Instantpot - programmable pressure cooker [General]

2011 Jun 1
These are apparently available at T&T and I know at least one person who got one and loves it. It can be programmed to function as a rice cooker, steamer, or pressure cooker.

Anyone here have one and would like to post a review?

instantpot.com/

2011 Jun 1
Don't have one but will be following this thread. If they work well I would consider getting one.

2011 Jun 4
I'm going to get one this weekend.

There are a lot of interesting recipes on their site posted by users.

I also like the idea that it doesn't hiss like a regular pressure cooker and that it's pretty much push the button, then forget about it. Once it's done it drops into a keep warm mode.

-----------------------------------------

I got one and my first impression is it's very well constructed. I happened to locate the designer and am corresponding by email. He's interested in seeing if the software can be updated so the pot does sous vide via its keep warm function (60C).

I haven't had a chance to cook anything yet, as it was a very busy weekend of ferrying the kids to their jobs, friend's birthday parties, and even building a tree house with my son.

2011 Jun 11
Actually, it's called "instantpot", not "instapot". I was so busy during the week I didn't have a chance to try it until this morning. It's well constructed with sensors for the temperature and pressure and closure of the lid.

Basically it's a self-contained, programmable, pressure cooker. It has 8 preset programs, plus a manual mode, and a delayed start timer. The manual is a bit confusing, but the device is pretty simple to figure out in any case.

We had a lot of apples around, so I tried manual mode for 10 minutes. I put two cups of water into the pot, then a trivet (comes with it) then a bowl of cut up apples, diced orange peels, brown sugar and butter. Once I closed the lid and set the program, it heated up to working pressure. When it reached working pressure the timer started. While cooking it release a small amount of steam. After ten minutes it switched to keep warm mode.

I turned the pressure cap to vent and removed the lid.

Pretty simple to use. My wife made crepes and we use the apples as filling.

I'll try a program next with sweet potatoes.

p.s. It also has a keep warm mode that holds the pot at 72C. I think it would be possible to do sous vide ribs in the instantpot at this temperature (brine overnight and then sous vide in ziplock bags for 48 hours on the keep warm setting with the pot full of water).

2011 Jun 13
This lady in Ottawa has a "fan" site for the instantpot and has uploaded more than 40 recipes. It's all in Chinese, but google chrome translates it pretty well, well good enough to follow the recipes.

maomaomom.com

The device also functions as a rice cooker. I have a Panasonic Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker, but apparently brown rice comes out really well in the instant pot, with the same texture as white rice, but more nutrients.

I'll have to try it. I tried switching to brown rice before but the switch didn't last. The texture wasn't the same and I couldn't get used to it.

I used my (non-programmable) pressure cooker to make natto. That was about it. I'm probably under utilizing the device, particularly for vegan dishes. There is a vegan pressure cooker book out there by Lorna Sass that's gotten good reviews on Amazon. I'll have to check it out.

2011 Jun 14
I tried cooking sweet potatoes with orange zest, orange juice, brown sugar and butter today, from a recipe I found on the internet. I set it for 15 minutes; the ones on the top (not submerged) were fine, but the ones on the bottom were not soft enough. So I cooked them again for another 10 min. They came out great, though the ones on the top were a bit too soft. I was steaming them, and the ones on the bottom were submerged in liquid (orange juice). I also realized the instant pot is only around 11 psi pressure and a lot of recipes are for 15 psi cookers. (11 psi roughly 235F, 15 psi roughly 250F). So I'll have to adjust the cooking times accordingly.

fastcooking.ca

2011 Jun 19
I tried some California Basmati Brown Rice in it yesterday. I rinsed the rice and put a few drops of liquid smoke and bit of salt in the water. On the multigrain program the cooker does a warm presoak (I didn't time how long, but it maybe 40 min ?) before heating up to pressure and cooking the rice (that was faster, maybe 15 min?).

The result was very good. The texture is still firmer than white rice, but felt less like I was chewing individual grains, which is how brown rice usually comes out. The liquid smoke made it quite interesting all on it's own as well.

2011 Jun 25
After a few weeks now, I really liking this thing.

I've been talking to some people on a yahoo group for fasting I belong to, and they look for cooking appliances that are stainless steel over teflon (have concerns about teflon breakdown . . . it's toxic for birds for example).

Actually I mostly steam stuff in the cooker. Potatoes I put on a trivet. I haven't had anything stick, and with stainless you can scrub it without fear anyway.

