have a reservation, you don't get a table. And they also do pretty good business evenings and weekends. If the new places puts out decent bowl of pho at a competitive price then they should do ok. If nothing else they might get the spillover from Pho Van Van.

2016 Jan 4
Don't for get the other Pho shop in Wellington West. Viet Taste Restaurant. Viet Taste Restaurant

2016 Jan 4
CC - I'll have to try it for dinner one day. That's too far for walking from Tunney's for lunch for me

2016 Jan 14
Don't know if this qualifies as an 'opening,' but Leroy of DSF fame is serving brunch out of Share Freehouse this Sunday, and seems like it could continue to be a Sunday/Monday thing there. www.facebook.com

2016 Jan 17
Just came from the Hintonburg Marche (which is awesome) and saw the sign for SuzyQ in the former West End Well space where Somerset turns into Wellington.

2016 Jan 18
Well, it's about time.
Pun partially intended.

I'll miss the WEW, but I also think that SQ needs the space. It'll get all hipstery and try to sell coffee. It'll be a toss up over going to SuzieQ for great donuts and a coffee, or to Ministry of Coffee for great coffee and whatever they have to nibble on.

Maybe SQ will start serving beer, too. Then, sandwiches. Later, no more donuts at all. This can only end in tears.

2016 Jan 18
It's too bad about WEW, it has some great specialty products but was never busy when I was in there.

You might not be far off with the lunch prediction Rizak. Suzy Q was supposed to be opening a lunch place in the old ornge Gallery, near Cake & Shake, but I heard there were zoning issues and it didn't open. Sign is still up on top of the building.

2016 Jan 18
Not that I think it would be awesome or anything but I'm thinking the Ottawa food scene is missing somebody to fill the donut sandwich/donut burger niche... Maybe SQ will step up to the plate???

some crazy examples below:

www.womansday.com

2016 Jan 18
A donut that didn't cost 2.50 would be nice too.

2016 Jan 19
Go back to Russia!

2016 Jan 19
Osolo: that's a Trabant, the cutting edge of East German technology. . . . .

2016 Jan 19
Naji's Lebanese Restaurant in the Glebe has closed. Sign in the window shows Anthony's Pizza is opening soon.

2016 Jan 19
Golden Baguette has "homemade" doughnuts for $1. but just chocolate topped or sugar/cinnamon.
-they are not the fancy kind,but they are good.

Whole foods has a sign saying any 6 breakfast pastries for $10, and I assume/guess that would include the doughnuts?
-they do sell Suzi doughnuts there....

Harvey's has some great new doughnuts on the menu, yes the burger place.
They are sugar cinnamon and they cook them while you wait.
4pc for $2 or 8pc for $3.
there is too much sugar in the bag, but these are so good!

2016 Jan 20
Are they the regular size donuts or the minis, like Tiny Tims or whatever they are called?

2016 Jan 20
Aren't they called Timmies Balls?

2016 Jan 20
They are the mini donuts with a hole. Like the mini donuts they used to sell in loblaws in a box

2016 Jan 20
Well now, that's worth going to Harvey's for!

2016 Jan 21
I have a picture of the Harvey's doughnuts!

I do not really buy timbits- the tims beside my is horrible.
-I have a couple other pics of the Harvey's doughnuts,but they are not on my pc yet...

-these come in a paper bag, and if you do not eat them right away it is better to keep them in something so they do not dry out.

2016 Jan 21
So basically, eat them right away.

2016 Jan 21
Chef LeRoy is now doing brunches at Share Freehouse on monday and tuesdays. Here's a link for those interested:
www.facebook.com

2016 Jan 21
Saw a sign that Morning Owl is opening on Elgin St (Elgin/Gladstone). The Bank St location is always busy at lunch hour and they serve great sandwiches.

2016 Jan 22
Blue Nile going in where Detroit Soul Food used to be on Gladstone. Dunno if it's a move or an additional location.

Sign where Naji's was on Bank in the Glebe says Anthony's Pizza going in... again no idea if its a move or an addition.

Quite the pizza rush going on around Glebe/OOS in the aftermath of ZaZaZa switching out. This, Crust n Crate, Panago, Papa's.... will be interesting to see who's left in a year.

2016 Jan 22
Anthony's is an additional location.

2016 Jan 22
Well, there also used to be a Pizza Hut at Fifth.
It was there for many years and had some cheap ok specials.
But that place burned down in that awful fire.

