Strange Canned Foods [General]

2009 Jun 15
There's not much that I can say except, this is not for the faint of heart (or stomach).

www.oddee.com/item_96711.aspx

2009 Jun 15
Wow, I'd probably try the cheeseburger for the novelty of it, but that chicken, blech!

2009 Jun 15
Ok maybe these days you wouldn't can chicken, but I'm told my grandmother would can it on a regular basis (at least as regular as they culled the birds). She'd can it in a mason jar. When you can't run to the store for something, you learn how to can.

A lot of those don't seem so strange, so I guess its what you are used to. Some of the ingredients are certainly interesting.

2009 Jun 15
I don't think granny would have canned her chicken whole like that though :-)

I have quite a lot of home-canned meat - pork, beef and chicken. Canning meat is still very common today in Newfoundland as well.

2009 Jun 15
I, for one, am surprised that the authors included canned duck fat on this list. Guess they didn't realize that it's not for direct consumption.

2009 Jun 15
FYI- The canned larvae are available at Arum Korean market on Bank.

And no, I didn't try them.

2009 Jun 15
Thanks Pan

Might buy a can to keep handy for the ol' drunken "I'll give you $20 to eat this". Previous sessions have included the Inferno Vodka hot pepper (2x) and a hot dog + bun spread with 'insanity' hot mustard.

2009 Jun 15
This slips in nicely here (with a language alert);
www.thesneeze.com

Not to be missed: Beggin' Strips and the finale: Fungus (Sulfur Shelf mushrooms)!

2009 Jun 15
Monty-Sounds like parties I go to. Last time we were trying to get someone to drink aloe vera juice which has a thick, bizzare consistancy.

2009 Jun 16
Although not canned, they might as well be. Hormel complete meals, from your desk to the microwave in 90 seconds. www.hormelfoods.com

2009 Jun 16
This reminds me of the entire afternoon I spent looking at the history and composition of US military rations in Wikipedia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRE

Enjoy!

2009 Jun 18
Ah yes Hormel Foods... just goes to prove that old addage, just because one "can" (pun intended) doesn't mean one should!

Of course Hormel made it big in the 1940s with their supplying the US Army with canned meats, which inturn caught on big with the American (Canadian) public after WWII. As a child of the 1960s I can tell you that I was subjected to waaaay too many meals that featured either Spam or their equally disgusting Corned Beef. Ick!

2009 Jun 19
Interesting read Momomoto. Thanks.

I had a friend who taste tested all of the canned Spam-like meats(?) when going to law school. He said you can make a gravy out of the jellied stuff.

The lowest I've sunk was eating vienna sausages, once. Wow- they're like meat infused salt.

2009 Jun 19
in Hawaii, spam sushi is ginormous!

2009 Jun 20
Actually whole chicken in a can is still commercially available and not really that hard to find - they sell it at the Ukrainian Co-op near my house, and we also had one floating around my office in Winnipeg for several years, as a running joke. This photo shows the brand that I've seen the most in stores, though there are other brands available (probably in the USA).

Also, just found a link for a weird canned food gallery - check it out (they also include whole chicken in a can - though to be fair, most of thier choices for the gallery are really just culturally different from what we're used to in North America and are probably not "weird" at all in other parts of the world - prime example of this is huitlacoche in Mexico.

www.wired.com

The ones in this next gallery are more up my alley in terms of true "weird" things to find in a can....bread?????? seriously????

www.wisebread.com

2009 Jun 20
BTW, the Russian can with the teeth sticking out the top says in Russian "Salad". Or rather, it is the Russian transcription of the English world "Salad" (i.e. phonetically transcribed). That's a heck of a salad!