Good pouring 500ml pyrex? [General]

2008 May 2
I've got a 500ml Anchor-Hocking "Fire King" measure and it's absolutely terrible for pouring. I still just cannot figure the thing out after years of using it. Sometimes it pours perfectly, but usually it dribbles everywhere and runs down the side as I pour. Grrrrr! I actually find it hard to believe a company can sell something like this which fails to function in it's very basic function.

Or am I just stupid or something?

Does anyone know of a good 500ml pyrex that never fails to pour properly?

2008 May 2
I have two of those Pyrex measuring cups and IMO the pouring spout is not wide enough. Which is really annoying when you are making a double batch of soup and have to pour the stock slowly or end up with liquid all over the place. (Mind you I'm no Martha Stewart in the cleanliness department...) All the pyrexes seem to have that annoyingly small spout. Not sure if any measuring cups are any better. I guess I will have to make a field trip to Paradis or Kitchenalia and see what I can find.

2008 May 2
We've got a set of Pyrex brand prepware (not Anchor Hocking)... it works fine for non-lumpy liquids! I find the "spout" is pronounced enough to keep things clean, where with the Fireking, what I remember of it anyway, is that the spout is wider and is thusly "spilly". I'm sure there are some good reasons for these designs as far as physics, surface tension of liquids, etc, are concerned.

2008 May 2
I find most pyrex with thick enough glass is hard to pour from. I keep a plastic one handy, which is much easier for pouring, due to it being not as thick, especially for thicker liquids like soups.

2008 May 3
Zym - I too think it is a case of physics, something about making that small notch in the side of the bowl, and weakening the structure. I think they've always been made this way, I know the large (4 cup) one my Mom had as a kid dripped. I also remember that full it was very heavy, and kind of wonky to pour from because of its weight (so I couldn't pour straight if I tried). I currently own a 2 cupper, can't say I use it much for hot liquids (sometimes gravy if there is a crowd over during the holidays - and well then I just stick a ladle in it).

2008 May 3
I believe there is also a small amount of technique to making the most of a pour from a less than perfect container. Think pouring from a teapot; I'm sure every Brit has the talent bred into their genes. (I'm not British, so those of you that are, correct me if I'm wrong). When you want to stop the flow from the spout, you (in a smooth, but reasonably quick motion) lift the teapot (pyrex) while at the same time reducing the pour rate to nothing (i.e. tilting it back to normal) By the time you've stopped the flow, the teapot (pyrex) should be from 12, to 18 inches above where it started. Anyone out there have similar thoughts?

2008 May 3
It's not ending the pour that seems to be my problem, it's starting it. But only sometimes. I'm still baffled as to why it's hit and miss. Been trying to figure out what the difference is but can't

2008 May 3
Ah.. sorry zym, I guess I didn't read your first comment well enough. I've had this problem too sometimes, and my experience has been that the container starts to misbehave when pouring if it is very full. In fact, if you have it as full as it's max measure (such as 2 cup, or 4 cup) it will often do this. It seems the angle of the lip, when the liquid first starts pouring is not enough to make the liquid leave the lip, and it dribbles down the side.. It seems worse with thicker liquids as well. I don't usually have the problem when pouring a half measure (1 cup from a 2 cup container, or 2 cups from a 4 cup container).

2008 May 4
Pete - LOL, in my experience pouring from a teapot (and a majority of them seem to be less than perfect) is not just an art, it is a major frustration of any dedicated tea drinker. So few restaurants invest in a piece of hardware that can actually accomplish the job spill-free. Restaurants that do get Bonus Points from me!

2008 May 4
Zym - oddly enough, I was thinking of spouts this morning as I poured my coffee from my Bunn coffee carafe! I looked at the design, very interesting... this carafe has NEVER been "spilly", much like my experience with my Pyrex, so I took a look at the two of them, very similarly designed pouring spouts - unlike the look of the AH Fire King.
Then again, maybe I've got the "English" touch with my wonderful ability to pour tea perfectly (must be a family thing).

2008 May 4
It's all Zym's fault. Every time I pour, I get a dribble now. Damn you Murphy!

2008 May 4
I remember reading a fluid dynamics paper on tea-pouring, but I can't find it. What I will instead do is hazard a wild guess that the thickness of the spout may have something to do with dribbles, since a thicker surface may tend to attract the liquid more.

I'm only basing this on the fact that my Bodum is pretty good at not dribbling, and it's made of quite thin glass.

2008 May 4
Hmm, this sort of touches on the subject: how-come.net

2008 Aug 1
I was at Home Hardware earlier today buying a fishing license when I noticed some Pyrex ones on the shelf. I looked at one and it appeared to have a different lip than the Fire King that I have. Got it home and it does indeed appear to pour very well - far better than the Fire King.

I'll report back after a few days of use. I use one of these when I make coffee, so it will get a lot of use in short order.

2008 Aug 2
forget glass measuring cups! the lips on the spouts on all glass measuring cups are simply too "thick" and too "round" at the tip that they fail to funnel liquid properly without dribbles.

if you go to restaurant supplies stores like Jordash on Industrial Rd, CA Paradis on Bank and Riverdale, and Russell Foods on Preston , closer to Carling Ave, they carry 250ml, 500ml, 1000ml, very good quality plastic measuring cups that have spouts that never dribble because the lips are thinner and pointier. if you are concerned about pouring hot liquids using plastic cups, IMO, it shouldn't be a problem as the hot liquid doesn't stay more than 10 sec in the cup anyway.

i am a baker and i measure and pour lots maple syrup, oil, juice, etc on a daily basis using plastic measuring cup and love it! at home, i have both fireking and pyrex 250 ml cups at home and they are both heavy and not as effective as their plastic counterpart.

2008 Aug 2
The Pyrex seems to work great with no mess. I get a slight dribble for a half second from time to time. Since I'm heating water in it in the MW, the hot liquid stays in contact with it a lot longer than 10 seconds. I prefer to use glass when I can.