Restaurant recommendations for Ogdensburg/Canton? [Travel]

2011 Mar 4
Hi folks,

Any recommendations for good lunch places in or between Ogdensburg and Canton? We're heading down tomorrow and I'm way behind on my research. Nothing fancy; just tasty. Maybe in the diner/BBQ joint sort of theme...

2011 Mar 4
there is "The Olde Smokehouse" on county rd 14in Madrid NY that is pretty good (real slow smoked ribs) but I think they open late afternoon around 2. Just remember they pronounce it MADrid, not maDRID like the city in spain. Also if you are near Potsdam there is a pizza place called Sergi's on the main street that has a great eggplant and prosciutto pizza. I've also had decent food at Philip's diner in downtown Ogdensburg. Lots of good diners around but they come and go, so generally anyplace that has a hand painted "fish fry" sign out front is worth trying.

2011 Mar 4
One of my favorite research tools is: www.roadfood.com another is www.tvfoodmaps.com and then maps.google.com as you can see your route, what cities you'll be passing and choose the search nearby option and get a listing.

Is this the route you'd be taking?
maps.google.com,+NY,+United+States&daddr=Canton,+OH&hl=en&geocode=FdX6qQIdgCuA-ymjB8GuTKrNTDHroqpzbV-PMw%3BFeOKbgIdcUMm-ympgJnST8g2iDFLb_qfpJvMEg&mra=ls&sll=40.798947,-81.378447&sspn=0.210517,0.258865&g=Canton,+OH,+United+States&ie=UTF8&z=7

Going with your BBQ theme, Roadfood listed Kennedy's B.B.Q. in Canton, OH (www.roadfood.com) with the following must eats: Bean Soup (bowl), Pork Sandwich, Chili (cup), Corn Bread

Depending on how far off your route you want to go, you could hit two Dinosaur BBQs. One in Syracuse and another in Rochester. Roadfood lists Dinosaur Bar-b-que - Syracuse, NY (www.roadfood.com ) with the following must eats: Big Ass Pork Plate, Bar-B-Que Pork Ribs (3/4 Rack), BBQ Ribs, Pulled Pork Sandwich. I'd say something like the Tres Hombre as you get a bit of an overview as there is Pulled Pork a Quarter Rack and some Brisket. For me a must eat there is the Root Beer as it is on tap and yummy! For addresses see: www.dinosaurbarbque.com

If you haven't already done it and if you're gonna be headed through Buffalo you could do the wing thing and hit Duff's (www.roadfood.com) and/or The Anchor Bar (www.roadfood.com). Needless to say the must eats at both are wings.

2011 Mar 4
Thanks for the links so far! I should have clarified that we're headed for Canton, NY, and not Canton, OH. So there's a very small window that I want to choose from.

I saw Dinosaur linked in a previous discussion, and definitely want to try it, but not on this trip. Maybe if we ever have to *go* to Syracuse for some reason...

Buffalo's also something we'll do later. My in-laws are in Hamilton, and I gotta have me some beef on weck and wings one weekend.

2011 Mar 4
I haven't been in the area since about 2007 but is the 1844 House on Route 11 between Potsdam and Canton still going strong? www.1844house.com

In Canton, there are a couple of places on the main drag

www.urbanspoon.com

but I wouldn't say anywhere stands out.

2011 Mar 4
If you want a little taste of the Dinosaur, check out the grocery stores in Oggie or Canton. They usually stock some of the Dinosaur sauces. Another local specialty in that aisle is the State Fair Chicken Sauce. It's in a salad dressing type bottle and looks like it has separated. Easy way to do Cornell style chicken at home.

2011 Mar 5
We ended up having lunch at McCarthy's, on Hwy 11 just outside of Canton. It was OK, nothing special, but everybody was really friendly.

Unfortunately, they're closing down for good in a couple of weeks because the couple who owned it is retiring and they couldn't find a buyer to take it over :(

2011 Apr 22
Damn I should have checked this thread before going!

Ended up at Jreck Subs with the boys (by the Wal-Mart). They liked it but I found it a good step below subway. Blech.

Any further recommendations?

Anything to do there with kids? (not necessarily food related)

2011 Apr 23
agree with you on Jreck - we used to call it Dreck. Re with kids: This part of New York state is great for hunting & fishing, if your kids are into that. Also lots of calm water canoeing and kayaking between Oggie and Massena. You can drop a canoe into the river in downtown potsdam and paddle over to a tiny one person picnic area (complete with table and grill) that is not accessible by land. In Oggie there is a great Frederick Remington museum if the kids are old enough: www.fredericremington.org/

Potsdam has SUNY Potsdam and the Crane School of music that has a lot of great musical performances including a community performance series:
www2.potsdam.edu

The season for county fairs,church suppers and firehouse bbqs is just beginning. From May to September there is something going on just about every saturday in one of the small towns in the area. We have been to them everywhere:gouverneur, madrid, malone, massena, potsdam etc. They vary in quality but are always at least interesting. Usually the local Friday paper lists the events for the week, and in the summertime, many of the church suppers etc. are on weeknights as well.

