Urban Foraging [General]

2010 Mar 14
I plan to do a lot of it this year. Here is me getting some smoker wood from a service berry tree at the end of the street

urbanhippy.ca

Later in the year I'll be harvesting the berries from the same tree!

Anyone else do any urban foraging?

I've been looking for sugar maples I can tap, but no luck. Anyone have one in their yard they'd like to donate to the cause?

2010 Mar 14
Depends how much you're willing to violate the NCC's rules about not taking anything from their lands, heh. I once asked the NCC if they'd be okay with me collecting a couple samples of deadfall wood to make bow-drill sets out of (I even embellished it, saying it was for teaching some kid scouts). They hummed and hawed, took three or four weeks to answer a bureaucratic 'no'. I have my bow-drill sets anyway.
If you know where to look there are some black raspberry patches around, apple trees, raspberries and thimbleberries. I've gathered dandelions to make wine, black raspberries to make wine. Not enough raspberries to do wine, you might scrounge together enough for jam. Simpler to just go to one of the u-pick farms like Orleans Fruit Farm to get masses of raspberries.
Common milkweed shoots are edible if you get them early enough but I've never tried them. Cat tail shoots are edible also, though I'd rather not eat anything growing in most of the waterways in this region, bleh. Wild carrot roots are edible, but be absolutely positive you've identified it properly as it looks similar to water hemlock, which is poisonous. Japanese Knotweed shoots are supposedly edible also. All of these grow all over the place in this region. There are other edible plants that are common here but you're getting into tricky territory with edible plants of all types. I lean heavily towards caution if I'm considering eating any plant or berry from the wild. Check, check, check then recheck. Make damn sure it's properly identified and even then only try a little bit at first (they're edible but you may have an allergy).
This web site is a good starting point for learning and identifying some common 'weeds' in this region:
www.omafra.gov.on.ca

2010 Mar 14
We had sugar maples on our land growing up that we would tap every year.. I have pretty fond memories. Unfortunately I live in a high-rise downtown now. =\
This is a really interesting concept, I think. I would like to learn more about urban foraging.

2010 Mar 15
my concern with urban foraging is the contaminated soil in downtown/centertown ottawa. i won't grow any edible plants in the ground around my house. all the land in the area hit by the great fire of 1900 has been subjected too so many pollutants that full decontamination is almost impossible. building up raised beds can work, but i worry about upward leaching. the area around dow's lake is especially bad. they are currently removing contaminated land at booth/rochester/carling and have to use very stringent guidelines (covered trucks, no loose soil). people have been asked to not open their windows during the workday. i received a pamphlet from government listing the contaminants and their levels measured in the soil and it was very alarming.

i also agree with hatman about having concern over the water quality of our urban waterways.

i have no hesitation of foraging near my cottage, just not in the downtown of ottawa.

2010 Mar 15
Urban foraging is fun, if you know what you're looking for and where to look for it. This could be as simple as picking a few bags of dandelion in your back yard or searching for wild fennel on the high way. My dad and I use to do it a lot, when I was younger. My nonna also showed me a lot of interesting places to forage hidden gems.

It's also growing to be extremely trendy, which is awesome, but can be really horrible (especially if you're trying to keep certain areas secret so that others don't yield all the goods).

2010 Mar 15
HFF: I share those same concerns regarding pollutants. That's why, with the exception of mint, any edibles we do grow in our Parkdale Market area backyard are bush/cane/vine fruits or are container grown. For that matter, my mint was container grown for the first time last year and actually did better. ;) I'm still waiting to see how it over-wintered in its pot.

We have our yard populated with these edibles to encourage the kids to forage as they play. We like to call it our "urban jungle". ;)

2010 Mar 15
I was thinking of doing some "gorilla gardening" this year. I have been scoping out places to plant on my walks since the fall. I like the idea of walking around and seeing progress of the plants. Hoping that perhaps some of my fellow foodies on here will find them and smile/pick. I've scoped out spots near fences by bus stops and school yards for climbing beans. An empty lot for some squash. Some already planted but poorly maintained beds for some kale/chard and hope that they grow and look pretty. I had forgotten about the pollutants factor... *sigh*

2010 Mar 15
I think you mean "Guerrilla", but yeah, I'm already scheming planing some wild leeks in a few spots near our house. Refashionista already takes care of a park near our house where she has planted a number of different plants in the last few years. Not edible - just to make it look nice :-)