Whole foods has a pizza counter also.
Last time I was there they gave me a magnet to put on my fridge with the store number and address!

2016 Jan 25
Anyone been to Meat Press in Hintonburg ?

Http://www.meatpress.ca

2016 Jan 26
CC- not yet but it gets good buzz in the neighborhood. It's on my list to try.

2016 Jan 26
I've been 5 or 6 times. It's great food and great value in a great setting by great people. Can you tell that I like it?

I've had a pretty good range of their daily sandwiches (they change daily/weekly/whenever) and the sides (sometimes soup, sometimes green or potato salad with fun stuff in it) and drinks (they make their own soda).

The lunch combo is a sweet deal - sandwich, side, and drink for $10 before tax. The quality of everything is top notch - bread, meat, condiments etc....

2016 Jan 26
It sounds a little like Meat and Bread in Vancouver which is a great concept. so which sandwiches have you tried AD?

I see they also have smoked duck yummm

2016 Jan 29
Upper Crust Sandwich & Deli, opened yesterday - Corner of O'Connor & MacLaren On the ground floor of the medical building

Eating the Chicken, Bacon, Avacado Panini as I type this.... WOW! Awesome Sammich, great size to it too

Nice Panini Bread, freshly pressed
Freshly Carved Chicken
Good amount of Bacon & Avacado
Nice hint of spice

Had a sample of a steak/mushroom Panini as well and that was spot on as too.

$6.80 for fresh food and ample serving like this is a great deal.

Sorry next time I'll grab a pic.

2016 Feb 14
Things are looking up in the east end.

Chicks chicken & waffles has opened in the Sobey's mall on Trim. I'm wondering if they're linked to Bananads next door. They also do goat curry and jerk chicken.

OCCO kitchen is opening a full service restaurant at Trinity Crossing in the spring. Exciting times!

2016 Feb 15
Brian: It is a renovation and re-branding of Bananas. As far as I know (and saw), Chicks replaced Bananas.

2016 Feb 15
Huh, right you are.

2016 Feb 16
Clyde Ave, across from the Bleeker Mall has two new restaurants: Chen's Dessert House which is a Hong Kong style dessert place similar to Honey Town, and Prince Gourmet shawarma which has taken over where La Shish used to be. They've done a very nice renovation and have an opening special, 2 chicken shawarmas for $7. They were delicious. Nicely marinated meat, crisp pickle and turnip, good strong garlic sauce, tabbouleh offered as a topping, and the pitas crisped up nicely on the real grill. I'll be back for sure.

2016 Feb 16
Lebanese Palace now open where the KenTaco Hut used to be at Industrial and St Laurent.

Classic shawarma counter up front, buffet sit down dining lounge/restaurant in back.

Tried the buffet Satnite last week, had a really nice experience. Food was solid, the buffet is reasonably sized, not massive - four salads (from memory, fattoush, greek, tabouleh, cole slaw), four dips (hummous, two kinds of eggplant, the hottest babaganoush ever!), four veg dishes hot and cold (green beans hot, green beans cold, stuffed vine leaves, stuffed cabbage rolls, red beans, one or two others I'm not remembering), grilled chicken, chicken w cous cous, meatballs, and falafel, I think I saw soup... - but everything was tasty and tasted like it was made recently and not sitting in buffet purgatory. Unlimited pita bread and they came around with hot baked pita once as well. Also, live music - nice touch.

I admit to being as jaded as anyone when yet another shawarma restaurant appeared, but the buffet side is a nice change for Ottown. Will be back, will send others.

2016 Feb 18
Good news for fans of the original Fairouz, perhaps - one of the members of the family of the original owners and a partner are opening a modern version of the Fairouz - Fairouz Middle Eastern Cuisine - with Walid El-Tawel as executive chef. Story at ottawacitizen.com

2016 Feb 18
Geez Andy, do NOT get my hopes up like that. To my uncertain recall we've already had the head chef, manager, two waiters, a cousin and a silent partner all claim to be opening the next Fairrouz and none of them lasted more than six months.

Ah well, I can hope.

*reads article* ..."the new Fairrouz is going to be kind of like the new Star Wars...".

...not helping.