Just beware that it's hit and miss. We drove 40 minutes once to the New York State Poultry Association Swap Meet, that was touted as one of the largest in the state, in search of home baking, antiques etc. When we arrived the only thing to be swapped was poultry. Live poultry. We did see some interesting pigeon rolling LOL.

2011 Dec 16
Was down there this evening again picking up another order of beans for Bytown Beanery, and asked the guy at the UPS store where was a place to get a decent burger. He recommended Buster's Sports Bar, so that is where I went with my 2 boys.

www.busterssportsbarny.com

It is along the main drag ("highway", he called it) just outside of Ogdensburg right beside the McDonald's. We went in and the place was just hopping. From out in the parking lot the food smelled really good, and we were not disappointed. The menu was pretty diverse with selections like home-cooking style food (which looked pretty good on other people's plates), but we all had pub food. I had the Buster Burger, one son had a Chicken Burger, and the other had a Grilled Cheese.

The fries that came with them were lightly battered and hands down the best fries I've had in about as long as I can remember.

The burger was good if a little charred on the outside, but at least done on the inside. My 2 boys were both very happy with their meals.

I'll go back again for sure and next time try some of the home cooking type selections.

2011 Dec 16
Too funny Zymurgist, I just got home from Oggie/Massena tonight too. Whatever you do, avoid the Seaway Diner, which is about 15 min. north of Ogdensburg on rt. 37. I have wanted to stop there many times, and unfortunately did so today. There is a smokehouse on site, and you can smell the wonderful wood fires as you approach. It was promising, but the food is not great. We had the turkey, St. Louis style ribs and brisket, and all were disappointing. The brisket, advertised as tender smoked up to 18 hours, was tough, grey and lacking in flavor. The other meats were similarly dry and tasteless (and the ribs tasted as if they had been boiled first). Also the tap water reeked of sulphur, and so the iced tea was not dinkable. Everything drenched in one of 3 bbq sauces.

On a brighter note, we drove about 15 minutes south of Oggie to the town of Heuvelton where there is an Amish General Store that I read about in the citizen about a week ago. Tons of great crafts, quilts, wooden toys etc., and today they had cheese curds that were SO good, complete with the appropriate squeak. lots of locally raised herbs and spices, local honey and handmade furniture. Definitely worth a visit if you are in Ogdensburg, and I did notice a small diner across the street for future reference.

2011 Dec 16
Hey is that right on Highway 37? Can't find it in google maps. I have to go there now out of morbid curiosity :-)

Also gotta check out that Amish general store!

2011 Dec 16
This "Ole Smokehouse" not too far away seems to get good reviews

maps.google.ca,+NY,+USA&hl=en&cid=6025375913009358203

2011 Dec 17
I went to the Ole Smokehouse earlier this year. Had a good pulled pork sandwich. Unfortunately, they weren't serving ribs at lunch that day...they
were still smoking out back. Maybe call ahead to confirm since I may just have been there on a slow day.

When I drove back across the border into Ontario I was stopped by US export control. The border guard asked what I had been up to, so I told him I'd been to the Ole Smokehouse. He asked what I'd had for lunch, so I told him about the pulled pork. He paused, gave me a funny glance and asked "Why didn't you have the barbeque chicken wings? They're frickin' amazing!"

2011 Dec 18
I will second (third?) the Ole Smokehouse. The SIde ribs and pulled pork are both great. I am not too fond of the brisket. The sides are whatever (or worse) - stick with fries and beans and you are fine, but start to stray and it is up to you.

But, I make the drive down there twice a year, so that says something.

Oh, and only Bud Lite on tap (best you can do is Sam Adams in a bottle)

2011 Dec 18
Been to the ole smokehouse in Madrid a couple of times and like it a lot. Have had the ribs, but now will have to try the chicken wings DD. I know that sometimes they don't open until 2 in the afternoon, so maybe there is more on offer if you go later in the day. And you will mark yourself as a tourist immediately if you pronounce it "maDRID" like the city in Spain. It is pronounced "MADrid" with the accent on the first syllable. And Zy yes the seaway diner is right on 37 on the north side of the street. If you go, please review, as I'm hoping my experience was not typical.