2010 Mar 15
i garden in pots too (does that make me a pot gardener?). i'd never be brave enough to put mint in my garden - it takes over.

as for guerilla gardening, if you have seen any city/neighbourhood planter boxes on your walk, these are available for adoption. ages ago, i lived in the glebe in an apartment and adopted a few cement planter boxes along fifth ave. i did herbs, flowers, and veggies. boxes are nice because they are off the ground. people will take stuff out of them, but that is part of community. gardening in public space on the ground is harder - people throw trash, dogs & cats use it a bathroom, cigarette butts, all kinds of nasty things get thrown in. i'd stick with just flowers for something like that.

there is a group of secret gardeners in ottawa and across the country. some of the gardens are beautiful and so original. be creative and take your space - but remember it is community space and other may take some as well.

also, if you are lacking garden space, there are garden plots downtown available in the organized community gardens.

2010 Mar 15
Mushrooms, berries, ramps, rhubarb, nettles... all available throughout the region. Some of the most impressive morels I found were in town. Also, I have some (what appears to be) turkey tail fungus growing on a tree in my back yard - bonus!

2010 Mar 16
I've found some good urban areas on both sides of the river for milkweed pods, wild strawberries, black raspberries, shagy mane mushrooms...

But free urban food doesn't have to be limited to plants.

I've also caught some pretty good fish in Gatineau (ruisseau de la Brasserie). I've seen many urban fishermen in Ottawa too.

I've also seen rabbits, deers and, of course, lots of Canada geese in town, but I've not found a legal way to "forage" any of these (yes, I am one of these People Eating Tasty Animals).

2010 Mar 16
Isabelle, make friends with native people, I believe they can hunt deer and geese year round? The Crees in particular, canadian geese are their bird of choice.

2010 Mar 17
Hi spud guy,

Thanks for the suggestion, but my issue is not with the restrictions in the hunting seasons. I'm ok with hunting seasons, I was just noting that it would be easy to add some meat on the urban menu if hunting within city limits was allowed. I do have all the necessary permits to hunt myself, but city bylaws that forbid using any weapon in the city (including a bow) make it very difficult to catch those urban animals. Of course, those geese are so unconcerned with humans that it would be easy to catch them by hand, but that's not a legal hunting method ;-p Every time I hear that the city is looking for ways to reduce the number of geese, I can't help but think that the solution should include giving the meat to hungry people.

I now live outside of city limits, so my foraging options at home are a bit wider. Any rabbit or groundhog caught munching on my garden risks ending up on the menu.

2010 Mar 17
I think Canada Geese are protected anyway, are they not?

But you could always smack one with your car and claim it as roadkill perhaps!

Forum - Road Kill

2010 Mar 17
You can hunt geese, but there are specific hunting regulations and permits for all migratory birds in Ontario.

2010 Mar 17
has anyone eaten Canada goose?
didn't know they were protected...hmmm.

Isabelle, grabbing one by the neck would seem to be easy, but hang on for the ride, some of them are huge! Good idea about feeding the unfortunate.

Can't hunt in Ottawa?...we hear gunfire in the fall (or is it spring?) here in Osgoode...seems to be very close...we are in the City limits...unless you want something delivered!

2010 Mar 17
Geese are not a protected species.
www.on.ec.gc.ca

2010 Mar 17
Excellent! Let the scheming begin!

2010 Mar 17
Would it be legal to snare them? Not that I have much interest in zymurgist bringing one home & expecting me to pluck it.

I would, however, be much more likely to *eat* it than to eat any roadkill that he might be tempted to plop on our table! ;)

2010 Mar 17
Those interested in guerrilla gardening: I know there are places along the green belt and along bike paths throughout the city that might be suitable. Look for a secluded spot with good sun exposure that is off the trail enough to not be seen - or at least not easily seen. You don't really want some jackass wrecking your work or calling the NCC on you. Soil quality could be an issue. Some land is "wasteland" for a reason. Water for watering the plants could be tricky as well; a rain catch could be set up near the plot. If I was to do something like this I'd probably set up a few scattered trailing vine type plants - squash, pumpkins, cucumbers. You don't really need to break a lot of ground for them and they'll climb up other plants in the area to compete for sunlight.