2016 Feb 19
Wait! There's a new Star Wars?!!!!

2016 Feb 19
OSM, without hope all is lost...hope and it will happen. Dream along with me.

2016 Feb 19
Jon Svazas (Fauna) is opening a new place in the former Back Lane Cafe in Hintonburg.

ottawamagazine.com

2016 Feb 21
"Back Lane had two wood-fired ovens, so they’re going to be the basis for the food. We’re also going to have three Japanese grills that operate on petrified charcoal. Cooking with wood will be the focal point — we’ll do everything except pizza."

...ok Svazas is a genius and I so look fwd to this place

2016 Feb 21
Kaguya Kitchen opened on Bank x Alta vista where Pho Bamboo used to be. Japanese.
Anyone tried it?

2016 Feb 23
So Empire Grill is closed and believe it or not - A PUB IS GOING IN!

The Red Lion Pub will be opening at that corner in the near future.

2016 Feb 23
When is empire closing? I have gift cards!!

2016 Feb 23
Are you sure, on the website it says it is closed for renovations.

2016 Feb 23
Donezo.

2016 Feb 23
Fitz's from Bells Corners is opening in the old PJ Quigley's at 250 Greenbank. The Bells Corners location will remain open.

2016 Feb 23
Hey [[uWholesale Wayne]] are you able to elaborate on the info about Empire Grill at all, like how do you know this, or a link or something if it was published somewhere? Thanks.

(I tried to format the text to link to the user but it didn't work... Or did I do it wrong?)

2016 Feb 24
AD_2, if in fact Empire is closed you should be able to use the gift card at Metropolitan Brasserie or The Grand. They are all part of the Empire Group of restaurants.

2016 Feb 24
Empire is closed, also Stella, just down the street.

2016 Feb 24
Thanks for that tip, antoine g

2016 Feb 26
Empire is definitely under renovation right now. They haven't papered over the windows, so you can see what's happening. They still have bottles out on the bar, amidst walls stripped down to the studs and a ripped up floor.A paper sign on the door just says under renovation and will open in mid-March. No other details.

2016 Feb 26
Trust me, it's re-opening as The Red Lion Pub. None of you can deny that Ottawa (and especially the Byward Market) cant support ANOTHER pub. Ha!

2016 Feb 26
I hear it will be a Red Lion Pub. As will a few other key locations.

2016 Feb 26
More pubs MORE!
Soon we will have ALL THE PUBS.

2016 Feb 27
Why are all the lions red?

2016 Feb 29
Mongolian Hot Pot - Open/opening in the strip mall next to Le Baron on Merivale.

2016 Feb 29
What? No pub?

2016 Mar 1
Pubs are the new $14 pancakes.

2016 Mar 1
I'm confused, the lions are red because of mongolian hot pot? It must be the chilis in the hot pot that makes them red. Do the lions eat the hot pot or the other way around?

2016 Mar 1
Lions eat the $14 pot pancakes.

2016 Mar 1
"The Aristocrats!"

2016 Mar 2
There is going to be a new bakery opening in Smith's Falls (14 Beckwith Street South) called C'est Tout Bakery. The owner bought a huge supply of my rum vanilla extract to use as her primary flavouring ingredient. I can't see anything wrong with that.

Opening March 24th, or sooner.

www.facebook.com
www.instagram.com

2016 Mar 2
Given the way restaurant prices have been going, we may soon be nostalgic for 14$ pancakes. Or is it just me?
Also I just remembered a pub called the BLUE Lion. . . . .

2016 Mar 4
The space where Raw Sugar stood is reopening soon…for live music and live coffee

2016 Mar 7
Word along Wellington is that Hintonburger will soon be moving back to its original spot now that Suzy Q has moved to the old West End Well. The high rent at the old KFC is apparently hurt them big time.

2016 Mar 7
What a huge step back for them and their customers if that's true. That shack should be torn down, though it has been a good starter place for those two businesses.

2016 Mar 7
Do you mean they are going into the suzy'Q store?

2016 Mar 7
Post was pretty clear, to me. Suzy Q has moved out to where West End Well used to be, leaving the original Hintonburger location vacant for Hintonburger to move back to. I hope I understood that correctly.

2016 Mar 7
The Red Lion signage is up on the former Empire Grill. Kudos to the person who posted that change here a few weeks ago!