2011 Dec 21
There's a little pub just off the waterfront in Ogdensburg that we liked - can't remember the name, unfortunately, and it's east-ish of "downtown". FAR better than Donut King, in the same plaza as the Save-a-Lot *gag*

2012 Jan 15
I really must disagree with BLUBARRY in reference to the Seaway Diner and smokehouse!!! we go there alot and LOVE the food...we have been there and actually pulled our ribs off his smoker (not boiled) and have never gotten any meat that was drenched in sauce. maybe they got a bad briskett but I can say that usually it it great , it is our favorite . I really feel that with ANY place we all should try it more than once before we post negative comments all restaurants work very hard abd all can have a bad day,BLUBARRY please try this place again we love it and all the friends we have sent have thanked us for the reccomendation

2012 Mar 10
Well that Amish General Store (Pickins) in Heuvelton sure was disappointing. Not at all what I was expecting and not much there. Some nice Amish furniture I guess, and some jams, honey and maple syrup. Not sure what I was expecting but not that. Too bad because I was flipping a coin between going there or going to one of the smokehouses listed above, and chose there. Next time, it will be a smokehouse.

Fortunately Buster's did not disappoint. And even better, my receipt from the UPS store had a coupon on it for 10% off at Buster's. Hard to go wrong when you get 2 meals and 2 beers for 28 bucks!

If my wife ever gets off her keester and gets a passport, we can make a trip down with the family some time. As it stands, Bytown Beanery is all stocked up with fresh beans and we're raring to go :-)

2012 Mar 11
10 minute detour west of Watertown brings you to Sackets Harbor. The Hop Spot is a funky little beer/brew-centric restaurant serving locally sourced food.
Wife and I decided to split one of their Reubens but quickly ordered a second. So good. One of the owners is an ex-pat Canuck and is scratch-making their smoked meat. Well worth it.

2012 Mar 12
Thanks Daft_diner, but that does not appear to be anywhere near this general area. Sounds like a nice place though that might one day be worth the detour.

2012 Jul 15
This time I went to Phillip's Diner on 415 Ford ST - and wow google streetview does not cover Ogdensburg!

Anyway, it was an old school diner - very friendly place. My son's chicken burger was really good according to him. Fries were a bit soggy and non descript. My hamburger was not in the running for the best I'd ever had but also not in the running for the worst. Milkshakes were fantastic. My other son's blueberry pancakes looked really good. And the price sure was right at $25 for the 3 of us.

We also noticed an Italia restaurant we're going to try next time.

2012 Jul 15
We always go to Little Italy restaurant. Great prices, good food and super Italian tacky decor :-)

Here is my review on Trip Advisor:

www.tripadvisor.ca

2012 Jul 15
That's the place I saw Poutine - thanks for the review

2012 Jul 17
Zym, the owner (he's Canadian) also gives out bridge token if you spend a certain amount. I think that's a nice touch.

2012 Nov 16
Crosslink Forum - Next time you're in Ogdensburg

BTW we went to that Italian place last time and really liked it - will definitely go back. The pizza was very good, next time I'll try something else. Nice faux fancy / tacky atmosphere. But not fancy enough for the waiter to wear anything but track pants and a t shirt :-)

2012 Nov 17
Zym;
If it was during the day, that would have been the owner Joe. For some reason he only knows 2 types of dress: trackpants/suit. At night he wears a suit, and I'd never seen him in anything else until I went over for lunch one day and found him in trackpants, it was very disconcerting.

The foods good, ordering either pizza, the specials, or the alfredo is always a good bet. Also a note: while they aren't good for people who need to avoid cross contamination, they do have gluten free pasta and it's QUITE good!

I say the above because I avoid gluten, if I eat too much of it I get sick, but am fine with cc. For ex. with my GF pasta, I got served a bun, and I imagine some of the sauces are not GF(like the chicken in the alfredo I believe is coated before being fried), but still very good!

Other rec. would include "The Place" a tiny hole in the wall very "local" bar that serves wings, get the whiskey wings, or the pizza. Crazy cheap and delicious.

Also I haven't been, but my parents went to Busters, and had what they called "Ball Park fries" French fries tossed in garlic butter & parmesan. Sign me up!

2012 Nov 17
We went to the Dirty Gringo today as per the recommendation in the other thread and we really liked it, though my 8 year old said my tacos are a lot better :-) 3 generous tacos for 5 bucks is pretty hard to beat.

only downside is they are not licensed :-(

2012 Nov 18
My parents got to Vinn's quite a bit. I have never been but they have brought me home wings which are always very good. They say it is quite the dive but portions are large, prices are cheap. Wing night is Thursdays.

www.urbanspoon.com