Make your mouth water ... [Travel]

2008 Mar 2
Going through the trip photos of my nephew and his wife from their trip to AsiaPac (Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Lao, Australia and New Zealand), I found many mouth-watering dishes shown in their photos.

So, I am going to share with you their food photos from their 6-month long trips.

Their first destination was Japan and one of the Japanese restaurant they went to was Ninja Akasaka in Akasaka, Tokyo. It looks like the restaurant was designed with a special theme to differenetiate themselves. Very unique and fun!

2008 Mar 2
Seaweed salad? Looks nice!

2008 Mar 2
Tofu appetizer?

2008 Mar 2
This looked like octopus to me.

2008 Mar 2
Isn't this cute to hold your drink glasses?

2008 Mar 2
A ninja waitress serving one of the dishes. Fun!

2008 Mar 2
This looks like salmon teriyaki (main course?)

2008 Mar 2
Don't know what this is. Maybe dessert? Looks like pineapple slices?

2008 Mar 2
Hello Kitty dessert? Oh! So cute!

2008 Mar 2
Oh! I like this part. It looks like the whole dinner experience was quite fun! Can't wait to hear their story when they are back to Canada.

2008 Mar 3
Mouthwatering, indeed! I bet even that humble-looking tofu dish is fresh and delicious.

One thing these photos capture is how a certain genre of Japanese restaurants can inject some good old goofiness (ninjas and hello kitty) into otherwise "serious" cuisine/settings.

I wonder if the Hello Kitty trademark holders know about this infringement. :)

2008 Mar 3
Reminds me of the old John Belushi skit where he was the Samurai working as either a waiter or a chef in a restaurant. Youtube didn't seem to have it ...

2008 Mar 3
that's so funny!
I just totally watched this video on youtube today:

sounds like fun...great pix Ashley! :D

2008 Mar 8
They also went to a sake bar (quiet type of bar?) in Azabu (south of central Tokyo) to enjoy Japanese sake. I think the sake bar is called Onpoo?

Azabu (麻布) is known as Tokyo's most prominent upscale residential district: many artists, business people, and celebrities reside there. Azabu is also the location of many international embassies and consulates, as well as a large foreign population.

2008 Mar 8
It really looks like a place to just enjoy Japanese sake.

2008 Mar 8
An array of Japanese sake bottles. I wonder if we can find these types of sake in Ottawa.

2008 Mar 8
My nephew also visited the Tsukiji Market (築地市場) in Tokyo, Japan to see the tuna auction and auctions of fresh fish, urchin and live fish. I heard that this is the biggest wholesale fish and seafood market in the world and is a major attraction for foreign visitors.
www.tsukiji-market.or.jp

They had lunch at Sushi Zanmai Bekkan which is a popular sushi place in the Tsukiji Market area. It stays open 24 hours every day. Prices are very reasonable! If you like fatty tuna, drop in this place when you are in Tokyo.

Sushi Zanmai Bekkan
10-6 Tsukiji 4 Chuo-ku Tokyo 104-0045
Tel: TEL:03-5148-3737
www.kiyomura.co.jp/sushi-e/

2008 Mar 8
This was the sashimi from Sushi Zanmai they ordered.

2008 Mar 8
Made-to-order sushi and nigri.

2008 Mar 15
Your trip to Japan is not complete if you haven’t tried the Kaiseki ryōri (懐石料理), a traditional multi-course Japanese dinner. The food offered is not just for the taste buds, but for your eyes too.

Kaiseki cuisine is a type of art work that balances the taste, texture, appearance, and colors of food. Only fresh seasonal ingredients are used and are prepared to enhance their flavor.

The hotel my nephew stayed in Shimoda offers Kaiseki cuisine.

Before they started the meal, they had to wear the traditional Japanese clothing (i.e., Kimono). The photo shows the kimono placed nicely at the entrance of the dining room.

2008 Mar 15
A variety of dishes are served in small portion. Each dish has its own unique taste. Dishes are beautifully arranged and garnished and presented on colorful plates (see photo).

2008 Mar 15
Delicious lobster miso soup!

Miso is a traditional Japanese soup made from softened miso paste (you can get it from most of the Chinese grocery stores like Kowloon Market (Kowloon Market) or 168 Market (New 168 Market ); they are in the open cold shelf section).

2008 Mar 15
Kaiseki consists of a number of course: a bowl of miso soup, an appetizer, a sliced dish of seasonal sashimi, a simmered dish (e.g., vegetables served with meat, fish or tofu), a grilled dish, and a steamed course, and several smaller side dishes (e.g., broiled seasonal fish; chilled, lightly-cooked vegetables; a seasonal dessert) at the discretion of the chef.

My nephew said it was worth the money for an extraordinary experience and memories!

2008 Mar 15
Wow, great meal for sure! Kaiseki is art. I've had a couple Kaiseki and am in full agreement with your nephew (re. the expense)!

Unfortunately (and not surprising), there's relatively few restaurants in Canada serving Japanese of this genre. The best in Ontario, i've heard, is Hashimoto's outside of Toronto (Mississauga). Hashimoto's photo gallery might provide further insight into the complexity of this cuisine and add some context to Ashley's photos:

www.kaiseki.ca

And, Ashley, about your question above about the availability of sake, what we get here (in Canada) is generally not that good (i.e., cooking wine and a bit better). Apparently, the best place outside of Japan is NYC; i hear there's a place w/ an entire wall (or more) dedicated to good sake.

2008 Apr 11
Do we have McPork in Canada? CAD$1 for a McPork burger in Japan.

2008 Apr 11
According to the news story surrounding this photo and, I thought 'McPork' was the nickname some people gave this poor boy.

and I'm NOT trying ot be funny here (for a change).

Sad ... just sad.

2008 Apr 12
According to my "McRib" research recently on the web, well there are some countries willing to embrace Pork as a McDonald's menu option, and some who still won't go there! Obviously Japan is ok with it as a menu item.