2016 Mar 7
With Hintonburger going back to a more reasonable rent maybe they should consider a more reasonable price for their burgers .... or at least a quality bun that matches that nice beef ... and not that Betty-style foam bun they currently use.

Just sayn'.

2016 Mar 7
^^^ totally agree - if moving back to the shack, move back to the shack prices.

2016 Mar 7
Re: Hintonburger - I felt their quality suffered after moving to the KFC shop. I haven't been there in probably 2 yrs. I got tired of waiting an hour for a burnt burger.

2016 Mar 7
Prohibition Craft Beer and Gastrohouse is opening soon on Somerset I think? All I got is their facebook page which is skimpy on details
www.facebook.com

2016 Mar 7
"Gastrohouse", yuck.

2016 Mar 7
I prefer the term "bellyhut" myself.

2016 Mar 7
Check out the Gastrohouse's speakeasy The Staph Room

2016 Mar 8
Ooh. I hear it's near impossible to get on the guest listeria.

2016 Mar 8
Not many restaurants other than Union 613 have had any success along that strip of Somerset. Two new openings in the near future. Let's see if either or both of them can make it work!

2016 Mar 8
I hear the Gastrohouse appetizers will leave a lasting impression—especially the smoked salmonella and roasted e.coliflower. And for the frugally minded tippler, it's worth mentioning that on week nights they let you bring your own botulism.

2016 Mar 8
Oh wow, that menu is sure to go viral!!

2016 Mar 8
I wonder if Prohibition Craft Beer and Gastrohouse will be related to the Prohibition Gastrohouse in Toronto on Queen St?

www.yelp.ca

2016 Mar 8
Where on Somerset exactly?

2016 Mar 8
According to the map posted on their facebook page it looks like they will be opening on Somerset between O'Connor and Bank. It doesn't help that most of the streets on that map aren't labelled ;(

2016 Mar 8
if you click the link James C provided above it says 337 Somerset West.

2016 Mar 8
Moulin de Province opening at Metcalf and Queen.

2016 Mar 8
hungry Pete,

Are they moving or adding a new location?

2016 Mar 9
I don't know, just saw a sign in the window, but I can't imagine they would leave their Byward location.

2016 Mar 9
SMOKED SALMONELLA AND ROASTED E.COLIFLOWER!!!!!!!!!!!

2016 Mar 10
Sometimes in life, we must choose to venture down a different pathogen.

2016 Mar 11

Roast N Curries @ 197 Bank Street Opening next month.

2016 Mar 11
ALE (Amberwood Lounge and Eatery) taking over Bistro Fiftyfour's location at the Amberwood Golf course in Stittsville in the near future.
stittsvillecentral.ca

2016 Mar 14
Bar Robo opening at 692 Somerset, where Raw Sugar used to be. Signs in the window indicate it will have cookies, wine and guitars.

2016 Mar 14
A new restaurant will be opening on Bank where Miga used to be. I believe the new place will be called Thai Social.

2016 Mar 14
Miga down...? I was just there, was that recent?

2016 Mar 14
It closed about a month or so ago. I think they had a sign in the window at first saying "closed for renovations" which only stayed up for a couple of days then the sign came down and the windows were papered up. Someone was there about a week or two ago scraping off the painted lettering on the window. I'm not sure if the new place is owned by the same people that owned Miga or if it's new ownership altogether.

2016 Mar 14
Matthew Carmichael and Jordan Holley will be opening a new resto on Sparks this spring: ottawacitizen.com

2016 Mar 15
Excited to see another Carmichael/Holley endeavor! I still have to get to Datsun.

2016 Mar 16
Love for everything that article mentions. Psyched!

2016 Mar 16
Yeah tried to go to Datsun but they were closed on Sunday. I like the sound of Riviera ..

2016 Mar 17
Lots happening in the coffee shop sphere.

The Grounds Cafe just opened in Stittsville on Hazeldean Road. Apparently using Equator coffee. They have a kitchen as well and will be doing more elaborate lunches than most coffee shops.

Little Jo Berrys opens up on Saturday down on Wellington Street just east of the Bagel Shop. Coffee shop and baked goods. There has been lots of media coverage for her opening. Nice to see the love.

Bridgehead's location at Fairlawn Plaza (Carling and Woodroffe) is still being worked on. It's supposed to be a March opening. I have not seen a set date.