All in all, a good kitchen appliance that I can use a few times every week.

2011 Jun 25
You've sold me Francis - if I could afford one I'd buy it :-) My one question is whether or not you can set the pressure or is it a preset pressure?

My little 3 quart stovetop unit blew last week - I got to witness from about 4 feet away just what happens when that happens. Fortunately, pressure cookers have really good safety measures built in. Anyway, it does not seem to seal anymore after that so I may be in the market for a new one.

2011 Jun 25
It's a preset pressure around 11 psi (not 15 which was the old American standard). The valve at the top is a standard pressure cooker one. It has a cone shaped tip which simply rests on the pressure release stem. But in operation very little steam is vented, so I think there is a pressure sensor in there somewhere and the target pressure is actually controlled in the software.

----

Speaking of dangerous kitchen appliances . . . I want to buy a centrifuge. There is a guy in ottawa selling some new Fisher units (surplus I guess) for around $100. I think they go for $700 new.

I wanted to buy one to make pea butter and other goodies . . . but my wife won't let me. (She's a scientist and is quite familiar with centrifuges. So she may be right - this one time). She found the rotor of one embedded in the roof of her lab and thinks they are very dangerous.

2011 Jun 25
p.s. I was in Kowloon Market today and picked up some purple sweet potatoes. I'll be steaming them in the instant pot tomorrow. To my taste, they are not as sweet as regular sweet potatoes, but some people, like my wife, find them a lot sweeter. My wife won't eat them actually, saying they are too sweet - to her taste buds they are sweeter than candy.

2011 Jun 26
i think you've sold me on this unit, as well, Francis.

But, more than that, i'd just like to say the two paragraphs above that fold in references to "dangerous kitchen appliances", to centrifuges and to stern prohibitions from the scientist-wife ... that brought me a good chuckle.

2011 Jun 26
Francis

You sold me on it too. Picked one up yesterday and made split pea soup this morning -- really tasty. Tonight I am using it to make rice.

Tom

2011 Jun 26
What is the volume of it?

2011 Jun 27
A few people have asked about the centrifuges (I have to admit they do sound dangerous because they spin at a very high rpm, I would make sure they are well balanced every time they are loaded).

Centrifuge guy:

Blair Gemmell

> On 6/21/2011 10:26 AM, Blair Gemmell wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I still have some centrifuges left. I intend to relist soon. Call me at 613-521-7010 if still interested.
>>
>> Blair

2011 Jun 27
I found the volume of the instatnt pot on their web site here:

instantpot.com

Capacity: 6L/6.33 Qt

And I found this faq on converting recipes from 15 psi to 11 psi on their website:

instantpot.com/support/faq/

2011 Jun 27
Hi Food Buddy,

I also got the "short cut vegan" book on Amazon. Actually I'm eating mostly vegan, so I'll use this device more than my sous vide gadgets. I'm mainly cooking for other people with sous vide (vegetables need to be cooked at higher temperatures to break down the pectin and other stuff, 83C). The pressure cooker is great for vegetables, along with a good electric wok. The electric wok is very good for browning foods after sous vide as well. I finally found a good one (electric wok) on newegg.ca. We use it almost every day and it's holding up.

But I just checked, and they don't seem to carry it anymore. It the Aroma electric wok. Here is one on amazon.com. I put in a review and gave it 5 stars.

www.amazon.com

2011 Jun 30
Pea butter and other goodies:

seattlefoodgeek.com

2011 Jul 1
The seattle food geek blog is itself very interesting . . . .

seattlefoodgeek.com/

2011 Jul 1
"hip pressure cooking" site . . .

www.hippressurecooking.com/

Lots of interesting information, for example, pressure cooked eggs (steamed) are easy to peel:

www.hippressurecooking.com

Lots of interesting recipes on the site too . . . such as the French Pressure Cooker Baked Eggs pictured.

2011 Jul 2
This lady did sous vide duck in the instantpot on the keep warm function, with the lid open:

maomaomom.com

2011 Jul 5
We recently bought one of the "fastcooking.ca" pressure cookers. Miss Vickie's website and cookbooks are definitely a great resource. Her caveat about electric pressure cookers is that, unlike the stove top ones, you don't have a way to cool them off quickly because you can't just pull them off the stove and/or stick them under cold water to stop the cooking process quickly.

Pressure cookers are a great way to beat the summer heat when cooking.

