monty pictorial - makin' bacon [General]

2010 Jan 29
hey everyone.

haven't had much time to post these days but have been actively smoking/grilling when my schedule permits.

thought i would share one of my recent successes - maple cured & smoked bacon.

enjoy!

-monty

2010 Jan 29
Ingredients

1/4 cup Kosher Salt
2 tsp Cure #1 (aka Pink Salt, InstaCure #1, Prague Powder #1)
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Maple Syrup

5 lb Pork Belly

2010 Jan 29
Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add syrup and stir until well combined.

Rub cure mixture on belly making sure to cover the entire surface. Place skin side down in a large sealable bag, expel all air, and fold the empty end of the bag under so that the belly is in close contact with the bag. During the curing time the belly will release liquid, and it is important that this liquid stay in contact with the meat.

2010 Jan 29
Refrigerate 7 – 10 days until belly is firm(er) to the touch with no soft spots. During the curing time, turn the bag over once a day or once every other day to redistribute the cure (this is called overhauling).

When belly is fully cured, rinse thoroughly with water or soak for 1-2 hours depending on your preference for saltiness. You can test the flavour by slicing off a small piece of the belly and frying it.

Pat dry and place belly on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet. Air dry uncovered in the refrigerator overnight (12 – 24 hours).

[my girlfriend was HORRIFIED to see this in the sink hahaha]

2010 Jan 29
Once bacon has been dried place into a 120 - 140° preheated smoker with damper half open and apply smoke. I usually apply 2-3 hours of maple wood.

After you have applied your smoke, increase heat to 160°F and cook the bacon to your desired internal temperature. There are generally two internal temperatures that are used to smoke bacon - if you want to bacon raw, the recommended temperature is 137°F - 139°F. For fully cooked smoked bacon it is generally 150°F - 155°F.

2010 Jan 29
After the desired internal temperature has been reached, remove from smoker and allow to cool. When cool enough to handle pull the skin off, making sure you leave as much fat on the bacon as possible.

2010 Jan 29
Cool overnight in the fridge, slice/package or feast on the next day.

You will never buy bacon again :)

2010 Jan 30
Looks great monty. I just got back from South Texas where every small town we drove through the only thing you could smell was mesquite. We ate lots of smoked brisket. You should see the set ups they have down there large smoke houses right in the front of their places. If it wasn't so cold I would do a brisket today.

2010 Jan 30
Well done monty! Funny, I woke up this morning with a major hankering for some of my own home made bacon. I've got a bunch of it in the freezer - it stores really well vacuum sealed

2010 Jan 31
BTW monty, you are slowly winning me over to one of these electric smokers. The convenience just seems unbeatable. Especially the ability to control the temperature so well. But where are you smoking this time of year?

Another note on the cure - I do it differently and do a fully-immersed brine for 2 days in my standard brining solution. My solution is similar to what you list here, though, except I don't use any chemicals. I may experiment next time with leaving it brine longer.

EDIT: also - where are you getting your pork bellies? My only source at the moment comes with a whole pig attached :-) I'd like to be able to buy reasonably priced, local bellies if possible.

2010 Jan 31
zym - the Bradley is really versatile. the temperature holds nicely because of the design and the heating element seems to have pretty minute control. it's a great tool. can't sing enough praises.

the cabinet is insulated so i can smoke year-round. stuffed full of food, it is hard to get it much above 200F in this weather though. we did some entertaining yesterday and i did ribs. since it was -20C, after smoking for 2 1/2 hours i just pulled them and finished in the oven. the Bradley cabinet is essentially a 500W oven anyways - food is never smoked to completion, you just apply the smoke for the first few hours.

re: curing. using the Instacure #1 or another pre-mixed cure imparts that cured "flavour", and gives the meat a nice colour. it also acts as an anti-bacterial agent against botulism. smoking at very low temperatures, in a smoker, without oxygen, is a recipe for bacteria growth - the meat is in the prime 'danger zone'. using a nitrate or nitrite prevents the bacteria growth. Instacure #1 is only 6.25% sodium nitrite - the rest is salt. 1 pound of Instacure will cure 480lbs of meat. the "chemicals" are miniscule. perhaps someone more well-versed in curing can chime in here, but IMO it's a necessity!

pork bellies are plentiful in Chinatown. i got to Kowloon Market. they're also available at T&T (along with pig hoof).