Geese/ local animal hunting... Well, as someone said, these birds are so tame you could walk up and crack the neck with your hands. A pocket knife would probably do the trick too. Technically only 'switch blade' type knives are illegal to carry in Canada (not sure on local what by-laws would say) - though of course an officer can decide whether a knife is suspicious or not. I doubt they'd kick up a fuss over a swiss army knife in normal situations but probably would over a hunting knife in a shopping mall. Regardless, killing then cleaning the goose would be messy. Someone's sure to notice, see it as messed up and call the cops or something. You might make the news.
Snaring is pretty heavily restricted I believe. Ontario's Hunting Regulations says:
"Snares cannot be used, except by the holder of a resident’s small game licence for taking varying hares north of the French and Mattawa rivers with a snare constructed of copper or brass wire between 22 and 24 gauge. The opening of the snare wire loop must be 10 cm (4 in.) or less in diameter.
Licensed trappers may use snares under conditions specified
in the Trapping regulations."
It's understandable that it's restricted, it's a pretty brutal method which can easily mess up and catch a leg instead of the neck, or a larger animal's leg.

2010 Mar 17
I'm admitedly more familiar with Quebec than with Ontario hunting regulations, but I'm fairly certain that hunting with a knife or your bare hands is illegal in both provinces (except for catching frogs in Quebec... seriously).

But as geese are migratory birds, the hunting laws that apply to them are federal anyway. If I remember correctly, legal weapons for geese are limited to shotguns and long bows.

As for hunting within city limits, spud guy, maybe Ottawa does allows use of weapons in rural areas, I don't know the bylaws that well. Or maybe some hunters are just ignoring the bylaws. I'm sure that walking down the Ottawa River Parkway with a shotgun would be frowned upon though.

I know that after the amalgamation, even archery became illegal everywhere in Gatineau, including the rural areas. Cities cannot really make hunting illegal (as it is provincial, not municipal jurisdiction), but they go around that by making weapon use illegal.

As for rabbit/hare snares, I wouldn't use them in an urban area, too many cats.

2010 Mar 18
I'd consider it a bonus to take out a few cats on the way, Isabelle :-)

2010 Mar 19
Hunting allowed in ottawa? Yes. The restriction is based on density and nearest residence - there is hunting, bow and gun around me all the time. So don't expect to see guns/bows inside the greenbelt, but in rural areas it is permitted.

It is perfectly acceptable to hunt geese any where in Canada, in season, and with a gun. I've eaten goose a few times, its not bad but I prefer farm raised to Canada goose. Wild Goose is pretty lean compared to the farm raised variety. Lots of people I know use their limit on Canada goose and eat them throughout the year. The Canada goose population is huge and growing btw.

2010 Mar 24
article in today's g&m - foodies make their own maple syrup. nothing too insightful, but interesting points on knowing your city's bylaws towards tapping trees on any city owned property. also, one group tried tapping norway maples which are hugely abundant downtown (horrible trees). no feedback on the quality of syrup from them.

www.theglobeandmail.com

2010 Mar 27
I grew up on wild game and poultry--probably why I was a vegetarian for some time--just make sure you research before you prepare and cook. Please make sure you prepare the game, lots of soaking, marinading and good prep before you begin cooking. And then choose the right method for cooking. Wild game is far different to cook than farmed. Check out ministry of natural resources links for good hints

2010 Mar 29
@Hatman
re: guerrilla gardening -- I found a field/empty lot not too far from home that tends to get bushes and wild grasses growing in it. I thought I'd probably set up some squash, pumpkins, cucumbers and let them roam and do their thing. Sure people may see them but if nothing happens or I lose them, the only investment was a bunch of seeds. No big deal. I am also considering sticking with green varieties as the orange and yellows etc. would draw more attention. Sure I could try for something more secluded but a big part of the draw for me is that it is easy and little effort for me to get to. I was originally going to try and keep it quiet and subtle but realized that the more you plant the higher the odds are for germination etc. so I am considering going nuts with it. I giggle at the though of this lot covered in them. I hope things take off, it works and humans get more produce than wild animals.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Foraging of another nature from www.ottawa.ca

2010 weekends to discover hidden treasures have been chosen!
* Spring Give Away Weekend will take place at the end of Waste Reduction Week – Saturday, June 5 and Sunday, June 6, 2010
* Fall Give Away Weekend will take place at the end of Waste Reduction Week – Saturday, October 23 and Sunday, October 24, 2010
One person’s trash is another person’s treasure. So don't put your unwanted bounty pieces in the garbage. Set them out at the curb on Give Away Weekend. For you treasure hunters, tour your neighbourhood, community and city to find those hidden gems. (See the link for more information.)