2011 Jul 5
Wow this website is dangerous for making me want new toys.

This one would save some space though, replacing three bulky devices.

2011 Jul 5
I can confirm that this is a really nice appliance. The build quality is unusually good -- especially the pot, where it matters most.

I bought one yesterday and enjoyed steamed dumplings and bean curd for dinner. Then I made a delicious broth from pork bones (plus ginger, onion, carrots, celery, pho spices, etc) in under one hour!

Finally, I used the delayed start feature and awoke to fresh congee for breakfast (see pic). I westernized it by adding some chopped bacon.

The 6-quart capacity is quite good, but still smaller than my existing (non-electric) pressure cooker and my slow cooker. The real question is if my wife will embrace it or be p'd off when she returns from vacation. ;-)

2011 Jul 5
Okay I am pretty much sold on this device. Now, where can I get the best deal? I'm a student so saving money for my Beau's Festivale account is important!
I've priced out buying it directly from their website and with a coupon that I found on maomaomom.com for 30$ off I can get one for 148$ shipping and tax inclusive. Any Suggestions!

2011 Jul 5
The InstantPot folks are offering us a negotiated group price that is definitely the best deal you will find.

To get the deal, fill in the form here: instantpot.com/contact-us/ and put "Ottawa Foodies purchase" in the Subject line of your message.

For competitive reasons, we can't disclose the price in the public forum but it is a significant discount!

BTW, it is a local company. Nice to see!

2011 Jul 6
Thank you for that ! I will share my experiences with the device and the fun food I create when I get my new kitchen toy! My partner will be happy to get rid of the old rice cooker and slow cooker!

2011 Jul 6
OK the making the broth thing has me hooked. We can no longer use the tetra packs of Campbell's broth as convenience because they are not gluten free. I make my own broth too - but it always takes a while, so if I'm going to make lots this sounds like a great way to go.

I'm also hoping my wife will embrace this, as opposed to the eye roll I can see coming :)

2011 Jul 9
Darren,

Since it's a local company you may be able to save even more arranging pickup instead of shipping.

Sourdough,

I found this page on making vegetable broths in the pressure cooker:

2011 Jul 11
Thanks Francis - I got mine on Friday. It was a busy weekend so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet - maybe tonight.
FF I'm impressed by your instapot blitz.
Question to anyone - what are you using for a steamer basket? Bamboo, SS?

2011 Jul 11
I've been using a little round Corningware food storage dish (without the lid of course) because it fits perfectly. However, it's a bit dodgy to take out using tongs and a spatula, and it only holds enough food for one person. I position it on top of the trivet that came with the instantpot.

So I'm also trying to find a multi-level steaming solution that will fit inside the instantpot. I have a family to feed and we all love dumplings! Ideally, it would have three levels, with perforations to allow steam penetration, and a handle for easy extraction. Even more ideally, the instantpot would come with its own such steamer basket!

2011 Jul 11
Does the instantpot have replacement parts that are easy to purchase & replace? How much was this thing?

2011 Jul 11
Parts: instantpot.com/store/

The Ottawa Foodies price is less than the $160 list price. Can't post the deal here but I can tell you in private.

2011 Jul 11
Chimi, they are a local company and can get you parts you need if it breaks. Comes with a 1 year warranty.

2011 Jul 11
FF,

I've seen it mentioned on a few websites that you can use foil strips to lift out hot dishes more easily than with tongs.

I did a google search and found this. Haven't tried it, but it seems to make sense:

missvickie.com

www.miscdebris.com

As for a multi-level steamer, not having found something suitable (although you could try that store across the street east of the Kowloon Market). I experimented with making stackable steamers for cooking natto.

You can buy small stainless bowls at the dollar store (dog bowls if they will fit) and drill holes in them with a hand drill. You don't need many holes. A half dozen holes up near the top and a few in the sides, but especially at lowest part of the bowl, so condensing liquid can drain back out.

--------------------------------------

Re: local company

Instant Pot address from the website:
instantpot.com/contact-us/

11 300 Earl Grey Dr. Suite 383
Ottawa, Ontario, K2T 1C1
Canada

2011 Jul 13
I'm going to be picking one up tomorrow evening! I'll be waiting until I move into my new place before experimenting with it, but may lend it to friends in the meanwhile. Will report back.

