Ashton Green - Sale [General]

2008 Feb 19
I just got an Ashton Green catalogue in the mail and it advertised that they were having a sale! Just thought I'd pass along the news, it seems they have a SALE page on their website: www.ashtongreen.com

Looks like I'll be getting some cutting boards for myself and a springform pan or two for my SO. Oh, and maybe a few Milseán Demerara Butter Crunch Bars for good measure! *drool* D'oh! And they've got some of their ceramic knives on sale! Must... save... money...

2008 Feb 20
Chimichimi.. don't 'buy' a cutting board, MAKE ONE! I recently made a wicked butcher block cutting board top for a mobile cabinet in my kitchen, and if I do say so myself, it turned out quite well. It's about 2 inches thick, solid maple, and not only has a drippings groove, but the working area is slightly lower than the edge. This was done so that I 'never again' have runaway drippings when cutting a beef roast.

2008 Feb 20
Pete,

Nice work I must say! Where can one source the materials for butcher block? Is there someplace local that you picked it up?

2008 Feb 20
I was a little extravagant (and lazy) and bought my wood at The WoodSource in Manotick Station. If I were doing it again, and since I have a pretty full workshop ( thickness planer, table saw etc) I'd look for a cheaper source of the wood. One place to look is on the bulletin board at Lee Valley, where folks that have wood to sell post on the board.

2008 Feb 20
Ikea sells nice butcher-block countertops in various sizes. We have 2 of our 3 counters done in this - which reminds me - time to sand and treat them again. It's been a few years and it showing.

2008 Feb 20
I do like the idea of butcher-block countertops more than marble/quartz/whatever, since you cut directly on them. When I move into an actual real live house, getting butcher-block is a consideration.

Butcher-block with the little plug-hole in the corner for garbage, like the one that Jamie Oliver had in . . . whatever Jamie Oliver show was done in his "apartment." So handy.

2008 Feb 20
Like Momo, once I move in to an actual house I'll be getting butcher block countertops. I currently have a butcherblock workstation on wheels, which is used primarily as a pastry/baking station for my SO. I also have a massive butcher block on my counter top, but I would never prepare/handle meat on that since it has a few gouges in it thus making it impossible to sterilize. I looked at (and demo'd) bamboo cutting boards, but I hate the feel.

2008 Feb 21
I seem to remember a study done on whether 'old fashioned' wooden cutting boards, or newfangled plastic ones were more sanitary. The study concluded that the old fashioned one was better. Although both got 'cut up'.. the wood (maple) would naturally kill bacteria, while the plastic one didn't. Anyone else remember that study?

2008 Feb 21
yes and it was true. Although I generally keep a plastic board for meat and fish since I can soak it in bleach once in a while. there was good article in the February cooks illustrated on cutting boards.

2008 Feb 21
I use plastic boards for meat and onions/garlic. The latter for fairly obvious reasons. As for the meat - I can toss the plastic bord into the dishwasher. Can't do that with wood.

2008 Feb 21
I read that wood cutting boards, if washed properly, retain less bacteria if washed in the sink. But that said, plastic cutting boards can be put in the dishwasher, and that kills germs best.

2008 Feb 22
Although I love the beauty of a wood cutting board, I do appreciate the cleanliness of the plastic ones... alas for now at least I have plastic.