Sports bars [Food/Vendor]

2011 Sep 19
Anybody have recommendations for good sports bars to watch some NFL? Coming back from the States where we took in a Super Bowl-like atmosphere at Buffalo Wild Wings in Burlington, VT where there were literally 20 extra-large screen TVs all around, and a few 12-15 foot projections, I lament the fact we have no similar places or even close, but what's our best?

I'm looking for good food, too (so that rules out Cage aux Sports and James Street Pub, among others).

2011 Sep 19
Bacon I.V. I'm not sure if any of these places are up your alley but here's my two cents:

The Prescott on Preston Street. They are most famous for their meatball sandwiches. (Their menu is posted on their website on the link I provided.)

Lieutenant's Pump Decent beer selection and always changing menu selection. We don't have a link to their website but this gives you an idea of what they serve: lieutenantspump.ca/ (EDIT: they only have breakfast itesm, sandwiches, salads, and finger foods listed on the menu but they do hot meals as well.)

The Mayflower Restaurant They have a pub at the back of the restaurant which you can enter either through the restaurant or using a separate side entrance on Cooper. Decent beer selection. I can't find a menu online but menu items include hamburgers, liver and onions, steak and kidney pie and the like.

I have eaten at all of these places and have enjoyed the food and drink.

2011 Sep 19
Maclaren's on Elgin has the TV screenage, and probably the beer selection, to meet your needs but unfortunately maybe not the quality of food. You could have dinner at one of the other places on Elgin first and then head over there for drinks and watch the game.

2011 Sep 19
We could use a chain like buffalo wild wings. Local Hero's is probably one of the better alternatives - just stick to the wings. Unfortunately the beer selection is lousy.

2011 Sep 19
The Pump does decent food but their screens are all small, and you can only see one or two from wherever you sit so if like me you like to watch four games at once this isn't a great choice.

The Prescott is a good shout, but I don't think they have Sunday Ticket so you're limited on only being able to watch the couple of games shown on regular programming.

The JSP is my regular Sunday NFL pub but I accept what you say about the food, it isn't very good. St Louis on Elgin is slightly better in terms of food but they don't have Sunday Ticket either. Service is great though (and also extremely easy on the eye).

I don't know what the food is like at Pub 101 in the Market, but I know they market themselves as being a big football pub. Having been in a couple of times for beers I suspect that the food won't be up to much, but I may be doing them a grave dis-service with that comment.

2011 Sep 20
The honest lawyer has a good number of screens and giveaways for the more important games. The food is also pretty good - try the flatbreads!

2011 Sep 20
The Wood on Wellington had a good crowd out for the Sens game last night, and a good amount of TVs for such a small place. TVs in pubs are not my thing and it really turned me off - but to each their own. I was at a meeting and that's where it was being held. The beer selection was pretty good (not large, but good) and the food smelled absolutely fantastic, but I did not eat any.

2011 Sep 20
I'm a sports fan and I don't have TV, so if a really good game is on I occasionally venture out to a sports bar. High end food and sports bars don't really come together in Ottawa from my experience.

Hockey games are always given top priority, and if you are in the wrong place you can actually create friction by asking to watch something like the World Series or El Classico when the beloved Sens are on. Since I always want to catch something that isn't hockey I tend to go to James St. or McClaren's because they typically have no problem putting on something less popular like the Buffalo Bills, bball or soccer if there is a TV free. If it's soccer I tend to head to a pure pub like Heart and Crown on Preston. I actually watched the World Cup final at Lindenhof, which is about the best way you can do it in my opinion!

Last time I was at Chez Lucien I was surprised by how many TV's they had over the bar playing random west coast baseball, so that is not a bad option either.

2011 Sep 20
The problem with Chez Lucien, of course, being the unbelievably snotty attitude from one particular individual every time I've been in there..... or maybe it's just me she doesn't like?

2011 Sep 20
Oh cripes, Lindenhof has a TV now.

Ug. Fail. Had been meaning to get back there after so many years, but not going to go out of my way now.

2011 Sep 20
You can save your indignation. It was brought in especially for the World Cup.

2011 Sep 20
Whew!

2011 Sep 20
It never ceases to amaze me how many places do have TVs, though - I'm as big a sports fan as you'll meet, but I do find myself shaking my head at places like Luxe and Stella putting TVs behind the bar.

2011 Sep 20
That's how I see it. I would trade the TV's in 95% of the establishments in town for much better, interesting and inspired music choices. But a sports bar is for watching games, accordingly the rest of the experience is going to match that i.e.: std nachos and wings and overcooked hamburgers.

By the way and off topic, Chez Lucien's jukebox has a really tasteful and slightly obscure mix - accordingly they have the best music in town in my opinion.

2011 Sep 20
I don't mind Jack Astor's for NFL. They heavilly favour their prizes for the 1pm games, but it's not too bad.

Here's the lunch menu -

www.jackastors.com

2011 Sep 21
The Georgetown has many TVs. Not too sure about the food (I have only had average breakfasts with the morning soccer and wings at night). The wings were chosen best in Ottawa by the Lord of the Wings, so there is that...

2011 Sep 21
The SmoQue Shack is perfect for this. They have recently started opening Mondays specifically because of Monday Night Football. Not primarily a sports bar, but tell that to the flatscreens.

2011 Sep 21
Lots of great suggestions, thanks all! I have to say I'm intrigued by Jack Astors. Also, though never too crazy about the food at Honest Lawyer or Local Heroes, thanks for the specific food recommendations, sourdough and Ginger Kid.

2011 Nov 11
Some general comments, sorry about reviving an older thread:

McLaren's has brutal food, indifferent/slow service a lot of the time, and the sound dynamics make it hard to get into a game.

James Street Pub is solid as a game watching venue, and if you just want wings or nachos, the food is decent enough.

I agree about Jack Astor's - superior TVs and very good food.

The TVs aren't the greatest, but there are enough of them and the sound works and they are friendly enough to put on a game you want at Patty's Pub on Bank Street. The quality of the food is high here, making it a great choice.

Someone mentioned the Mayflower - aren't they the anti sports bar? Do they even have a TV?

The Don Cherry's in Kanata is pretty good.

2011 Nov 12
The Wood on Wellington.

2011 Nov 12
If you are a soccer fan, Gracie O'Malleys East is the best spot to watch Canada play - the owner offers specials, this week for the World Cup qualifier, Umbro will be there with prizes. The wings are good, the beer is good and the TVs are big.

2011 Nov 12
Several tvs , mostly small but East Side Mario's bar section offer half price apps from 4-6 and after 9 (? i think) (and the kanata resto has free buses to the home Sens games). There are a few different sports on--I go with my son and hubby who are sports fans; I eat, they eat and watch sports!