2011 Jul 23
Temperature of a smoker 220F

Temperature of 11psi pressure cooker 240F

That got me to thinking :-), can the two be combined to make an indoor pressure cooker and smoker?

Apparently yes. Check this out: (anyone care to try it besides me?)

www.uberreview.com

and this

www.markstechnologynews.com

I don't know if I'm brave enough to try it in my instantpot. Maybe I'll try it in my old pressure cooker first. And line the bottom with foil before putting in the wet sawdust, so it won't be burnt and baked on in case this all goes horribly wrong.

2011 Jul 24
I just did a smoked pork shoulder at 55C for 30 hours. I didn't use the instant pot, but I'm sure it would work equally as well. Baldwin actually recommends 65C for 24 hours, and you can get that with the instant pot.

The smoked pork shoulder roast is already vacuum packed in food grade plastic at the supermarket. Just put it in the instant pot, fill with hot tap water, set to keep warm and leave for 24 hours, lid off (check the water for evaporation once in a while).

That's it. Super simple and so tender and great smoky flavour.

2011 Jul 24
Francis

There is a sous vide recipe for duck breast on the instantpot web site. I like "hot tubbing" steaks before cooking them on the barbecue. Essentially, you vacuum seal the steaks and put them in a hot bath for an hour. Up to now, I have used my sink with hot tap water. This coming weekend, I am going to try using the instantpot following the advice for cooking duck breast sous vide.

Tom

2011 Jul 24
@foodbuddy, hot tubbing is a good idea. my hot water tap is around 130F.

The instant pot keep warm is 65C (lid open), which is 150F.

Baldwin (the sous vide guru) suggests doing steaks at 130F for 10 hours, then searing on the grill.

Re: smoking in the instant pot

I picked up some mesquite wood chips at Wal-Mart ($2.99 a bag). I also got some stainless steel shot glasses at the dollar store (2 for $1). I'm going to put the wood chips (or soak them then shred them in a food processor into sawdust) into the shots in the bottom of the instant pot, then a trivet, then some potatoes.

Let's see what happens . . .

Just trying it now in my old pressure cooker . . . put in about 1 cm of water, the shots full of wood chips and a grate, and potatoes on top of that. Getting steam escaping from the vent as normal, but no smoke or smoke smell. Think it's a dud. I think I need to get rid of the water and just use wet wood chips in the bottom. Will line with foil first.

2012 Sep 30
I love love love my instant pot. I have been cooking much more since it is so convenient and easy to use. I cooked a whole chicken in Tandoori seasoning with cubed potatoes the other day and it was soooo good. The meat was so soft and juicy I could cut it with a fork. The best part about the instant pot is that it really cuts down on the amount of oil and salt needed for cooking so it's really ideal for healthy eating. And having cooked beans in only 25 minutes without pre-soaking is heaven-on-earth to me :)

I'd like to cook something with chicken and coconut milk tonight if anyone has any recipe ideas...

2012 Nov 19
www.amazon.ca

Great deal that I thought should be shared.

2013 Apr 30
The deal is back ... been meaning to bump this thread anyway with all the recent talk of crock pots

www.amazon.ca

2013 May 1
I'd really like to get one of these, but haven't heard anyone on this thread talk about how it performs as a slow cooker. If it could replace my frequently used crock pot, I'd be thrilled.

2013 May 1
It has a slow cooker mode but I have not used it yet in that mode. Should work great though based on the other functions.

Join the foodies maling list and ask there - a bunch of guys there have them and use them all the time

yowsers.ca

2013 May 1
It works great - replaces slow cooker as fast cooker :) It has a delay function I think, although I haven't used that yet. However I've done stews and stock and it works great for that. For stews, usually 1 hour start to finish (including heatup time) does the trick.

I mostly use mine as a rice cooker.

2013 Jul 22
New cookbook out for the Instantpot ... written by some pressure-cooker experts

instantpot.com

2013 Jul 24
I wonder if they'd still offer the OF deal, I never saw this before and I'm really interested in getting one.

2013 Jul 24
They'll give you a deal if you get enough people to buy them. The brewers got together a few months ago and picked up 10 or 12 collectively, and we got the same deal. You can always contact them and ask - he's a really nice guy.

2013 Jul 25
I think I saw it for amazon for $135?

2013 Aug 3
The deal zym posted is $115 on amazon.ca. But I think if you get a group together you may be able to beat that price of you contact instapot. The inventor is in Ottawa and he IS a nice guy. It's good to see a local company making cool gadgets too.

