Baconnaise [General]

2010 Jul 23
yessi posted a picture in Forum - A Chef's Perspective on Ottawa

I'd already been thinking about this - making mayonnaise with bacon fat instead of vegetable oil.

Anyone ever try something like that?

Forum - home made mayo

2010 Jul 23
I am thinking of bacon fat mayonannaise on a BLT on Rideau Bakery dark rye thickly sliced.

Would you use the bacon fat after frying it or would you render it?

2010 Jul 23
Oh, unnecessary backstory, you ask?
So, I was in the Perth grocery store's check-out line last weekend, raving to my friend about my love for bacon and bacon-wrapped foods, when a man behind me politely interrupts: "Maam, have you heard of Baconnaise? It's mayonnaise, but bacon-flavoured."
And. My. Heart. Fluttered.

Edited to add:
I can see myself making jars of baconnaise, rather than fruit jams, as an old lady. Let us know how it turns out!

2010 Jul 23
Absinthe does/did a baconnaise for their burger on the lunch menu, it was outstanding. It probably included bacon fat, and also some pureed bacon "solids". Smoky, bacon'y, heart-stopping'y (yessi, this might have explained your heart fluttering), definitely delicious.

2010 Jul 23
Wouldn't the impurity in the bacon fat cause it to spoil very quickly?

2010 Jul 23
AFAIK bacon fat after frying IS rendered

I then filter it through a coffee filter so there should not be any impurities.

I'm going to try this later today with a couple of teaspoons of bacon fat in place of that same amount of oil. Will make a video of course, and let you know how it turns out :-)

2010 Jul 23
Yes frying does render but it also will cook the fat.
Rendering to me is lower heat, much like rendering duck fat.

I am sure it will be wonderful.

2010 Jul 23
I am most excited by the prospect of baconnaise because of a possible subsitution in the following recipe:
es.wikipedia.org

Much like Patatas Bravas (which I've also seen served with mayonnaise), it's all about the combined goodness of greasy potatoes and yummy sauce.

Imagine: Diced fried potatoes topped with baconnaise and hot sauce

2010 Jul 23
Oh. Yum. Patatas Bravas are my favourite potato dish. Yum, yum yum.

2010 Jul 28
personally I prefer mayo made with duck fat (and some sunflower oil...antifreeze)
hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm duck fat
and after watching Guy Fieri's response to the foodTv program "the best thing I ever ate" and his response being tempura bacon...my only thought is dipping it in duck fat mayo and my "shut down London" hot sauce

2010 Jul 29
We have tried Baconnaise. We picked some up on a trip to Syracuse last fall. It sounds good but it tastes bad! It is very artificial tasting... chemically. We ended up trying a couple of times but it went in the garbage.

2010 Jul 29
I'm sure home made will be better - I still have not made it but will be soon. Maybe even today.

Duck fat is another good idea! Also, chicken fat! I have lots of it around.

2010 Jul 29
zymurgist, if you have a lot of chicken fat, I have an heavenly chopped liver recipe if you want it. Its originally from Paul Prudhomme.

2010 Jul 29
Great, you can stick it in this thread :

Forum - Chopped Liver

2010 Jul 29
Hey, hey, hey. You guys -- break it up. Let's get back on topic.
Discuss:
store.baconsalt.com

2010 Jul 29
Yup, I just ordered a jar of baconnaise. 1.5 to 3 weeks for delivery. O, the agony.

2010 Jul 29
did you see the ingredient list on that mayo?

2010 Jul 29
Way to ruin a good thing!!! Just take some cooked bacon & whiz it up with some bacon fat in a blender, then fold it into some Hellman's. Voila!

2010 Jul 29
Bacon-flavoured formula? Are you serious? It can't be that much worse than regular formula, I s'ppose.

2010 Jul 29
I think it's a joke. That is, 90% of me believes/hopes it's a joke.

And then a small part of me believes that maybe my mother opted for bacon formula, and this accounts for my obsession.

2010 Jul 29
There is a story from when I was a baby - my parents mentioned something about me having bacon and eggs and my grandfather flipped out until they told him that it was bacon and egg flavoured baby food. Seems they had that back then ...

2010 Jul 30
i love bacon spiked aioli/spread/vinaigrette but i first choose the healthiest option possible. a fantastic baconnaise i had a few times at @atelier which was the highlight of this dish in this photo (flanked left by a sauteed morel and right with a spherified liquid cheese. this lean bacon spread was thickened with tapioca starch or tapioca maltodextrin -- a starch with no inherent flavor and also gluten free.

one version you can try at home and enjoy in moderation: nuke smoked bacon until as much fat is removed (to minimize the unhealthy combo of starch/carbs + fat), grind in a blender to bits, mix with tapioca starch + water, and add a touch of maple syrup just because you like flavor. no more salt or fake mayo needed or added, trace amounts of fat from the lean bacon, no oils blah blah. a leaner, strongly flavored bacon spread and (hopefully) healthier option. goes GREAT on shawarma! i bet you'll find it RAPTUROUS! remember if it's good for your heart, it's good for your mojo.

2010 Aug 6
I finally made it! Tastes most excellent!