Old-school Diners? [General]

2012 Jul 1
Hey everyone. We're starting a new series at Happymouth.ca called, "The Diner Chronicles". What's your favorite REAL diner in town? We're looking for the traditional, old-school place. No tofu-scrambles or yogurt smoothies, please! Where are the city's hidden gems?

2012 Jul 1
we've been digging the Superior Restaurant in Almonte lately. try the hot hamburger sandwich (or anything with gravy).

2012 Jul 1
Hubby and I were just talking about this yesterday. I forgot about the Superior but am going to try it next week. Another favourite of ours was Mrs. McConnells in Arnprior (on Madawaska Blvd). I don't know if it still open but it was the best--only open until 6 pm and closed on Sundays. The last time I was there I had a roast chicken dinner and homemade strawberry pie for dessert. Everything was homemade and delicious. i am going to try it to next week (off work for July!)

2012 Jul 1
I'll second the superior restaurant in Almonte! The White Horse and Mellos (merivale) as well.

2012 Jul 1
Dicks Dairy Dip here in Ottawa does everything homemade. Old school diner decor and music, not to mention the menu.

2012 Jul 1
When we go skiing in Packenham we sometimes stop at the Centennial Restaurant (in the town of Packenham - after picking up cinnamon buns at the general store). It's been around forever and the food may not be spectacular, but is always pretty solid. I enjoy their burgers. I believe their ice cream is from Reid's Dairy which we like better than the other place in town that uses Nestle.

2012 Jul 2
Fil's on Wellington is a good bet for an old-school diner. Hell, it's even got a bowling alley attached if you need to work off some of that burger.

2012 Jul 2
Here are our posts so far:

1. The Fontenelle
happymouth.ca

2. The White Horse:
happymouth.ca

2012 Jul 3
We go to Bramasole all the time. Although it's old-school without being too filthy...

PS: For God's sake, one guy that gave Happy Mouth the thumbs-down for linking to their blog, lighten up.

2012 Jul 3
Ralph and Sons is pretty classic. Only open for breakfast/lunch.

Ralph & Sons

2012 Jul 3
Thanks for some great suggestions fellow foodies. We will be checking out a few more soon. Check back here on this thread or go directly to the blog for future posts. We will only post on positive experiences...:)In the meantime keep the suggestions coming. Anything up Bank Street/Hwy 31?

2012 Jul 3
Meadow's at Adeline & Preston. A few tables, but mainly diner stools & long counter facing the grill. Also Ada's at Bank & Catherine.

2012 Jul 3
donna's express. churchill near the transitway.

2012 Jul 8

Hamie's Diner on Beechwood, the third posting in our Ottawa Diner breakfast series:

happymouth.ca

2012 Jul 10
The gourmet on hwy 7 in CP , huge servings , great service and decent prices. Perfect.

2012 Jul 10
for the record, i just ate at the Superior (again) on the weekend and took the liberty of creating a vendor page - Superior Restaurant

contemplating a move to Almonte...;)

2012 Jul 10
I can't believe I forgot this one considering I have lived in Constance Bay for 25 years. The Lighthouse Restaurant & Grocery is practically an institution here--says on its flyer "over 40 years serving West Carleton". The food is always excellent and you can pick up a bag of milk and loaf of bread while here! I think it seats about 60 people and has many offerings. Breakfast is available 7 days a week from 7 a.m. (all day breakfast special available. They offer the diner classics and use real chicken breast on the clubs. They used to make the fries from scratch but I must confess I haven't tried them lately. There are always daily specials, soups and pies. They have hot sandwiches but do a booming takeout/delivery pizza business. If you are coming out to our beautiful beaches try the Lighthouse!
www.TheLighthouseRestaurant.ca Sunday to Thursday 7 a.m.-10 p.m., Fri-Sat 7 a.m.-11 p.m.

2012 Jul 10
Mont-eh - We are moving to Almonte, the superior restaurant is pretty special... the fried chicken with honey & tabasco is pretty tasty... I get it with mashed potatoes. Affordable and plentiful. Atmosphere is pretty much a time capsule. Same goes with the service. Move to Almonte! Be my BBQ neighbour!

2012 Jul 14
A while ago we asked for advice on where the genuine Ottawa diners are. We realized that left a lot of room for interpretation. One of the ways we’ve narrowed down the criteria is that we’ve chosen breakfast as a good indicator of a diner’s offerings. The menu can be easily compared from place to place and the quality of the ingredients and techniques can be easily judged. So now, we’re chronicling our search for great Ottawa-area diner breakfasts.

happymouth.ca

2012 Jul 15
Louis' Restaurant. The 4th in our series about diner breakfasts.

happymouth.ca

2012 Jul 16
Had beers and pizza at mamas place in almonte on the weekend. Pretty respectable pie.

2012 Jul 18
Seconding Ada's.

I'm not sure it fits the definition, but John's on Wellington West is worth the visit.

I take nothing away from their great food and near mythic onion-rings, but Dick's is more old style burger-joint than actual diner. It has a diner 'look and feel', but how many diners do you know that serve ostrich and bison burgers?

Elgin Street Diner and Zak's are family restaurants that look like diners.

2013 Oct 29
New diner in Constance Bay, The Greystone Grill. The best chicken parmesan I have ever had, fresh made pasta and meat sauce and a full breaded in house chicken breast. Two made in house soups and great breakfast

2013 Oct 30
Didn't you just post that you were the owner of this place?

2013 Nov 9
Not a "diner" but for lunch take-out and delivery Super Duper pizza has a great hot chicken sandwich- they use tons of white meat that is real chicken.
The sandwich takes up about 1/2 of one of those round aluminum containers.
The fries are ok thick cut and prob from frozen, they are decent.

Club sandwich also has a lot of white meat and crispy bacon.

They make their own fried chicken and their coleslaw is tasty and has a vinegar dressing, not the mayo kind (I like it better).

There is also a superduper "wrap" where the bread is made from a thin pizza dough and they have 4 or 5 versions.
Do not buy the "large".
I bought a small one months ago and thought they sent me the large. turns out it is a huge sandwich.
I'd say it was at least 12" and was very heavy, enough for 2 people.

I am quite familiar with the menu as it is the place I order hot chicken and fried chicken the most.
Swiss chalet has had just awful sandwiches, so I gave up on that. (esp after how little meat swiss chalet uses).

For maybe diner type food I always walk by JM Walkley restaurant.
I have not eaten there yet,but it looks quite old school and from what I read online breakfast is decent.
I walk by there all the time, just haven't gotten around to trying it (dairy queen is in the same plaza...lol).

JM Walkley restaurant
1432 Walkley rd (interesction is albion rd).