2013 Aug 3
I didn't realize that instapot cookbook was a free download. Thanks Zym. I've got some squash in the garden now and was wondering what I can try with it.

I'm going to try that first recipe for squash and ginger soup.

instantpot.com

2013 Aug 5
Well I just tried caramelized squash following Nathan Myhrvold's recipe . . .

Apparently if you add baking soda it creates an alkaline environment which lowers the temperature of caramelization to pressure cooker temperatures.

I put cut up squash, onions, garlic, salt and baking soda into the pressure cooker. It worked. Everything caramelized through and through. It tastes pretty good, but I put in a tad too much baking soda, about a tablespoon. About half that would have done better I think.

Here, watch Nathan do it:

www.nytimes.com

2013 Sep 19
It's on sale at amazon.ca for $115 again, free shipping.

www.amazon.ca

2014 Apr 5
I know it's easy to cook potatoes . . . but steamed whole potatoes come out really well in this. Just put in some water, the trivet and the potatoes above. Steam for 15 minutes. They they have an even consistency all through.

2014 Apr 5
Since the thread got bumped I'll add this - I've been using mine every week to make beef stew for lunches for work. Yes, I don't mind eating beef stew for lunch every day for several months on end :-)

What I love about doing it in the Instant Pot is that prep takes me 25 to 30 minutes and then I just set it for manual mode, 31 minutes. (Prime numbers cook better, it is a scientific fact). Then I can just forget about it. When it is done it takes care of itself and even keeps it warm until I am ready to deal with it.

I make a full pot on Sunday and it makes my lunches for the week.

2014 Apr 5
The 'set it and forget it' always makes me think of this.

Hey! Why does the link not show up?

2014 Apr 5
Dear warby, please fix the links to videos ...

2014 Apr 5
Rizak, that video is a hoot.

2014 Apr 5
Worked for me on iPhone but not iMac desktop in Chrome, if that helps.

2014 Apr 5
I reproduced the problem on Mac Chrome and Firefox, updated my embedding code, and now it seems to work everywhere I tried.

Please let me know if it still isn't working for you!

2014 Apr 5
Now that's service! Thanks :-)

Works in Chrome on Linux

2014 Apr 7
Ubuntu rocks !

Does everyone know about the HTTPS EVERYWHERE plugin for Chrome and Firefox ?

It will uses HTTPS automatically if the server supports it.

Its more secure, why not? I don't notice any performance hit.

2014 Aug 11
My weekly stew for my lunches at work. In the video you can see last week's.

This week was onion, garlic, carrots, parsnip and rutabaga. I forgot to put in a couple of potatoes to thicken - doh!

Absolutely love my Instant Pot!

2014 Aug 11
It's become the "vitamix" of programmable cookers. There are FB groups built around sharing recipes for it.

2015 Sep 12
I am becoming intrigued by this. Does anyone have anything to add?

2015 Sep 12
I'm a member of a vegan Instant Pot Group on FB:

www.facebook.com

There are non-vegan Instant Pot Groups too.

I have the original model not the latest one.

For the price, you can make a lot of things in it.

It's one kitchen thing that I do use a lot (unlike others that seemed cool at the time).

I probably use it as much or more than my blender.

It's great for sushi rice, steamed potatoes and cooking dry beans.

2015 Sep 12
Felinefan

I highly recommend the Instant Pot. We bought it simply to make rice as we were tired having our rice stick to the non-stick rice cooker we had. It does a really good job at making rice but also does a really good job cooking any other things. As Francis says, it can be used to cook dried beans (we will never buy cans again) and also to steam vegetables. It is also great making stews and soups. Last weekend, we made a risotto in the Instant Pot for a dinner party as it would be really simple. One of our guests was so impressed with the results that she went out and bought the Instant Pot the very next day.

2015 Sep 12
Love my Instant Pot, it saves me tons of time and the results have invariably been excellent. I've made stews, Texas chili, steamed vegetables,* pulled chicken/pork (great for enchilada/burrito filling, make a huge batch and freeze), dried beans, anything I used to use a slow cooker for, and then some.

Beyond the time savings, most of the things I cook start and finish in the pressure cooker, one-pot cleanup. Sear meat or veg, sautee onions, add other ingredients, seal, walk away.

