Wedding Cakes [Food/Vendor]

2008 Aug 8
After the recent article in the Ottawa Citizen (Saturday, August 2, 2008) on "Fancy Cakes" and all the wedding talk here in the last few months... I took the opportunity to create two new tags for these vendors (Wedding Cakes Wedding Cake and Fancy Cakes Fancy Cake).

So Guys & Gals who have recently been married, you might want to review your favourites... as this is an "after the fact" review, you should probably note the date when you used their service.

Cheers!
Food & Think

2008 Aug 11
This is a fabulous idea. Thanks! :)

2008 Aug 11
Shouldn't "Fancy Cake" point to the same thing as the existing "Birthday Cake"? I'm sure Fresh Foodie will rule on that when he's back. But it seems to me that Birthday Cake is a sub-category of Fancy Cake

2008 Aug 11
Zym - I was somewhat conflicted with this idea too (the term "fancy cake" came right out of the Ottawa Citizen article that spawned this topic). In the article they covered all kinds of cakes, Wedding - Birthday - Special Occasions. I think that although a fancy cake could be used as a birthday cake, a birthday cake might not qualify as a fancy cake. For example if one get's a Loblaws slab cake for a birthday party (with it's crisco-ish icing) I wouldn't classify that as a "fancy cake". Fancy cakes generally seems to refer to cakes that are highly decorative (like a wedding cake) but not for a wedding. Such as the one I used in the photo sample here.

Anyways, I figured that Fresh Foodie and I would chat about this after he got back, and he'd decide how the category lined up for the website.

2008 Aug 11
Yeah for me, birthday cake conjures up memories of slab cakes from Costco, or fresh off the truck at your local chain-based supermarket.

2008 Aug 12
Where did that cake come from F&T?? Wow.
And to be honest, there's nothing like a Costco cake for taste!

2008 Aug 12
LadyWhoBrunches - The cake was made by The Girl With The Most Cake the girl with the most cake in celebration of Ottawa Magazine's 10th Anniversary in April of this year, the partial pic I found on the web, didn't do justice to the whole photo that appeared in the magazine... but it gives a general idea.

I referenced it back in April in another cake topic, because I thought it did justice on two fronts, it showcased The Girl With The Most Cake's talents, and the OM's continuing support of the Ottawa food scene, two things that make them both of interest to Ottawa Foodies.

2008 Aug 12
At first glance, my gut tells me to simply associate "Fancy Cake" and "Birthday Cake" with each other by way of the "see also" link. I often use that for foods that have overlap or when one is a subset of another. e.g. Sausages and Bratwurst, or Shawarma and Shish Taouk.

2008 Aug 12
Fresh Foodie - Sounds perfect!

2008 Aug 12
what, no hierarchical taxonomy? :)

or, how about conjoining the categories, e.g., "Fancy and Birthday cakes"?

2008 Aug 12
Hierarchical taxonomy is too limiting for real world applications. What the heck is a platypus anyway? ;-)

2008 Aug 12
An edge case?

2008 Aug 12
i'm sure someone will also jump in to say "good to eat". :)

2008 Aug 12
I'm going to jump in here to talk about how much I love the Girl With The Most Cake. Super friendly. Tasty. Beautiful. "The girl with the most cake" is a lyric from one of my favourite songs by Hole. I get to eat one every Saturday morning for breakfast at the Carp Farmers market with an Equator coffee if I so desire. Ahh... I want a cake!!! It almost pains me to take the first bite and ruin the beautiful piping, but it hasn't stopped me yet...

2008 Aug 12
You have got to go to The Cake Shop on Greenbank road, their cakes are a work of art and taste like heaven. Real buttercream not the waxy shortening some places call buttercream. They also make fabulous cupcakes.

2008 Aug 13
Me thinks that cakelady's reply belongs on the reviews...because it makes it hard to reply to (I started writing a reply, then realized what I was writing was a review! Gah!)