Ken - was this a vacation based around food destinations? awesome! the Bradley mesquite is STRONG. be careful with that stuff.

2010 Jan 31
I'm not worried about that because I cook my bacon first monty :-) Nothing like some sizzling pork fat to kill any and all bacteria.

But I may try some for the sake of comparison just the same - to see if it makes better bacon.

2010 Jan 31
it does add a distinct cured flavour.

i was leery about using curing agents in food so i did a bit of reading first (Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing, Rytek Kutas).

there are different types/mixtures of cures, and as such different measured amounts for each depending on the level of sodium nitrite/nitrate in them. it's not like a BBQ rub where you can be liberal with the stuff ;)

2010 Feb 1
Monty - That's awesome. I should clip and save all of these hints for when we have a smoker of our own.

Does this mean that the Bradley has an adjustable thermostat, or are you controlling the temperature just by fiddling with the dampers?

2010 Feb 1
There are 2 models of Bradley - one more expensive than the other. Not sure what the differences are. If you search the Crappy Tire website on "smoker" you'll see one is just called the "Bradley Smoker" and the other is "Bradley Digital Smoker"

2010 Feb 1
momo/zym - the OBS (Original Bradley Smoker) just has a 'slider' to control the cabinet temperature. i monitor it with a pit thermometer. once you hit the sweet spot, the Bradley will hold a pretty steady temperature. like when i did the bacon, it was holding 160F +/- 2 or 3 degrees.

the DBS (Digital Bradley) can be set digitally, just like you would an oven.

to improve accuracy and/or temp swings a lot of smokers use a PID controller (proportional–integral–derivative controller). the PID uses an algorithm to automatically adjust power to the cabinet heater in order to compensate for temp swings. the temperature control can hold the smoking temperature within one degree precision. the new models even have food temperature probes, so you can have the smoker turn off (or hold warm) once your food hits the internal temperature of your liking.

www.auberins.com

if you're looking into getting one, get the Original Bradley when it's on sale (< $300), and get the PID.

2010 Feb 1
Hmmm, the gears are turning monty! See my response in the bradley thread ...

ottawafoodies.com/forum/2529

2010 Feb 19

Where can I get some instacure #1 locally?

2010 Feb 19
hey Orleansfoodie - it's been mentioned on OF that that Nicastro's has it. i wanted to make sure i got the real deal Instacure #1, so i bought some online. the Sausage Maker is a reputable source - www.sausagemaker.com

FYI Le Baron on Merivale also sells Bradley branded pre-mixed cures (Maple, Demerara) and Bradley pucks/bisquettes, which are cheaper and better stocked than Canadian Tire.

2010 Feb 20
Monty,
I managed to pick up some curing salt at Lavergne Western Beef, $3/kg. They make enough sausage there so I figured they would have the right stuff.

I picked up some bisquettes at Le Baron already, they are considerably cheaper than anywhere else.

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out.

2010 Feb 20
Monty the bacon king!!! Your bacon looks so good!
This link is for you, Monty : gadgets and designs inspired by bacon
www.toxel.com

2010 Feb 21
haven't tried this myself but have you tried using maple sugar??

2010 Feb 22
Not yet - but I only ever use honey in my brining and it is fantastic!

2010 Feb 22
I have some in a maple brine as we speak, we'll see how it works out next weekend.

2010 Mar 5
how'd the bacon turn out? or is it still curing ;)

by the way you should get 3 'pucksavers' - saves a ton of cash on partially burned pucks

www.smokeandstuff.com

2010 Mar 6
Bacon rockets!

2010 Mar 7
I smoked it yesterday, I cooked up a bit of it right away but found it too smokey so I wrapped it up and am letting it mellow out a little before I try it again.

I smoked it with 2 hours of pecan, maybe another wood (maple or fruit) will be required next time.

I'm very pleased with the look of it at least, I'll report back once I try it again.