* this recipe is one of my favourites, you're steaming sweet potatoes while super-savoury black-eyed peas cook underneath them. I can't imagine the hassle of making it any other way:

2015 Sep 12
Oh I have the ebook version of this book directly from the veggie queen website, and all the recipes are Instant Pot. I haven't had a fail yet from this book:

www.amazon.ca

2015 Sep 12
I cooked some quinoa in around 8 minutes, actually a mix of grains and then had some like rice pudding by adding sugar and nuts afterwards.
It was good.

I would use the instant pot more,but could not get to the grocery store this week and my freezer barely works,so waiting to get a new fridge and freezer to do more cooking.

2015 Nov 27
Current Amazon price is $120 for 6 quart model. I assume this is the best deal around at the moment?

2015 Nov 27
Even cheaper if you buy through Amazon.com instead of Amazon.ca. but needs to ship to Ogdensberg or other US address.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/

www.amazon.ca

2015 Nov 27
$105 after exchange rate + gas + time, it's pretty much a wash.

Cool. Good deal to be had on both sides of the border.

2015 Nov 27
It's $82.20 in USD at the $119 CAD price - not worth driving to get it if you ask me.

There's 10k people on the Facebook page now and they are all ordering second pots like crazy today. I wish I was the guy (from Ottawa) that invented this thing...lol.

2015 Nov 28
There are Lux50, Lux60, Duo50 and Duo60... Pros/Cons and recommendations on the different models?

Okay seems the 50 and 60 means 5QT and 6QT. Any feedback on the 50 vs 60? Duos are 7-in-1 and Lux is 6-in-1 programmable with yogurt maker being the difference? Anyone used the yogurt maker and it is worth the extra cost on amazon? which is about $40 since LUX60 is C$110 and DUO60 is C$150 on amazon.ca.

2015 Nov 29
The Instant Pot is also on sale on Bestbuy.ca but prices lower than amazon.ca currently for the DUOs and same for the LUXs.

Model Best Buy Amazon
DUO-60 $139.99 149.95
DUO-50 $119.99 139.95
LUX-60 $109.99 109.99
LUX-50 $104.99 104.99

2015 Dec 5
There were some great deals on Black Friday and Cyber week, amazon.ca and walmart.

I think I may end up getting a Bluetooth soon.

I have my original model one going on 5 years. It doesn't saute, make yogurt or talk to my phone though. Still cooks great, but feeling deprived.

2015 Dec 5
I just received mine, the bluetooth version. Does anyone have any advice for "poaching" eggs?

2015 Dec 5
nice felinefan. Let us know who it goes.

Looked at the Bluetooth version and it was almost twice the price of the DUO-60 so after some consideration ended up buying the Duo-60. lol If I start feeling deprived and/or need the incremental scripting ability, could always give the one that is coming to my sister and get a new one.

2015 Dec 5
I have used my instant pot to poach eggs. We use the silicone poachers and place them on a rack above the water at the bottom. We cook them for 4 minutes and then a quick release about 3 minutes or so after it finishes. The centers are still a bit runny.

2015 Dec 5
Food Buddy, do you just use the Steam setting? What are the whites like? I'm looking for the near impossible runny yolk but set white.

2015 Dec 5
@feline, do you know about the Instant Pot Community group on FB ? There are plenty of posts on cooking eggs there.

www.facebook.com

-------------------------------------------

So many posts on eggs. Here we go....EGGS MADE EASY.
1 cup of water
14 eggs! Or however many you like.
4 minutes steam!
If you like creamy yolks, go 3 minutes.
2 minutes = not done!
smile emoticon

Quick release
Remove pot
Put under cold water
Wait a couple of minutes
Peel and enjoy.
You can natural release too...you can use an ice bath too...doesn't matter..will come out the same, every time.
I had no cracked eggs this time. Usually I'll have one or two, but it's the egg, not the cooker.....or the cook! LOL

2015 Dec 6
Francis, I just heard about the facebook group the other day. Looks like lots of good info. Here are a couple more:

Hippressurecooking. Com
pressurecookingtoday.com

And if you go to egullet. Com and search "Instant Pot" you will find a lot of info there was well.

2015 Dec 6
Okay the DUO60 arrived.

uhmm been looking at the instant pot books and might do eggs 1st then yogurt and brown/white rice before moving to more fragrant stuff.

I was surprised half the recipes are in Chinese. Some good ones though.

2015 Dec 7
I don't use the recipe book that came with it. The IP fan base has come up with so much more.

Check the instant pot community group on FB. Lots of stuff posted every day.

