Best sausage on a bun? [General]

2009 Mar 24
Looking for the best sausage I could serve on a bun. From a butcher...ideas?

2009 Mar 24
Go to Adam's Adams Sausages and take your pick

2009 Mar 24
I like bank steet sausage. ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1188

2009 Mar 24
Bank St. Sausage or Warsaw Deli (really, really good kielbasa). I haven't been to Adam's so I can't comment.

2009 Mar 24
Nicastro's on Preston St. makes a killer homemade sausage.

2009 Mar 25
If you are looking for Italian, I would vote for Luciano's on Preston.

2009 Mar 25
The Sausage Kitchen makes awesome sausages. Mind you my opinion might be a little skewed since I like everything they make-;)

2009 Mar 25
If you want to try something a little more adventurous, there is a great guy (Denis) who runs Denis' Gourmet Sausages. I have had them several times, and they are awesome! The ones I had were Thai flavoured, with shrimp, and some other meat? I believe you can buy them at the Glebe Loeb, as well as find them served on the plates of some of the finer establishments in the city. He specializes in 'Thai' flavoured sausages but has some interesting Mediterranean ones as well, and uses a variety of meats (turkey etc). If anyone is interested, I might be able to scrape up his email address... just ask.

2009 Mar 26
The Italian at Nicastro's is much better than Luciano's. It's tastier and leaner. Way too much gristle in Luciano's.

2009 Mar 26
Simpson's Butcher Shop
Street Address:
3700 Downpatrick Road
Gloucester, ON, K1V 8Y9

Sausages made in house. My fav by far... lots of varieties. They have been in business for years and make a mean sausage. My choice Hot Italian. Yummy.

2009 Mar 27
Depends upon what you want in a sausage:

Spicy italian? La Bottega (and they're on sale this week....), low in gristle and yummy!
Fancy gourmet sausage (you know, the boar with cranberry types): Sasloves
Best damned sausage period: Sausage Kitchen.

I really think that this topic is worthy of a sausage-off...perhaps I will talk to my landlord about using his BBQ on Sunday this summer.

2009 Mar 29
But what about German Sausage? Lots of italian ones (I like Luciano's and Farmers pick) but where does one get a good wurst?

2009 Mar 29
I'd love to know that too, OliversRock! Where can one get a truly classic German bratwurst?

One long shot I heard about many years ago is the Zürcher Bratwurst from Mövenpick (now called Richtree Market Richtree Market ) in the Rideau Centre. I don't know if they still sell them and of course that's German-Swiss rather than German but hey, it came highly recommended by a friend who had lived in Zürich.

For reference, Bratwurst: Bratwurst

2009 Mar 29
OK, it's been 9 years since I've been to Germany (sniff), but I'd put some of Adam's stuff up against the best stuff I had there.

2009 Mar 29
Pete's reference to Denis' sausages rang a distant bell here and I found this reference to them, Denis' story, and where they might be found: www2.canada.com
I always liked the Sausage kitchen too, especially for their Hungarian Debreziner, an old fave of mine.

2009 Mar 29
Fresh Foodie pretty certain that the Zuercher Bratwurst is not longer available at the Richtree. I would try the Sausage Kitchen for German sausages--my friend, whose mother is German, raves about them. Pity for me one of the things my fiance will not eat is sausages (unless in pasta!)