2010 Mar 29
live4food,
that doesn't sound like a good idea to me. if i live in your area, i will be really annoyed to find someone haphazardedly growing squash. first of all, what was in this lot? i have 2 empty lots in our not to far area, both were abandoned gas stations, both are contaminated soil, both are overgrown, but this is part of the decontamination process, as i understand it. the first of the lots if finally being developed after being empty 7+ years.

garden bombing an empty lot with squash and cucumber will create an even more unsightly mess. they are low growing, sprawling plants. the stalk of these plants is very thick and hairy - you need gloves to tend to them. will you tend to the veggies or let them rot on the vine - creating an even bigger mess. will you water them? will kids be running through here? will dogs be peeing on your vegetables and making then unedible?

i get that you want to add your mark on the city, why don't you use some packets of wildflower seeds and grow something beautiful and native in a small part of the city. show people that the empty lot can be beautiful and enjoyed by all. set up a trellis and put down some climbing peas - they will be pee free, edible and the flowers are lovely to look at.

it just sounds to me like you are going to create an even bigger mess than is already there, just for the sake of it.

2010 Mar 29
It is not a manicured lawn or anything like it. I had noticed that there already were all sorts of bushes and thistles already there so I didn't think adding other pricklies would matter. (The last two years I have been watching the place and it seems to be maintained but not often. The waist high bushes and wild plants get cut down late in the fall, making Spring a nice fresh start.) It was my intention to have planted around the known bush areas but a bit in from the street. I was going to harvest the veggies if there were any and had no problem sharing with others including passers by, friends, nearby shelters and yes, I have gloves. I like gardening and eating/cooking the bounty the gardening provides. I used to share a lot with friends but it was far away and getting there for maintainence was a pain. There is only so much I can grow in pots and bigger self watering containers at m home. I liked the idea of having some earth close to home with good sun exposure and space for plants to roam.

Dunno what was previously in the lot and I hadn't thought of that, so either I need to skip the edibles or do some research to find out what was there. I'll look for nearby beds and do rainbow chard and other ornamental leafies.

2010 Mar 29
I have some barley I want to plant somewhere! I'd put it on NCC land but they mow too often ...

2010 Mar 29
It is not a manicured lawn or anything like it. I had noticed that there already were all sorts of bushes and thistles already there so I didn't think adding other pricklies would matter. (The last two years I have been watching the place and it seems to be maintained but not often. The waist high bushes and wild plants get cut down late in the fall, making Spring a nice fresh start.) It was my intention to have planted around the known bush areas but a bit in from the street. I was going to harvest the veggies if there were any and had no problem sharing with others including passers by, friends, nearby shelters and yes, I have gloves. I like gardening and eating/cooking the bounty the gardening provides. I used to share a lot with friends but it was far away and getting there for maintainence was a pain. There is only so much I can grow in pots and bigger self watering containers at m home. I liked the idea of having some earth close to home with good sun exposure and space for plants to roam.

Dunno what was previously in the lot and I hadn't thought of that, so either I need to skip the edibles or do some research to find out what was there. I'll look for nearby beds and do rainbow chard and other ornamental leafies.

2010 Mar 29
zym, there are gorilla gardens on ncc property in the arlington woods area. there are lots of spots like that where houses back onto ncc or city owned land where people have taken over a little (or sometimes big) spot. i have found all kinds of hidden gardens during the summer soltice orienteering events. you'd be amazed at what people are growing on public land. i don't think i've seen barley, the biggest thing was corn.

live4food, now it sounds like you are going to start up a proper vegetable bed? will you subliment the soil? how will you get the water to it? will you first clean it up and then plant your seeds and/or seedlings? what is the lot connected to?

like i told you already, there are lots of secret gardens downtown, there are spots you can have as your own as well, but just going to an empty lot and planting pumpkins to share with shelters seems destined to create more of a mess. have you seen a neglected pumpkin patch?