2015 Dec 7
The Chinese ones are good for my parents though.. Also they are more comfortable with books vs electronic versions.

Found some interesting stuff online such as the yogurt and some cake recipe.

2015 Dec 11
I saw some recipes on FB for char sui pork and some for braised hot pot . . .

2015 Dec 11
I been eyeing the Kalua pork recipe :D Dreams of being in Hawaii again vs going into winter lol

2015 Dec 12
Is there a search button for recipes on the facebook page?

2015 Dec 13
On FB you can search within a group from a computer but not a phone. There are a few Ottawa Foodies on that Instant Pot Community Group. :-)

2015 Dec 15
Lasagna cooked in the IP.

2015 Dec 15
Recipe ?

2015 Dec 15
Francis, i'd be happy to. Can you send me an email address I can send it to? This was my first go at it and was very pleased with the results. Everything goes in raw.

2015 Dec 16
Can't you just post the receipt so we can all have it?

2015 Dec 16
Zym, I'll be happy to post it once I have finished tweeking it. Basically, layer your ingredients the way you normally would. I used a 7" springform pan. Everything goes in raw, including the noodles. Cook at high pressure for 20 minutes, natural release for 20 then let it rest for 10. This size serves 2 with a bit left over for lunch the next day.

2015 Dec 19
Just tried pressure boiling raw peanuts (in the shells) in it. Green Fresh had some raw peanuts on sale and I saw people from the south making boiled peanuts in the IP, so I wanted to try it.

Not sure how fresh the raw peanuts were, because I did notice a sour smell on the drive home, and it was the peanuts.

Put them in with just enough water to cover and a fair amount of salt. Cooked for 55 min, NPR.

The peanuts were soft inside the shells, and awesomely delicious. You really can't stop eating them once you start.

People say unless you are from the south, you will never like boiled peanuts. But that's not true, these things are very, very good. I will be making it again.

2015 Dec 19
I remember driving through Louisiana and Texas and even the gas station had boiled peanuts. I remember buying a huge 32 oz cup of spicy boiled peanut and eating them while driving and tossing the shell in my empty coffee cup :D

2015 Dec 26
The Duo is on sale on amazon.ca for $119 free shipping.

www.amazon.ca

2015 Dec 26
Ok, I finally caved. DUO60 will be here on Thursday!

2015 Dec 27
Make a cheesecake :-)

2015 Dec 27
I might have to buy a smaller springform pan to make a cheesecake. Will an 8" springform fit?

2015 Dec 27
No, the bottom interior of the IP measures 7 1/2" so you need a 7" or smaller springform pan.

2015 Dec 27
Thanks, that's what I figured.

2015 Dec 27
Samoa cheesecake done in the IP.

2015 Dec 27
That looks really good !

2015 Dec 28
damn, I checked on Dec 25 but forgot to check Dec 26 :( It is now back to $139.

2016 Nov 16
Article on the Ottawa success story of the Instant Pot: ottawacitizen.com

2017 Jan 7
Is that Lasagne recipe ready for posting yet felinefan ?

What about that cheesecake?

2017 Jan 7
Instant Pot Lasagna Pie

Note: all ingredients are raw. I used a 7" springform pan

6 Dry flat (no curly edges) lasagna noodles (regular, not oven ready)
500 ml pasta sauce
150 gm Ricotta cheese
1 t dried basil
Salt and pepper
1 small egg
1/2 cup grated parmessan cheese plus a bit more for the topping
150 gm mozzerella
2 Italian sausage (300 gm.)

IMPORTANT: SPRAY A 7" SPRINGFORM PAN.

Mix ricotta, basil, parmesan, egg together along with some salt and pepper.

Soak noodles in boiling water to make them easier to cut to fit.

Put a couple of spoonfuls of sauce in bottom of pan. Cover with 1 layer of noodles.

Cover with:

1/2 of ricotta mixture,
half the sausage
sprinkle with some mozz
put sauce over that.

Repeat

Add top layer of noodles, add sauce and sprinkle with mozz cheese then parm.

Cover with aluminum foil. Place on trivet in IP with 1.5 cups water.

Cook 20 mins on manual HP, then natural release for 20 minutes.

Let sit 10 mins before removing sides of pan and serving.

