coffee prices [General]

2009 Sep 24
i always buy my coffee beans from bridgehead, lately it is the house blend. this week, i noticed the prices had gone up again, i think that is the second hike this year. now a pound of the blend is $16.50. other, single beans seemed to be between the $16.50 - $17.50 mark.

what are other fair trade coffee beans going for?

when i work it out per cup, it is still very reasonable. it just seems like a dramatic jump in a short period. bridgehead does offer a buy 10, get 1 free, which is nice.

2009 Sep 24
International Kafia has most beans priced at $9 a pound. Kenya AA and Ethiopian Yirgacheffe are a bit more expensive, if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure they're fair trade certified. I've seen the logo about.

maps.google.com,+ON,+Canada&ie=UTF8&ll=45.376342,-75.749638&spn=0.010265,0.015492&t=h&z=16

2009 Sep 24
Int'l Kafia is an excellent spot for fresh coffee, but I don't think that all of their beans are fair trade cert., something you might end up paying a small premium for at their warehouse (located near the BBQ & Fireplace store & Canadian Tire). I think their more 'premium' beans go for about $11-12/lb

2009 Sep 24
I Deal Coffee on Dalhousie and Elizabeth Bruyere is selling excellent beans which come to about $8/ half pound I believe. This includes their organic certed beans; I think they are all fair trade.

2009 Sep 24
Roast at home. Buy green beans in bulk. I last bought beans in January - 50lbs of them. And I still have a good 15 lbs left.

2009 Sep 24
Zym - I can hardly wait to move, storing a big sack of coffee in my apt. wasn't necessarily feasible, but in our house (in a month)... no problem!

2009 Sep 24
I store it in a tight sealing food grade bucket - would not store in a sack per se. Like the homebrew buckets, or paint buckets from Rona or Home Depot. Preston Hardware has a huge selection of sizes in their wine section.

2009 Sep 24
i lack the luxury of free time to be roasting my own coffee. i am triple tasking while at home as it is. i just want to roll out of bed and have a cup of coffee putting in as little effort or thinking as possible. some days (toddler allowing) i actually get to even drink it hot.

i will try some ideal beans the next time i am down there, but at $8 1/2lb, that is barely different than bridgehead.

2009 Sep 24
You can get fair trade coffee locally roasted by Equator coffee (out of Almonte) at Ten Thousand Villages for $11 for 3/4 of a pound. It works out to about $14.60/pound. They have a decent selection of beans and ground.

2009 Sep 24
Price isn't that different, but I find the quality much better.

2009 Sep 24
I bought 1 lbs at Ideal Coffee last week and I believe it was $13... I got the Red Sea blend and it's amazing!