Morning Owl is opening on Cooper very soon. Super close. I have not heard an exact date. And they are busy fitting up a place in Kanata.

Bottoms up.

2016 Mar 17
Morning Owl is swooping in pretty aggressively. A second downtown location and Kanata. How predatory. Who saw that coming?

...ok i'll stop now.

2016 Mar 17
But is that wise of them?

2016 Mar 17
Suppose they felt the need to spread their wings.

2016 Mar 18
I don't give a hoot. . . . . . .

2016 Mar 18
Not necessarily a new-opening but definitely an expansion The Chateau Lafayette has expanded into the former Quiznos and is now offering a 7$ Snack menu.

2016 Mar 18
Re: Morning Owl Coffee

I was at Urban Juice Press (urbanjuicepress.ca) --- a small little place off of Parkdale Ave. in a warehouse building on Spencer Street, I think. Seems there website is down at the moment so can't post more precise details.

Had a cold a few weeks ago so I stopped in a couple of times to try their various juices ...

When I was chatting with one of the owners, they were talking about a pop-up shopping they would be opening soon. It is going to be in a new coffee shop - I think Morning Owl - at the corner of Elgin Street and Gladstone. In the same building where El Camino and Datsun are located. They will be upstairs.

He explained a concept which apparently is big in New York and Toronto, were a space is used by many venders as flexible pop-up style outlets. This allows the vendors to sell their goods without opening their own shop or signing a long term lease. Hip and funky businesses co-locate and while the may become semi-permanent (someone has to hold the lease, etc.) other businesses can try out their business model, come and go over time.

Has anyone seen this in the bigger cities? Is this coffee shop morning owl or maybe another new coffee shop?

BTW - I really liked Urban Juice Press - while I could make juices at home (if I had a juicer which I don't) it is a nice (and decadent) treat for me. They had a special small bottle of something with cayenne that is meant to chase colds away and I must say it was really powerful - left a burning feeling in me - felt good! Neat to see how they transformed the warehouse into a modern shop.

2016 Mar 18
The Morning Owl pop-up inside Common at Elgin and Gladstone has been open since Oct 2015. It's a good concept for sure. They are moving next door soon - perhaps the people you overheard were talking about the new permanent location beside the pop-up.

2016 Mar 20
Ola Cocina opening another place in the Hintonburg Zazaza. Ion Aimers is involved. I saw it on Facebook, it must be true. . . . .

2016 Mar 20
Here's a story about it. apt613.ca

2016 Mar 20
Oh, that IS good news.

Too bad about about Zazaza, I was a fan, but some excellent tacos will take the hurt away just fine.

2016 Mar 21
Yeah I have mixed feelings about this - I liked ZaZaZa in spite of all the stupid names they gave everything, and the daft extreme hipster pizzas like Mac & Cheese. But it will be nice to have decent Mexican in the 'hood. And it does trade out one kid-friendly place with another.

2016 Mar 21
Just wanted to clarify that I did not "overhear" anyone ... I was talking to one of the owners of the Urban Juice Press. I suppose I don't spend all that much time on Elgin Street these days and must have not noticed that the Common has been open since the Fall. Will have to go one of these days and see who all is there. Thought is was interesting as it gives vendors a more permanent place to locate rather than weekly farmer market stalls, etc. while not requiring the investment and risk of going out on one's own and opening a permanent business location on one's own ...

Have others noticed this in other cities or other locations around the city?

Have others tried Urban Press Juice?

Thoughts?

2016 Mar 21
Ola Cocina will be a great addition to the neighbourhood.

2016 Mar 21
Need some tex -mex in the hood ......YUM.
Save me a trip or two....lol...but Austin TEX.has the stuff....

2016 Mar 23
A few weeks ago I posted that Hintonburger would be moving back to their old shack which Suzy Q recently vacated. Well I was only half right. Turns out the owners of Hintonburger have opened up Whassup Dog - hot dog and poutine based joint.

2016 Mar 23
Hopefully better pricing then HB my last visit was tasty but darned expensive.

2016 Mar 23
Pho Shack is now open on Wellington St. where Richard's Hintonburg Kitchen used to be. I just stopped in quickly to grab a menu, but the place looked nice and there were a couple of people sitting and eating. And, as a huge incentive for me to try them soon, they have a few tasty looking vegetarian options, including a vegetarian broth for pho.