2010 Mar 29
Hmmmm, I have a good friend right on the edge of arlington woods, and am going to visit tomorrow :-)

2010 Apr 15
Wild leeks are going strong now. Gatineau park is running a strong 'don't pick the leeks' campaign this year, with signs up telling you not to, and asking you to narc on anyone you see doing it. There are plenty of places outside of Gatineau park that they grow in abundance so this shouldn't be an issue for anyone willing to look around the various forested areas. The bulbs are still small but the greens are glorious. By the time the bulbs are larger the greens tend to wilt and die, so the next few weeks are the time if you're looking for nice onioney salad greens or sauteing vegi's. Just pick one or two from each little cluster, leaving the rest to repopulate next year. You can sometimes find some seed clusters from last year: they'll be black, glossy seeds (about 1 to 2 mm in diameter) on a small cluster about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Again, if you're going to take some to plant elsewhere, just take a few so the one's there can repopulate for next year. I'll be doing some sauteed chard with wild leeks, tossing some in a potato salad, and perhaps adding some to a potato and cauliflower soup. Worth getting the hands muddy for.

2010 Apr 15
Haven't seen any morels yet, I think the overnight temps are still too low to promote growth. Maybe another week, looking at the forecast, or maybe I'll just have to drive a bit further south ;) Ramps, haven't been looking for any but have heard they are popping. Haven't seen any wild rhubarb yet either... same goes with burdock, maybe another 3-4 weeks before they're ready.

2010 Apr 15
About wild leeks...

Gatineau Park doesn't only have a campaign to tell people not to pick them, it's backed by some serious regulations that have been in place for 15 years in Quebec. Picking up wild leeks in most parks in Quebec, including Gatineau Park, will result in a large fine and the plants being confiscated (and put back in the ground if possible).

In Quebec, outside of protected areas, you are allowed to pick only 50 plants of wild leeks a year.

As the species is apparently not endangered in Ontario (so far), there are no regulations against picking it and sale is still legal in that province.

2010 Apr 15
Just to be clear, my harvest was from the Ontario side of the river, from multiple patches, one or two from each bunch. Low impact, sustainable, blah blah blah. I was raised with a respect for parks; take nothing, leave nothing...
If leeks grow as abundantly over there as they do here, I am forced to wonder just what `threatened species` means and what the significance of the Ottawa river is in determining such things.

2010 Apr 15
I've actually been looking for a source of wild leeks so I can start propagating them and guerrilla-gardening them. PM me if you care to tell me where I can get a few so I can try to do that.

2010 Apr 16
As a biologist, I am particularly sensitive to species at risk either federally or provincially. Now guerrilla gardening I certainly do support.

Wiki content:

In Canada, wild leeks are considered rare delicacies. Since the growth of leeks is not as widespread as in Appalachia and because of destructive human practices, wild leeks are a threatened species in Quebec.

Allium tricoccum is a protected species under Quebec legislation. A person may have wild leek in his or her possession outside its natural environment or may harvest it for the purposes of personal consumption in an annual quantity not exceeding 200 grams of any of its parts or a maximum of 50 bulbs or 50 plants, provided that those activities do not take place in a park within the meaning of the parks act. The protected status also prohibits any commercial transactions of wild leeks; this prevents restaurants from serving wild leeks as is done in the United States. Failure to comply with these laws is punishable by a fine.[5] However, the law does not always stop poachers, who find a ready market across the border in Ontario (especially in the Ottawa area), where wild leeks may be legally harvested and sold.[6]

2010 Apr 16
Jagash: I don't know if it's any more explicit in the Wiki, but it's only restaurants in Quebec that can't serve wild leeks, right? I've had them in Ottawa restaurants a couple of times, and haven't ever considered that it could have been illegal.

Man, I just remembered that I have a single jar of pickled ramps in my pantry from last year that I haven't opened yet. Hope they're still good!

2010 Apr 16
Zym: Don't know if you had seen this, but a quick Googling pulled up this study about cultivating ramps/wild leeks. It may be useful: www.hort.purdue.edu

2010 Apr 16
Correct, it's legal in Ontario and Illegal in Quebec. I personally err on the side of conservation and will avoid eating the things.

2010 Apr 19
I am all for sustainable harvesting of wild plants, and it's great that some people do bother to be careful and do that!

As for the different rules in Quebec and Ontario, well, my guess is they were just much more popular in the past in Quebec, so they were picked to extinction in some areas. I remember huge jars for sale at the markets every summer when I was a kid. And many commercial pickers would just pick all the plants they saw, with no care for the plant being there or not the following year. After all, it's all over the woods, so why worry...

