Canned Rice [General]

2008 Oct 27
So, my home-canning experiments continue with rice this time!

I was thinking last week about how much I love a good meal with rice + some sort of simple sauce or stew or something on top, and I got to thinking that it might be cool if I could can up some rice for ready-made males both to take for my lunch at work, but also for eating at home when I want something quick but healthy.

And on my very first attempt I got something to work really awesomely!

I used brown rice because that's all I eat. But it's also less prone to going to moosh in the canner.

A slightly heaping 1/3 cup brown rice
1/4 tsp salt
fill with water to the fill level

Process 15 psi for 15 minutes.

Wow, I have to say I don't think I've ever had such perfect rice! And for non-brown-ricers I've found that the processing in the jars somehow takes the "brownness" out of it.

When the rice is taken out of the jar and "flaked" to separate, then nuked, it makes absolutely perfect rice - probably the best I've ever had!

Now I will can up a whack load of it for ready-made meals and the likes. Or for times when my wife is cooking and wants to make some quick rice (I'm always giving her the gears about making white rice - now she has not excuse !!!)

Sep 17
I can open a jar and heat it in the microwave in 3 minutes.

I canned up wild rice - which nobody else in my family likes. So in the past I'd be cooking rice for everyone else and rice for me. Now I just cook the colon-cancer rice for the family, and open a jar of good rice for me.