2016 Mar 29
Not sure how I feel about Fat Tuesdays closing down their current location and re-opening in Kanata in the old Skirt Steak. Gut says that's a real bad move.

Interesting to see Starbucks After Dark or whatever taking opening up in the Byward Market though.

ottawa.ctvnews.ca

2016 Mar 29
Skirt Steak closed? ...that was fast.

2016 Mar 29
It's been closed for quite awhile. Im not sure if it even lasted 3 months.

2016 Mar 30
Not opening yet. I have no idea what will be there, or even when.

However, Tim's Used Sporting Goods has just closed on Wellington, so another restaurant has to move in there right away.

I'm just saying ... confidence is high.

2016 Mar 30
Warren Sutherland just announced on Twitter that he has left The SmoQue Shack and is moving to the soon to open Sutherland restaurant on Beechwood.

2016 Mar 30
@Rizak - we should start a pool...
Irishish pub, shawarma place, or pho?

Who wants summa this action?

2016 Mar 30
Where on Beechwood?

2016 Mar 31
In the Kavanaugh.

2016 Mar 31
Oz Cafe moving to 10 York St this summer

2016 Apr 4
Chef Mike Frank of Mello's is doing the food program for Bar Robo...this is going to be awesome!

2016 Apr 5
And what is bar robo??

2016 Apr 5
New place where Raw Sugar used to be.

2016 Apr 6
So a Royal Oak is taking over the spot the New Edinburgh Pub is being kicked out of and the owner has now bought Whispers and will soon be running it...

www.cbc.ca

2016 Apr 6
wassup dog featured by ottawa magazine ottawamagazine.com

2016 Apr 6
Follow up on this www.facebook.com

Appears they just started the renos for it. So, not open for a while

2016 Sep 30
After 70 years in business Bousheys closed its doors at the end of July. Even though I miss having them in the neighbourhood I am coming to terms with it - after all I look forward to retiring some day too! After being spoiled with their freshly squeezed orange juice, prepared foods made by local establishments, and being able to pick up fruits, veggies and meats when I am really stuck I have now learned it will be replaced by another convenience store. A Quickie Convenience :( Hopefully they will have some interesting products to offer... The story from the Citizen is here: ottawacitizen.com

2016 Oct 9
Miso sushi looks like they changed their menu and sign?
I had no gone downtown that way for a few months and now see they have a sign that says "Kyoto Sushi" instead.

Also, the Lebanese Palace restaurant and buffet, if anyone is curious it is the same owner as Cedar's grocery and O'Briens' pub.
I keep on getting a coupon in my mailbox for Cedars and this has been written on the top part for the past year....

2016 Oct 14
On my drive to work I noticed that there's a Barley Gastropub about to open at 1541 Merivale, the old Grace O'Malley's and most recently El Capitano location. Will give it a chance. They are trying to revamp the exterior. Anyone know when it's opening?

2016 Oct 14
Something called John n Juan Burgers n Burritos going in on St Laurent next to Mastermind Kids.

2016 Oct 15
I see that there is now a sign up where the Latin Bistro used to me at Meadowlands and Fisher. The place looks to be called Xiang 21 and there appeared to be an invitation only event going on Thursday. According to the realtor's website, the place is supposed to be a Chinese noodle restaurant.

2016 Oct 15
Zaki Broast & Grill near Merivale/Baseline has apparently been reopened as Zaky Grill & Broast. The first iteration seemed to be pretty far behind on rent when they closed.. don't know the story here but would be interested to hear it

2016 Oct 16
Wait... Wut?

2016 Oct 16
wow.. would be interested to hear that story too..

2016 Oct 20
a 'Joey's' (as in Joey Lansdowne') is going into the Rideau Centre.

2016 Oct 20
What's going on at Ace Mercado?

2016 Oct 20
Hi gang -back in Ottawa .was at the former Zaki's ..now Zakys today ..news that there is a new owner..same food ..some of the same staff but 14.50 for a 4 piece and no drink..sorry ..good food and I wish the new owner the best ..but for $15 and no drink..better options. Will not last long by the crowd size today. very slow ...

2016 Oct 21
I thought Ace is expanding into the space vacated by Mello's.

2016 Oct 27
Donut place going in where MnM used to be at Bank st strip mall where Pelican and Farm Boy are.

2016 Oct 27
Raon Kitchen will be opening a resto on Laurier between Elgin and Metcalfe. When they open I can have their bibimbaps all year round!