Sure, there are a lot of wild leeks in Gatineau Park and some other protected areas, but I guess that only shows how much there would be everywhere if it had not been harvested so much. Maybe it will eventually come back enough for restrictions to be lifted. Would be nice if restaurants could serve them.

2010 Apr 19
Quite right. In my eyes, conservation and practicing outdoor skills are not mutually exclusive. Right off the top, most people don't do wild edibles, even less practice other survival skills like running a bow drill. Walking off a trail to learn to identify plant species or practice compass use aren't crimes in my book. Nor is reasonable gathering of edible species for personal use in a non-protected environment - barring reasonable laws against it. Nor is gathering some dead ceder wood to make bow drill sets. Life on this planet has made it through extinction level events, it will most certainly make it through humans. Commercial gathering I'm more resistant to. There's an organic farm in Michigan which keeps a portion of its land as forest as a wild leek farm.

This kind of commercial use seems perfectly acceptable, but going in with a shovel and clearing out patches that have taken years to develop obviously isn't.

How about a less controversial wild edible: common violets. Violet jelly anyone? Nice, delicate flavor and pretty easy to make.
www.eattheweeds.com

2010 Apr 19
I used to make candied rose petals from wild roses and candied violets from the wild violets when I was a kid. The purple ones have a delicate floral smell, but the teeny white violets actually tasted and smelled like licorice. I don't know if the little white ones grow here in ON (I grew up in NS), but I'd imagine they do. :)

I wonder if cultivated varieties work as well. I'm about to be inundated with violets any day now!

2010 Apr 19
I know the white violet's you're talking about, they grow in a swampy area of my parents property in Nova Scotia. They're smaller than the common blue violet, but similar in appearance. I believe it's the sweet white violet which does grow in Ontario as well (ontariowildflowers.com) but I'm not entirely sure. N.S. has a couple other types of white violets.

2010 Apr 19
Totally OT at this point, but I've found what seems to be some sort of cut-leaf violet here that's kind of neat. I don't know if it's a native plant or an escaped garden plant, but I swapped a tiny specimen of it for another plant at our local park to add to my collection. I've at least five different violets spreading throughout my yard now. ;)

ETA: The odd one actually looks a lot like this: ontariowildflowers.com It's growing throughout the park near our house.

2010 Apr 20
you can also candy pansy flowers, though my mom always ate them as is. marigolds as well. both types of flowers look great in a salad.

EDIT: adding that i have read that dried marigold flowers can be used inplace of saffron in casseroles.

2010 Apr 22
I found a site which might be useful for those trying to find out if potential foraging grounds may be on contaminated soil or not. The federal government keeps records of all contaminated sites under its jurisdiction and at least some of the info is available online:
www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/fcsi-rscf/
I find the easiest way to search is go to 'Map Navigator', select Ontario then zoom in on the Ottawa region... and see a lot of dots/ 8 digit numbers. You can then plug one of these 8 digit numbers into the 'Federal Site Identifier' search to find the report on that specific site.

2010 Apr 25
I just got to meet the neighbours by offering to help trim their crab apple tree

And got a whole crapload of wood for the smoker in the process :-)

2010 Apr 26
I recently found out about a nice lady named Martha Weber who runs a series of hikes and nature interpretations in the region. Among other things she runs a wild edibles course meeting once a week for six weeks to go into the field and benefit from her expertise. Amazing lady, she really knows her stuff.
www.dandelionjam.com/

2010 Apr 26
Martha is amazing-in her 80's she has more energy than most folks I know. Once a month she is involved in a "Families In Nature" program on the Carp Ridge. She also runs summer camps and field trips in the summer.

2012 Apr 29
Hey all. I figured this would be the topic to post these pics in and get some responses. I didn't pick/eat any of them as I was not 100% sure of their identity. I have read about arrowleaf and well this one looked like it had arrowish leaves.

2012 Apr 29
And I know these are young ferns, as there were a bunch scattered about the area, but I was just curious if they are overly mature or immature fiddleheads or even if they are edible.

I'm really amped for this summer, as I have decided to delve into the wonderful world of wild edibles and all it has to offer. I have already purchased a couple of mushroom field guides and have a book out of the library on wild plants, and I have been scouring the internet's resources as well.