2017 Jan 7
The recipe above works for us. If your sauce is very runny you may want to reduce it a bit first.

2017 Jan 7
Here is the cheesecake recipe.

Pressure Cooker Samoa Cheesecake
Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients

Crust 

1/2 cup crushed chocolate graham cracker cookies
2 tablespoons butter melted

Filling
12-ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
2 eggs, room temperature
1 egg yolk, room temperature

Topping
1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
12 chewy caramels, unwrapped (I prefer Kraft)
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped semisweet chocolate

Directions

Prepare a 7 inch springform pan by coating it with a non-stick spray.
In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and butter. Spread evenly in the bottom and up the side of the pan. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
In a mixing bowl mix cream cheese and sugar at medium speed until smooth, blend in heavy cream, sour cream, vanilla, and flour. Mix in eggs one at a time just until blended; don't over mix. Pour batter into the springform pan on top of the crust. Cover top of springform pan with aluminum foil.
Pour 1 cup of water into the pressure cooking pot, and place the trivet in the bottom. Carefully center the filled pan on a foil sling* and lower it into the pressure cooking pot. Fold the foil sling down so that it doesn't interfere with closing the lid.
Lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and set the timer for 35 minutes. When beep sounds, turn off pressure cooker. use a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, and then do a quick pressure release to release any remaining pressure. When valve drops carefully remove lid. Remove cheesecake and check the cheesecake to see if the middle is set. If not, cook the cheesecake an additional 5 minutes.
Remove the springform pan to a wire rack to cool. Remove aluminum foil. When cheesecake is cooled, refrigerate covered with plastic wrap for at least 4 hours or overnight.
When cheesecake is chilled, prepare topping:
Preheat oven to 300. Spread coconut evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet and toast 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until coconut is golden. Cool on baking sheet.
When the coconut is cool, place caramels and cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds. When smooth, stir in toasted coconut. Carefully spread the topping evenly over the top of the cheesecake.
Melt chocolate in microwave safe bowl on 50% power, stirring often. When melted, put in a small Ziploc bag, snip off a little bit of the corner of the bag. Drizzle over the top of the caramel topping.

Source: Pressure Cooking Today

2017 Jan 7
To me, many foods prepared with a slow cooker don't taste as good as cooking on a stove top. Is the Instant Pot the same as or better than a slow cooker in terms of taste? Same as or better than a stove top?

2017 Jan 8
cardamom, if interested here is an interesting review comparing results of cooking with Dutch oven, slow cooker and pressure cooker: www.seriouseats.com

2017 Jan 8
Thanks Andy! That's exactly what I needed to know.

2017 Jan 9
You are welcome cardamom. I read that great comparison when I was doing a little research before Xmas as I had spied an Instantpot box hidden in a basement storeroom. Oh what is it, says I as I unwrap it. Opened it up and was confused, not an Instantpot but a very nice 16 L Spanish stockpot - the Instantpot box was all that Paradis could find to put it in as dw wanted a box for it. Its been used already for a large pot of seafood chowder and it'll get used more than an Instantpot in our house, I think, but may never know for sure.

2017 Jan 9
Currently making my pea soup from this thread

Forum - Pea Soup

Missing from the original recipe are a few bay leaves.

Also used a lot less water in the Instantpot - about 10 cups

Used manual for 31 minutes - because prime numbers produce better results!

2017 Jan 10
Here is an interesting article published today by the Washington Post. It contains some guidelines have how to adjust recipes depending upon whether it is going to be braised stovetop, cooked in a pressure cooker or cooked in a slow cooker.

www.washingtonpost.com

2017 Jan 26
www.cbc.ca

Secret to the success of this Ottawa invention.

2017 Feb 1
More insight on the Instant Pot, from the New York Times:

www.nytimes.com

2017 Mar 16

2017 Mar 18
I'm glad to hear so many good reviews because we weren't happy with our Instapot so we took it back and asked for a replacement in case ours was defective. We cooked rice, following the instructions in their recipe book. The rice was dry on top and soggy on the bottom. Next we tried it as a slow cooker but after 12 hours the pork ribs on the top were still uncooked and the ones on the bottom were barely cooked. After that amount of time I was expecting them to be so tender with the meat falling off the bones. We haven't tried the new pot yet---some of our enthusiasm has gone.

2017 May 23
Now it's a cult:

www.tastecooking.com

2017 Jul 11
Instantpot Duo 7 in 1 8 quart for C$99 on Amazon Prime Deal..

www.amazon.ca