2016 Oct 28
Jambo Restaurant opened up in the former location of the Singapore Restaurant off of Carling. Sounds like it's a great addition to an area with some of the best food in Ottawa (Shawarma Palace, Do Good Food, Little India Cafe and Wong's Palace Egg Rolls). Here's the description from their facebook page:

Jambo Restaurant is a full- service African restaurant and catering company, serving Ottawa. The cuisine is inspired by the traditional foods of Eastern & Central Africa – Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi & the Democratic Republic of Congo. Founded in 2016, it showcases the diverse and authentic quality taste of African cuisine.

2016 Oct 31
Has anyone heard what's going in to 589 Bank St. (formerly Glebe Indian cuisine, New Nupur)?
Still papered over, but a stylized "M" sign now up.

2016 Oct 31
God, I hope it's not another milestones.

2016 Nov 1
Too small a location for a big chain.
Maverick's Donuts maybe? ....they're moving in to Herongate, this seems too close...

2016 Nov 2
I saw a sign on the window for 'Maverick's donuts' at the corner of the mall near Heron (same one that has a Farm Boy and Pelican Fishery).

2016 Nov 2
M sign - Makita new Japanese / asian fusion resto and bar
one of the chefs from the Manx and few other partners ..supposed to be pretty good.
theyve been doing soft opening tasting for friends and fam since Friday.

2016 Nov 2
Do you know who from the Manx is behind the new Makita place?

2016 Nov 4
Sutherland's opening on Monday at the Kavanaugh on Beechwood, speaking of which, the parklette is gone. . . . . . .

2016 Nov 5
I think Crust and Crate is going into Shopper City East where the new Costco is to be build. I remember seeing a sign for 1-2 days then it came down..

2016 Nov 9
Anyone have the scoop on Mason Dixon Kitchen + Bar that's opening up on Preston St next door to Allegro?

2016 Nov 9
FB page says they opened in October

www.facebook.com

2016 Nov 10
Was thinking of checking it out soon.. drove by this past weekend in the morning and was closed, but looked as though it could be open during lunch/dinner hours?

Here's an article I found on the chef, who started in Ottawa as a line cook with Absinthe, left for culinary school in Vancouver, and is now back:
vancouverfoodster.com/2014/02/18/interview-with-chef-henry-besser-rosenberg/

2016 Nov 10
Is there a menu posted anywhere?

2016 Nov 11
Kaguya Kitchen seems to be all lit up inside- I think they are opening something there it seems.

The doughnut place that is moving into where the old MM Meatshop used to be- that is a bad location for a doughnut shop.
Do they not realize they are right beside a bakery that has been there at least 9+ years???

2016 Nov 11
Kayuga is open. It's an Asian grill your own meat on sticks thing. Mostly seafood.

Mavericks donuts is apparently not worried about the bakery next door, since they're opening soon.

2016 Nov 15
Tried to go to Sutherland on Sunday morning but could not find their hours anywhere (their facebook page doesn't list them, they don't yet have a website and they don't answer their phone - message just says they will start taking reservations on 21 November). Had to go there in person - for future reference brunch on Sunday starts at 10:30. Menu looked good but we had already eaten somewhere else.

2016 Nov 15
any info for kayuga online cant find even the addy?

2016 Nov 15
No it's weird. I found them a month ago now I can't.
Anyhow, west side of Bank at Alta vista. Used to be Pho Bamboo.

2016 Nov 16
Try swapping the Y and G when you Google. Either spelling works in the local site search. :-)
Kaguya Kitchen & Sake Bar

2016 Nov 16
So the popeyes at college square is now hiring staff, so they may be opening soon. Three months late.

2016 Nov 16
This is still probably part of that Master Franchisee that opened Montreal Rd store so it is about par for him.

When I went to Montreal a month ago, they still have wooden boards in that broken window which the car went through many months ago..

2016 Nov 16
Popped into Sutherlands for lunch today, they have a nice manageable menu, with about 10 options. I had a brisket sandwich, which had a definite Mediterranean twist, with black olives and roasted cherry tomatoes, very nice. Washed it down with a pint of cider. They have about 12 beers on tap, nice mix of micro and generic.