2010 Mar 7
how long did you smoke it for? for me, 4-6 pucks (1hr20min - 2hrs) is usually more than enough smoke for most applications except brisket and pork butt.

letting it mellow will make a HUGE difference too. especially true with cheeses and nuts.

2010 Mar 7
it was smoked 2 hours - 6 pucks.

I noticed the nuts did mellow out with time, I've yet to try cheese.

2010 Mar 9
Eastcoast.chef - still haven't used maple sugar. agreed it would work quite well. quite a few users on another forum i read have done it in place of the brown sugar and gave some rave reviews!

if anyone is trying this, for the love of god don't use Aunt Jemima ;)

2010 Mar 10
Just tried the bacon again, much nicer now.

I found that it caramelized faster because of the maple syrup in the brine so I have to cook it at a lower temp once it gets going.

According to my wife this will have to be made again. I'll be more than happy to oblige.

2010 Mar 14
So I'm about to embark upon my own bacon adventures and this time around I was going to do some with nitrates, and some without. Where is a good source locally? Looks from above that Nicastro's? On Merivale? I can just walk in and get it?

2010 Mar 14

I don't use nitrates in my bacon. have never had any trouble with it in the past this way.

Have 4 pork legs curing right now for the past 2 weeks, used nitrates for these. starting smoking tomorrow maybe...4-5 hours a day for 5 days

2010 Mar 15
I've never used nitrites either for my bacon but want to do half with and half without this time around to compare

2010 Mar 25
Hey monty, where did you get 2 tsp insta-cure per 5 lbs of meat?

The manufacturer's website says to use 1 tsp per 5 lbs of meat.

www.sausagemaker.com

2010 Mar 25
the recipe is from another board i read but don't you worry! it's adapted from the bacon recipe in Charcuterie by Ruhlman/Polcyn which calls for 2tsp for a 5lb slab.

the normal convention is 1tsp for every 5lbs of meat when mixing in with sausage that will be smoked. for brines with cure added, and wet cures like this, it is common practice to use 2tsp. not sure why exactly, perhaps it's the rinse and soak after curing.

2010 Mar 25
Oh, OK. I'm guessing simply a matter that when mixing into sausage you'll get close to 100% of it staying in there. But the cure method it has to soak in slowly from the outside.

My books still have not shipped from amazon :-)

2012 Dec 31
My first time doing bacon in the Bradley so I'm referring to your notes monty - thanks a lot for posting this!

In spite of my initial problems things seem to be going well now, so I'll let you know how it turns out

2012 Dec 31
Zym,

Plan to cure my last pork belly this week. Somehow we need a GMO pig that is all belly. They sell out fast. Am working with one of the local farmers markets to take pork there this summer. Fingers crossed. They all seem to have some pretty archaic rules.

Bacon in the bradley is pretty simple. Set and forget! Hence why I am indebted to SmokerGuy.

k,

2012 Dec 31
It's your belly in there actually - been in my freezer way too long

Next up is an "eye of shoulder" to make some "buckboard bacon" or whatever all the crazy kids are calling it in the forums these days :-)

Just finishing it off in my oven right now since the bradley does not seem to be able to get up to temp in the lower temperatures outside. No big deal - smells pretty damned good!

2013 Jan 2
My new years resolution is to make Krusty brand bacon. (might have been my new years resolution last year too).

2013 Jan 2
I made my own bacon before Xmas using Morton's Tender Quick which has the nitrites/nitrates in it, curing similar to the method described above. Smoked on my weber smokey mountain for 5 hours with apple wood. Best bacon I've ever had and I'll never but store bought again!

2013 Jan 9
glad people are making use of this thread! here we are 2 years later and i still stand by my comment that the Bradley cannot be beat for charcuterie and sausage smoking.

zymurgist how did the bacon turn out? what do you think about the smoke flavour when comparing to charcoal + wood chips/chunks?

2013 Jan 9
Bacon turned out great although the Bradley had trouble getting up to temp and it was only -6 or something like that. Definitely will be using it a lot more.

2013 Jan 9
It's not only the cold, but the wind that is your enemy here. Keep it sheltered if at all possible and use a cylinder (ie alum pipe) to shield, but not restrict, the vent holes. About the best you can do in the winter.